Re: Revise Artifact Scanning

it does not require it, but the third party tool provides you with 100% accurate artifact locations,

its almost like "botting"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Jasdemi wrote:

It does.

You probably mean it is required to have easy mode, then I agree.
The problem here is that you can use a 3rd party tool, and not that you must.

28 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-16 13:00:38)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Jasdemi wrote:

It does.

You probably mean it is required to have easy mode, then I agree.
The problem here is that you can use a 3rd party tool, and not that you must.

Think about who you're talking to.  That guy ran a STORE for selling artifact found mk2 CTs.  He's telling you to be competitive you MUST use this *** 3rd party tool from a bunch of ***. 

Maybe you should listen to him -> I'll bet money he has spent far more time artifact scanning than either you or I or any of the rest of your dev team have.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I don't think the time he spent artifact scanning plays any role in my ability to understand the issue.

He is asking for implementing the 3rd party tool's easy mode into the game, simple as that.

30 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-06-16 13:19:52)

I never asked for easy mode artifact scanning. I'm just pointing out that artifact scanning is broken as it is now. Being forced to use 3rd party tools to stay competive is BROKEN. Isn't it obvious?

Another example are 150p Mk2 CTs. 10 times more rare than 100p but can only be 50% more expensive. This is madness. No facepalm on earth can describe this obvious ***.

Really, sometimes I wonder what's going on in your brains when when you(or whoever does in your team) decide something.

EDIT:

Easy mode. This is no *** single player game. Obviously everyone will pick the path with least resistance to achieve his goal, hence everyone using that 3rd party tool.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I don't think the time he spent artifact scanning plays any role in my ability to understand the issue.

He is asking for implementing the 3rd party tool's easy mode into the game, simple as that.

Erm .. uhh ... ahhh ... *cough* ... i'm speechless.
I've done quite a bit of artifact scanning myself. The only situation doing it without this 3rd party tool i can think of: If i'm mentally challenged (well more than now smile). This tool is practically a must have - given the current rewards and their chances.

Dear DEV Zoom: I fear you're a bit too deep in your signature hmm.

if your on 100% accuracy its not a must have - with a bit training finding artifacts is pretty easy (if they are not on a step slope.

the nice thing about the foom-tool is the fact how easy it can triangulate the correct position even on low accuracy geoscanner, where it IS a must have to find anything

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Can anyone other than Zoom respond? This is getting old.

34 (edited by Burial 2012-06-16 23:05:50)

I think the whole artifact hunting business needs to be compared against mining and NPC hunting in terms of NIC/h to see if it needs a boost or a nerf.

About the easy mode or no easy mode. Basically the people using the said app gain an unfair adventage over the others. If that is an issue to the developers, then the said app should be banned/added to the game. After that is done, artifact hunting rewards should be re-balanced to give out about the same results as other money-making ways.

I don't really know if the scanning should get an update or not, I am just worried about the part that people are using a 3rd party tool(I am amazed that it is still legal or there is not an implementation of it in the game).

This is a sandbox game, to take a path of higher resistant simply because its not "easy mode" is never going to happen. Players are going to maximize whatever they can regardless if it means using a 3rd party tool.

I personally don't care whether they add this to the game or not because either way I am going to continue to take the path that leads to maximum profit for myself whether that means using a 3rd party tool or not.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Also comparing Nic/h is kinda moot - people artifacting are pricing their time in different ways and for different amounts. Another part is being random. We can say that artifacting is giving me only 100k nic for the last 8h because I only found lvl 1 salvages with only. But then I find a jackpot with a mk2 scarab CT and I am the most wealthy person in the world (in a way no one else has it)

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

37 (edited by Burial 2012-06-17 10:48:54)

Yeah, I understand there's not really a black and white way of doing it, but the developers can calculate such things with looking at the drop rates and current market value of said items(just look at what people are charging - doable just looking up the DB). Market is constantly changing so it can never be perfect, just as close to good-enought as possible.

I personally don't artifact scan, but as I understand it artifact scanning is integral to the production of Mk2 mechs which gain a substantial benefit to the force which can field them.

Experienced artifacters have said that the third party tool made by FOOM provided a 100% certainty of finding the artifact sites and was integral to farming them. This third party tool has been hosted on a third party site and advertised here on the official Perpetuum forums since the 25th of June last year. Almost a full year.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ning-tool/

Here's what the EULA states however:

* It is forbidden to use any kind of third party application or tool that interfaces with, mimics or interferes with any part of the game system in any way, including the use of macros, control scripts, bots, system time manipulation tools, memory access tools or reverse engineering tools;

The real question is why hasn't this EULA regulation been enforced for a year and why have no measures been taken against the authors?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

39 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2012-06-17 18:25:51)

Syndic wrote:

I personally don't artifact scan, but as I understand it artifact scanning is integral to the production of Mk2 mechs which gain a substantial benefit to the force which can field them.

