Re: Any kind of respec available by chance?

Give me Doc solution, but without the loss (basically a very slow and progressive respec), and I'm in.

The only thing really needed is to tune the buy-back speed so that no one will use it for FOTM builds, and that's easily done. A rate of 50% the speed of EP gain feels right.

/agree

Even with a 25% buy back speed

53 (edited by Mechamind 2010-12-06 15:48:55)

I think it is fair to have an ep refund option for the first 2 weeks or 1 month of playing via an account wipe. Not every new player who enters this game is already familiar with the game mechanics. This way, it will give players the chance to explore different weapons and factions before finally settling on one for good.

The EP per account is a good thing..........but I would disagree with 20000 EP for each new character. Grants far too much for each character.....  20k EP per account is a good thing, but perhaps a voucher in your Private Stash for one respec would be a good thing.
Non-tradeable, non-sellable.
Respecing skills is alot easier for the Dev's to implement than repecing Attributes. I'm sure they have a system in use to calculate the EP spent per character.
Although I don't have an issue with making a new account I would rather say pay 2-5 bucks for a respec , but that brings in a cash shop mentality and I am happy this game doesn't have a cash shop. NO DEV'S I DO NOT WANT A CASH SHOP!!!!!

55 (edited by Haul Assets 2010-12-10 17:39:02)

I made this account last night. I also made some mistakes. Tried to correct them. Which made things worse. So what did I do then? I rolled an Alt thinking I could start over. That was an even bigger mistake.

This is all wrong. I am brand new to this game and I am now somewhat paralyzed or severely limited.

Yeah, I know in a few days it will start to get better, but now, it's tough.

Yes, I screwed up,but now, I know better.

I am still stuck.

There really needs to be a better way to do this. Even a reset button. Something that I should be able to do to get back. from early mistakes.

6 months from now, I'd say I should eat my mistakes like this. But at this stage, with the limited EP, small mistakes have huge impacts.

Jerokane wrote:

...Right now, I am pretty much forced to create a new account and buy again. Which shouldn't be necessary....

Maybe thats their whole idea...

Haul Assets wrote:

I made this account last night. I also made some mistakes. Tried to correct them. Which made things worse. So what did I do then? I rolled an Alt thinking I could start over. That was an even bigger mistake.

This is all wrong. I am brand new to this game and I am now somewhat paralyzed or severely limited.

Yeah, I know in a few days it will start to get better, but now, it's tough.

Yes, I screwed up,but now, I know better.

I am still stuck.

There really needs to be a better way to do this. Even a reset button. Something that I should be able to do to get back. from early mistakes.

6 months from now, I'd say I should eat my mistakes like this. But at this stage, with the limited EP, small mistakes have huge impacts.

Just keep running transport missions, or mine, or farm kernels until you get some more EP and forget about made mistakes. You can't really make mistakes in PO. Every skill you train will come in handy .. some day.

Everytime a DEV reads something like this, they probably watch for a new account to be created and giggle like an evil schoolgirl.

They really need a respec option, I hate watching tiny games (this was about the population MO started with) strangle their customer base and then wonder why their office is the size of my freezer.

59 (edited by Szarlej 2010-12-11 00:43:35)

Right now my only negative experience with this game is that i cant respec...

Every time someone asks for a respec a seal gets clubbed to death, STOP IT, I'm getting knackered!

61 (edited by Brigeetta 2010-12-12 07:08:16)

Mechamind wrote:

I think it is fair to have an ep refund option for the first 2 weeks or 1 month of playing via an account wipe. Not every new player who enters this game is already familiar with the game mechanics. This way, it will give players the chance to explore different weapons and factions before finally settling on one for good.

Totally agree with this.  I came to this game a few days ago, not knowing ANYTHING about it.  I had no idea that EP was time based, and ending up spending on a lot of wasteful things, even maxing a skill heh.

I have also been dabbling in various things to get a taste for what I really want to be.  If you granted a player 1 respec within their first week or month I don't see the harm.  You have to understand people have never played games this complicated and could easily get discouraged.

A lot of you players here have played beta and are familiar with the game mechanics.  It's only fair, so yes I ask the devs to please grant a 1 time respec.

Thanks

I think that the only way to do this would be to allow one total respec up to 30 days after character creation.. and only one respec per account.

This game is so new and has such a high learning curve, that a lot of people have no clue if they're training the right EP's yet, or if they'll even like their chosen profession.  So what will end up happening with some players is that they'll get two weeks into a mining character and realize that they really hate mining and all they want to do is go shoot people.

Then they could use that one time respec to realign their priorities instead of maybe quitting the game in frustration.

Hourglass wrote:

I think that the only way to do this would be to allow one total respec up to 30 days after character creation.. and only one respec per account.

Could you explain why you think having a full and total respec before a month is the only solution?

Why would a slow and progressive respec option, as multiple people suggested earlier in this thread, not work?

