Topic: Player Questions after the Tutorial

Well I became interested and just found out about Perpetuum(man this game needs some ads I think it came out over a year ago?). I have been playing Eve Online a lot in the past(played over 6 month's) so am pretty familiar with this setup, which is refreshing after coming from swtor(forgot how much I disliked theme-park games and gave that a shot lol, been on mmo hiatus since I left that 2 months after it launched).

Anyways so far I have a couple of questions if anyone is kind enough to answer smile.

1. The tutorial explains the different zones like alpha, and beta and explains what the yellow bars mean as they are beta zones and you can pvp. However it does not explain what the red lines on some of them means?

2. The player base seems very small compared to Eve, with only 42 players online right now. I read in the thread below mine peak is usually around 200 players(is that US time)? Also after checking the "Most Deadly Agents" the player with the most kills this month has only 30, and I am primarily a PvP player. So does this mean I will have a lot of trouble finding PvP when I start doing it daily?

3. How long does it take to get viable in PvP? In Eve it took about two month's to become pretty viable and for me to start getting kills, however you could play a small roll in pvp very quick after starting if you wanted.

4. I just got my first mission and the tutorial says these missions are not intended to solo? Can I solo any of them, is it like Eve where you can solo up to around level 3 easily? I plan to join a corp if I stick with the game, but being so new and unsure if I want to sub I would like to wait a bit and see if I plan to stick around so I don't join a corp and then leave them within a week.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Player Questions after the Tutorial

1. Red lines are Gamma islands (nullsec since I gather you're an EVE player). So Alpha = Highsec but without suicide gankers, Beta = Lowsec, Gamma = 0.0

2. A much better indicator of PVP activity is the unofficial but official killboard, http://perp-kill.net/
So for example if you tally it all up, so far the top 10 corps were involved in 563 kills, so the average would be ~26 deaths per day. Naturally since multiple corps are on some of the kills its not accurate but it gives you a basic idea.

3. You can be viable as a tackler (not a Rifter tackler, a Stiletto tackler) from day 1 if you distribute your points correctly.

4. You can solo all missions, but they're not really worth wasting time on. Like in EVE the serious corps run a communal model with ship-replacement programs and require participation on farming/mining ops. Alternatively there are capitalist corps who have internal markets with discounts and stuff.

If you got any questions you can PM me in-game, I'd be happy to help you out. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Thanks for the reply Syndic and the help in-game last night! Even with a smaller player-base I suppose the community is probably much better, and glad to hear I wont run into issues finding PvP. I may have to sub after my trial big_smile.

Also I have read something about player built structures and housing, have those been implemented yet?

Yes they have and it is quite awesome.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Yes they have and it is quite awesome.

Good to hear, one more question before I take my leave to play smile.

I have been reading about multiboxing being rampant in PvP which intimidates me. I don't mind people using it for mining and pvp, but I do have a problem with using multiple accounts for PvP. I am currently low on cash will be for the foreseeable future as I am going to school and out of work(though looking for a part-time job). I don't mind subbing two accounts in the future when I need to since the game is only $10 a month, however more than that would be out of the question. The only thing I would want to use the other account for would be making money via mining/playing the market though and not PvP. Will this be a problem or if I join a corp would they care if I PvP solo in general?

Thanks again for the help!

Odd, I wanted to edit some grammar errors but there is no edit button for posts? This has to be the only forum I have not seen an edit but which is somewhat annoying lol.

7 (edited by ZUBO 2012-06-21 16:04:16)

Well most people dual-box in pvp by using a "boost-bot" with remote sensor amps, remote reppers and sometimes nexus modules etc. Most people only control only one pew-pew bot at a time.

Since this boost robots are almost always industrial bots you can train for them as pvp-support and still do some mining.

I myself do not use them and have to rely on corp-mates but that is not a big problem. They are mostly used for larger engagements anyway.

Player build structures are very nice, but you have be very rich and powerful to actually use them as intended. The entry-level is high for the current playerbase.

Edit: i have an edit button wink

ZUBO wrote:

Well most people dual-box in pvp by using a "boost-bot" with remote sensor amps, remote reppers and sometimes nexus modules etc. Most people only control only one pew-pew bot at a time.

