Re: Terraforming

whats bad about turtle mode?
its creating a purpose to play for someone: breaking up the shell of the turtle and feed on its intestines!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The point exactly.

I don't think trying to turtle is going to work, unless you have players on 24/7. Without a player there to adust strategies based on the attackers being able to terraform around your implacements, the shell will be cracked and tasty soup will be had by all. Gamm corps can only feed the homeless people on turtle soup for just so long, before their funds and/or patience is exhausted.

Scenerio: Miners are walled in on gamma. Fleet jumps in, triggers probe. Miners log off. Fleet proceeds to base, blows up stuff, leaves happy and well fed, returns an hour later for another meal. Activities only occur while main force is online, miners get bored and go to alpha, no minerals are available for production, and transport is weary of hauling in scarab loads of ammo and teleporters.

Arga, the possibility of losing everything has to be there, i think its more of a logistical problems and the effort required to undertake all those structures.

RIP PERPETUUM

Of course.

All I'm saying is that corps without 24/7 coverage won't last on gamma.

30 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-16 00:20:07)

3 time larger game world with such a low player base I doubt it, I fear there will be less pvp as everyone will be busy defending/teraforming etc. and also distances to cover will be vast, certainly will think twice before i take a plated heavy to the other side of the map. When we get more players it should be easier to cover 24/7 if need be.

Anyways blog said coastlines won't be terraformable btw.

RIP PERPETUUM

Blog said no, but it is on the test server. They also said 1 terminal, but changed it to 3. So don't put too much stock in the blog.

Not everyone is going to be building on gamma, there will be corps that simply choose to attack gamma bases from alpha.

Along with that, alliances or corps that do choose to build on gamma, will at some point be attacked and be driven off gamma. That corp will then also become an 'anti-gamma' corp.

Here is where the low server population will work against gamma alliances, because even a small band of raiders attacking during off times can make trouble.

But, not to be too gloomy here. Because it's really a case where the population has to go up, which should fix the 24/7 issue. And if it doesn't go up.... well, lets just keep positive that it will.

32 (edited by Karism 2012-05-16 01:26:59)

Feedback for Terraforming Beacons

1 - Should affect a larger area, 100m per beacon or so.

2 - Should terraform more per cycle, right now it is pathetically slow.

3 - Beacon charger module should have a 10--15 second cycle time, i know 1.7s is ony for testing though, and have a range of 400-500m.

the terraform beacon chargers use way too much accu either increase the cycle time so i we can run them cap stable or reduce the accu usage please

currently you suck every bot with the best possbile fitting and extensions dry in a matter of seconds

There is somthing wrong with the terraforming beacon. I created a plan, and beacon is digging a hole around it, so now I can't reach it big_smile

Durrneki wrote:

There is somthing wrong with the terraforming beacon. I created a plan, and beacon is digging a hole around it, so now I can't reach it big_smile

Take a few more beacons and place it around the hole to finish terraforming depending on your plan you will be able to reach it. Beacons cover an are around 75m.

RIP PERPETUUM

36 (edited by Eng Daniel 2012-05-16 16:01:52)

About walls make with terraforming, you can easily smooth them, and have a passable land.

I was playing with terraforming, and I found somthing not sycronous between radar and land display. You can check that in a video I make http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAc5MjSDbAE  after second 54.

One thing I think will help alot is show the meters in adjacent areas where the land is targeted and, of course, an option to show or hidden that information.

37 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-05-16 17:28:54)

In a nutshell, here is the real issue.  Someone turtles in an island, and then deploys PBS structures within 1000m of those defenses.  Now, if you want to assault that turtle for the intestines, you have no way to do it, because you cannot terraform within 1000m of another corp's PBS structure.  No response is possible at that point, there is no counter.

All the defender has to do is keep a narrow area that can be terraformed down quickly and keep an alt there, someone wants in, you open a hole, they come in, you close it off again.

The main issue here is that there would be no counter, bombs do not work on terraformed walls, which can be created easily and quickly, you do not even have to terraform the whole landscape, just a 1 tile wide dirt wall. So long at there is a pbs within 1000 m of the area, no one else can terraform it.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

In a nutshell, here is the real issue.  Someone turtles in an island, and then deploys PBS structures within 1000m of those defenses.  Now, if you want to assault that turtle for the intestines, you have no way to do it, because you cannot terraform within 1000m of another corp's PBS structure.  No response is possible at that point, there is no counter.

All the defender has to do is keep a narrow area that can be terraformed down quickly and keep an alt there, someone wants in, you open a hole, they come in, you close it off again.

The main issue here is that there would be no counter, bombs do not work on terraformed walls, which can be created easily and quickly, you do not even have to terraform the whole landscape, just a 1 tile wide dirt wall. So long at there is a pbs within 1000 m of the area, no one else can terraform it.

I agree. There can't be any limit to terraforming. Basically, anyone with a TF module and charges should be able to TF anywhere on gamma (probably need a 50m no-tf radius around structures just because they need to be level).

I would however say that you can't drop a TF beacon within 1500m of an outpost you don't own.

Terraforming Suggestion:

Can we remover the "smoother" from terraforming? i think the leveling charge is good enough to make a flat plain for a building. smoothing just seems to be an extra UN-needed step in-order to place a building.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Today's server-side patch:

The terraform beacon should now properly follow the plan, and we have also reduced the accumulator usage of the charger module for testing purposes.

