Topic: OK, so I started the 14 day trial

While I am trying to figure out how to play this game, I am also trying to figure out what I want to do. Combat vs manufacturing. I like building things..But I also like blowing ..........umm Stuff, up with missiles. LOL
The game looks interesting. There seems like a lot to do and learn to keep one going for a time to come. But I haven't seen much going on in any chats. so, It hasn't felt very massively multiplayer to me yet. But, we will see, I imagine there isn't a lot going on in starter areas anymore. And that being in an alliance of some type would offer more of that.

Also, What is the scale of this game? I get in my bot and discover I stand face to face with dandelions.
are we piloting big massive mechs or little RC MicroMachines?

Re: OK, so I started the 14 day trial

there are several public channels in game that you should join .. many people are not in them tho as they mainly use corp chats and or TS/Vent. just hit the channel button on your chat box and look in there

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Plants are very big on Nia check the parameters on the information tab of the bot your piloting and it will say somewhere how tall it is. I think the Mesmer is like 6m tall, where as the seth is 6m round(poor chicken). Also alot of people are taking a breather silently awaiting the next patch which should be soon*^tm.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Good to have you aboard Joe Avg.

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

I have run the tutorials. I think I have the basc movements down. How to get from point A to point B (That's litterally..LOL) And how to shoot something. Are there resources that will help me decide how to invest my skills? What to buy? When to get a bigger bot? Etc etc? There is a lot to learn here and what "scares" me the most is what I don't know. I've played different types of MMOs before. If WoW is like like building with Duplo Lego Blocks, then this game feels like an Erector Set. LOL

there is much to learn and the tutorilas can only teach you the basics. even this forum will be way to small for all your questions that you have and even more for the answers for them. it is a complex game and thats one of the things a lot of ppl like. and besides that there is not always the thing "you have to do it this way". there are often more then one way to do things.

of cource there is combat in pvp and pve, or supporter roles. but there is also the industrial part with mining, processing, research and production. each of this is a hole area for itself. and most ppl who a re in this game for a few months and want do do different things at the same time have 2 or more accounts for that purpuse.

i would suggest that you look yourself for a corp. there are plenty out there who are willing to help you to get into the game. and voicecoms help a lot more then have to type all the stuff here.
there are corps in the most languages and time zones. so just check around in the recruitment forums or try the channels ingame. im sure this will help you a lot.

and welcome to the game.

Joe Avg wrote:

When to get a bigger bot?

This one trips up a lot of players.

Unlike leveling mmo's, progress in Perpetuum isn't linear from light bots to heavy mechs.

It's fairly quick to get Factional Robot Control to the point where you can undock in a mech, but your effectiveness in that bot is also dependant on a large number of other extensions.

The robot bonus's provide a significant amount of firepower and utility, assults and below use basic robotics to increase your bonus's, while mechs use Advanced, which effect small and medium weapons respectively.

It's very common to see players rush the EP into mechs, without any advanced extensions, then complain the mechs to LESS damage then thier assaults. Players also run into fitting issues as well as accumulator issues on the field.

There's nothing really wrong with choosing to focus on mechs instead of lights/assaults, it just takes longer before players can be effective in mechs, and realize that the progression path isn't just the (1) extension, but the whole package of advanced extensions.

Also note, that light ewar for PVP use basic robotics skills also, so even if players spend a little extra EP and time farming or playing in assaults, those EP aren't wasted.

Cheers.

very true what arga writes there.

to bad there are so few choices regarding robots (1 per faction and class). If there was more, i would have suggested raising the secondary extension requirements for mechs already long ago....

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think I get the point though. Just because I can drive a car, doesn't mean i am ready to handle a formula 1 at full speed.

Joe Avg wrote:

I think I get the point though. Just because I can drive a car, doesn't mean i am ready to handle a formula 1 at full speed.

Sure you can, just wear a helmet.  And prepare for the body cast.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I have to say, I am disappointed in the server side disconnects. This has been happening since I started my trial. I'd log in, everything is fine, and I am dropped and it repeats every few minutes. I have even started running broadband tests after each disconnect before logging back in. My connections are consistently 16-18 MS pings, 13-15 Mbps down and 9-12 Mbps up. And I have no other issues at all connecting to any other resource online. Disconnects happen. I kinda expect them from time to time, but in an Open PVP game, with the frequency this is occurring, this really is game breaking. sad

This is an example of the log.
[17:07:23] [sock] Socket error 10054 - (An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)

... i knew i have seen this error here before... Sadly, I don't know the outcome of that problem.

My advice would be to check out and post your problem and results here:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … isconnects
Theres also given a mailaddress in the first post to address issues like yours.

I went to that link, There are 3 full pages of posts on this DC issue and it also seems that it's been written up and documented fairly extensively. This issue also traces back to almost a year ago. I would have just added my findings to the thread, but unfortunately, that thread is closed so I can't post there.

I was going to sub to the game because it is fun when I can stay connected. But I just can't given the situation.I'm not raging, I don't think it's necessarily a bad reflection on the game. I understand this is an Indie game and with that, it's to be expected that there are things you have to deal with that are unacceptable in AAA titles. But this particular issue is just too big a deal. If I were in a real PVP fight...well, I think you get the point.

I'll check back in time, If there has been progress, I'll give another trail a spin. Until then, Good luck!!!!!

The Lag is still horrible.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.