Topic: Test server Expectations

According to the blog, we're going to soon have a "Test Server".

Going into this new experience, we should set up clear expectations on the value the game, the dev team, and the players from the server.

The value of the testing will depend alot on how server access and agent setup is handled, which we have no information on at present.

Is it too soon to release a test plan?

By this I mean, will there be organized testing, ad hoc player access, preconfigured agents, ect. ect.

Re: Test server Expectations

One day test clean copy of what you currently have in live server at X:XX time ( with maybe test items for free on test server market).  If longer more specific testing is needed select via lottery and have the test the specific items in question.

What we don't want is all the people leaving the live server to become their alter ego on the test server and have the live server a ghost town.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

3 (edited by Arga 2012-05-02 23:59:24)

That's certainly a possiblity. Although I don't think this is like beta, it could be, but if players are required to advance through pbs at a 'live' rate, they will need to be on the test server for a significant amount of time.

And if it's uncontrolled, as in active PVP happening while players are trying to test pbs building functionality, it will take even more time. This holds true if we're also going to have to mine to build on the test server.

If the devs, or players, are thinking Test=Beta, then players will have to make a choice between playing on the live server or testing on the beta server; my guess is beta would win.

If its a 'test' server though, and clients log in with prefit bots, modules and extensions and a general plan of "defend the pbs" or "Attack the pbs", that could provide valuable feedback.

And at other times, you log in and get a symbiot with Terraforming modules to test with.

Ideally, it would be a pre-developed plan.

Week 1- players test terraforming
Week 2- players test/build PBS
Week 3- players attack/defend PBS built in week 2

And, of course, all along material, NIC, and bots are simply preloaded into the agents so time can be spent on testing and not gathering.

Edit: Or as you said, have it all on the market free.

I am sure DEV s also thought that, and thinking what they need to do, mainly I agree with Arga and Khader.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

5 (edited by Burial 2012-05-03 20:07:34)

Would love everything to be free - all EP changable from the spending menu and everything with infinite resource abailable from every station. And I think it is a proper way to set up a test-server.

Only if the servers are online during certain times and not 24/7, thought.

TBH I'll be happy to know when it's coming out.

RIP PERPETUUM

Losing hope a little bit, seems to be endlessly delayed, was hoping for a date this week.

"Early May" "Soon(tm)" fuuu

Karism its May 2013 wink

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

the test server coming soon to a black hole near you!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Again, timing wise, it depends on what the Devs are asking us to test. My intuition is telling me that they are trying to release the finished product to the test server, and not a work-in-progress.

Arga wrote:

Again, timing wise, it depends on what the Devs are asking us to test. My intuition is telling me that they are trying to release the finished product to the test server, and not a work-in-progress.

as usual.

this has pros and cons...

personally i would prefer work in progress access... especially for new game mechanics.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We're actually trying to finish all the mechanics so it can be tested. You can expect that there will be some icons and stuff missing on the test server. The current plan is to start testing by the end of this week, we'll make an official announcement once it's sure.

do hungarian weeks end on friday or sunday?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We don't really have weekends nowadays wink

DEV Zoom wrote:

We're actually trying to finish all the mechanics so it can be tested. You can expect that there will be some icons and stuff missing on the test server. The current plan is to start testing by the end of this week, we'll make an official announcement once it's sure.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We don't really have weekends nowadays wink

I see what you did there. smile

DEV Zoom wrote:

this would be really good as it would give every one a weekend of crazy testing tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Mid-week... should I schedule vacation time? Why am I so excited about a test server... *breath*

DEV Zoom wrote:

Still not clarifying if its 2013 or 2012 I see.

And... we're off!

Arga wrote:

And... we're off!

... nearly tongue

Looks like there is more on the gama islands than we first thought...http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/handea.jpg/

Der Feind wrote:

Looks like there is more on the gama islands than we first thought...http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/handea.jpg/

i dont get the link ... ?

Novaya Trava
775, 1500

Ah, Novaya Trava. It became very populated last days hehe... I've even destroyed someone's 2 turrets sry - they were stayin on the shortest way to mah base shootin me. Was surprised they do drop lootz btw.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I am surprised DOY is actually thinking about ventureing to Gamma.  It will be interesting seeing one person with 19 accounts hold a gamma island.