Since this boost robots are almost always industrial bots you can train for them as pvp-support and still do some mining.

I myself do not use them and have to rely on corp-mates but that is not a big problem. They are mostly used for larger engagements anyway.

Player build structures are very nice, but you have be very rich and powerful to actually use them as intended. The entry-level is high for the current playerbase.

Sounds good, wasn't sure if getting an indy bots training up for combat would take long. I would probably try to not use it for that however, as it just seems unfair to me in a way for someone who can't afford it but that's another topic. I assumed the player structures would be pretty expensive, but it is a goal I can look forward to some day which helps in motivation.

lol about the edit button, guess trial members are out of luck on that feature! Look forward to seeing people in game and thanks again for all the quick help.

9 (edited by GLiMPSE 2012-06-21 18:53:00)

Kelron Vladseal wrote:
ZUBO wrote:

Sounds good, wasn't sure if getting an indy bots training up for combat would take long. I would probably try to not use it for that however, as it just seems unfair to me in a way for someone who can't afford it but that's another topic. I assumed the player structures would be pretty expensive, but it is a goal I can look forward to some day which helps in motivation.

lol about the edit button, guess trial members are out of luck on that feature! Look forward to seeing people in game and thanks again for all the quick help.

If you're legitimately seeking out a tackle role, you can do fine solo as a tackler, while a follow bot would help a little it's much less pronounced then on the larger heavy mechs who have an innate ability to chew through energy and in general benefit more from the stacking effects of mods in their heads.

If you stick with ewar  you'll find that in larger fleet fights you'll end up pairing up with another ewar to give each other remote amps as your head slots are important and arm slots are largely useless (where RSA's go).

So for a single account, i'd say, you're on the correct path for what you want and what you're willing to invest.

Kelron when you played eve, did you ever purchase Plex with in game currency, seeing how you said $ was tightk?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Kelron when you played eve, did you ever purchase Plex with in game currency, seeing how you said $ was tightk?

I never quite up a high enough daily income to be able to purchase plex unfortunately, though I was getting close. I ended up leaving Eve because money was tight as that was around the time I got laid off ironically.

GLiMPSE wrote:
Kelron Vladseal wrote:
ZUBO wrote:

If you're legitimately seeking out a tackle role, you can do fine solo as a tackler, while a follow bot would help a little it's much less pronounced then on the larger heavy mechs who have an innate ability to chew through energy and in general benefit more from the stacking effects of mods in their heads.

If you stick with ewar  you'll find that in larger fleet fights you'll end up pairing up with another ewar to give each other remote amps as your head slots are important and arm slots are largely useless (where RSA's go).

So for a single account, i'd say, you're on the correct path for what you want and what you're willing to invest.

grr no edit button strikes again lol, accidentally hit post instead of quoting your post too. Thanks for the tip and glad I chose the right path with ewar smile.

13 (edited by Macavity 2012-06-22 00:47:43)

Im somewhere inbetween being a new guy and being a veteran. I played the game in last stages of beta,Early access and maybe 6 weeks more before taking a break and coming back just two weeks ago roughly.

The game now is different,more complex,and even though i had the advantage of some previous experience and a lot of skillpoints to spend i still found that the number one thing, now aswell as in the beta, was to join a corporation.
First of all it gives you greater and safer access to all areas of the game aswell as possible gear and or bots to use permanently or borrow for mining/combat etc.

But most important of all is the fact that usually you have a veteran miner,pvper,e-war guy, someone whos good at green bots,someone who knows yellow bots well etc.. If you are new to the game this is a huge help. You will be able to not only get on advice on what you might find the most fun to play but also what the best and fastest way for you to get to where you want to be.

Plus most corporations ( well,all i think? ) run Teamspeak or similiar voice chats and its just great to talk to the people you are playing with and have some laughs that makes the tedious stuff fun. I find that often when im taking a short break from the game just to eat a sandwich or maybe read something interesting on the net i stay on the voice chat and talk. Just makes for a much more enjoyable game experience.

