Topic: Suggestion: Concrete Layer

Currently the Concrete Layer is very difficult to use in an effective fashion.
Currently if you want to lay concrete in an large area you have to blast away every plant in the area with chemo bombs or other explosions which can be a pain in the *** especially if doing it near other structures. You can then lay the concrete in that area and it will affect a few tiles around your robot (quadratic brush size).
Currently it is hard to tell which tiles are affected by the concrete if you dont drive in a very tight set pattern you will have holes in the concrete which are almost impossible to spot.

Other factors making it difficult to keep a large area concreted is the fact that every terraforming action and explosion destroys the concrete in a big area.
Also the plant growth is so fast that you wont be able to lay the concrete fast enough if you work on a large terraforming project.

Since the current way of placing Concrete is most likely a temporary way i can only suggest how the future way of concreting a large area on gamma could look like.

I suggest a Module that removes all plant-life  in the area much like the Terraforming Module. it dosent have to be an extra module it could be integrated in an existing module which then uses concrete laying charges. The module should give the Player a feedback on to which tiles have concrete on them and which dont.

Re: Suggestion: Concrete Layer

Herpus Derpus wrote:

I suggest a Module that removes all plant-life  in the area much like the Terraforming Module.

already have that: chemical bomb

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Herpus Derpus wrote:

I suggest a Module that removes all plant-life  in the area much like the Terraforming Module.

already have that: chemical bomb

See what happens when unskilled miners attempt to do other things then field work?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

4 (edited by Herpus Derpus 2012-05-21 15:18:27)

without quoting any of the comments form people that didnt test the concrete layer

the problem with explosions and concrete layer are pointed out
the plant growth is too fast and random to throw bombs at it wherever possible
the concrete layer removes some plants already  but not all  it might be a bug

i hope the crapposting dosent derail this thread so much

There is a visual effect after putting down concrete, so placing it isn't that difficult.

The 16 tile effect goes around existing plants. So, unless they are blocking your path, you can simply wait for them to die, then reapply concrete.

The concrete has a decay, which is less thrilling, but it also means that waiting isn't such a big deal, as your going to have to go out and reapply concrete at general intervals anyway.

Process wise, concrete on the test server was added a little late, so there was already structures built. In general though, terraforming then putting down concrete can be done at the same time, so plants won't be an issue (TF already removes them).

There's no need to put additional tools in, the existing ones just need to be used at the right time.

But I would like to see a longer decay, 2 weeks min, or a 36 or larger tile deployment with current decay.

Arga wrote:

There is a visual effect after putting down concrete, so placing it isn't that difficult.

The 16 tile effect goes around existing plants. So, unless they are blocking your path, you can simply wait for them to die, then reapply concrete.

The concrete has a decay, which is less thrilling, but it also means that waiting isn't such a big deal, as your going to have to go out and reapply concrete at general intervals anyway.

Process wise, concrete on the test server was added a little late, so there was already structures built. In general though, terraforming then putting down concrete can be done at the same time, so plants won't be an issue (TF already removes them).

There's no need to put additional tools in, the existing ones just need to be used at the right time.

But I would like to see a longer decay, 2 weeks min, or a 36 or larger tile deployment with current decay.

agreeable changes currently laying concrete is just a pain in the *** if doing for large areas its ok to build a little road though