Re: An idea to scrap Intrusions

Ville wrote:

He sounds mad.  Bro.

I am also mad when i see that type of construction here sad

Like roadway construction?   Those guys piss me off on a daily basis.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I like the idea and mechanics look interesting but devs should not put any more work into beta. Right now, things are very low scale because of the population and therefore, really hard to see what is going to happen when more people show up and want beta access.

What if the as the attackers you had construct a Massive Bomb that would destroy the outpost if it was not destroyed or turned off in a "X" time period by the defending corp.  say like 24 hours or so could not ninja it at night or some random time.

If the bomb is destroyed or defused then defenders keep the outpost.

If goes off then you have to rebuild the outpost by bring supplies from the SAP locations.  First Corp bring the outpost 100% gets it.

a lot I left open but I think this would get action started over outpost.

The real problem lie in the fact that many "so called sandbox" players consider sandbox as a synonym of:

*hardcore pvp
*full loot ffa
*more generally griefer and rpk heaven....

You guys are totally wrong. Sandbox is not that. Some are arguing they dont want their game to become a Wowlike, that why you see go back to wow/swtor/whatever "themepark" game.

A TRUE sandbox can exist without a single pvp option, only pve. Again the balance between creation and destruction is off in this game and other so called sandboxes.

What majority of "so called carebears" wants is NOT being held by the hand and taught what to do like in a themepark game. They want to CREATE something, be it robots, structures, empires, wars, a STORY.  They would accept the fact that all they build can be destructed, if only the ONLY purpose of the majority of players was not ONLY destroy their stuff, for no particular reason.

Some like to build, some like to destroy. Its in the big scheme of sandbox mmos. But the truth is the "creators" get bored if what they do has no meaning except be a target or a "prey" as some like to say.

The peoples that say "advertise the game!!!" so we have many players. You guys are completely wrong. We had at a time a good 800 concurrent players at peak. Where are they?

The real problem is that the interesting zones of the game aka beta, where everything can and will happen, are empty. And the alpha is made less and less attractive in comparison, to protect the "risk VS reward" that some like to defend.  So the alpha dwellers are less and less, and a new player see an empty world ect...

So i will just say this for the "hardcore pvp crowd"  REMOVE THE *** OF YOUR EYES!!

The games dying, no PBS can save it if a fresh and positive base of "carebears" cant feel happy and participating actively in the STORY of the sandbox.  Mining or farming in poor alpha ressources is not enough.

What will happen with PBS guys? We all know it, certain peoples already said what they will do: GRIEF.  All they can, because thats how they enjoy the videogames. Who will build them? Not much, the strongest of the strongest.

Nobody asks himself why theres a new corp made of many strong and known old vets appearing? (eHarm)  IMO its a very very bad sign for the current playerbase health, understand who can.

I 2.0 is not an 'alarm clock' intrusion system. I 1.0 was, where the intrusions happened every 3 days, and you had to defend each one or lose the outpost. However, there really was no penalty for losing the outpost since you couldn't get locked out or prevent your enemies from docking. A strong alliance would prevent the intruder from actually using the Island, and then drive them out at the next Intrusion that fell in the proper time zone. It took a couple of months for corps/alliances to figure that out, at which point the large intrusion battles and alarm clocking basically stopped.

Currently, the issue with intrusions is simply that corporations strong enough to take and keep an outpost, already have one (or more). While there's incetive to attack other corps SAP's to generate PVP, actually reducing the outpost to 0 and then defending it up to 50% to lock them out is tedious; with no actual reward other than having one more set of SAP's to defend.

Any change of outpost retention mechanics will have similar issues, defending will always be boring.

The paradigm shift here will be with the introduction of the Gamma outposts. What really needs to change however, is the 'why' of owning an outpost and not the 'how', especially one that is destructable.

If gamma weren't being released, I would support some kind of change to both the "how" and the "why" for beta outposts, but really the focus of PVP will shift to gamma, especially for attackers because even with the little we know now, there are incetives to attack; destruction of property and possibly main terminal loot.

The issues brought up with gamma so far, at least by me, focus on the fact that you can't alarm-clock defend if there are not timer based defense mechanisms. And while not having alarm-clock defense sounds great, without timers you end up with a 24/7 Call To Arms type defense.

tl-dr; Gamma is going to drastically change PVP, how players use the current beta outposts will change, so suggestions to modify beta now could be totally irrelevant after the expansion.

Everx wrote:

What if the as the attackers you had construct a Massive Bomb that would destroy the outpost if it was not destroyed or turned off in a "X" time period by the defending corp.  say like 24 hours or so could not ninja it at night or some random time.

