Topic: My List of Suggestions

First off, I love this game.  Been waiting to play a game like this on the surface of a planet for six years now. 

I've only been playing for about two days, but I've run across several things that I think would make the game more accessible and more enjoyable:

1) Font Size:

Issue: At 1680X1050 and higher resolution the text is very difficult to read.  This is coming from people with perfectly normal eyesight and from people with corrected vision. 

Solution:Increasing the font size along with the resolution would be great.

2) CTRL Button:

Issue 1:  Many people have their VOIP client key bind set for CTRL.  When CTRL is depressed while walking, the mech stops walking.

Solution 1:  Fix the code so that the mech doesn't stop moving.

Issue 2: The CTRL button cannot be remapped to anything else.  Some people have expressed an interest in remapping the CTRL button as the targeting button.

Solution 2:
Allow the CTRL button to be remapped.

3) Splitting Ammo:  When a mech is outside of a terminal it is not possible to split a stack of ammo and load those stacks into different guns.  When this is attempted all of the ammo will load into a single gun.

Solution:  Allow ammo to be dragged and dropped into a weapon by stacks without pulling all ammo of that type into that single weapon.

4)  Lasers:  Lasers use an exceedingly large amount of accumulator per cycle, on top of having the exact same ammo consumption as other weapons.  In PVP if someone is running a full rack of lasers, running an armor repper, running a sensor amplifier and is being accumulator drained by an opponent, then they will be dead in the water in just a couple of cycles.

Solution: Either move to an ammo type that only needs to be changed every few shots, or lower the amount of accumulator consumed.

5)  Windows:  Windows that can be opened outside a terminal/outpost and inside should remain open when deploying or entering said terminal.  For instance, if the cargo window is open, and a player deploys, then the cargo window will be closed upon deploying from the terminal.

Solution:  Allow windows that can be accessed either inside or outside of a terminal to stay open upon changing states.

2 (edited by Hourglass 2010-12-09 20:23:07)

Re: My List of Suggestions

6)  Mouse Control Options:  A few players have expressed an interest in being able to move the camera veiwpoint around their mech without changing the direction of the mech.  Yes, this can be accomplished by rotating through the WASD keys while moving the mouse and holding right click down, but sometimes a player just wants to quickly swing the camera view behind them to see if they are being followed without having to perform keyboard acrobatics.

Solution:  Put everything that can be interacted with on the Landmarks viewpane.  Make tabbed viewpanes that can show harvestable/mineable materials.  Then put an options under game options that allows a player to toggle the left click button to move the camera angle without moving the mech.

7)  Targetting:  The issue here is that when a player targets more than one entity, and then destroys their primary target, another primary must be highlighted and then another hotkey or click is required. Considering how close this game resembles EVE, I'm surprised that instead of copying it's remarkably easy targeting method, the developers decided to invent a decidedly more clunky method of prioritizing targets.

Solution:  Scrap the method where primary and secondary targets are chosen during locking an entity.  Instead the primary list is generated in order of locked targets.  For instance, if you lock three targets in a row, then the first one you lock automatically becomes primary, when that target is destroyed, then the next one that was locked automatically becomes primary... ect ect.  Switching primaries should require nothing more than highlighting which target you wish to primary next.

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions soon.  Like I said, I've only been playing two days so these are my suggestions so far.

I like most of these, number 4 though seems ok to me the way it is, and i am a Asintec laser guy on both toons.
Each weapon has advantages and drawbacks....

Guns have the least overall (untrained) DPS, but the ammo is the cheapest, and they take the least amount of accumulator, lasers have a lot more DPS, fast recycle time, but use the most accumulator.
Those are the main two i use, i am sure others know the drawbacks and advantages of the other weapon types better than i.

NOTE: this is aside from the LOS problems which is a bug

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

I'm gonna post a few more short ones:

8)  Chat:  The chat window needs several more items.

- The ability to right click on people's names in the chat window and get the same menu that you would get if you right clicked their picture on the right.  It's a pain in the butt to see someone in trade saying "I'll buy that from you", then you have to scroll down through the hundreds of names to find their picture and right click on it.

- The ability to link items into chat.  It's far easier to help people out when they are asking questions about fittings and mechs, when you can simply drag and drop an item from the market/cargo/personal hangar into chat.

- The ability to link fitted mechs into chat.  When you want to discuss optimal fitting options for your mech, the best way to do it is to link them something that they can click on and see what you have fitted.  Typing every module out is a pain, especially when the community hasn't really agreed on acronyms for a lot of things yet.

Mostly good stuff, but about the lasers.  They drain accu more then other weapons, true.  But they do pretty decent damage, and have the longest range.  Lasers are for kiting, not only in pve, but in pvp as well.  If your going lasers, your goal is to stay out of range of your enemies and blast them from a far, your basicaly a sniper.  thats why you don't get as much accu for things like repair and defense. Your not suppose to be getting hit or in range of drainers in the first place.

Hadouken wrote:

Mostly good stuff, but about the lasers.  They drain accu more then other weapons, true.  But they do pretty decent damage, and have the longest range.  Lasers are for kiting, not only in pve, but in pvp as well.  If your going lasers, your goal is to stay out of range of your enemies and blast them from a far, your basicaly a sniper.  thats why you don't get as much accu for things like repair and defense. Your not suppose to be getting hit or in range of drainers in the first place.

Well lasers are also the bonus'ed weapon for both the most heavily armored and slowest mechs in the game.  Keeping range and DPS'ing sounds great until you've got a Kain bearing down on you at top speed with shields up and you're slow poking it backwards.

