1 (edited by eFlame 2012-03-05 15:54:16)

Topic: Lag Lines

http://youtu.be/Ij4GCyA9jN4

This video was taken while travelling along one of the lines which trigger the server to send information about the terrain (at least that is my understanding of what the lines are). Best watch it in full screen so you can see the text. The ping on the side is there as a baseline to compare performance against ping and hopefully show that it is not a networking issue. The "openprofiler" window isn't too good in that video. I will post a better video showing the openprofiler>network window and map soon.

I would ask you to go hunting and look for these lines. You can find them by looking at the map. look at the big squares created by the grid system, then draw a line vertically and horizontally through the middle of the square. the border of the big square and the lines in the middle are what i refer to as lag lines. Go back and forth over them and see if you get a lag spike or N/A Lag. If you see what I am seeing then can you +1 this post. could you also include the country you are playing in so that network routing etc. issues can be eliminated / more effectively investigated.

The reason I see this issue as being of high importance is not simply cause it is killing my ( and others) experience as every time I hit the line I have to stop for ~10 seconds to let everything catch up but I see that this will only get worse as PBS increases, if it is not addressed early on. I also think it is responsible for old problems in the game such as lag on highways etc. because the faster you go the more often you will cross the lines.

New Video: http://youtu.be/N5t3i0J_Ra4

Re: Lag Lines

+1

I have lost a couple of MK2 Waspish to these figments of my imagination.  When PvP or NPCing and you cross a line it gets much worse and I have experienced NA lag that lasted well past my death sad

Alsbale is absolutely horrible.  I lag and  crash but when it comes to alsbale you better stay away from the disconnect zone.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Just in past week, it seems whenever I go to engage in combat (NPCs) i get huge lag spikes until i kill them.  I can hear my guns fire, but don't see the effect, I hear the bots explode, but don't see it, I hear them locking me, but they dont show up on my screen or landmarks until a few seconds later.

Sigh, just seems to be another major issue that most likely we will not get any response to.  Yet, they are spending time and effort on PBS???  Game is breaking down slowly but surely and they want to introduce even MORE things that will need tweaking and fixed??  I just don't get their silence and how they prioritize their time.

i have this problem as well... & no id dont live on alsbale

+1

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

+1

I spend most my time on shinjalar and Alsbale so far 1 day in seven has been playable.

Things that seem to give me NA is the first spawn leaving shin terminal going down the highway most times i cannot pass it due to NA lag, combat in pvp results in NA lag to then DC and this may take up to 30 secs to one minute of coarse instant death, doing NPC beacons is just as bad but i do not DC.

I'm in Australia with an average of 360 to 400 ms i now average 600 to 1200 has even gone to 22000 plus and it lasts for well over one minute some times which is basically NA

Minning there is no issue that is noticable

Another thing that has happened after last night server restart is coomplete black screen in my clients that were running fortunately mine only lasted a few seconds and then came back where as another player i know his clients just remained with a black screen but could still see radar chat channels and cargo contents along with anything that he opened in terminal

This really needs to be resolved asap getting tired of it already, also ty to those that have worked on finding things about this issue to try and help resovle the underlying causes much appreciated.

7 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-03-04 10:31:43)

a corp mate in the EU tested it & while he get 30 m/s normally ... when checking this out his ping would jump upto 180+ m/s..

Yet to see what happens with people in the US.

On average it seems to 4x - 5x you normal ping & if your a poor SOD with high avage ping then crossing 2 or more grid boundaries (like going across them on the corners) can give N/A & if you do this enough N/A spikes will last for 15 or more secs.

This problem is made worse the more people or NPCs near by

uptade: my Eu corp mate just retested this & was getting ping spikes of 800 m/s

So this isnt just something US high ping players can pick up but even people with pings of 40 m/s normally can have this happen when crossing grid lines.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

a corp mate in the EU tested it & while he get 30 m/s normally ... when checking this out his ping would jump upto 180+ m/s..

Yet to see what happens with people in the US.