If goes off then you have to rebuild the outpost by bring supplies from the SAP locations.  First Corp bring the outpost 100% gets it.

TERRORIST WINS!  Flashes across 250 screens.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Arga wrote:

I 2.0 is not an 'alarm clock' intrusion system. I 1.0 was, where the intrusions happened every 3 days, and you had to defend each one or lose the outpost. However, there really was no penalty for losing the outpost since you couldn't get locked out or prevent your enemies from docking. A strong alliance would prevent the intruder from actually using the Island, and then drive them out at the next Intrusion that fell in the proper time zone. It took a couple of months for corps/alliances to figure that out, at which point the large intrusion battles and alarm clocking basically stopped.

Currently, the issue with intrusions is simply that corporations strong enough to take and keep an outpost, already have one (or more). While there's incetive to attack other corps SAP's to generate PVP, actually reducing the outpost to 0 and then defending it up to 50% to lock them out is tedious; with no actual reward other than having one more set of SAP's to defend.

Any change of outpost retention mechanics will have similar issues, defending will always be boring.

The paradigm shift here will be with the introduction of the Gamma outposts. What really needs to change however, is the 'why' of owning an outpost and not the 'how', especially one that is destructable.

If gamma weren't being released, I would support some kind of change to both the "how" and the "why" for beta outposts, but really the focus of PVP will shift to gamma, especially for attackers because even with the little we know now, there are incetives to attack; destruction of property and possibly main terminal loot.

The issues brought up with gamma so far, at least by me, focus on the fact that you can't alarm-clock defend if there are not timer based defense mechanisms. And while not having alarm-clock defense sounds great, without timers you end up with a 24/7 Call To Arms type defense.

tl-dr; Gamma is going to drastically change PVP, how players use the current beta outposts will change, so suggestions to modify beta now could be totally irrelevant after the expansion.

So maybe my idea would be better suited for gamma islands then beta ?

Everx wrote:

There's already a lot of information on how gamma outpost defense is going to work, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with this type of mechanism, but it doesn't seem like the direction the devs are likely to go.

Still think this is a bad idea.

36 (edited by eFlame 2012-03-17 09:24:59)

Saps need to be scattered throughout out the island with 12 on each island. Active saps change every hour, the open sap closes if not completed and one sap randomly opens up elsewhere on the island there is no way of knowing that a specific sap is open unless you actively roam the island visiting each one or each sector.

to get a can from the sap it has to be completed (ie no sit for an hour to get a can anymore). Sap Cans no longer drop loot instead they drop island specific terminal stability tokens. a terminal's stability can be decreased by depositing the tokens into a station stability terminal (attack) or similarly can be increased by droping tokens into a terminal stability terminal (defence). the terminals are similar to those you find in missions requiring you to drop an item in to fulfil an objective. however there is a limit at how much a terminal can be increased / decreased within a 24 hour period, per direction eg. it can be increased by 25 and decreased by 25 withing a 24hours period based on a timer rather than server time.

The tokens can also be turned in for packages (similar to the Aids over the christmas period) there would be different tiered packages requiring more tokens with better loot the hire the tier. The packages would also be themed eg. "Industrial" would contain a random allocation of ores / Industrial mods, "Scientific" would contain CTs (which might including possibly a ct for probes / walls / wall maint. ) and or Kernals, "Mobility" might contain  a random selection of teleporters , "Weapons" have weapon mods, "Armour" has armour mods, Engineering has engineering mods etc.

These packages would be obtainable from any syndicate store of the same colour as the island the token was recieved from (eg. Alsbale and Norhoop stability tokens can be turned in at any alsbale / norhoop terminal / outpost but also at NV and Hersh Outposts and terminals)

+1 to the OP for making a suggestion of how to improve intrusions although i don't like the merging of pvp and Pve on beta. maybe that is an idea for gamma instead?

eFlame wrote:

Saps need to be scattered throughout out the island with 12 on each island. Active saps change every hour, the open sap closes if not completed and one sap randomly opens up elsewhere on the island there is no way of knowing that a specific sap is open unless you actively roam the island visiting each one or each sector.

to get a can from the sap it has to be completed (ie no sit for an hour to get a can anymore). Sap Cans no longer drop loot instead they drop island specific terminal stability tokens. a terminal's stability can be decreased by depositing the tokens into a station stability terminal (attack) or similarly can be increased by droping tokens into a terminal stability terminal (defence). the terminals are similar to those you find in missions requiring you to drop an item in to fulfil an objective. however there is a limit at how much a terminal can be increased / decreased within a 24 hour period, per direction eg. it can be increased by 25 and decreased by 25 withing a 24hours period based on a timer rather than server time.

