1 (edited by Hunter 2012-04-01 03:56:30)

Topic: [Concept] The moving of money

Everyone knows the problem of money in games. This is a process that is difficult to control. There is no mechanism that can reduce or increase the total amount of money. We can only balance this. In real life money is the equivalent of goods and services. The state controls the total weight of money. The game's different. The inflow of money into the game depends on players. Money is created as much as want the players. This is such resource as the ores. The only difference - it does not disappear as ore (with robot losing).

A typical way of money:
The hunter kills the NPC or performs assignment -> Purchase of equipment -> Purchase resources to build the equipment.
Of course the scheme more complicated, but the point in this. Where is all money? Miners - last owners of money. Money is only accumulates.
This raises a question: What to do?
Solutions:
1) NPC's shop.
NPC gives the money, it should offer something to get it back.
In this game there are things that can be bought only from NPCs. Also it's possible to buy any ammo/charge by constant prices.
2) Resource cost.
Resources should cost the money. But how to realize?
In this game you can kill the NPC and get a broken item. This item can be repaired for money. As result you get more resources from this item.
3) Item creating cost.
Each item should have material and money cost.
In this game factory and prototyping works fine. Nothing to discuss here.

So... We see that the withdrawal of money from the game is. But it's not perfect. Money accumulates and do not moves. No need to create new systems. Need to improve current.

1) Active NPC's shop.
In games with the smart economy it's possible to create absolutely everything. But common things (like t1 equipment) should be cheaper to buy than build because the competition with NPC. The area of competition - the market of standard equipment and ammo/charges.
I see the problem with fraud here. Same item can be resold many times with low price. As result it possible to decrease the average price for it.
As variant it possible to not consider "short deals".

2) Correct resource distribution.
I remind that main inflow of money gives hunters. As the miners get minerals from the Nia, so hunters earn money from NPC hunting. But why need pick up/haul/repair t1 items if possible and simplest way is mining/buying ores?
Answer: T1 should contain specific resource, which impossible to mine on alpha. But it should not cover all demand.
I don't know where from appeared "great" idea to remove espitium from t1. It was a good strike on economy.

TLDR: The whole economy always will be based on alpha. Money should work instead of accumulating. Need to improve NPC market and organize good money withdrawal through the repair shop.

...no need snatch player's money under the pretence of fixes.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Re: [Concept] The moving of money

Hunter wrote:

TL DR;

Put Espitium back in T1 items.

Hunter Espit was removed because alot of indy toons were qq'ing that T1 items that required it were pointless to produce because it was cheaper and easier to just farm them off of 1st starsand repair then to worry about either mining Epi or recycling the item. Granted this was pre-repair/recycle patch but Still makes sense plus didn't plasma get a boost when they killed the Espit out of T1 items?

Are we going back to when you were crusading for all T1 items to be removed from npcs? So that they only dropped T0 flawed?

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

3 (edited by Hunter 2012-03-31 17:17:57)

Khader Khan wrote:
Hunter wrote:

TL DR;

Put Espitium back in T1 items.

Hunter Espit was removed because alot of indy toons were qq'ing that T1 items that required it were pointless to produce because it was cheaper and easier to just farm them off of 1st starsand repair then to worry about either mining Epi or recycling the item. Granted this was pre-repair/recycle patch but Still makes sense plus didn't plasma get a boost when they killed the Espit out of T1 items?

Are we going back to when you were crusading for all T1 items to be removed from npcs? So that they only dropped T0 flawed?

1) It was reasonable until briochit introducing.
2) Of course miners qq because they have not enough billion nics.

P.S. Seems that you skip the section with NPC market. Yes espitium theme is old and simple. We have miners, who don't want competition in rare materials extraction. Also we have money accumulation now. What is better?..

Why the crybabies wins?

put epi back in T1, make mining give me plasma and kernels.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

fuuu MONEY Y U NO MOVE!?

- reactor plasma can be used as reactor fuel with PBS coming instead of prilumium etc

- NIC can be convertable to tokens, so with more Syndicate shop goods that may be a good thing

- plex

Thats on first look. Changing t1 to t0 and back and add rare materials etc - wait till new blog coming out - I'm pretty sure it will change alots so better to not waste priceless time rebalancing stuff.

IMO, the main "strike" in those changes was reducing of kernel droprate. With current dynamic spawn system it's hard as hell to complete the tech tree, even with observers and beacons.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

with the upcomming indu2.0 patch, this topic is obsolete

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Hunter 2012-04-01 03:50:05)

Annihilator wrote:

with the upcomming indu2.0 patch, this topic is obsolete

will see.

once again: Money in the game is a different thing. Money extracts like titanium. But its not disappears in the combat. I'm pretty sure that nothing will change.

But i hope that DeV's read this topic and will take measures.

Why the crybabies wins?

8 (edited by Inda 2012-04-01 12:52:07)

Hunter as I understand you now after some question, answer.