Experienced artifacters have said that the third party tool made by FOOM provided a 100% certainty of finding the artifact sites and was integral to farming them. This third party tool has been hosted on a third party site and advertised here on the official Perpetuum forums since the 25th of June last year. Almost a full year.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ning-tool/

Here's what the EULA states however:

* It is forbidden to use any kind of third party application or tool that interfaces with, mimics or interferes with any part of the game system in any way, including the use of macros, control scripts, bots, system time manipulation tools, memory access tools or reverse engineering tools;

The real question is why hasn't this EULA regulation been enforced for a year and why have no measures been taken against the authors?

Would excel be 3rd party software too? It's really just some basic math to find the location...

You can argue that Excel is or isn't a third party tool, but the fact remains that this particular third party tool

a) Openly advertised on the official forums for 1 year
b) Provides 100% accuracy for predictable rate of artifact farming
c) Gives a clear advantage to players using it vs players who dont

According to the EULA that is forbidden. Fact.

CIR Complaint Form

while a simple change, from showing exact numbers, to showing the geoscan result as circle on a map (*hint* directional scan *hint* ) would cancel out the foom-tool completely, and providing everyone INGAME with the funktionality of such a tool.

BUT

you dont have to implement the "calculate" option to tell you the exact location just from three low-accuracy scans.

on a cycnical remark:

the game interface cannot even tell me on my fitting screen how much raw damage my weapons will deal - theres only a display for the modificator. I have to break the EULA and use an external software or hardware (calculator) to get that info too...

[joke]Yeah, following that logic, just give us some bits and pieces of code as a result so we should run our gnu gpp compiler and compile it smile[/joke]

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

43 (edited by Kokomut 2012-06-17 22:14:30)

Syndic wrote:

You can argue that Excel is or isn't a third party tool, but the fact remains that this particular third party tool

a) Openly advertised on the official forums for 1 year
b) Provides 100% accuracy for predictable rate of artifact farming
c) Gives a clear advantage to players using it vs players who dont

According to the EULA that is forbidden. Fact.

Except that tool does not interface or mimic the game system in any way.

It doesn't mimic the game system, it makes it redundant. Put in X sets of numbers, click find/process/whatever, go to Y coordinates, loot. There is no "treasure hunting" or "closing down on an artifact" involved, its going from box to box and looting as much as possible.

The third-party tool gives an in-game advantage that benefits those who use it and puts those who don't at a disadvantage. Its against the EULA, fact.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

It doesn't mimic the game system, it makes it redundant. Put in X sets of numbers, click find/process/whatever, go to Y coordinates, loot. There is no "treasure hunting" or "closing down on an artifact" involved, its going from box to box and looting as much as possible.

The third-party tool gives an in-game advantage that benefits those who use it and puts those who don't at a disadvantage. Its against the EULA, fact.

Anything can be considered an advantage if you look at it...

window calculator... or someone with a higher IQ... people who don't need to sleep...
There is a point where common sense should kick in. Take action against the "author"? That's just ridiculous.

I prefer to see more 3rd party tool like this made by the community rather than have it implement it ingame from the perspective that it would create unnecessary strain to the server.

...it would create unnecessary strain to the server.

why would it create any more strain to the server if the mechanic is integrated into the client?

does the foom tool create any more strain to the server when you use it?

The biggest problem I see here is in the way that EULA was written.

EULA was written too generic and can be quite arbitrarily interpreted.

With such an arbitrary interpretation, any calculator or Excel spreadsheet, and even VoIP applications can be a violation of the EULA.

One bizzare example:
When you are in combat, there is a big advantage if you have VoIP. Then you can quickly to tell squad members what to do, instead of writing in the squad chat window.

I think the EULA should not be interpreted as in dictatorships: Everything is forbidden. Only is allowed, what is written in the law that is allowed.

Because these applications can be executed on another computer, they do not automatically receive any information from Perpetuum client, I think that the EULA is not violated.

I hope that in future we get interface for the Artifact Scanning, similar to what we have for Directional scanning.
In this case we do not need additional applications. Until that happens, these applications are very helpful. Without them, certain segments of the game would be "mission impossible".

Kazimir Casus wrote:

The biggest problem I see here is in the way that EULA was written.

EULA was written too generic and can be quite arbitrarily interpreted.

With such an arbitrary interpretation, any calculator or Excel spreadsheet, and even VoIP applications can be a violation of the EULA.

One bizzare example:
When you are in combat, there is a big advantage if you have VoIP. Then you can quickly to tell squad members what to do, instead of writing in the squad chat window.

I think the EULA should not be interpreted as in dictatorships: Everything is forbidden. Only is allowed, what is written in the law that is allowed.

Because these applications can be executed on another computer, they do not automatically receive any information from Perpetuum client, I think that the EULA is not violated.

I hope that in future we get interface for the Artifact Scanning, similar to what we have for Directional scanning.
In this case we do not need additional applications. Until that happens, these applications are very helpful. Without them, certain segments of the game would be "mission impossible".

The problem is the enforcment side of the EULA, Syndics point is simple:  Enforce what you say, or don't.  Being selective and listening to a few forum warriors really is bad policy. 

*edited: See pm for reason. - DEV Zoom

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Hello world

Ok, I don't know what that 3th party app do, but the the artifact need to be improved.

Something like show in map the scans points and a index number for each scan, it will be useful. After that, using a pen or something to note it, will help alot to not need a big memory in brain to memorize every scan results and positions.