Re: Walls

Celebro wrote:

What the heck are they doing in Beta if they don't want to fight? Go back to alpha that's the no PVP zone that was made specifically for those that want to avoid PVP ,which is fine. Right now beta is just consensual PVP with the walls.

More to the point, why are they even playing Perp?

27 (edited by Celebro 2012-03-06 21:19:54)

Arga wrote:
Celebro wrote:

What the heck are they doing in Beta if they don't want to fight? Go back to alpha that's the no PVP zone that was made specifically for those that want to avoid PVP ,which is fine. Right now beta is just consensual PVP with the walls.

More to the point, why are they even playing Perp?

I really don't know, but alpha seems ideal, maybe they forgot the warning message when they first jumped into beta.
PVP zones are not for everyone (and it's fine by me). I must admit I sometimes like to avoid PVP, but what I do is, I open the map and look for an island name that's not underlined. Economic power to buy protection for example is fine, but not with walls, you build alliances or contract a mercenary Corp.

The way this sandbox is setup is to make PVP the focus point of the game, the industrial 'machinery' is just a means to an end. One will not work without the other, but you can personally choose the preference.

Edit: To conclude; if there are players out there that want to try beta and turn it into a semi-safe zone then they must feel they are missing out on beta or there is a huge gap in wealth/fun between alpha-beta, that would need to be addressed.

RIP PERPETUUM

28 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-06 21:45:38)

You still will be able to access the recources 3000m around your outpost in near complete safety. Should you choose to venture out you must rely on terrain, fitting, probes, and eyes to protect you.

This should make some outposts more desirable than others for their safe resources / spawns around them.

Yes wall brought people to beta, but only to do the same thing they could already do on alpha. Beta island rewards are balanced around risk. Take away nearly all the risk, you either have to take away the reward and make it a safe island or put it back to an unsafe place that can be very lucrative.

I don't want the entire game to play like it does on alpha.

If people wan't to build safe havens for industry, they should ally/hire some powerful military forces.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Wikipedia wrote:

A defensive wall is a fortification used to protect a city or settlement from potential aggressors. In ancient to modern times, they were used to enclose settlements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decline

In the wake of city growth and the ensuing change of defensive strategy, focusing more on the defense of forts around cities, most city walls were demolished. Also, the invention of gunpowder rendered walls less effective, as siege cannons could then be used to blast through walls, allowing armies to simply walk through.

We are way ahead of gunpowder, walls add nothing to gameplay, but if AV insists, I still support the changes with a 3k limit makes much more sense as defensive walls are there to enclose settlements(except in rare cases), and makes much more sense in gamma than beta.

RIP PERPETUUM

Arga wrote:

Tl;dr - I want to play "this way", anything that stops me is OP.

Hrmmm reminds me of over nerfing ERP's due to the "Player Element" being unable to hold there fire while the target is being neuted.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

roll I am beginning to move away from the emotion of frustration, and really hope that the core base of players in Perp dies with the game.

I have never seen such a group of players so quick to take a great post and toss in troll digs to each other.  As GREAT as PERP COULD be, I am starting to think that the scum that has attached itself to the "beta Perp" that is will prevent it from really getting good.  You guys are pathetic.  If you want this potentially awesome game to grow and get a direction, stop your jabs and focus on being insightful for this obviously confused and immature group of developers.

This game needs its players to be as focused as the devs need to be just to survive.  Grow up and give good feedback if you even want this thing to live!

Takeo Prime wrote:

really hope that the core base of players in Perp dies with the game

Wishing peoples death about a game is really, really mature yes. Show us the right path mature one.

Takeo Prime wrote:

obviously confused and immature group of developers.

I know who you are Takeo. The one that criticize but never did something with his life?

33 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-08 19:37:38)

Walls were introduced before the game was ready/big enough to support them, they got adjusted accordingly. People went overboard with walls considering the size of the gameworld, locking out plenty of players from using / experiencing beta. The game is tiny already, walls only served to make it even smaller.

When gamma is added, this won't be a problem. Those who can't see this are too caught up in their own agendas to look around and see what is going on within the game after walls were added. I don't care if this was caused by walls themselves or the majority of players perception of walls, it is now clear to me that that ammount of sandbox freedom should only be possible when gamma is added. Anyways, Very soon no one will care about walls anymore and will be teraforming to their hearts content on gamma, not interfering with players who want to explore / experience the beta islands.