So if you decide to sub after your trial ends i recommend you post in the agent recruitment forum and join a corporation as that will open the game up so much more for you. In the beginning it will be a lot to take in but just try to find what role you want for your first character and find out as much as you can about that,and all the other stuff will fall into place along the way eventually. If you dont understand what the miners talk about as a combat character it wont affect you much and eventually you will understand it and vice versa.

As for the two or more accounts thing. I have three atm but pretty much only use 1 regularly.
In large scale PvP i *may* use 1 follow bot with remote sensor amps ( Increase locking range,reduce locking time for a friendly target ). I use this on my main bot so he can equip other modules and not have to wear sensor amps of his own.

When i dont do this i can often find someone else in a large group to do the same thing for me. And if i think i wont and if i think locking time and range will be a problem i sacrifice a tuner module or two (increased damage and critical hit %) to wear my own sensor amps and its no big deal.

Certainly running more than one account has it perks but thats all it is too,especially once you join a corporation.
With only one account you simply provide what ever it is you specialized in,and the things that you require to do that will most likely be provided for you.

Best of luck!

My Nationality: Swedish

My favourite Quote: "You can never be too rich or too thin, or have too much foreskin"
Letters of urology

Thanks for the post Macavity, I tried joining a small corp already but he wont reply so assuming they don't recruit trial accounts. If I go ahead and sub in the next few days will I keep the rest of my trial time as well as gain the 30 days? Also I was told EM guns are better than firearms yesterday, however the Light EM-GUN seems worse on dmg and cycle time compared to the light autocannon? However it does have a higher optimal range, is that because I just need start putting points into my weapon usage for EM weapons now as a Nimquol I assume?

Sorry for all the questions tongue

Never mind about the gun question, it's a bit different than Eve in the information windows guess you have to have the gun actually fitted to see the difference from your abilities. The EM gun seems much better after figuring that out, still curious about the sub question though.

16 (edited by Macavity 2012-06-22 01:47:27)

Well im a green bot so i cant really break this answer down for you but yes EM weapons are the blue bots weapon of choice, up close its like a 12 gauge shotgun smile

The firearms and autocannons are more a niché thing,used to be popular but now i dont think its something you should spend EP in.
Also with regards to EP, its better to save EP when you are unsure where to put it. Its perfectly fine to have some EP saved up for when you have a clear "line of sight" to what extensions you will need,what type of character you want to develop ( combat i assume? ) and good confidence and maybe advice from someone who plays the same faction as you on what extensions are the most relevant to develop first.

Also raising skills to level 5-7 can sometimes be very cheap whereas 9-10 can be anywhere from expensive to extremely,extremely expensive. Since usually several extensions are responsible for your weapons and also your bots bonuses its usually more effective to not pour in weeks of skill points to get from 9-10 and gain 2% efficiency when you can gain 5-10% or more raising multiple relevant skills to a medium level.

So when in doubt, just hold on to it. smile

Edit:
Oh and one more thing,
you can require as much as 700k EP to be "perfected" in your role but you can require as little as 20-70k EP to be perfect for a role still. And the further you progress ,you spend more EP for very small incriments of improvement and 1 vs 1 against the 700k EP guy in his best bot vs your best bot you likely wont make it but in a 3vs3, if you do your part you will be perfect in your role even if in a pure numbers game you lack some percentags here and there, you can still perform. So it doesnt take an unreasonable ammount of time to catch up to veteran players to the point where you can challenge them and/or be a real pain in the *** on the battlefield, especially if you are specialized in one role and not spread out.

Heck,the small bots even get a perk against mech in that their small size reduces damage taken (usually) especially from missile bots and they can catch up/outrun them. And even if you cant pilot a heavy mech you sure as hell can shoot them,or slow them down (demobilize) and make yourself a valuable asset.

Oh and again about the weapons, if nothing else optimal range alone will save your life. If i can shoot you but you cant shoot me, nothing else matters much.

No clue about wether you get to keep your trial time or if it goes directly into "subscription mode" but it seems reasonable that your remaining days would be added ontop of your subscription? Thats only a guess though.
If the corp you are trying to join wont reply at all you might consider approaching some other corps too.

