Re: Pvp mechanics / Stop the blob

It will always be a blob v blob. No matter where you go any MMO you play if PvP is not instanced it will always be a single target gank by a blob.

Here is the only and the fastest way to win:

Someone calls out few priority targets, people lock on and then start ganking targets one by one. Whoever manages to do this faster - wins. Either its a LOTRO or Pepretuum Online or EVE Online - more skilled gankers always win.

The only solution for instability that blobs create in game:

Have a designated server for PvP active areas. Instead of hosting everything on one server - PvP areas need to be separated into their own virtual sessions with separated Network tunnels. That way alpha islands wont be affected by the lag that massive groups of PvP blobs create by eating the server side bandwith.

If you don't like blob mechanics and want organized PvP - then it has to be forced into groups performing objective based tasks - warzones like in SWTOR for example. It will always be stable, won't affect anyone on Alpha islands and groups / squads sizes can be adjusted based on devs preferences.

Devs need to learn about virtualization if they are not using it already. They need to have a good powerful mainframe that hosts their virtual servers. And it would probably be better to host PvP side on a different mainframe to not affect PvE islands performance at all.

If Avatar Creations finds some funding some time soon they will most likely do something, until then we'll have to suffer the rubberbending and enjoy blob v blob PvP.

LoS fire hitting friendlies would make there be more skill involved in fighting - I like it. Obviously, this wouldn't work on alpha islands, but this calculation could be ignored on alphas OR on alphas you simply couldn't fire if another mech was between you and the target.

As for missiles in this case, you could simply assume the missiles are based on two targeting methods: 1. LoS target painting, when the target is in clear LoS, allowing for maximum accuracy. 2. Radar locking, when the target is NOT in a clear LoS, causing greater inaccuracies based on the numbers of bots between the target.

Another component to this could be changing bots to take different damage based on what sides they're presenting to the attacker. For example, bots could be designed to take most of their damage on the front, therefore, that would get a bonus to damage resistance. However, an attack against the weaker backside could cause much more damage, potentially making friendly fire more painful and also allowing for extra strategies when you set up combat. The biggest problem with this is that you would want to be able to independantly control your torso so you could try to reduce damage without having to have a lock, but still being able to move in the direction you need to go.

It's old now really.

I find the Gallow glass view interesting. Odd to see where the anger has cone from as the only occupied outpost ever attacked by the alliance was m2s' who's stated aim was to own every station. The basis of the whole thing was simply to create a way for the islands to be occupied without people having to deal with getting camped all day like n-a had to. It was a reaction rather than an action. That was my basis for the ill advised idea to be able to shoot each other off island so we kept things interesting, an idea since dropped.

Sorry to hear we got it so wrong the corps we were trying to help felt it neccesarry to join the problem. It has to be said that the powerblock ideal has occupied the islands far more than they ever were.

29 (edited by DeadTwin Mk0 2010-12-10 20:35:36)

we could cap the server at 300 and make new servers?

<Ewar>

~$~

30 (edited by Gobla 2010-12-10 21:32:39)

How about a temporary stacking resistance against the damage types?

If you get hit by thermal damage then for you get some extra resistance ( besides normal resistance ) against the next thermal damage. This resistance would gradually decrease with a set number per second. The amount of resistance would be based on the amount of damage taken compared to your maximum armor. Weapons firing at exactly the same time ( by pressing space ) only apply the resistance after all shots hit.

So for example a bot loses 10% hp from a thermal shot. After this it would gain a flat 25% decrease to the next thermal damage. This resistance would gradually decrease by say 10% per second. So if it was hit by another bot with the same strength thermal shot it would only lose 7,5% hp. This in turn would boost it's thermal resistance again by say 18,75% for a total of 43,75%.

The precise percentages would have to be changed but the end goal is that there will be diminishing returns for every extra bot firing at a target. So that 20 people wouldn't be twice as strong as 10 people, but only say 1,5 times as strong. The result would hopefully be that the extra coordination needed for an additional person would eventually outweigh the benefit of the damage they bring.

A big organised corp could still bring a large squad and with proper coordination and multiple target calling wreak havoc, but with lesser organisation you'd be limiting your effectiveness and thus giving smaller but more organised groups a chance.

It would also be a self-balancing mechanism if one race is stronger then the others. Each race does a majority of one damage type, so that damage type would be most used and thus the stacking resistances the highest. Thus other races would be more welcome in squads to add more variety to damage types. In the end the optimal group wouldn't be one with only the FotM race but instead one with a slight majority of FotM but still a decent representation of other races.