Walls in concept when Gamma is added: Good idea
Walls in context of the current game size / island setup: Bad idea

Im supprised people are even still discussing this.

sundial - after two weeks gamma, you will write exactly the same - that the game was not ready for it yet.

they should open up another planet for those who want to sandbox, and leave the instant-pvp carebears on nia wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

35 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-08 20:51:31)

Annihilator wrote:

sundial - after two weeks gamma, you will write exactly the same - that the game was not ready for it yet.

they should open up another planet for those who want to sandbox, and leave the instant-pvp carebears on nia wink

Yeah, they should call it gamma. That would be great wink

The problem with doing it on beta is players were taking all the sand for themselves and not sharing it with anyone else. There wasn't enough sand to do this.

When gamma is added, there will be.

I guarantee you I will not QQ about freedoms in gamma.

Cobalt wrote:
Takeo Prime wrote:

Wishing peoples death about a game is really, really mature yes. Show us the right path mature one.

Takeo Prime wrote:

I know who you are Takeo. The one that criticize but never did something with his life?

Ok Cobalt, i will bite on your personal troll, but you are just the kind of person I was talking about.

I am 43, built a multi-million dollar personal sales business, have no personal rl enemies, lots of rl friends, play for fun because i can, and have posted many ideas that are both constructive and that praise the games potential (feel free to search them).  Just wish guys would stop taking areas to post ideas for helping the game along and make personal troll attacks.  I will stand behind the last 6 months of development stop/start/reverse/drop in too soon pattern to justify that the devs are not evil, just not displaying foresight or maturity on how others will act.  Prove me wrong.  The game still has a chance but we can just do the ostrich and put our heads in the sand while we toss attacks at each other, but I don't think that will improve anything.

Nice try though.

Takeo Prime wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
Takeo Prime wrote:

Takeo Prime wrote:

Ok Cobalt, i will bite on your personal troll, but you are just the kind of person I was talking about.

I am 43, built a multi-million dollar personal sales business, have no personal rl enemies, lots of rl friends, play for fun because i can, and have posted many ideas that are both constructive and that praise the games potential (feel free to search them).  Just wish guys would stop taking areas to post ideas for helping the game along and make personal troll attacks.  I will stand behind the last 6 months of development stop/start/reverse/drop in too soon pattern to justify that the devs are not evil, just not displaying foresight or maturity on how others will act.  Prove me wrong.  The game still has a chance but we can just do the ostrich and put our heads in the sand while we toss attacks at each other, but I don't think that will improve anything.

Nice try though.

I would Prove you wrong but someone keeps removing my posts...

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Sundial wrote:

Walls were introduced before the game was ready/big enough to support them, they got adjusted accordingly. People went overboard with walls considering the size of the gameworld, locking out plenty of players from using / experiencing beta. The game is tiny already, walls only served to make it even smaller.

When gamma is added, this won't be a problem.

Well, when someone comes on my Gamma island they will not see a wall, they will see...

The Cliffs of Insanity!!!

Sundial wrote:

Very soon no one will care about walls anymore and will be teraforming to their hearts content on gamma, not interfering with players who want to explore / experience the beta islands.

You're absolutely right. No one will care about walls anymore. And I doubt anyone will care about Beta Islands either. But if you didn't think the game was ready for walls I can't imagine you think it's ready for Teraforming. I guess you anticipate getting lots and lots and lots of Gamma islands. I hope so, but I'm certainly not convinced all that space will stop the controversy that will ensue...

Still, I'm looking forward to the ride.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

Well, when someone comes on my Gamma island they will not see a wall, they will see...

The Cliffs of Insanity!!!

wrong, you will see a slight bump or groove around your teleporter, just high/deep enough to make it impassable terrain - and that all around the entry teleporters.

The ones who want to build a PBS on that island will teleport lots of scarabs to that island before closing the last gap and then cover the gates with snipers from any1 bringing a terraformer into position, until they got their base built with defense online.

proxies in walls? who cares about those: proxies burried in a hole ftw!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

40 (edited by Gremrod 2012-03-10 18:19:31)

So I make my way to a gamma island and find an outpost with everyone fast asleep in their TZ. Can I TF  on, in, around it?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

41 (edited by Syrissa 2012-03-10 19:51:40)

Gremrod wrote:

So I make my way to a gamma island and find an outpost with everyone fast asleep in their TZ. Can I TF  on, in, around it?

in the blog its said that you may need to terraform to get a suitable place for a outpost. so terraforming can not be bound to outposts

Syrissa wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

in the blog its said that you may need to terraform to get a suitable place for a outpost. so terraforming can not be bound to outposts

True. But that doesn't mean once the outpost is up that there isn't some restriction. Not saying there should be. Just asking to find out if there are said restrictions.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23