I was against this idee in the beginning, but maybe its needed, but then it should be able for everyone, even us in early acces made our wrong turns.

Nipa wrote:
Hourglass wrote:

Could you explain why you think having a full and total respec before a month is the only solution?

Why would a slow and progressive respec option, as multiple people suggested earlier in this thread, not work?

Because a month is plenty of time to figure out what you do and don't like to do in this game.  You'll know about a week in, if you made a miner, whether you actually like mining or not.  Some people think that the idea of pointing a laser at the ground and pulling minerals out to sell sounds like fun... until they've done it for a week straight.  At that point, they either go "Man, this is way more boring than I thought" or they go "I can't wait to fill my cargo hold with more of X ore so I can dominate the market!".

A big part of sandbox games is living with the consequences of your actions.  If you make a bad choice and put a bunch of EP into something that you realize you don't want, well that's tough cookies kid... wait a few days until you have more EP and you can right your wrong.

I accidentally blew a bunch of EP's in Firearms within an hour of playing, only to find out later that firearms are really only useful on the starter bot.  Whooops.  Maybe I should have researched more before blowing points.  That's MY bad.  The DEV's shouldn't have to spend extra time coding to make up for my uneducated choices.

Hourglass wrote:

A big part of sandbox games is living with the consequences of your actions.  If you make a bad choice and put a bunch of EP into something that you realize you don't want, well that's tough cookies kid... wait a few days until you have more EP and you can right your wrong.

Few things.. First this isnt a sandbox game and I see this happen more and more these days. People get a bit confused over what a sandbox game is.

You cant truely have a sandbox in a game with consensual PvP or, MORE IMPORTANTLY, things the players can build themselves.

So what youre left with to rationalize 'sandbox' with is that using EP is a one time deal. I always see people get super hyped up and emotionally fueled when they say this.. ROAR YAH BABY ITS TOUGH COOKIES KIDDO YOUNG KIDDY! WOHOOOO BOY I JUST SHOT LIQUID EP INTO MY LEFT TESTICAL, IM *** JUICED UP!!

They always look so dumb saying it, like a system with no proper explanation or a mullegan is anything more then a poor man's tactic to soak up more subs. They arent on stEVEs level, so they have to stop trying to pretend they are, before all thats left is 10 dudes with 34 accounts each.

For *** sake, charge 20 bucks for the client so you dont have to be so damn desperate for new accounts. Its embarrassing how pathetic it comes off.

BizzyBeast wrote:

I always see people get super hyped up and emotionally fueled

And then you join them.....

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Zhyntil wrote:
BizzyBeast wrote:

I always see people get super hyped up and emotionally fueled

And then you join them.....

I think my line that followed that quote was more obvious then you needing to feel involved.

Ok slugger youre up to bat!

Go easy guys, its my *** kid brother and he has to feel like he is in the game, let him take one good swing. Thanks.

69 (edited by Voodh 2010-12-22 01:00:57)

I need a respec please. I WANT to pay for it and i only want to be able to do it twice a year only with the skills and not with the attributes.

Voodh wrote:

I need a respec please. I WANT to pay for it and i only want to be able to do it twice a year only with the skills and not with the attributes. Please.

So you choosed right stats so you are for nay to the stats respec... May you want a respec only for youself ha?

I think a one time respec would be nice, even if it sets you back by 25% of your accumulated EP thus far.

Dont tell anyone in M2S but i wasted a load of EP's in Firearms as well, i dont want them back, one day i might use them so meh.

Although i do like the idea of a one time respec for new players within the first x number of days not a month though, some people should live with their consequence of actions, just like i have to with my Tattoo

I should clarify, i dont like it, but unfortunately there a lots of people that come to a new game dont read jack *** about it and start mashing buttons and it would be a way of keeping extra subscribers and therefore keeping the game going

So long as its a one time thing in the first week, then it can't be a bad thing. It would definitely help retain players.

Its once older accounts get access to respecs that things start getting messy.

Whatever form of respec is going to get implemented I think it needs to be done in a hurry.

One of the biggest problems for me was starting Eve behind everyone else. The longer the game is out, the less people will want to jump into it.

I'm liking the game and because of my mistakes I've had to sub 3 times. Something I'm not bothered by, but at the same time I feel what newer players feel. Whether or not people play is all about the start. And right now the beginning levels is a little frustrating without direction.

I like Hourglass idea about the first 30 days. I don't really care for EP slowly resetting. New players are not thinking about the future., hence the problem in the first place. They want to see how the game is going to be right away.

The friends I've gotten to try the game (with my account) have all left quickly for other reasons. I'm almost certain if they had bought the game and messed up their EP, they wouldn't return. I guess I'm saying it's already an uphill climb, don't add something easily fixed on the list.

I would gladly embrace the opportunity to respec as well, but has any Devs actually come out yet stating that they are contemplating this and whether they will allow a respec?