1 (edited by Lahha 2012-05-11 21:03:21)

Topic: Black screen on terrain

When on terrain I get this black screen http://postimage.org/image/3ohdnltr9

It's only graphics issue since I can redock if I can find my way back to docking range blind and click where the enter button is supposed to be.

I updated graphics driver and redownloaded the client. Didn't help.

Windows XP 32-bit
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

Re: Black screen on terrain

Does this only happen when you use two clients like on the screenshot?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Does this only happen when you use two clients like on the screenshot?

Number of clients open has no effect.

Check something for me please: turn off shadows completely, turn off AA completely, go into fullscreen 1024*768 mode, restart the client and see if that does anything to fix the issue. (This should reduce video memory requirements a bit and if this works we'll need to have a look at the vidmem usage of the client)

DEV BoyC wrote:

Check something for me please: turn off shadows completely, turn off AA completely, go into fullscreen 1024*768 mode, restart the client and see if that does anything to fix the issue. (This should reduce video memory requirements a bit and if this works we'll need to have a look at the vidmem usage of the client)

Didn't make any difference.

Well in this case I'd need to have a look at a d3d debug if you're willing to go into some length to test this issue for us - it does involve installing the d3d sdk  and dbgview however smile

DEV BoyC wrote:

Well in this case I'd need to have a look at a d3d debug if you're willing to go into some length to test this issue for us - it does involve installing the d3d sdk  and dbgview however smile

I installed the SDK and ran the dbgview. Not really sure what I am supposed do with em but here's a log I was able to produce. http://pastebin.com/uC9dcLWY

Allright, that's good. Here's what I need you to do:
Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Utilities\bin\x86\dxcpl.exe, this is the dx sdk config tool. I'll need you to put the sdk into debug mode for this.

To do that you'll need to go to the direct3d 9 tab and set two things: the debug output level should be the second to last (setting it all the way up will just fill the log with unneeded data so don't do that), and set the debug/retail d3d9 runtime option to "use debug version of direct3d 9".

Once you're done with this create a clean log just like you did and drop it to pastebin.

Also don't forget to undo the changes (set the sdk back to retail) once you've created the log or you'll experience diminished performance with d3d apps.

http://www.elektroniikkafoorumi.com/per … 48.LOG.txt (1,78MB)
It was too long  for pastebin so had to use my server.

Ok... This will take a while to process smile We'll probably need to do some more tracing of this but first we'll have to narrow the problem down - I'll get back to you on this tomorrow hopefully.

Looks like the texture format used by the new terrain engine isn't supported by your card, I'm looking into a workaround.

We're currently testing a build internally that might solve this issue - if we don't find any problems with it ourselves we'll put it on the test server so you can check it out. I'll notify you here if that happens.

DEV BoyC wrote:

We're currently testing a build internally that might solve this issue - if we don't find any problems with it ourselves we'll put it on the test server so you can check it out. I'll notify you here if that happens.

Ok. thx.

14 (edited by Annihilator 2012-05-12 20:12:53)

has that something to do with the erromessage in console:

[3dresource]Error:sResource NULL in definition 4865!

alternative numbers: 4867,4866,4457,4864

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Allright, the new client should be up, please let me know if this has fixed the game for you, Lahha.

Annihilator: no, this issue is a missing videocard feature kinda thing, those errors you referred to indicate missing artwork (they are mainly a way for the graphics artists to track down content bugs, not all of them are actual errors)

DEV BoyC wrote:

Allright, the new client should be up, please let me know if this has fixed the game for you, Lahha.

Annihilator: no, this issue is a missing videocard feature kinda thing, those errors you referred to indicate missing artwork (they are mainly a way for the graphics artists to track down content bugs, not all of them are actual errors)

sad Still doesn't work.

Allright then do the log thingie again, I added some extra logging just in case. Make sure d3d debug is on again so I can find the errors.

18 (edited by Lahha 2012-05-12 21:39:28)

DEV BoyC wrote:

Allright then do the log thingie again, I added some extra logging just in case. Make sure d3d debug is on again so I can find the errors.

http://www.elektroniikkafoorumi.com/per … 34.LOG.txt (1,88 MB)

We put out a new client with a lot more logging going on, please do another dump now, same as before with d3d debug.

DEV BoyC wrote:

We put out a new client with a lot more logging going on, please do another dump now, same as before with d3d debug.

http://www.elektroniikkafoorumi.com/per … 39.LOG.txt (2,11 MB)

Well this is really a weird issue... We replaced one of the shaders on the terrain for now, would you please check and do another dump? This might not fix anything yet, but we need to reduce the possibilities.

http://www.elektroniikkafoorumi.com/per … 34.LOG.txt (1,8 MB)

Well that didn't help either. Ok this is at the point where we'll need to hunt down a system that can reproduce this issue. There's not much more we can do until then. We're on it don't worry.

Update: We'll be getting an x1950 on monday and will be checking up on the issue then.