Lore/Physics wise the explanation would be simple. If your armor has been recently superheated by thermal damage then additional heating will have a reduced effect. If your armor and the underlying systems are already punctured by kinetic damage then additional kinetic damage will need to be much stronger to penetrate deep enough to hit the next row of internal systems. If your armor is already a compressed mess from seismic explosions then additional explosions will need more force to do an equal amount of damage. And adding more corrosive chemicals to an area that's already covered in them wouldn't do that much additional damage.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

I think I would prefer solutions aimed at combat mechanics. Something that encourages people to keep squads small rather than discouraging corps from forming political relationships.

what about a straight up negative effect? the more people you have, the more effect you get. Make it simple, and to the point, like a targeting delay, or vision issue, and increase the effect as the number of players on a field increases. fit it into the lore or whatever you want that can be easily done after the fact, but don't get too fancy with it. The idea of making something that can't be countered is the only viable option, or you'll simply find a way around it.

The other issue then is "what is the optimal gang size?" and would it be an effect where you could simply make another gang and avoid the penalty, keeping the same number of people on the field, or would it be based on the number of people in close proximity.

The proximity method is the best I think, might also serve to poke some carebears off of their comfy alpha islands, which should go full PVP when the infinite buy orders are dropped btw. smile

Contact me in game via e-mail or PM for -CS- recruitment information.

The proximity method is interesting BUT with the current outpost battle mechanics what's to stop a defending group from blobing the *** out of an outpost to the point where no one can do anything combat wise and just cap the passive or the material points for an easy defense.

It couldn't be implemented without some sort of change to the mechanics of taking and defending an outpost.

Really the only way you could prevent blob warfare is to instance the battles and hard cap them. but then you've defeated the point of an open PvP world. Relating just to incursions of course

The only thing that makes sense is collision and true Los. I would hold off on collision causing damage and Los although stopping weapons should not initially cause them damage but it just makes sense.

If you add into this terraforming you would increase the skill element of choosing your ground and working as a team and unskilled megablobs and people sitting on saps would be counterproductive after certain numbers.

Obviously instancing isn't going to happen in this game, and I'm glad it won't.

As long as the servers allow large blobs to form I hope they continue. I only speak for myself, but eventually these large blobs will break into smaller blobs on their own.

Fix free arkhes, increase population of the game, and force/incentivize people out to the beta islands and I think the pvp in this game will be OK.

There's not enough *** pvp on these *** pvp islands.

Doc Iridium wrote:

It looks as if Perpetuum is headed the same way as EVE went.  Blobs and zergs rule.

This is exactly why i am a carebear in both games, i like helping out people, but have no interest in no skill blob gankfests, it is more about getting a bigger gang than the other side then any amount of tactics.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Arkhes should only spawn on Alpha islands. Only way you should be allowed to spawn on Beta is if you have a light bot or better in the terminal where you are homed.

I'm of the opinion unfit arkhes should spawn everywhere but the modules for them should have free npc sell orders on the alphas only.

Arkhe's shouldn't be effective at anything other than killing starter drones. Period.

This can be achieved by making it so that Arkhe's can only fit SynTec equipment, create a new ammo type that can only be used in syntec guns / have syn tec equip not use ammo at all then reduce the overall damage by 100x along with the drone hp by 100x.

I'm sure we all agree that blobbing is what you have too do to fight off the other blob.

Possible Counters.

Defensive structures
-deploy-able within claimed area and a specific bot designed to counter the structure.
-could also be defensive structure as well.

Alpha Island Transportation
-Currently its easy to mass a number and travel the beta islands with a blob. Consider putting a time limit per number of people on the alpha to beta transporters. so 10 people every 10 minuets to allow time to counter a large group.

Squad Restrictions and bonuses
-Force people into small groups by allowing only so many people in a squad. Some sort of squad bonuses that make you want to keep the numbers down. maybe the more people in a squad the less bonus you get. or maybe within an area...

I Love the even fights or even a little uneven but currently there is no reason to have smaller groups of people. M2S have some great pvps and Styx is a great fc and i love the engagements we get. I would like to see more small roaming groups over large 150 man blobs.

Think it's time to set up a skype group with this intention as the beta group seems to have got their splitting just right.

I would really like some mecahnism which would limit how many  can lock on a single target, making more locks impossible or just harder. It would make the fights much more strategic and reduce the power of "blobs". I know it could be exploited by neutral/friendly locks.. but maybe some could think of a not to complicated mechanism to prevent that.

Simple solution. The more people closer together the higher a negative effect is applied until the close together people are unable to move or shoot. Something like that.

LOS being blocked by other robots would be very good but probably hard to code and very bad for the server. Collisions would also *** the server further. Limiting locking targets would be hard to make exploitable as friendly would all lock each other.