The "no go" for trials might,for bigger corps anyway,have to do with a fear of spies and sabotage but if that was the concern of the person you were talking to he could have informed you about that and not leave you guessing as to why theres no response. If its only been a short time it might be he hasnt been able to contact you since last.

No problem about the questions, better to ask and learn then remain in the dark right? smile

My favourite Quote: "You can never be too rich or too thin, or have too much foreskin"
Letters of urology

Thanks a lot for all the help, I was trying to join a small corp that just started a few days ago. He said he was looking for new and vets alike, and I thought it might be fun to join a corp starting in alpha and helping them move to beta/gamma down the road. He is online atm, I sent a msg and one last(via the forums) maybe he's just afk mining or something. Oh well, I am sure there are plenty of other corps that might take me under their wing smile.

One more question, then hopefully I am done for a while cool.

Are the bots all pretty balanced? As a close range bot, I could see it maybe being a problem against longer range bots like yours especially as I start out since I will need to get within 100m to start shooting(on the EM weapon I have so far).

18 (edited by Macavity 2012-06-22 03:19:46)

I would say i find the bots to be reasonably balanced they all have different roles.
Down the road you will eventually be a good canditate for wrecking tons of havoc on a guy like me who is a medium range,missile bot. Your bot is generally going to be faster than mine, and largely resistant to my type of damage wheras i am the most vulnerable to your type.

Im sure lots of corps might take you under their wing both big and old aswell as new and small.
Best tip i can give is to post in the recruitment forum,expain a little about who you are and what you wanna do ingame and it will be great advertising for you and help you get in touch with corps that you might not otherwise find an easy way to contact(and vice versa).

Most likely if you went into PvP with a corp you would get a tackler (thats a light electronic warfare bot) for you that would be the one called "cameleon" and then they might give you a demobilizer,ECM and some other equipment.

This bot is very,very fast and can catch up to pretty much any other robot very quickly.
Demobilizer reduces the speed of the targeted robot and ECM breaks their lock so they have to relock again possibly shutting down their ability to fire completly at best.
This can allow a team to catch up and safely engage an otherwise superior opponent. And this you can basically do with a day old character,and certainly with a week or two of EP to spend ontop of that.

Theres also modules that you can wear to increase range,modules others can wear to increase your range,reduce locking time etc.. Also the higher end robots like the assault for smaller bots and the mech/heavy mech, or the MK2 version (1 more head slot 1 more leg slot) of the cameleon allows you to customize more and further improve.

Also the bigger bots and more high end weapons,and certain extensions, will increase your range much,much further in time.

About the corp thing,i do believe most corporations recruit both new and veteran players alike mostly looking for capable people. The hard thing ,in my opinion, might be getting noticed and getting in touch with the people in the respective corps who basically do the recruiting. Thats why i recommend posting in the recruitment forum because you make a good impression writing here and im sure you would make the same impression if you wrote there, and that allows recruiters to notice you and get in touch with you instead. smile

Btw as a blue bot you do your best damage against green NPC and player bots so even if you may have a slight disadvantage in range,once you close that gap, hit spacebar ( fires all available weapon modules ) and you can basically just yell "Boom headshot!" If its a low tier NPC bot.

Here is a good website for some basic info and video guides by a player named Gremrod;
http://gremrod.wordpress.com/
Wich also links to a Guide by a player named Zotarg Calltar:
http://www.benfee.de/Temp/Zortarg%27s_G … il2012.pdf
If the page doesnt load, access it from Gremrods blog, it is on the front page and to your right. smile

Some info may be a little outdated but generally its spot on.
But if you have trouble with NPC's ,especially yellow ones? Try to find green,and if not that,other blue ones that you can engage. Use a small repair module to keep your armor up. If you find you have not too much problem with distance and speed you can fit an armor plate and a repair module,or simply fit two small repair modules but bear in mind it will drain your accumulator wich if it hits zero will prevent any module including weapons from working while it charges up.

