1 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-01 14:11:30)

Topic: Unified mining field system

This is an idea I had a while back, not sure if I have mentioned it before on the forums. With the new random ore spawning which makes it even more complicated these changes together with the 'new industry' can tip the balance to simplify it and make it easier.

What you see on the ground, material tiles have no distinction between the different ores/liquids. As liquids behave differently when mined there will only be 2 kind of deposits, ore fields and liquid fields, with only 2 miner charge types needed.

Fields will have 4 different quality grades, need to mine it to find out though or maybe by using your scanner.

Example for thelodica islands to get the picture:

Ore field quality 1: 70% titan 20% immentium 10% siligium chance once mined.

Ore field quality 3: 60% siligium 30% immentium titan 10%

Ore field quality 4: (On beta islands only) 80% epitron 15% immentium 5% siligium

Liquid field quality 1: 80% HDT 20% liquizit

Liquid field quality: 3 80% liquizit 20% HDT

Chances (%) change depending on your specific material mining skill.

Advantages:

Much simplified mining and geoscanning, only 2 miner charges need ore charges/Liquid charges and 2 scanner charges too.

Moving around between fields is not that complicated unless switching from ore to liquid fields only.

Get all your faction specific needs from one field.

Beta islanders can still get Epitron, with that extra bit of alpha ores on one sitting, not feeling dumb they are at risk from just mining alpha materials.

Any disadvantages?

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Unified mining field system

I'd rather see mining LASER not consuming ammo at all1... and mining whatever mineral there is in the tile i have locked. If there are multiple minerals, i just get a bit of each²

Unified deposits are not so good - at the same time they could let us collect "Vespine Gas" and "Minerals" and "refine" it to the commodities we want for production.

1) the legacy code that does not allow ammo-less weapons needs to be rewritten anyway.
²) with a "a bit of each" i mean dividing your miners total U/min³ rate relative to your individual mineral extensions.
³) assuming that at this point mining efficiency would be calculated in U/min

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We could always remove charges entirely and have ore miner and liquid miner modules.

Anni- You say unified fields are not so good, but then contradict yourself somewhat wink

RIP PERPETUUM

It's nice to be able to go out and get exactly what you want now.

It would be more interesting to have mixed resources tiles.

5 (edited by Gremrod 2012-05-01 18:55:47)

Annihilator wrote:

I'd rather see mining LASER not consuming ammo at all

I agree with this one. I would go a bit further and not pull mining charges from the game but if they are used to mine a specific ore and you use the charge for it then you get a better yield.

So you can mine with out them or mine with them.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2012/05/ … rs-pilots/

Tractors of today are crammed with state-of-the-art entertainment systems. “Why is that?” Cummings asked the audience. “It’s because it’s really boring. Let’s turn this over to the robot so that person can do something else.”

Really, when you think about it, IRL we're working hard to automate systems so we as humans can be productive doing things that aren't repetitious, maybe things we find entertaining. Then we play games, and we're faced with repetitious chores, so we watch youtube while mining, to be entertained.

The problems is, if you are entertained a lot whilst mining every one will do it and it's value will just plummet. For items ingame to have a value time and grind gives it that value.

RIP PERPETUUM

People tend to play Perp for long periods of time, mostely because the game demands it. In PVP you have to run around for hours to find a fight, in mining, you have to sit there for hours watching the U's tick up.

Many PVP players toss a miner out on a second account, because running around isn't difficult, and they let the miner go idle if they find PVP. Miners will have multiple miner accounts, and watch a movie or do 'something else' while they are mining.

In any case you look at, no single profession adequately keeps players entertained in Perp.

The flip side is, that more casual players, with 1 account and short play times, are also not getting entertained. The pvp player, with 1 account, is either a 100% drain on their corporation or spending 4/7 of their time grinding for NIC to replace bots, 3/7 of their time looking for pvp, and only 1/7 of their time actually doing what they want. Same with the miner, that has one account and an hour to mine, has to spend to make (4) trips to the mining site; initial drive, back after mining, out to empty can, back with ore. Even if the field is only 7 minutes away, that 28 minutes of their hour... 1/2 their time, spent just driving (Combat PVE players have the same issues too)... (btw, roaming may only steal another 5 mins, but that's 20% of their time).