Blobbing should be allowed but it should have a negative effect to all players in the blob. The effect doesn't matter as long as it's negative.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Blobbing should be allowed but it should have a negative effect to all players in the blob. The effect doesn't matter as long as it's negative.

and sufficient enough to heavily discourage blobbing.

You are holding the gun at the wrong end.

Blobbling is not the root of the problem you have to fix, it is a symptom.

First of all, blobbing is inevitable. Ever since humanity started to wage wars, they always tried to bring more force than what the enemy had, simply to increase chances of victory. You might be able to forge arbitrary limitations that reduce / discourage blobbing, but it will always feel artificial and it will be very hard to come up with a system that works fair under all circumstances or even just in the majority of cases.

Why is blobbing so appearent in this game? Because of its size. I will draw some EVE analogies, so if you do not like those, then stop reading. I use EVE as an example, as it is pretty much what perp aims to be when it comes to open world pvp.

What we have in perp right now, 3 alpha and 3 beta islands is ridiculously small and way too big at the same time. Small, as the number of access points to/from each island is about the same than the average number of jump gates in a system from eve, except that in EVE, you have 8-10 times the systems in a single region, then you have islands in perp, and theres plenty of regions, not to mention, that the regions im talking about are 100% pvp zones, while perp is only 50% pvp right now, with 3 islands being pve only.

There is a lack of choke points in the game, which makes it hard to set up ambushes and absurdly easy to set up blockades (be it for attack or defense)

On the other hand however, the islands seem large, mostly because the lack of fast travel and the difficulties of getting around the various plants / elevation. In EVE, systems are huge, but you travel from point to point using a fast travel mechanism called warping. This means that you:
- Do not have to press W, or use auto move AND
- Do not have to actively dodge the grass that keeps growing everywhere and that you can't even clear out of the way in most cases.

So I spend comparable time travelling in perp, as i spend in eve when i try to get from point A to point B, except that in the case of EVE, travel itself is lengthy but does not require active attention, not to mention the presence of an autopilot. In PERP on the other hand travel takes just as long, but it is also tiring and requires me actively focusing on it if i do not want to get stuck on a tree. (or have auto move turn off because of a lag spike)

Another effect of the low number of islands is corporation dominance. In EVE, you have many many small groups or even single persons out in 0.0, because it is vast and even though territory might be claimed, it is large enough so it can't be effeciently patrolled all the time. With mere 3 islands, that is impossible here. If you - as a single person, or even just a small group - would want to go out there to do something, you would inside an hour bump into one of the entities claiming that island, that is, if you manage to get past the people usually guarding the teleporters leading onto the island. If you do not want to see blobs, you first have to see small groups making their way into beta, which you will simply not see in the current setup.

Yet another problem of beta as it is now.. uniformity. The three beta islands are more or less the same, except for the missions and the primary faction of NPCs you encounter there. There is no good beta and better beta, or bad beta and worse beta. There is just beta numero uno, two, and drei. Thats about the only difference you have between the current beta islands. There should be islands that are richer than others, islands that have no outposts at all, islands that have good spawns and islands that just suck (but are still better than alpha islands.

To sum it up:
1) More beta islands would be needed, each with only one type of outpost and no freakin terminals.
2) Add islands without outposts or terminals, but generally being a lot better than stadard beta islands. Let's call them gamma islands. These should only be accessible from beta islands.
3) Introduce a fast travel network that allows you to move from teleporter to teleporter without having to run through half the island in the process. The distance between the main teleporters and the terminals on alpha stations would be a decent mean distance to travel between each 'jump', allowing for some decent fights around teleport gates, but still allowing travel at a decent speed inbetween teleports. This option only really works out, if you increase the number of teleport nodes to go through by quite a lot.

Generally speaking, you have to increase the size of the world A LOT. By a lot i mean a lot.. EVE was the size you see today (minus 2-3 regions or so, but thats only about 10-15% of the map size) even when the PCU was less than 3000, and guess what.. we still managed to bump into eachother quite regularly.. If you want an epic game, you have to present an epic world first, and perp's just is not big enough for that right now. Not by a long shot.

Compared to EVE, Perp is as if we would be constrained to 6 adjoining star systems out of the few thousand that are in that game. I hope you realize how pathetic that looks in scale.

Peach, most of the area on the beta islands are empty and hardly visited adding more wont make people blob less.  The issue with blobs isn't the effect on single or small groups trying to sneak around beta islands its more of an issue when trying to have a good squad vs squad fight. As I see it the blobs are mainly caused by a 3 factors:

• Fear of loss and the resulting NIC/reputation hit, safety in numbers.

• Weekend warriors with little play time. They don't have much time so when they do get on they absolutely want to make it to a fight if there is one going on.