The tokens can also be turned in for packages (similar to the Aids over the christmas period) there would be different tiered packages requiring more tokens with better loot the hire the tier. The packages would also be themed eg. "Industrial" would contain a random allocation of ores / Industrial mods, "Scientific" would contain CTs (which might including possibly a ct for probes / walls / wall maint. ) and or Kernals, "Mobility" might contain  a random selection of teleporters , "Weapons" have weapon mods, "Armour" has armour mods, Engineering has engineering mods etc.

These packages would be obtainable from any syndicate store of the same colour as the island the token was recieved from (eg. Alsbale and Norhoop stability tokens can be turned in at any alsbale / norhoop terminal / outpost but also at NV and Hersh Outposts and terminals)

i like this idea.. makes you as an attacker chose do you want the loot or attack the outposts stability. And as a defender it lets you actually do something.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

SAPs changed from about every 3 days, to about every 10 hours, this would move it to every hour.

I'm not sure faster SAPs, even with a token system, is the answer to making outpost owners more active on their islands.

The issue will always be the same, changing the mechanic isn't going to help. If the defender doesn't have the players online to counter the attacker, they won't undock. If that means they can't keep an outpost, then they'll lose it, but with beta outposts, there's no game mechanic that will 'force' players to come out to play.

What needs to happen, is the formation of larger corps, either by consolidation or introduction of a large number of new players, and of course, an actual 'reason' to hold a beta outpost.

Arga - we talked a long time yesterday.

The reason to hold a beta outpost should be "because i would have no other home to dock without owning one - because my pvp forces playstyle has such consequences"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

We did indeed anni, but even fixing the 'reason' to hold an outpost won't make the reality of holding one change.

Our discussion also touched on the population, distribution of players, and the concept of a 'corporation'.

In many aspects, its much too easy to create a corporation. Fundamentally there's a difference between a 50 player corporation and 50 player alliance of (5) corporations.

Having our player resources divided amoung too many corporations is weakening the game. The arguement could be made that many corps promotes smaller PVP play, and while that may be true to some extent, there also needs to be large (measured in active players) 'anchor' corps.

There's no costs associated with creating a corp, the folder costs are minimal, and wholly optional. There's also no lower limit to how many players a corp can have.

With a greater population, having more corps provides diversity and options. With a low server population, too many corps dilutes the available manpower.

I certainly am not promoting a situation where there are only 5 or 6 player corps on the whole server, or trying to artificically create 500 man corps, as small corps certainly have niches to fill also. But, looking forward to the next expansion of Gamma islands, we're already looking at trying to game around smaller corps with defenses to cover short-falls. Even alliances, with numerous small corps, will still have a lot of trouble taking advantage of the expansion.

There's also the danger of any single corp becoming too large of course, but at this point it seems less of an issue then dilution.

Arga wrote:

What needs to happen, is the formation of larger corps, either by consolidation or introduction of a large number of new players.

Arga wrote:

Having our player resources divided amoung too many corporations is weakening the game.... there also needs to be large (measured in active players) 'anchor' corps.

With a greater population, having more corps provides diversity and options. With a low server population, too many corps dilutes the available manpower.

There's also the danger of any single corp becoming too large of course, but at this point it seems less of an issue then dilution.

Its not the signal that was sent looking at the "Novablob case". So much hate on so called "blobbing" by small roamers and pirates that had an edge on forum whining etc...

Having strong powerblocks with small population, even only 2, would have been better than "dilution".
Better have action and good pvp than intricate politics, if you need to choose between the two imo.

The issue about sandbox mmos is it almost never plays out the way it's favourable to the game play, specially with such a small player base.

Back on topic now ,and the reason I came up with this idea, is that gamma will most likely take the reign on territorial warfare, my idea for the  Pve aspect is to make it somewhat a complete different system to gamma with some changes form my original idea it would just entail gaining faction standings  to gain access to OP and all it's facilities using current stability system, with no mechanic for the 'enemy' to take over. Somewhat similar to faction null sec in stEVE.

RIP PERPETUUM

Arga wrote:

SAPs changed from about every 3 days, to about every 10 hours, this would move it to every hour.

I'm not sure faster SAPs, even with a token system, is the answer to making outpost owners more active on their islands.

And the current system is working like a charm? at least my counter idea means that the terminal owner has to actively roam their island to secure sap tokens to be used to keep their stability up not undock once every 10 hours for sap defence.

Arga wrote:

The issue will always be the same, changing the mechanic isn't going to help. If the defender doesn't have the players online to counter the attacker, they won't undock. If that means they can't keep an outpost, then they'll lose it, but with beta outposts, there's no game mechanic that will 'force' players to come out to play.

