Topic: terrible fps - optimization needed?

hey, just joined the game and so far i'm very optimistic from what i see smile reminds me of my first hours in THAT other mmorpg. problem is though, my performance is pretty terrible- i'm getting about 20fps, sometimes less than that, in the tutorial areas, and that's with vsync and AA off, AF only at 4x and shadows on medium =3

my graphics card is only an nvidia gt220 but i have 6gb ram on an i5, which seems like it should be able to do a hell of a lot better than this.

Re: terrible fps - optimization needed?

Go to landmark settings, turn off agents. You don't need to see other nubs anyways. I agree its a cheap hack, but it upped the fps, and lowered the lag for me.

tried that, doesn't work for me. poor fps whether i'm in windowed or fullscreen and pretty much whatever settings i use.

turn shadows off, they are a resource hog and also cause crashes for many.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

shadows are off, too =/

The GT 220 is not an acceptable 'gaming' card.

Turn everything off or on low.

yeah i know it's not good, but the fact is i get higher fps on crysis than i do on this game - explain that one to me?

superfuzz wrote:

yeah i know it's not good, but the fact is i get higher fps on crysis than i do on this game - explain that one to me?

Crysis, although it can be dialed up to extreme levels of detail, was written when your card was fairly new.  Therefore the drivers for that old clunky thing are optimized for games like Crysis.

In order to play newer games you have to keep upgrading your hardware too.  Just a fact of life.  I'm betting that this game would run great on a GTX 260.  That's what I was using before I upgraded to the 460.

right. well, how's it run on the 460? cause i thought about 10 mins ago that maybe i should just bite the bullet and grab one. what kinda fps do you get with max settings? and in any other commonly discussed games when it comes to benchmarking?

Nvidia 460 GTX runs pretty sweet. I can run a client on each screen with 50-60 fps. Big jump up from the 30fps single client I had with the 260 GTX. I still have the shadows on medium but the rest of the sliders are maxed.

superfuzz wrote:

right. well, how's it run on the 460? cause i thought about 10 mins ago that maybe i should just bite the bullet and grab one. what kinda fps do you get with max settings? and in any other commonly discussed games when it comes to benchmarking?

A single GTX 460 will be more than sufficient for this game.  I run with two of them in SLI because this is not the only game I play, and I get 60 FPS in most areas with vsync on except when population is heavy.

if u go for the 460 make sure to get the 1g version (read guru3d.com). but ya the 220 is just not a "gamers" card (fps is primary video card based, with little help from cpu and ram once u hit a "good base").

I run the 470and on maximum settings it's fine. Longer loading times but that's okay and when I get bored I can just cook bacon on my GPU.

(Horribly Optimized Engine)

The Game

Alexander wrote:

I run the 470and on maximum settings it's fine. Longer loading times but that's okay and when I get bored I can just cook bacon on my GPU.

(Horribly Optimized Engine)

not really, maybe not super optimized.. but want to see a terrible one.. get a hold of ff14, i was in alpha and beta, besides no real optimization during that time, the graphics vr the prower horse machine u need to even get 30fps is.. unrealistic.

So I know this thread is OOOOLD but I'm new to the game - I have a GT620M with 1gb VRAm, 4 GB DDR3 RAM, only got an i3 so that might be bottlenecking things a bit - but I have terrible fps whenever looking at the centre of an island.  <20 fps.  ALL graphics settings nerfed to nothing and it still happens.  It's not game breaking because I'm indy but it's immersion breaking.

The bottleneck is actually the GT620M, which is a low-performance mobile GPU, not much better than integrated Intel GPUs. Playing in the lowest resolution possible might help, but then you'll probably have problems with fitting all the necessary windows on screen.

Well my laptop isn't , if any better than your setup Kyriel.

AMD APU A8 4500m 2.0 ghz with 8GB RAM and integrated graphics 7640g + windows 8.1

I can run fullscreen at 1366x768 with medium textures and low-mid draw distance. The main impact was when i turned off the shadows (game look ok without anyway) + turned off other flora.

Also i turned of V-Sync but added x4 anisotropic filtering.

Really cant compain about the quality of gameplay i am getting, all seems smooth as silk.

But..........

My Desktop is an i5 with 4gb ram and AMD 7770 1gb  with Windows 7.

Although more powerful than the laptop (not the best i know) , it doesnt seem to perform that much/if at all better on the same settings but at 1680x1050 unless the shadows are turned off.

i find that a little strange.

Hellmut wrote:

Although more powerful than the laptop (not the best i know) , it doesnt seem to perform that much/if at all better on the same settings but at 1680x1050 unless the shadows are turned off.

If i would need to guess, then i would say that 1GB VRAM is the limiting factor on your desktop

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

19 (edited by Celebro 2014-11-28 16:59:13)

Annihilator wrote:
Hellmut wrote:

If i would need to guess, then i would say that 1GB VRAM is the limiting factor on your desktop

True it could the limiting factor, also an extra 4gb RAM does wonders specially if you have anti-virus and bloatware running in the background. Although I would understand the surprise on requirements taking into account the game graphics are not the best you will find these days.

RIP PERPETUUM

I've noticed a big FPS drawdowns when lots of trees are around. Near the training terminal teleport, for example.
I suppose that each tree has it's own shadows, and this is where most of the hardware power are going to...