So. Put those together, and you have a game, the requires the player to play for long periods of time (like farmers needing to be in the tractor cab) but the entertainment value of that time is minimal, so they do something else while playing (like the farmer's example).

How can we improve the game? I'll let someone else worry about the PVP side.

Firstly, is reduce the travel time the casual miner needs, its the low hanging fruit. Reduce the volume of ore, or add in the compression 'system', so mining bots can hold the equivalent of 30 minutes of ore; that's 20 mins of travel and finding ore, 30 mins mining (the same they would normally get) and 10 mins to plan, market, or just not feel rushed.

Have something else that uses mining skills that results in direct NIC, like plasma farming. That is, introduce a mineral that has no production value but can be sold directly to Nia for NIC; or exchanged for research.

And, if your first thought was "That's going to make ORE way too expensive because players won't be mining for the market", congratulations, you've finally seen the flaw in the entire system. The entire game's production, hinges on the miners, mining. Recall Janurary '11, when titan was .35 nic. Yeah, that was because the game had lots of miners supplying the market. You don't hear miners complaining now, because the ones that are left are getting .65 nic now.

Really, for something that the entire game depends on to keep it going, they should really REALLY pay more attention to it.

A T1 argano mining for an hour with low to medium skills can get 500k+ NIC per hour, that can buy you a light bot with T1 fittings to go pvp and or maybe an assault. That's pretty basic pvp setup, but most want the big mechs and t4 fittings then they have to spend more time grinding. My point is the opportunity is there to pvp cheaply with numbers for a minimal grind. I still agree travel time and material volumes is still a problem.

Mixed resource tiles just simplifies the whole ordeal of scanning and find what you need specially with the ore fields moving locations from time to time.

RIP PERPETUUM

one hour grind mining for 5 minutes fun.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Mixed resource tiles won't change the underlying issue of mining, that the most effcient way to mine is for long periods, with multiple accounts.

This holds regardless if your on beta or safe on alpha.

I didn't imply anywhere, that PVP players with single accounts would be mining for NIC, since they could make more NPC farming. Also, new players have enough EP issues without splitting them between mining and combat skills.

As for "cheaply with numbers", you're going into a whole different side of the game, corp pvp.

Regardless of where the ore comes from corp miners or purchased off the market, in the end SOMEONE is mining that material.

What happens to the game if players just stop mining? Obviously, not everyone will stop, because the price of ore would go way up and up until it was more profitable to mine then NPC farm. But that will also inflate the cost of produced goods.

Making mining faster(easier), ore becomes more available, raw prices drop and cost of goods drops. As raw ore prices drop, players stop mining, prices go up, and the coaster continues until it stablizes.

But, with the new system, they can also control the volume of ore available. So, in the end faster mining doesn't actually produce more raw material, it just means miners spend less time getting it, and don't have to sit around watching TV.

What's a miner to do with the 'extra' time they would have normally spent mining? Transport.

Hauling will never be a stand-alone profession (a few dedicated players could do it, but in general 3-4 hours of hauling is too mind numbeing). But give players the tools to combine hauling and mining, then they can spend a 4 hour session doing more than 1 thing, which by any definition is MORE entertaining then doing the same thing.

Arga wrote:

People tend to play Perp for long periods of time, mostely because the game demands it. In PVP you have to run around for hours to find a fight, in mining, you have to sit there for hours watching the U's tick up.

Many PVP players toss a miner out on a second account, because running around isn't difficult, and they let the miner go idle if they find PVP. Miners will have multiple miner accounts, and watch a movie or do 'something else' while they are mining.

In any case you look at, no single profession adequately keeps players entertained in Perp.

The flip side is, that more casual players, with 1 account and short play times, are also not getting entertained. The pvp player, with 1 account, is either a 100% drain on their corporation or spending 4/7 of their time grinding for NIC to replace bots, 3/7 of their time looking for pvp, and only 1/7 of their time actually doing what they want. Same with the miner, that has one account and an hour to mine, has to spend to make (4) trips to the mining site; initial drive, back after mining, out to empty can, back with ore. Even if the field is only 7 minutes away, that 28 minutes of their hour... 1/2 their time, spent just driving (Combat PVE players have the same issues too)... (btw, roaming may only steal another 5 mins, but that's 20% of their time).

So. Put those together, and you have a game, the requires the player to play for long periods of time (like farmers needing to be in the tractor cab) but the entertainment value of that time is minimal, so they do something else while playing (like the farmer's example).