What needs to happen, is the formation of larger corps, either by consolidation or introduction of a large number of new players, and of course, an actual 'reason' to hold a beta outpost.

and Large corps / alliances worked so well before....? 2 big power blocks equal 1 line of conflict the more power blocks their are the more lines of conflict their are. Also my concept is built on the idea of patrolling your island for its defence not undock to defend saps 3 k from terminal and stay docked if you have no chance. You can't patrol your island if you don't undock first. Once your undocked and roaming it is a bit hard to jump back in to terminal if you come across another roaming gang which outnumbers you.

My counter idea is also meant to promote alpha based corps roaming beta island islands for the loot rather than for the terminals. This would create more targets on beta. currently saps are fairly limited to those than want to live in a terminal or those that want to deny a terminal. But as always things never work out as intended in these games and my counter idea could fail the same as anyone else's but you have to start somewhere and the current system is a bore just look at station stability being 100 a majority of the time and the free loot every 10 hours when no one can be bothered to turn up to attack. I believe this was not the intention.

eFlame wrote:

Also my concept is built on the idea of patrolling your island for its defence not undock to defend saps 3 k from terminal and stay docked if you have no chance. You can't patrol your island if you don't undock first. Once your undocked and roaming it is a bit hard to jump back in to terminal if you come across another roaming gang which outnumbers you.

Again, simply changing mechanics can't generate players out of thin-air to undock to do this 'patrolling'.

It's simple PVP math.

If I have enough power (players/experience/equipment) to counter the attacking threat, then we'll undock and defend. If not, there's no reason to undock, because we'll lose the bots/modules AND STILL lose the SAP. If we're out 'patrolling' and an overwhelming force shows up, then we'll make for the outpost, because again throwing away bots and still losing the sap makes no sense.

The only 'winner' here are the attackers, if they have a blob, that either get the SAP's without a fight or get a lot of free kills AND the SAPs.

Give us reasons that actually go deeper then just trash talk and it will work no matter if it's Intrusion 1.0 or any other version. Currently the issue is not about beta island terminal mechanics, its the reason of low pop+no need to fight.

Burial wrote:

Give us reasons that actually go deeper then just trash talk and it will work no matter if it's Intrusion 1.0 or any other version. Currently the issue is not about beta island terminal mechanics, its the reason of low pop+no need to fight.

I don't think its 'no need to fight', my impression is that many players WANT to fight, it's simply that the small active player bases of each corporation doesn't provide enough man-power to accomplish it.

All this talk about changing mechanics is simply entertainment at this point, with no real value. The game keeps pushing toward small scale pvp, which is all well and good, but there's also much less ... "margin of error"?? in group sizes. By this I mean, if groups of 6 are out roaming, and there is a (5) player difference, that's significant (1 vs 6 or 6 vs 11), but if the relative group size is 25 then with +/- 5 either side still has a fighting chance.

I'm not promoting the need for groups of 1000, but the mindset here for 'small' needs to shift from under 10 to around 50 being 'small'.

47 (edited by Celebro 2012-03-21 20:50:58)

Arga wrote:

I'm not promoting the need for groups of 1000, but the mindset here for 'small' needs to shift from under 10 to around 50 being 'small'.

I not sure about the mindset for 'small' here. What makes you think DEVs/Players want small scale PVP?. Small scale is what we get with such a small playerbase it's inevitable. Players might like their own small independent corps, but that does not equate to to disliking large battles. Maybe the problem here is the lack of alliance features which should have already been introduced.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

alliance features

There are enough players to form bigger battles, they're just spread out over 50 corps 'doing their own thing'.

Alliances of 'many' small corps are doomed to fail, because thier all still going to be doing thier own thing, just in an alliance that doesn't operate.

Or when it does operate, the whole server scream for blob, griefing and grinding others "out of the game". You all perfectly know what im talking about.  I have been enough called the "little pet" of some others to know perfectly on what gamers rely when they get banged ingame...

Arga i respect you cause i think you have somehow a wise vision of the game in its whole. What makes me laugh is now peoples realizing they killed the pvp and war "momentum" with forum whines, funky petitions etc...

Which players are still there? The cream of the cream....  Wonder what cream we are talking about roll

Cobalt wrote:

Which players are still there? The cream of the cream....  Wonder what cream we are talking about roll

A self-quote from irc just awhile ago:

"that's kind of the problem, when players 'evaporate' the condensed material that is left is either high-grade, or just stubborn"

I wish I could provide more 'useful' insight, like turn widget 3 clicks left, on how/what devs could do to improve player retention and stimulate growth, but there's no silver bullet. I do know that many of the issues we currently face are 100% due to low participation (and dilution); most glaring as I pointed above is how delicate small (tiny) group pvp is.