What you said, the miners can collect much more money what they lose.

There is 2 thing why I think you are wrong here.

1. As I know  the trader can make the most money the miner alone dont make so many money I think, just ask miners.

2. If you are in team and what you mine the team will make robots with that materials and when the team is going to go PVP they will lose robots and equipment.

There is 2 type of bots, there is 4 type of equipment, If some team can collect that many materials with they can equip to all fighters in team mk2 robot with T4 equip and they after dont lose material(money) they do it right and then they can fight, but still have a problem, because if they have 10 active person in team that is dosent matter (for eaxample: RG)

My example, I cant use T4 fit mk2 robot to lose If I go to pvp alone I need to use T1 because I cant manage out the better fittings because I have less money, And I am vet I do it wrong because I dont make some money, but if you want more money I know how can i reach more but mostly need 2 account for that and need trader what is need to WORK to make rich.

Yes I am not a miner but I am a "farmer" I farming NPC and then sell the plasma, that is not so difference what miners do, they go out and after some time they collect materials = MONEY. I collect plasma = money (+ some salable module and something).

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

Hunter as I understand you now after some question, answer.

What you said, the miners can collect much more money what they lose.

In the game there is no connection between the resources and money. You did not understand my point. Yes it's hard.

Why the crybabies wins?

10 (edited by Line 2012-04-02 10:19:30)

Things are made from resources and money. Things can be bought/sold for money. What makes you think that there is no connection?

Oh skrew that, I've got your point.

Your main error is - that there is NO ppl who mine only. Every miner have combat account or at least combat role. That means, there is NO miners swimming in money - they're spending it to equip their combat toons.

Another thing - there is almost NO single players without corporation.

One more - there is NO invulnerable bots - that means that every miner can be killed so he will need another bot with equip - and thats not that cheap.

Ofc, some miners can have billions of NIC (name at least one tho), but since they aren't that much and they (If they're PURE miners) don't buy anything but mining equipment - there is almost no (if any) influence on the market.

So I don't see any problem with money accumulation. If you see any - show them.

Not too sure if I get the OP issue with the need of more money changing hands or more NIC sinks. The only issue I see  is not a a design issue but a lack of players to fill niches in the economy. Obviously the lack of risk on alpha (observer removal) has had an impact on this NIC accumulation.

also since most item prices remain high on market for around the 70% profit on average with 10/10/10 efficiency producer its worth the effort to just build for your self if you can. If most items were sold at 10-20% profit or less then it might not be worth effort to build for some players, but no Market producer is going to sell  10%profit if you only selling a few items a week, so we just need more players.

RIP PERPETUUM

I think Hunter is talking with the PoV of a self-sufficent Corp, that has enough manpower and equip to do mining on alpha and beta, farming NPCs for kernel and plasma (= NIC). They also have finished research already and reached max standing + their own outpost where they dont need as much NIC as they gain from half an hour grinding NPCs.

It is a kind of design issue because your corp can be self-sufficient. Hopefully this will change with the announced Indu 2.0 patch and Gamma expansion.

Someone in IRC already said, you wont be able to mine all materials on one island only - and you wont get the missing stuff from the next alpha island.

For my part: i never have enough NIC. There is not much stuff i build on my own, i buy most things from player market. The design issue is just, that you never lose your equip to PvE on regular basis -> especially as miner.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

If players/corps want to get rich they will, not matter what design tweak you make, though I agree resources should be scattered unevenly throughout Nia to help money change hand the only problem in pvp areas where a large corp can make it almost impossible to get a particular resource everyone needs.

RIP PERPETUUM

Annihilator wrote:

that you never lose your equip to PvE on regular basis

I can't think of any type of farmer that would continue to farm if they lost equipment on a regular basis; unless it was highly profitable.

Most players won't scratch out a living in the dirt, meaning work for hours for a meager return, this is absolutely true after they're 'experienced' in the field; that goes for both miners and NPC farmers.

If a particular corp lock a specific ressource, without selling it at acceptable prices, it will create a situation where the whole server will ally against them. If they represent more than half the server, you have a bigger problem than ressource lockdown.

Arga wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

that you never lose your equip to PvE on regular basis

I can't think of any type of farmer that would continue to farm if they lost equipment on a regular basis; unless it was highly profitable.

Most players won't scratch out a living in the dirt, meaning work for hours for a meager return, this is absolutely true after they're 'experienced' in the field; that goes for both miners and NPC farmers.

That's true, though if there are risks, rewards will reflect that on a player run economy, so that should cover for your losses. The only issue is the market with such so few players will take a while or not at all to show a reasonable reward.

RIP PERPETUUM

Cobalt wrote:

If a particular corp lock a specific ressource, without selling it at acceptable prices, it will create a situation where the whole server will ally against them. If they represent more than half the server, you have a bigger problem than ressource lockdown.

wow - would that be reason to pvp that is not based upon "i want to destroy the fun of the other player"?

