Topic: The next Tournament Mechs and limits?

So after the reboot of the light bot tournament, and adding in some flavor with the assault racial tournament. I got more than a few requests to run a Mech tournament. With a Mech tournament I got requests for every thing from just T1 fit mk1 mechs to full blown mk2 no limits. I would like to get everyones opinion that would be willing to risk w/mechs and how they would go about it, right now I have around 5 options.
1. Mk1 T1 fit.
2. Mk1 No limit to fit
3. Mk1 with point system where each mod t1=1pt t2=2 ect 30 point max fit.
4. Mk2 no limit
5. Best of Race w/ no limit.

I spoke with Yoslin and we concluded that if you make a no limit to fit match 2-3 people will sign up and scare most of the other people away from signing on as they will think '$hit i can't beat him' (could need secrete sign up?). A few of the other people I spoke with think that the point system will be the best option as it will force you to fit to your style and play that way if each mech has 13 slots and you fit 4 t4 guns you only have 14 points left to 9 slots, a t4 frame and your down to 10 points for 8 slots looks like your gonna have some t1 in there.

OK people lets throw some ideas around and get this looking nice so I can throw this up on the events for the 17th/18th

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Re: The next Tournament Mechs and limits?

1. case T1 fit mk1 max

I dont want manage out more lost for Tournament. (And also cant)

T1 is nearly good, because this modules in their level is nearly the same as T4 (expect some module), the fitting is probably possible all of formations what you need in T1 also.

I am still on more assault tourney not mech, because mechs is 5th more NIC.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda you would like more assault matchs?

Also are there corps that are intrested in 3 vs 3 assaults I had that as a request too.

Khader you should consider making the assault AND mech tournament at the same time to attract max of peoples, cause everyone is skilled in basic OR advanced rob. That way everyone can be interested. In the same way, i think option 1 is the best, cause it force players without material limits to play on a even ground with poor ones, that could be attracted that way.

If the goal of this is attract max of peoples, do both in the same event with option 1 imo.

5 (edited by Lemon 2012-03-05 20:24:27)

For a Mech level tournament i would want a very balanced and proper venue. With out a balanced venue i for one would never bring a T4'ed out Mk 2 mech. I do have a few ideas to solve that issue as well.

As far as mechs go i feel there is a place for T1 mech battles and a place for No holds bar.

Every player has there personal style there are some of us who refuse to run anything sub T4 and for most of you who have experianced running T4 consistintly, you do gain a quite different feel for the game once you start running T4.

However despite some stating how expensive they are i can farm a Full T4 Mech mk 2 w/bot in just pure plasma in 2 hrs.

If we are going to be moving up i would also request we move it to beta as this whole Face hugging strat is quite a joke and i think we all can agree we would rather see players Fighting than platers and going hit for hit.

If/When it goes to beta i can pledge my self and my bot army to help prevent griefers.

If players are scared by the roster then they may be unable to keep pace with who is there, that should not be a deciding factor to if its run or not as it allows players to set goals to work from Assaults>Mech T1>Pro wink in the tournament.

As for small 3v3 im sure i can find the proper corps/players with sufficient time for a Low-EP bracket for new players.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

i would be in for Assault PvP, in both categories:
- free fit
- t1/2 fit only

(i need more training wink)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2012-03-05 23:57:26)

Until the Devs address the high skilled Tyrannos accum regen problem you may as not have the mech tourney as that is the only mech that will win small fights.

A highly skilled Mk1 t1 tyrannos pilot will even dominate highly skilled t4 Mk2 blue and red mechs.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

Mongolia Jones wrote:

Until the Devs address the high skilled Tyrannos accum regen problem you may as not have the mech tourney as that is the only mech that will win small fights.

A highly skilled Mk1 t1 tyrannos pilot will even dominate highly skilled t4 Mk2 blue and red mechs.

Determine at what point it breaks over a allowable limit and scan fits to manage it

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:
Mongolia Jones wrote:

Determine at what point it breaks over a allowable limit and scan fits to manage it

It's not a fit problem it's an extension problem.

A particular tyrannos fit can be okay/underpowered under one pilot and broken/overpowered with another.  The only way to "fix" it is to have players send a screen of their skills and then for you to ban them from that fit/bot while allowing others to play with it.  Also you have the conundrum of determining at what point is "x" overpowered or not.

Just talking about it is making me feel the mech tourney is already fail even before it starts.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

No-one is claiming everything is perfectly balanced, obviously some fits are better than others, some better in certain situations than others.

Clearly EP has a big impact too, but with the low and high brackets, that is at least mitigated.

But part of the tournament is to show what the best you can do is. If the top 4 or whatever are all running the same mechs with the same fits and similar EP, then we still get to see who is the best pilot, which is the point of the competition.

The point of the thread is to decide on what formats should be available, and in enough time for everyone to get their set-ups ready.

The T1 fit bracket is the most accessible and will discourage the least players, and anyone wanting to participate in a more open bracket should be able to bring a T1 mech along as well, so would be able to play in both.

As to what the more expensive brackets should be I like the point system the most. It removes the fear of running into an insanely expensive fit that has so much more spent on it that the competition comes down to who has the most resources to risk and not the best skills.

However I do think the open bracket will have a much smaller signup than the T1 so it is probably better to ask those that actually sign up which rules you will go with.

I was also thinking that some 2v2 in the light category could be quite interesting with a lot more variation and possibilities for fits.

I'm sure it would be possible with how few would sign up for the no holds bar mk2s to have a gentelmins rule about not bringing fits outside the normal bounds of balance.

Undefeated 2013

You do a tournament and I can probably come up with a tyrranos fit that can win it.
The tyrranos is quite OP for this 1v1 thing.
I'll still happily join I suppose.

Mongolia Jones wrote:

Ill Call that bluff

Undefeated 2013

Just use a point system like the DEVs used.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

@Grem Good call but i dont think we will get that big of a turn out w/ most of the games population really sitting in station and collecting ep, to do a full on corp vs corp type tourney.

Also I'm having trouble finding an area that will suit mechs my make shift area near galoly fits lights and assaults very well more range than that and i will need to get a bigger valley. Also as lemon said on alpha i'm negating the biggest opps factor of pvp being in AOE explosion.

There are some bowl like arenas on Shin, some of them quite large, but I am not entirely sure what your requirements are, I assume a mix of cover and size that would allow most fits the freedom to play their style.

i think grem meant using a point system expanded to equip-level, not only to robot class.

eg, tyrannos with shield = 4x as much points as an artemis with uniplates

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I personally would like to see a Fox Hunt type game.  Were a group of corps/alliance form a team of 5 players.  In light bots all T1 fit to chance after a random player who is running aT4 Velocity Nexus and a T4 frame cam.  The Idea was originally introduced to me from Phalanx in Morte, but in theory you goto one island introduce four team at the exterior teleports.  you then run the cam around like a fox you chase and kill it, and the last team standing or the first team who kills the fox, wins the purse.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27WA0phc6RE

fox hunt?

I still have sunday to plan an even I thought of something like that ville but I thought of making it more like ghost buster. A Masked e-war hides in hershfield and a few teams of lights chase him. Last team standing or first to kill the ghost win.