Firstly, is reduce the travel time the casual miner needs, its the low hanging fruit. Reduce the volume of ore, or add in the compression 'system', so mining bots can hold the equivalent of 30 minutes of ore; that's 20 mins of travel and finding ore, 30 mins mining (the same they would normally get) and 10 mins to plan, market, or just not feel rushed.

Have something else that uses mining skills that results in direct NIC, like plasma farming. That is, introduce a mineral that has no production value but can be sold directly to Nia for NIC; or exchanged for research.

And, if your first thought was "That's going to make ORE way too expensive because players won't be mining for the market", congratulations, you've finally seen the flaw in the entire system. The entire game's production, hinges on the miners, mining. Recall Janurary '11, when titan was .35 nic. Yeah, that was because the game had lots of miners supplying the market. You don't hear miners complaining now, because the ones that are left are getting .65 nic now.

Really, for something that the entire game depends on to keep it going, they should really REALLY pay more attention to it.

Arga using Hungarian Math at its finest.  4+3+1 equals 7.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Arga wrote:

+1, well written.

Arga wrote:

But, with the new system, they can also control the volume of ore available. So, in the end faster mining doesn't actually produce more raw material, it just means miners spend less time getting it, and don't have to sit around watching TV.

This I dont really understand? When you finish your field you pack your stuff and move to another one. Well yeah. Moving between fields is gonna take some time but based on what I've read island will not run out of ore.

Packing up and moving between fields makes mining much more like harvesting is now. The current plant requirements in production are significantly lower than minerals, because they are harder to collect. And because of the moving in harvesting, significantly less players do this resource gathering.

@ville, I noticed that, but was too lazy to correct it )

Historically, every change to mining has resulted in fewer miners. 1 in 100 players mine because it's 'fun', the other 99 mine for profit. Make mining less profitable and we can reliably predict from previous experience what will happen.

To spell it out. Mining is only productive when your lasers are cycling on a tile. Moving, relocking, relocating, and searching for tiles all result in less output, and less profit.

For corp miners, longer hours online to accomplish the same goals, means more burnout.

Arga wrote:

For corp miners, longer hours online to accomplish the same goals, means more burnout.

Really?  But Dev Zoom said the definition of something being Grinding is doing the Same thing over and over again!  But But he promises that when i Go and artifact scan my field, and find very little that I won't have to worry because I will be changing fields so, so I can go do something else!  This is so Awesome, I can't wait to try this out.   fuuu

Last year I had an arguement, err discussion, with NEX about mining-drones/towers that gather materials without player interaction (I was, am, against it).

What's happening with mining is exactly that, but instead of mining towers they're paid accounts, but the result is the same, the bot is mining while the player is off doing something else.

So, I understand what zoom/devs are trying to do, by adding in the randomness of discovery and making it less automated, and I agree with it at one level.

It feels like they wanted to make mining less repetitious and more enjoyable, but didn't take into account that entire corporation effectiveness hinges on their resource gathering. That is, making mining more entertaining is terrific, but it can't be done by sacrificing productivity.

The combination of the scanning, fragmentation [field size/volume], and accessability are going to be huge contributing factors in productivity. It's all good to tell miners to just spend more time mining, but changing game dynamics doesn't reduce a irl 60 hour workweek or make change the celestial clock to 26 hours.

If anything, I've been pushing (since those converstations with NEX) to have miners get more ore per hour, but have less ore available. Small, but dense fields, spaced far apart, with faster mining cycles. This is 'almost' what they've given us, which means the changes to make it 'work' are minimal.

Arga your just waning your cake and to eat it too.

Ville wrote:

Arga your just waning your cake and to eat it too.

Off with my head.

Bump* Would have prefered these mining changes compared to the indy 2.0 one neutral

RIP PERPETUUM

ZOMG Necro!  Prepare the Dev Zoom ban bot gogogogogogogoggogogogogogogogogogogogoggogogogogogogogogogog!
I was aganist this system, but I think it might be more enjoyable then this *** mining system we have now.  Oh those were the days... when fields were fields and devs balanced things properly... long ago were those days.

Will I get banned again for necroing for answering a post that's less than a day old? Or will it be because I am asking about moderation? Tune back in after the commercial break for an exciting development on the forums!