I agree that the highest DPS weapon in the game should probably use more ACC, no doubt, however they use just tad too much.  I just think the amount burned per shot needs to be modified a bit, but still the highest use weapon.

Hourglass wrote:
Hadouken wrote:

Well lasers are also the bonus'ed weapon for both the most heavily armored and slowest mechs in the game.  Keeping range and DPS'ing sounds great until you've got a Kain bearing down on you at top speed with shields up and you're slow poking it backwards.

I agree that the highest DPS weapon in the game should probably use more ACC, no doubt, however they use just tad too much.  I just think the amount burned per shot needs to be modified a bit, but still the highest use weapon.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

8 (edited by Hourglass 2010-12-12 16:14:48)

Neoxx wrote:

This is a post for the GM's and Dev's and if I'm wrong about something, then they'll see that, and correct my misconception and do what needs to be done.

Get a yellow Dev box next to your name and then tell me allllll about how wrong I am.

9 (edited by Hadouken 2010-12-12 12:36:50)

Hourglass wrote:
Neoxx wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

This is a post for the GM's and Dev's and if I'm wrong about something, then they'll see that, and correct my misconception and do what needs to be done.

Get a yellow Dev box next to your name and then tell me allllll about how wrong I am.

lasers are the lightest weapons, so even though the laser based bots have lower base speed, the other mechs are slowed down way more once they are fitted with their heavier equipment.  And that kain has what, 6 or 8 kph more then the laser version? its not a huge difference.  Equipment and extensions will determine if they can catch you.

Medium lasers have 40% less then mass then magentic and missile weapons.  thats going to have a major impact on speed.  Lasers have about 66% less mass then autocannons too.

You don't need to be a GM or DEV to understand the game mechanics.

Neoxx wrote:

I don't agree with Neoxx very often, but he is right with that sentence.

Also, before this goes overboard - please edit your posts in this topic to be within the rules.

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

11 (edited by Hourglass 2010-12-12 16:12:42)

Recognizer wrote:
Neoxx wrote:

I don't agree with Neoxx very often, but he is right with that sentence.

Also, before this goes overboard - please edit your posts in this topic to be within the rules.

No.  He's not right with his sentence.  He's arrogant and pompous.  Hadouken explained where my misconception was.  I have an entire list of, what I believe to be good suggestions.  He doesn't comment on any of them, he just drive-by-flames a single comment I made under my list of suggestions, without any explanation.

Having played EVE for the past six years straight, I forgot to take into account the fact that almost all gear effects your mass/speed in this game.  Only a small handful of modules effect your speed in that game, and guns aren't one of them.

Yes, this isn't EVE, but he didn't have to be an *** about it.  Besides, if he wants to take on any of my 100Mill+ SP characters over there, he's welcome to have a try.  I guess we're both just experts at different games... at this point.

You're also comparing a 1v1 situation.  Even if you are correct in your assumptions and/or calculations, and yes the Kain is the fastest mech speed fit, its useless to balance this game on a 1v1 basis.  We have our weak target and worst nightmare for a reason.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

Neoxx wrote:

You're also comparing a 1v1 situation.  Even if you are correct in your assumptions and/or calculations, and yes the Kain is the fastest mech speed fit, its useless to balance this game on a 1v1 basis.  We have our weak target and worst nightmare for a reason.

Actually, I'm having difficulty understanding that concept as well.  From what I can tell, I can fit ammo that does all different types of damage.  Sure, if I'm running with 'Volcano' in my guns, then anything with a thermal hole in their resistance is gonna be screaming.. but if I see something that I know has a different resistance hole, I'd just swap ammo to one that does that type of damage.

Is there something else I'm missing in the rock, paper, scissors design?

You always have a primary damage type that you cannot change.  Lasers can diversify the most with the multispectral.  Yes, you will have a primary target with your weapon type, but when we're speaking of only bots, the opportunity for resistance buffing is quite low.  Waspishes pretty much cant buff unless in a tanking/remote rep situation, Baphomets have 3 lows so they can use 1 resistance plate to turn their lowest resistance into their highest.

With mechs it gets a lot more interesting.  Most will be sporting resistance plates, if not multiples of them, so its a lot harder to tell what your enemy is weakest to.  At that point theres not a whole lot of difference to their resistances if they fit correctly, and it comes down mostly to your dps and strategy, picking weak targets is almost impossible to do.

Neoxx wrote:

You always have a primary damage type that you cannot change.  Lasers can diversify the most with the multispectral.  Yes, you will have a primary target with your weapon type, but when we're speaking of only bots, the opportunity for resistance buffing is quite low.  Waspishes pretty much cant buff unless in a tanking/remote rep situation, Baphomets have 3 lows so they can use 1 resistance plate to turn their lowest resistance into their highest.

With mechs it gets a lot more interesting.  Most will be sporting resistance plates, if not multiples of them, so its a lot harder to tell what your enemy is weakest to.  At that point theres not a whole lot of difference to their resistances if they fit correctly, and it comes down mostly to your dps and strategy, picking weak targets is almost impossible to do.

Ahhh, ok.  That makes total sense.  The rock/paper/scissors method is mostly at the Bot phase of the game.

Heck, after looking over the accumulator extensions in the game, and finally noticing that accumulator injectors exist in this game as well, I may be totally off base on the Laser/Accumulator argument in the first place.  It's just hard to see that when every time my five lasers fire on a Baphomet and 25% off my ACC disappears.