1 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-04-25 16:33:19)

Topic: [Idea] PBS Highways & How to Balance Them

Concept: As the title says For players to be able to build ElectroMagnetic ACcelerator Strips (EMACS) aka Highways (HWYs. To allow players to build these & power them.
This would call for a PBS version of a HWY.
However....

The main issue / problem with player built High Ways is ballance. More so the stopping of these getting spammed all over a gamma island. To control / limit this, the EMACB steps in.
And a new PBS called (for arguments sake tongue )  ElectroMagnetic ACcelerator Control Bunker (EMACB)

EMACB's would have a control range. For arguments sake lets say it would be 7Km Radius. No EMACB's area of control can overlap another EMACBs. This would mean carfull placement is needed when builting them.
Within the control area a max of 5Km of HighWays could be built.

EMACB would require Power from reactors & to be conected to a corporation thru its network of control towers. EMACBs would not power the Highways in anyway. However if an EMACB is destroyed then any Highways in its area will stop working.
EMACBs would be an advanced building & as such would require alot of materials to build.

Player built Highways (HWY):
These would work mostly as we have them now in game But being player built. These again are an Advanced PBS. They are very power hungry So they must either be connected to a transmition network / reactors.
(These might not need to be connected to a corp for "owndership" as in being directly connected to a PBS station / control tower Since its the EMACB that governs HWYs.. Just a thought).
HWYs are just ! big massive PBS they are a number of PBS combined together to form 1 "chain" of Player built structures.
HWYs Would have alot of HP. So blowing them up can be done but it is alot of work. Attacking the much softer EMACB should probably be a better option.
Doing this would stop "drive by shootings" by small numbers of roaming enemy so to speak but also allow a determind enemy to inflict MAX damage if they wished.

Alternative Ideas.
Say you wanted just 1 or 2 more KM of HWY in an area but had maxed out the 5km limit. You could go to your EMACB & "override the safety controls a little bit.. but only for a max say 2-2.4km of extra HWY ( In 200m increments).  The side effect of this would be not only will you use more power But all HWYs Under the control of that EMACB will consume 30% more power.

Similar to the above idea but Ontop of that Due to you "switching off the safeties" Each HWY PBS segmant has a chanse that it could randomly Over heat & blow up.  You would see this Showing as a shower of sparks as a visual warning (if you are paying attension) & then an explosion (dealing an AOE).
Possably how the mechanics in part could work: for every 200m you demand of the EMACB theres a 0.05% chanse of brake down or catastrofic failure. This is failure percentage is applied to each HWY PBS.

The % is 200m = 0.05% chanse of failure
Its a simple addition of percentage. aka 1km of HWY Over = 0.25% chanse of failure or with the full 2.4km = 2.4%

The problem is on what time scale do you place this. every hour? every 3? once a day? TBH im not sure.
But i think it would be cool smile

There could also be a random factor ontop of this aswell. the explosion could have a random chanse of destroying the HWY PBS that it happens to OR damaging it.

Well that was just a few of my thoughts on player built Highways i know its been talked about befor but i think this is from a slightly different angle smile

thanks for reading! big_smile

edit: ps sorry for spelling stuffups Im way to tied to be typing lol tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Re: [Idea] PBS Highways & How to Balance Them

Really neat idea,

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

3 (edited by Lahha 2012-04-25 18:37:08)

Re: [Idea] PBS Highways & How to Balance Them

This is what I came up with while reading this.

Highways would be built out of series of connected stuctures and energy is only fed to one end of it. The amount of energy needed would be proportional the amount structures in the chain (length of the highway). If too many stuctures are linked up the current through the chain goes too high and it overloads. When overloaded (random?) parts of the chain will take damage. The achievable lenght could be increased somewhat by building repair nodes next to the highway but when the load gets too high the repair nodes cant keep up. (effectively limiting the highways length, just more fun way than setting a hard limit of connected nodes).

As these highways operate they emit acceleration waves that wreak havoc on other highways. Since highway pieces connected to a same chain have their waves synchronized the effect is reduced but other highway chains built too close will take damage and blow up. (limiting the amount of highways).