• Game mechanics, there is no downside to bringing more people. It doesn't matter how skilfully you play if the other side vastly outnumbers you they will take few losses and destroy you.

Fear of loss is down to player psychology, not much the devs can do about that one.
Weekend warriors are totally entitled to play and look for fights so this is also a non-issue.
The only thing that they can do is change the game mechanics to discourage large mindless zergs.

Adding more islands wont stop the blob it'll just spread out the small number of Beta island living players even more and make fights and conflict even less likely.

Peach wrote:

Another effect of the low number of islands is corporation dominance. In EVE, you have many many small groups or even single persons out in 0.0, because it is vast and even though territory might be claimed, it is large enough so it can't be effeciently patrolled all the time. With mere 3 islands, that is impossible here. If you - as a single person, or even just a small group - would want to go out there to do something, you would inside an hour bump into one of the entities claiming that island, that is, if you manage to get past the people usually guarding the teleporters leading onto the island. If you do not want to see blobs, you first have to see small groups making their way into beta, which you will simply not see in the current setup.

I was discussing this on teamspeak the other night, this is a very big problem.  3 chokepoints per island can easily be scouted almost 100% of the time meaning nothing but a large group who is coming with the intention of a fight can really gain access to beta.  Devices that allow groups to teleport to beacons or random places on a island would actually be very cool, anything to bypass the very limited number of island teleports and add some danger to beta, as right now it is actually very safe if you are in the controlling alliance.

Adding more beta islands would also help with this, all the dangerous territory in the game should not be locked down like it is right now, let more people into it who are not part of the major corps out there currently.

As far as limiting blob warfare, it's difficult to believe that ever will be possible, other than in a cultural shift.  I remember in a post I made that i challenged ppl not to blob, but to increase skill, and the response that I most remember was, whereas the person enjoyed GFs, he prefered to win no matter what.  That really is the main issue - you engage someone with about equal numbers, lose a few times, and most people's immediate response is, bring more people, instead of, get better at doing it.

A couple ideas come to mind, however, and I will admit I am stealing heavily fron Battletech.  One concept would be overheating your bot/mech to the point of shutdown.  As your modules run, and guns fire, you will be generating radiant heat.  In small groups, this will not be an issue, but in larger groups, with alot of bots radiating heat, it becomes a grave issue, to the point that the larger the group, the more chance that your bot will shut down due to overheating for a period of time, effectively removing you from the fight.  The larger the blob, the higher the probablity of a shutdown for everyone in that group.

The other revolves around outpost incursions.  When you sign up for an incurion, it gets treated as a bachall (battle challenge (Clan concept)), where you bid the amount of forces that you will bring.  The defender can also input how many they will bring.  Whoever bids the lowest number decides the maximun number that each corp signed up for the incursion can bring, and the defending corp.

Prior to the actual incursion time, say an hour for arguement, the SAPs put out a EM field, that the signed up corps have to be attuned with. EM field extends between all the SAPs and also 1500 meters from the SAPS out beyound that area.  Attunement consists of a corp officer of the corp signed up or defending has to be a squad leader( allowing other corps to have members in the squad)  If anyone brings more that the lowest number bid, the extra bots, randomly selected, shut down.  If anyone else tries to enter the EM field area, their bots shut down.

Obviously, people will find holes in such a system, and I can think of a few right off the bat.  Maybe allowing the defending corp to bring 2x the low bid might offset 10 corps signing up for the incursion, and their allies also would have to sign up, with those same limits.  Or a big enough coalition of corps could all sign up each for 10, and still bring 80 guys.  But the expense grows as you do that.

Not saying that the idea is workable as is - I am just throwing out another concept that could be refined.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Kroth wrote:

Adding more islands wont stop the blob it'll just spread out the small number of Beta island living players even more and make fights and conflict even less likely.

When EVE started, there were MANY more systems than players and yet players managed to interact. How? There were vast areas of unused space with some concentrated hubs of people living together.

Why was this important? Because if you wanted to take the risk, there always was some corner of pvp space that you had the chance to claim as your own. It might not have been the best one out there, but it was definitely a step up from empire space.

The way EVE is today is a natural evolution of how the players kept moving around that same universe, always adepting to the changing environment and politics. They did not add any meaningful number of systems to that game since launch.. maybe 10-15% increase at most, while the PCU went from 2000ish to 60k+ so believe me when i tell you, that the majority of the issues the game is facing and will be facing in the immediate future comes from its small scale game world.

You do not have to do what EVE does of course.. god forbid someone might compare perp to the game that has been growing steadily through the past 7 years.. but it is still a fact, that eve kept growing all these years.

Expanding the game world on demand is just not the same as having the game world being there from the start. The world will not have the same natural demographic patterns and that WILL cause problems on the long run.