AFAIK the Indu 2.0 patch is about enabling such situations, without a resulting inability of the whole server to build heavy mechs and every T4 , as it would be if someone had the ability to lock down a single resource eg. epriton.
Or imagine someone had the power to lock down Titan ore under the current Component-distribution in equip.

Arga wrote:

Its the main difference between PvE and PvP. Even in Themepark-games like WoW you have to calculate in to die in your farming Raid. You wont lose all your equip there, but you have to repair it for gold-> and those games still have *** of player that Perpetuum has not...

Annihilator wrote:

Even in Themepark-games like WoW you have to calculate in to die in your farming Raid. You wont lose all your equip there, but you have to repair it for gold-> and those games still have *** of player that Perpetuum has not...

In wow, once we considered content on farm, we didn't wipe on every boss, so there was little to no gold costs. If we did wipe, it was because we made a stupid mistake, if we wiped twice because of the same player, we replaced him. Note, your specifically talking about farming raids, not about progression. What you really lose when you wipe to farming, is time, and the same goes for Perpetuum. Raids reset on Tuesday and most guilds raid 3 nights a week for a couple hours in farming mode. It used to take 15-20 minutes to reset after wipe, its probably a little less now with mass rez, but that's about the time of 1 boss fight. So wiping meant you had to either go long for the night, or skip a boss.

19 (edited by Hunter 2012-04-03 03:16:07)

Look:
1) Hunter killed NPC and picked up some plazma. After that he sold it and earned ~1 000 000 NICs. - Money appeared.
2) Some part will be spent for ammo. Main part spent for robot or equipment. Who will get money for it? Producer. ~950 000 NICs transfered to industrial sector.
3) Producer bought some resourses on market. Resourses on market provides miners. Of course some parts stay on the producer's account. ~750 000 NICs transfered to miner's account.
4) Miner earned some money for resourses and going to buy something. Moving to point №2.

Result: Even if miner or hunter lost his bot (Actually no matter who and what lost) - He not spend his money to nowhere. Main point in that: money walks between accounts without exit by circle. In same time Hunters shoots more plazma and provides more money.

Why the crybabies wins?

Yes, but miners doesn't use these money, they just have them, and when they got their Riveller mk2 with full T4 (or whatever) equip and got all the extensions and sparks they need - they simply have nowhere to spend their money except they have combat toon. As a result they will have no reason to mine for money and stop mining in one or another way. Another thing - there is almost no single miners - that means that money are going to corporations mostly, not to miners. And corporations prolly have where to spend them - taxes, kernels, production, etc. Thats even more correct because more than a half of corps atm are communists.

So as you can see, there is no problem with money exit. Anyway, only thing we can have - is to get an additional ways to spend them - no need to touch anything current, just add new stuff - plex, converting NIC to tokens or using plasma as a fuel to reactors.

Miners now become the bankers of perpetuum!

i wonder what fat rich miner will make the First in game bank tongue

Or with PBS coming out the first Investment group big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

22 (edited by Goffer 2012-04-04 07:14:35)

A Miner will get 2-3 MNIC/h on alpha and with actual Epi price ~10 MNIC/h on beta. This is clearly below the sum a good PVEler get on loot in the same time. I guess if you compare a 6 week old char without ability to drive HM, there will the Miner get more money than the PVE Char, but later on I see more income with fighting NPCs

Actually it doesnt matter how much NIC/h you make with any char...

as long as there is no real NIC-Sink implemented, the NIC will accumulate somewhere. Thats probably what Hunter wants to say.

If youre only going out to mine, sell your ore on market and upgrade your equip, you will hit the point (sitting in a MK2 Riveler fully T4 fit) where your only outcome is the factory fee for building your Mining ammo and field-container.

All real NIC-sinks ingame are PvP related: Walls + Wall-equip, Bombs, Inter-island Teleports.

Even if you buy something from a player - then your NIC just has moved from your agent to the other one, it wasn't removed from the system.

Annihilator wrote:

as long as there is no real NIC-Sink implemented, the NIC will accumulate somewhere. Thats probably what Hunter wants to say.

If youre only going out to mine, sell your ore on market and upgrade your equip, you will hit the point (sitting in a MK2 Riveler fully T4 fit) where your only outcome is the factory fee for building your Mining ammo and field-container.

All real NIC-sinks ingame are PvP related: Walls + Wall-equip, Bombs, Inter-island Teleports.

Even if you buy something from a player - then your NIC just has moved from your agent to the other one, it wasn't removed from the system.

Right.

Why the crybabies wins?

25 (edited by Celebro 2012-04-04 16:54:38)

Hunter wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Right.

I what's the problem exactly with NIC accumulation , I don't really see a big issue with that.

Edit: PVE and Mining, money in/PVP, money out (from your wallet not game) that's how it works, nothing new here even for other MMOs it's all the same. If you don't like PVP, NIC accumulation is obvious.

RIP PERPETUUM