1 (edited by Alexander 2012-05-10 17:28:55)

Topic: Installer/Downloader Feedback

As we're able to all use the Installer/Downloader now we can provide some pre-opening feedback.
It makes sense to keep each section to it's own thread
I've so far downloaded 550 MB of the 615 MB download and it's not stalled, stopped or crashed yet.
It does slow down on a few 'sticky' parts (around 190 MB) but it looks like it will complete without crashing.

It's certainly more stable but could certainly be faster as it was using a fraction of my total bandwidth (Around 0.8 MB/s when I can download at a maximum of around 4 MB/s)

The client is still VERY small which is good to see and would, if able to use the feel extent of my bandwidth, have taken around 3 minutes rather than around 10-15 minutes.

So far it's all looking very impressive but we'll see how it handles players testing it.

TL;DR:

• Didn't crash or stick

• Could have been faster

Re: Installer/Downloader Feedback

I've done an overhaul of the downloading code which is why it doesn't hang anymore. Why it doesn't go for your entire bandwidth, I'm not entirely sure yet - might be the buffer size being too small.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

It was very quick over here on fast internet.

Shaedys wrote:

It was very quick over here on fast internet.

Lucky mad

Download went decently smooth here, it did choke up at a few points and start going slowly / barely moving.

Downloading from central USA.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

30 miles from London on 14MBps connection at peak time for UK (20:12). 14m21s.

Did stick a bit at 194MB-202MB and again at 296MB but that could be due to a whole plethora of reasons.

.....and I'm taking the lead at 5m41 seconds!

ZOMGALLURISPZUXXORSOBADLY!!!!! fuuu

Looks like there is a "Slow part" as a few people have mentioned it. Likely it's a section of lots of little files that slow down the overall download.

But no one has complained of a disconnection. How does the downloader cope with latency issues now? Any better than before? Any attempt to reconnection if it loses connection?

How does the downloader cope with latency issues now? Any better than before? Any attempt to reconnection if it loses connection?

Bugs have been fixed, the retry system was enhanced, and now it's using keep-alive connections.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

any links for the .gbf file?:D

i approve the awesomeness of installer and patcher

Didn't know it was a contest or I woulda timed it but I started it went to brush my teeth, came back and it was done so around 3-5mins. Was very nice and fast. No complaints

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

From PST time zone, download took 40 minutes on broadband connection (15Mbs cable).