Re: Degrading CTs in Industry 2.0

Annihilator wrote:

can you really make that much more items?

old system you could do up to 11 items PER cycle, now you can do max 1. so for the same degration of CT you can now produce ~0.1 the items.

Making 1 item in the new system does not degrade the CT the same amount as 1 cycle in the old system, it is closer to 10-11 items now degrades the same amount as 1 cycle before.

Been having a long think about this one - its tricky. Having played with the numbers I'm leaning towards a solution of using two decoders to make a CT and doubling the points on CTs. One decoder determines the starting points and the other decides the number of items manufacturable before the CT expires.

This brings back the significance of the decoder and the CT. I didn't test a decoder lab on gamma - is it possible to make decoders higher than level 10?

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I didn't test a decoder lab on gamma - is it possible to make decoders higher than level 10?

Nope 10 is max

How about instead of screwing with the Eff of the materials with the CT, just have the CT affect the number of runs you can use the CT,

what the heck, is the CT a mold? is the blueprint information store magnetically? It makes little to no sense that it would degrade with use. What kind of RP lore is behind a blueprint becoming hard to read translating into having to use more units of wood to build the same house because the blueprints are an old copy instead of fresh out of the printer?

Now if you want to say that the earth corps have various licensing restrictions in place that limit CT production runs because of a syndicate contractual agreement.. That makes allot more sense, we don't need to put everything on a curve. Basically if you dont need to come back to me for something i can't charge you for it it makes perfect sense if this is X number of units of Items per CT or X number of production runs before its license expires and you have to go get a new one.

Fact of the matter is that the diminished return mechanic is stupid in some cases its used in to justify the time based skill progression. If prototyping was the same as im suggesting it would make more sense in a RP perspective, How you do you kinda sorta decode the method used to create a singularity or a reactor for that matter?

You know how people always say "this isn't rocket science" well this stuff uhm is "rocket science", if you kinda sorta make a reactor it doesn't just require more concreate and lead to build it just becomes a bomb.

+1 for licensed CT runs instead of ME.

I quite like the idea of two decoders, one to determine the number of runs and one to determine the material efficiency (fixed, and not degrading).

Well, the new CT proficiency extension goes some way to addressing this issue since it can nearly double the points on low-end module CTs and more than double it on high-end CTs. In fact, the new extensions are a better solution than my suggestions of simply doubling the points because now its a matter of player choice - and thats what makes a profession a profession.

Doesn't do much for the degradation issue, though.