Very interested in getting home to try this. Last night I made a complex plan, and the beacons seemed to be trying to create it rotated about 45 degrees, but not 45 degrees of the whole plan, 45 off at each beacon; like each beacon orientation was skewed.

Karism wrote:

Feedback for Terraforming Beacons

1 - Should affect a larger area, 100m per beacon or so.

2 - Should terraform more per cycle, right now it is pathetically slow.

3 - Beacon charger module should have a 10--15 second cycle time, i know 1.7s is ony for testing though, and have a range of 400-500m.

1. /agree the beacons should be some where around 250M to 500M i think would be good . . .

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

I think there's confusion about beacon effect radius and range, and the range of the module.

The beacons are reusable, the pickup is buggy in that you'll need to use the refresh button after picking it up to see it in your cargo. Only the person that deployed it can pick it up or set the TF file.

The effect is about 75m, the same as if you where to target a single tile. The beacon process isn't supposed to speed up the terraforming process, its there to allow multiple players to work on the same project without producing conflicting results. We had 3 players trying to level a surface for building a terminal, and there was a lot of player in range errors and basically way too much communication needed to be effective.

I don't see an issue with raising the optimal range of the modules to 100m or 250m, this just reduces how much moving you have to do, which is basically just irritating when in camera mode.

Mechanic wise, I believe that each cycle of a terraforming charge has exactly the same effect, doesn't matter if it's a beacon TF charge or a level/raise/ect charge.

This seems balanced. The advantage of beacons isn't that its' faster, its more precise and allows for coordianted effort, for which you pay for the beacon and the beacon charges (probably slightly more than a solo tile charge).

Changing either the effect range or strengh, would mean programming them differently. I dont think it's neccesary. Any changes to effetivness and range should be done at the module level (not the charge level)

About the walls, it takes a metric *** of work to barricade a TP. It takes a one hole to get in fuuu .

The work load is heavily on the side of the defender, unless the walls are actively defended.

44 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-16 20:05:57)

Siddy wrote:

About the walls, it takes a metric *** of work to barricade a TP. It takes a one hole to get in fuuu .

The work load is heavily on the side of the defender, unless the walls are actively defended.

What are you worried about. You never do any of the hard work anyway. fuuu

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Siddy wrote:

And if you make that wall and deploy a pbs structure within 1000m of it, no one else can terraform it down, does not need repair, and is basically permanent, with no counter.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

46 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-16 20:05:20)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:
Siddy wrote:

And if you make that wall and deploy a pbs structure within 1000m of it, no one else can terraform it down, does not need repair, and is basically permanent, with no counter.

See DEV Zoom's post.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/65805/#p65805

I am not sure the 1000m structure rules applies at all on any TF wall etc. Sounds like TF is free for all to do with no restrictions.

47 (edited by Arga 2012-05-16 20:21:40)

Siddy wrote:

Agreed.

Also, if undefended, they would need to barricade all the teleporters, or attackers could just drop a TP and jump to another external TP on the island and run back.

Which leads to all sorts of intersting situations;

1) Attackers only have 1 TP with them, and not TF modules (or run out of charges). Ooops. No access to the beta-bound TP means they are stuck on gamma island or have to try to run out through multiple Gamma islands and hope they aren't all blockaded. Or wait for someone to bring a TP and can in; and hope the TF barrier isn't 101m wide.

2) Defenders actually do block all the TP's, but want to engage the attackers, but because they have to drag a TP 1000m from the station, the timing is jacked, and the best the can do is drop a couple of bots at a time into a merkle trap at the remote external TP.

3) Defenders simply let anyone with a TP transit their island, and feed the turtle a few times a week with extensive TP remodling.

As a side note: while you can target and run TF charges anywhere further than 50m from the external TP, they have no effect; the Terrain is "locked" out to a certain distance. This makes the raidus of the TF barrier very large, as Siddy points out. And to be effective, it would also need multiple rings.

Estimating the TF costs at about 10k per cycle, a single ring around the TP would be about 44M NIC. NIC need to defeat said ring - 50k.

Edit: Just FYI, did the maths, making 5 concentric rings spaced 20m apart would take 230M NIC, assuming 5 cycles per tile, so 1 'bot cycle per tile' @ 10s per tile would be about 55 hours of work per bot. Assuming you had a fleet of 10 terraformers, you could completely/effectively block 1 TP in 5.5 hours.

Time to counter 10 players working 5.5. hours, 1 bot, 1 bot cycle per ring, 5 rings, 50 seconds. Adding in relock and movement time, lets call it 2 mins.

55 hours and 230M to build.
2 mins and 250k to counter.

Gremrod wrote:

I am not sure the 1000m structure rules applies at all on any TF wall etc. Sounds like TF is free for all to do with no restrictions.

Currently there is such a rule in place, but we may be forced to take that out, since as Lupus said, there is no counter for it. If someone TFs a wall around their base there is nothing you can do but wait until they come out.

49 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-16 20:27:49)

DEV Zoom wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Currently there is such a rule in place, but we may be forced to take that out, since as Lupus said, there is no counter for it. If someone TFs a wall around their base there is nothing you can do but wait until they come out.

Then you then run into the issue that Siddy and Arga have high-lighted.

Now you will be on the side of it being too easy for the counter.

The question asked here should be as follows.

Should TF help protect your PBS and to what extent should its role be in protection?

It sounds like TF role in defense is meant to be a temporarily hindrance and nothing more.