I have never actually played a blue combat bot,but if i did,thats what i would do to start out and see how my accumulator handles it. Of course,the repair modules dont have to constantly run but can be activated when needed, and you can also back off after a kill or a few kills to regain your accumulator or repair your health. So long as you dont run into situations where in a single fight you risk death, or module shutdown due to too much pressure on your accumulator capacity.

You can experiment against the generic and weak npcs, or just by running the modules outside a terminal to see how long it takes for your accumulator to go empty,if it does.

If you cant finish a fight against NPC's that you shoud be able to,then you have to either change your modules,or change what you are fighting against untill the odds favour you.
For the advanced stuff you can actually bring a certain type of scanner module that scans bots,bring it to the spawn you intend to attack and scan the robots to see their weaknesses and what they are using so you can go back the terminal,take out the scanner and "suit up" to counter it.

Farming anything above the lower tier npcs may be very hard to begin with especially untill you learn what different bots do and wich ones are weak to your faction,you may encounter E-war npcs together with other bots and get slown down,have your lock broken and get beat up. But you will also learn from it when it happens. Probobly has happened to everyone. wink

Also this may be self-explanatory but even against a stronger opponent you can still walk away more or less unharmed by hiding behind terrain,plants,walls etc and popping out to fire and ducking back behind terrain again. This is very usefull against both players and npc's but easier to use against npc's as they generally just come right at you or run straight away from you, theres not alot of terrain awareness in their movement. A simple plant may shield you from an attack. Be ready though that the plant or tree may be blown away,a structure will remain.

If you have more questions dont hesitate to write here or in the game chat.

Edit:
If the grammar is a little off somewhere its because its 4AM here in Sweden and while im more or less fluent in english it becomes a handicap when youre either drunk or tired cause you write without thinking. Had to edit 3 times already to correct absolutely *** misstakes. tongue

Letters of urology

Wow great information! Learned quite a few things from that smile. The guy from that corp did contact me back, I was just impatient and he was afk lol. So far I have the the Yagel and it seems to be doing well against what I have been running across in missions, and is a lot of fun being really fast along with packing a hard punch with 3 EM guns fitted(cant quite fit 4 yet as my reactor is to low). I love how you can use cover like that in combat and have been taking advantage of that as well. I will look over those guides as well, thanks again!

Enabled editing for trials now, no idea why it was turned off smile

21 (edited by Macavity 2012-06-22 14:18:59)

Np Kelron glad to hear things seem to be going well for you smile
Make sure to ask lots and lots more questions to people in your corp especially about your factions bots and extensions so you can make the most out of your experience right away cool

Letters of urology

DEV Zoom wrote:

Enabled editing for trials now, no idea why it was turned off smile

lol, yea was curious why. Will do Macavity.

23 (edited by Arjha Shanoo 2012-06-23 18:24:12)

Kelron Vladseal wrote:

... If I go ahead and sub in the next few days will I keep the rest of my trial time as well as gain the 30 days? ...

Seems like it wasn't answered here:

Yes, you keep your trial days + gain the 30 days.
By subbing (and with every new subscription) the gametime is added to the existent one, the only thing that changes immediately after your first subscription is the change from trial to full account. Though if you do that while being ingame you will have to relogg for it to be applied.

Edit: for grammar

Arjha Shanoo wrote:
Kelron Vladseal wrote:

... If I go ahead and sub in the next few days will I keep the rest of my trial time as well as gain the 30 days? ...

By subbing (and with every new subscription) the gametime is added to the existent one, the only thing that changes immediately after your first subscription is the change from trial to full account. Though if you do that while being ingame you will have to relogg for it to be applied.

Thanks, after hearing that from a few people in game and yourself I went ahead and subbed. However it did not add the days left from my trial sad. I am currently talking with a GM about it though, so will let you know how it turns out for future reference.

Kelron Vladseal wrote:
Arjha Shanoo wrote:
Kelron Vladseal wrote:

Thanks, after hearing that from a few people in game and yourself I went ahead and subbed. However it did not add the days left from my trial sad. I am currently talking with a GM about it though, so will let you know how it turns out for future reference.

It used to.. This may be a bug? I can't imagine why we'd purposely dissuade trials from subbing by shortening their total ep they get for their money.