Topic: Colony System : Expectations

There are a lot of good threads about the upcoming expansion, some of them are getting very detailed.

I wanted to step back and just take a breath for a moment.

Perp is still a very new game and this expansion is alot different than Terra, where they really just gave us more of the same Beta Island, with an overhaul on SAPs, but nothing that we weren't already used to.

In theme park games, we all basically understand how expansions work. We've completed the previous tier of content (or gave up on it) and we are anticipating the new dungeons and raids. When it releases, some players go into the first raid instances under-geared, and wipe to the trash. But that mechanic of release, grind gear, and overcome is well known, so and expected.

In our sandbox game, there's no history of expansions to prepare us.

But really, the key difference is: Gamma is only as difficult (Risky) as we, the player base, make it.

Its very easy to get bogged down in the details, theory crafting how this piece will work with that, but in the end, we won't really know until the PBS hits the PVP.

The open world structure for the colonys is new. There are clearly some players that are expecting gamma and beta to be similar in play style, that is a fixed level of risk, with the SAP mechanic maintain that risk on beta and defense mechanics on gamma.

I just see the whole dynamic as being different though. Now that there will be destructable entities, the level of activity around gamma bases will be significantly higher than it is around beta outposts. And I sense that many others have anticipated this same reaction.

The unrealistic expectation here, is that the game mechanic will 'pick up the slack' between the increase in the volume of attacks without an increase in the number of defending players. That is, gamma is a new environment with higher risk, but that corps can maintain their stust quo.

Re: Colony System : Expectations

Its very easy to get bogged down in the details, theory crafting how this piece will work with that, but in the end, we won't really know until the PBS hits the PVP.

while we cant know for sure we can still have a good idea how some things will work out. The choice is this IMO: have a PBS system that is cheap to build & deploy but can be killed just as easy Or have a PBS system that is costly to build & deploy but harder to kill.

I think the latter it better. why? Most people have a real life. most corps are based on a main TZ or 2. What you have said arga in your OP is nothing short of saying. "we must form mega corps that are massive just so you can hold a terminal"

Do i have an issue with that? not really. do i think its the right way to go? no. Not only that but with how PBS is settup atm if you, your corp or alliance makes 1 small slip up an enemy would brake thru your defences & roast everything you have in under 20mins. leaving your station the only thing standing once they leave.

Sure thats a risk. Gamma will be all about risk. But balance must be achieved.

NOW as for this fortress design you & lemon keep going on about: unless you give us proof your words mean nothing tbh. you & lemon in other threads have said to people posting counter arguments to give proof of what they are saying Well i say to you: You give us proof that the way things r now will work.

I can see with terraforming the current system might last a short while. But i cant see anything short of building 60+ turrets in 1 locations & then saying "Look the system works" or w/e.

what ever you say about your OMG design is mute untill you give us proof of your argument.

I always keep an open mind on these subjects. but it comes down to the old saying... Pics or it didnt happen tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

NOW as for this fortress design you & lemon keep going on about: unless you give us proof your words mean nothing tbh. you & lemon in other threads have said to people posting counter arguments to give proof of what they are saying Well i say to you: You give us proof that the way things r now will work.

I can see with terraforming the current system might last a short while. But i cant see anything short of building 60+ turrets in 1 locations & then saying "Look the system works" or w/e.

what ever you say about your OMG design is mute untill you give us proof of your argument.

I always keep an open mind on these subjects. but it comes down to the old saying... Pics or it didnt happen tongue

^^^ This.

Also:

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

...due to individuals with a vested interest in driving the mechanics for their own benefit or their enemy's detriment, will skew the results to try to manipulate the devs to their favor.  Alot of claims have been made, lets see it tested for a few days aggressively by anyone and everyone on the test server, and see if they play out as stated.

The objective is balanced game play, and the only way that can be done is with objective data, and not rhetoric.  It's not about what is or is not personally beneficial to individuals or groups, nor about epeen or winning an arguement.  It's about providing comprehensive, objective, and factual data, and combining it with experience and knowledge, to forge effective and balanced gameplay.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

We should be expecting a MASSIVE marketing drive in the last week before the expansion from Avatar!!

It needs ads across all gaming sites, TV advertisements, Jet writing in capital cities of the world,  ads in local rags, and the dev team telling their grandmothers! Otherwise the 24 islands of gamma are pick and choose. I'll take one of the ten that no one else wants.

We have a size 6 foot that's about to attempt to fit into a clown shoe. Be careful of looking like a *** muppet!

I'm all for "build it and they will come!" but FFS.... they wont come if they don't know about it.

Kil

Yawn

We really need to cut down on the number of topics spouting up covering the same material.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Not sure how our 'super base' got pulled into this thread, I was talking in general about player expectations.

Simply, if players go into gamma with the expectation that base defense is like beta, where you can casually show up and or undock only if you want to, with 'litle repercussion', then they're going to be very unhappy with the current mechanism. But also, you can choose not to undock, and you won't lose your base, you'll just have to pay a bunch of NIC to rebuild.

Alpha-Beta = Theme park

Gamma = Sandbox

Theme Park has a lost and found where all lost toys can be picked up after losing them.

Sandbox... Leave your toys any place here cats crap on them and/or you never see your toys again. At least until you replace them on your own.

That is what I expect.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Alpha-Beta = Theme park

Gamma = Sandbox

Theme Park has a lost and found where all lost toys can be picked up after losing them.

Sandbox... Leave your toys any place here cats crap on them and/or you never see your toys again. At least until you replace them on your own.

That is what I expect.

WRONG...
Why i cant put teleporter where i want? PBS also? Why i cant make big teleporter so i can reach alpha?
Why i cant define where i want ore/npc spawn on gamma???

Because it must be rules and we all need stick to them.
This above what i wrote would be sandbox that you are talking about..

When you and others use word sandbox,usuall dont have proper argument and then u think that word sandbox will tell how smart u are,but wrong again!

This is game guys, not rl.. In real life you have sandbox... And its only sanbox that u will see...

And word "sandbox" DEVS and others using as comercial lol...
There is no real "sandbox",just fake word to make more € tongue..

9 (edited by Inda 2012-05-24 14:11:19)

WRONG...

Gremrod use that word as "sandbox game" what has rules, but that still different than theme park.

(If you want argument I will come wink )

So both of you has true point, but you say wrong because you use that "word" for your imagination and Gremrod use his imagination for that.

There is no WRONG anywhere.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I still expect continents, i still expect that teleports will be removed or replaced with ultra-highways on "alpha" territories. I still expect for large battles like 1k - vs - 1k and 20k ppl online.

Alexadar wrote:

I still expect continents, i still expect that teleports will be removed or replaced with ultra-highways on "alpha" territories. I still expect for large battles like 1k - vs - 1k and 20k ppl online.

I still expect you to expect this but realizing that what you're expecting may not be expect-able.

GLiMPSE wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

I still expect you to expect this but realizing that what you're expecting may not be expect-able.

Expectations supposed to help us expecting what can be expect-able or not expect-able. So its ok big_smile

Every sandbox I ever played in has walls to hold the sand in.

Every game needs to have the walls, the framework for gameplay. Its what you do inside the walls, within the framework, that makes it a sandbox game.

Although I've never played it, if sandbox = no rules then maybe the closest game that does this is MineCraft?

So, back on topic ... I'm hoping we have great wars on Gamma.

I expect a big influx of new players. With that comes big battles and a more active market. cool

Baal wrote:

I expect a big influx of new players. With that comes big battles and a more active market. cool

Lets hope so smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue