1 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-27 21:26:48)

Topic: Little tiny player choices that are missing in this game.

Okay going to ramble on here a bit.

The game is missing little tiny player choices that allow for players to make their own fun.

One example below....

Alpha being 100% safe. And I mean 100% safe, we all know that one..... I can target people, but only shoot them if they manually flag themselves? WTH????

I want to suicide gank them, it is a choice why can't I make it?

Why can't I as a player make my own choice to become an outlaw?

Give me npc cans that can be looted by anyone and if I decide to steal and open myself to attack by the player that has rights over the loot then it is up to me.

Let me make my own choices......

Please ad your own to the list or tell me why this would be bad.

Thanks

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: Little tiny player choices that are missing in this game.

Gremrod wrote:

I want to suicide them, it is my choice what is wrong?

Have you seen a doctor yet?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

I want to suicide them, it is my choice what is wrong?

Have you seen a doctor yet?

LOL doh!. Let me fix that one.....

But in all seriousness, in my opinion there HAS to be a place where you can feel absolutely safe. Suiciding a 0-day noob will hardly do any good for the game.

5 (edited by Burial 2012-04-27 21:33:17)

If you make the consequences to such action harsh enough, you loose mindless griefing. I like the idea a lot.

Make the consequences however hard you want, that still won't help the poor guy who just got his first hard-earned Castel suicide-ganked.

Cause make no mistake: if the possibility is given, someone WILL do it.

7 (edited by Arga 2012-04-27 21:46:28)

Its a tiny choice, but a big concept.

Before even considering adding suicide ganking in safe zone, a whole new system of faction and consequences would need to be evolved.

But beyond that, you give one player a choice, while taking it away from another.

The idea Grem is proposing, is that everyone chooses to be a target, simply by joining the game. You've basically giving the player an ultimatium, which is "accept you can be killed, or don't play".

At this point, do we really need to present that kind of choice to players?

And to that, what Positive results could possibly result from this kind of change?

Edit: Although I'm almost sure Grem is trolling, I bit anyway, because he has an special tag wink

8 (edited by Celebro 2012-04-27 21:58:50)

There's always stEVE for this, so no perpetuum needs to be unique in its own way. Hell they even took observers off alpha as they were killing too many noobs.

RIP PERPETUUM

9 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-27 21:52:08)

Arga wrote:

And to that, what Positive results could possibly result from this kind of change?

Player made events and content based on this very type of mechanic.

Arga wrote:

Edit: Although I'm almost sure Grem is trolling, I bit anyway, because he has an special tag wink

No really I am not trolling.

Celebro wrote:

There's always stEVE for this, so no perpetuum needs to unique in its own way. Hell they even took observers off alpha as they were killing too many noobs.

It doesn't have to be just like I have posted in the OP or anything like EVE. I am really just talking mainly player choice that is an action that comes with a possible player based judgement for me being an outlaw or greifer.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Make the consequences however hard you want, that still won't help the poor guy who just got his first hard-earned Castel suicide-ganked.

Cause make no mistake: if the possibility is given, someone WILL do it.

You are correct it can happen, but I would want it to be worth it if I was going to do it. A nice fat scarab loaded with some nice loot.....

This would drive inflation totally through the roof.  I am 100% against this on a moral basis.  I have to agree with Zoom. *shudders*  This helps noone.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

This would drive inflation totally through the roof.  I am 100% against this on a moral basis.  I have to agree with Zoom. *shudders*  This helps noone.

This is what I am looking for to tell me why we don't want stuff like this in Perpetuum.

Thanks Villa.

This post is why we don't want this type of thing in Perpetuum

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/64841/#p64841

Maybe this is a "larger" player choice  but when prototyping - I would like to decide what item my prototyping "points" go into.   Unlocking the next level up as the first one is complete.

Deathmonkey wrote:

Maybe this is a "larger" player choice  but when prototyping - I would like to decide what item my prototyping "points" go into.   Unlocking the next level up as the first one is complete.

I had always thought a Research Pool would be great, rather then it being a set research path as it is now.

Deathmonkey wrote:

+1 like that too, surprised 'new industry' did not offer any new research changes.

RIP PERPETUUM

haha, grem, you must be either trolling, or you have joined the game after m2s exploited the hell out of the gankability on ics-a back when it was still possible.

to bad the youtube footage got removed due to copyrighted music mixed in.

beta had around 50 active player at that moment, and from one day to the other the population was down to... 3 or 5 until hotfix of that.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Gremrod wrote:
Ville wrote:

This is what I am looking for to tell me why we don't want stuff like this in Perpetuum.

Thanks Villa.

I am glad your autocorrect views me as a house.  BTW did I just get trolled?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

19 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-28 00:09:14)

Ville wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Ville wrote:

Thanks Villa.

I am glad your autocorrect views me as a house.  BTW did I just get trolled?

LOL, I am starting to get a hang of it I think....

Annihilator wrote:

haha, grem, you must be either trolling, or you have joined the game after m2s exploited the hell out of the gankability on ics-a back when it was still possible.

to bad the youtube footage got removed due to copyrighted music mixed in.

beta had around 50 active player at that moment, and from one day to the other the population was down to... 3 or 5 until hotfix of that.

Yes and no. But I did some stuff before they torn down the police towers. wink

Gremrod wrote:

The game is missing little tiny player choices that allow for players to make their own fun.

When a rapist caught his victim, and make your own fun, I do not believe that the victim was fun.

Gremrod wrote:

I want to suicide gank them, it is a choice why can't I make it?

Why can't I as a player make my own choice to become an outlaw?

Give me npc cans that can be looted by anyone and if I decide to steal and open myself to attack by the player that has rights over the loot then it is up to me.

Let me make my own choices......

You can take a gun and kill someone on the street. After that, the justice system will put you in jail for at least 20 years or more.
In this game, a penalty equivalent to it, would be 20 years ban.
Very fun, but for whom?

One man is not a "center of the world" and not the entire world to adapt itself and its desires. If anyone can do absolutely what they want, it's chaos. In chaos there is no progress and eventually everyone will be unhappy. So there are rules we must follow in order to survive together.
And in this game, it means that everyone has fun, and not just someone.

Kazimir Casus wrote:

One man is not a "center of the world" and not the entire world to adapt itself and its desires. If anyone can do absolutely what they want, it's chaos. In chaos there is no progress and eventually everyone will be unhappy. So there are rules we must follow in order to survive together.
And in this game, it means that everyone has fun, and not just someone.

Well put.

*giggles like little girl* *pulls out notepad *
Step 1: with drawl 100 Kians, 300 Med Plates 400 Gauss guns.
Step 2: FIT THEM ALL WITH 1 Magnedart round
Step 3: Boot all 9 clients
Step 4: hand out bots
Step 5: Walk to trade hub
Step 6: Log all 9

Step 7: Yell at someone to scan cargo of enamy scarab mk 2 fleets

BEGIN KAMAKAZIE ONSLAUGHT ON ANY WITH CARGO!!!2111!111

That how a Lemon market PvP's, you just blow up the other guys stock fuuu

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

24 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-04-28 08:44:01)

First off:

Alpha 1 should always be 100% safe. its the noob zones so leave them in peace.

IF any of the ideas posted in this thread do happen it should be on  Alpha 2 islands.
As it stands now An alpha 2 island is divided up into "zones". Lets use shinjala as an example.

Shinjala has 7 zones. I propose that zones that have a TP that leads to a beta island get the reintroduction of Police towers 2.0. And add some of the outer zones with police towers.

So safe zones:
Dampalor
Teqolec
Inqular Bay

Police tower protected zones:
Koija
Avash
Inqular Peninsula
Ordurai

I would recommend tho adding a WHY Between Dampalor II to the station.

Police towers 2.0 wouldnt work like 1.0 So no towers with a area of protection.

The idea:
All acts of aggression are punished by The Syndicate. I propose that there be 1 police tower placed at the station on each alpha 2 island. This tower will fire a OMGWTFBBQ missile that will fly off to kill the Aggressive player.

FLIGHT TIME will matter. this will mean. Say u want to do some mining in Koija But your only 100m into the "less than safe zone" the flight time of that syndicate missile will be very short. So if you have at least a light tank on u probably will live. & the bad guy will get roasted smile

The bad guy also knows if he can find a target WAY out on say the Inqular Peninsular Hes going to have alot more time to kill his target B4 he gets whacked.

Doing Police towers like this does away with the old problem of police towers.
But it also calls for a new type of pvp flagging.  call it criminal flagging. Once u get this your dead any where u go. you cant log. you cant use TPs.

For the Police tower its self ide imagine something like a missile Silo. That launches cruise missiles. The Syndicate uses human tech & isnt bound to use the Faction Tech that is found on each island.

So what does doing this all mean?
First off new player with better skills will still be able to go to an alpha 2 island get to its station & do their thing with out fear of getting ganked.

But if they or others wish to get to some better spawns or a better bigger ore deposit further out theres some risk. tho they know if they can hold out a nice syndicate cruise missile is on its way. smile

Also i say unlike the way eve does it. Any 1 who gets a criminal flag can be shot at / killed by any one. the criminal flag is basically a big .. plz execute me now to any 1 near by tongue

any way thats just my idea for how this could work if the devs went this way.

Also as population grows ide recommend adding more Alpha  islands that work on this same principle having the whole island working on this system.  tongue

this could provide a gentle scaling up to the free for all pvp zones.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

First off:

Alpha 1 should always be 100% safe. its the noob zones so leave them in peace.

IF any of the ideas posted in this thread do happen it should be on  Alpha 2 islands.
As it stands now An alpha 2 island is divided up into "zones". Lets use shinjala as an example.
TL:BR Stuffz

So A2 would have no real gankable zone? This game needs a true low sec. Beta can easily become lowsec once gamma enters the game.

Allow Gamma to be no-mans land no flagging just free pew pew no getting caught at TPs waiting flags.
Beta will now be a lowsec where shooting makes you flagged and you can't jump TPs except to gamma.
Assuming this is the true island layout after patch http://content.perpetuum-online.com/ima … etwork.jpg
Have the A2 be as Obi was saying but I think only have the police towers (protection on the A1 TP to Main terminal)

Gankers in Beta and Alpha will encure a Outlaw Buff/Debuff(basicly its a perma flag) which will allow them to be attacked on any island for 24 hours.

Possibly code all this in to syndicate Outlaw point system and if they are repeat offenders they will not be allowed on Alpha islands, And Syndicate will start imposing bountys on bot the player used. Once syndicte has bountied a bot, owning player will no-longer be able to unequip the bot or insure it. Swapping to a new bot is possible but bountied bot will remain in players hanger with bounty until destroied by another player or NPCs.

TL:DR need a bounty system that includes outlaws, and Alpha island privlages.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d