Topic: Question about the new engine and avatars.

Heya.

I just returned to Perpetuum. I tried it at launch, but it didn´t tickle me enough to stay. I regret not staying since I think it´s quite awesome now. I just have two questions. I read in the dev blog that they are working on the engine and fixing the graphics to make the game look better. Is there a ETA on when this will happen, cause I haven´t found it. Also I wonder if there will be something done with the drop dead ugly avatars that we have? Haven´t read anything about this. I know this is mostly fluff, but I need my fluff fix as well. wink

Re: Question about the new engine and avatars.

grafics update  - soon, since its necessary for the terraforming.

avatars - i coudn't care less, they are fine as they are wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

grafics update  - soon, since its necessary for the terraforming.

avatars - i coudn't care less, they are fine as they are wink

OK, so probably 2-3 month for the engine then. I know most probably don´t care about them avatars, but I don´t wan´t them to look so cartonish in this harsh world of Nia... wink

graphics update i await.

I think the avatars are ok as they are but if there is nothing else higher priority for boyc to work on then I think he should work on it smile

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

graphics update i await.

I think the avatars are ok as they are but if there is nothing else higher priority for boyc to work on then I think he should work on it smile

Totally agree.

basicly, i expect the grafic update before May 15th. During the last Podcast of Gremrod, with CRM and Gargaj in it, they mentioned that BoyC has his holiday reserved for the release of Diablo III.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Leave my sexy avatar alone!

The plan is to release the gfx update along with the PBS expansion - at this point it's less work to finish everything than to revert the changes wink It's mostly content that's missing, the new lighting setup is still in the works, but the code is basically finished. I've since moved on to implement the player oriented terraforming toolset.
The avatars will get some love as well, but only after we're done with PBS. They will need a lot of experimenting with different rendering techniques and some new content as well, but right now with the looming expansion they're not too high on the todo list as you might imagine.

9 (edited by Aaron Sool 2012-04-03 05:52:57)

DEV BoyC wrote:

The plan is to release the gfx update along with the PBS expansion - at this point it's less work to finish everything than to revert the changes wink It's mostly content that's missing, the new lighting setup is still in the works, but the code is basically finished. I've since moved on to implement the player oriented terraforming toolset.
The avatars will get some love as well, but only after we're done with PBS. They will need a lot of experimenting with different rendering techniques and some new content as well, but right now with the looming expansion they're not too high on the todo list as you might imagine.

This is music to my ears. I just throw in a 3 month sub for this quote. So take the money and go out and buy the guys some beer, and show us some more screenies from PBS and the new engine in works. wink

Aaron Sool wrote:

This is music to my ears. I just throw in a 3 month sub for this quote. So take the money and go out and buy the guys some beer, and show us some more screenies from PBS and the new engine in works. wink

Would you be hydras that i wouldnt be surprised smile

So once and for all: Perp Devs dont drink beer. They drink vodka. All day long.

Cobalt wrote:
Aaron Sool wrote:

Would you be hydras that i wouldnt be surprised smile

Huh? Hydras? Not quite following ya there. But vodka then!!!

Nevermind its a post from another sandbox game forum that is quite similar to yours smile

Cobalt wrote:

thats not true... the one that answered here is more sophisticated then that... only the best whines for BoyC wink

Nope, whines is what Alf drinks wink

Cobalt wrote:

Nevermind its a post from another sandbox game forum that is quite similar to yours smile

Rgr that. Sounds like this Hydras is a really clever dude. wink

DEV Zoom wrote:

Nope, whines is what Alf drinks wink

Bah!!! Just head out and buy some alcohol then!!! tongue

A very good whine is always appreciable.  Would you like some tears in your cup of ragequit?

Cobalt wrote:

A very good whine is always appreciable.  Would you like some tears in your cup of ragequit?

Hehe, dunno if you misspelled wine on purpose there. Was funny with "h" in there. It got a whole new mining. I always have cheese with my "whine"... tongue

19 (edited by Burial 2012-04-07 20:16:26)

I am not sure how much middleware and libraries the devs use in Perpetuum but there is a great software available for generating all kinds of different faces and morphs at www.facegen.com and it could be implemented to the character creation pretty easily.

check the credits - and you will find almost no middleware at all.

I guess If they would use such stuff, the server would have been shut down already some time ago, due to financial problems.