On average it seems to 4x - 5x you normal ping & if your a poor SOD with high avage ping then crossing 2 or more grid boundaries (like going across them on the corners) can give N/A & if you do this enough N/A spikes will last for 15 or more secs.

This problem is made worse the more people or NPCs near by

uptade: my Eu corp mate just retested this & was getting ping spikes of 800 m/s

So this isnt just something US high ping players can pick up but even people with pings of 40 m/s normally can have this happen when crossing grid lines.

+1 Quoted For Truth.

When a player has 40ms latency and jumps to 180ms on the gridlines, it wouldn't hurt his/her overall playing experience. 180ms is still better than what we play with all the time.
When you have 400ms normally and it jumps to 2000ms on the gridlines or often to N/A, theres alot of thought of whether or not to even log in anymore. And I have seen players in the AU TZ not logging in because of this.

What would help, is for the Devs to acknowledge that there is an issue and that they are looking into it. It would keep me logging in if I knew that they were even taking this seriously. So far, we have received nothing but "it's the internet!" responses from the Devs.

+1

I have a open ticket on this issue and provided images of the same issue. I have also spoken to a Dev on IRC and they believed it to be network/Internet related. I did point out that many others were having the issue and many from my Corp go completely different routes to the game server are still having the issue. I also pointed out people with 60ms ping can recreate the issue by high latency when crossing these boundaries. My ticket is still outstanding from the 25th Feb with no updates.

I do hope we get something from the Devs, because at the moment I am pretty much logging in to do corp work ( hey if you stay docked all seems to be ok of course cool ). the few fights we had over the weekend, were lag fests and extremely frustrating to both sides. I am close to throwing in the towel, not rage quit because of being camped in, or because of some change to the game mechanics, but because we just cannot play because of the Lag. It was never this bad even back during the days of major internet issues or even the DDOS issue.

Please can we get a response from the Devs?

Duma

Duma wrote:

+1

I have a open ticket on this issue and provided images of the same issue. I have also spoken to a Dev on IRC and they believed it to be network/Internet related. I did point out that many others were having the issue and many from my Corp go completely different routes to the game server are still having the issue. I also pointed out people with 60ms ping can recreate the issue by high latency when crossing these boundaries. My ticket is still outstanding from the 25th Feb with no updates.

I do hope we get something from the Devs, because at the moment I am pretty much logging in to do corp work ( hey if you stay docked all seems to be ok of course cool ). the few fights we had over the weekend, were lag fests and extremely frustrating to both sides. I am close to throwing in the towel, not rage quit because of being camped in, or because of some change to the game mechanics, but because we just cannot play because of the Lag. It was never this bad even back during the days of major internet issues or even the DDOS issue.

Duma

No WAY!!!?!!!  Someone else who actually wants a response from the DEVS?  Hey Devs you following along here??  Could we get an acknowledgement on this and/or the Killmail BUGS?  Why the silence?? 

I just can't think up a rational solution as to why these bugs have continued for so long with NO response from the Devs?  Why would they give us the silent treatment here?

I don't log in much right now either.  Spawns are stuck in buildings, and as soon as I engage the spawn I get massive lag spikes where before I never had this issue.

11 (edited by Sundial 2012-03-05 06:07:48)

Edison wrote:
Duma wrote:

+1

Duma

No WAY!!!?!!!  Someone else who actually wants a response from the DEVS?  Hey Devs you following along here??  Could we get an acknowledgement on this and/or the Killmail BUGS?  Why the silence?? 

I just can't think up a rational solution as to why these bugs have continued for so long with NO response from the Devs?  Why would they give us the silent treatment here?

I don't log in much right now either.  Spawns are stuck in buildings, and as soon as I engage the spawn I get massive lag spikes where before I never had this issue.

CRM said the other day on IRC that they are going to fix killmails:

12:11 <@DEVCrm> i added "ffs finally fix the killmails" to my todo list

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

12:11 <@DEVCrm> i added "ffs finally fix the killmails" to my todo list

Its about *** time......

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Great, more significant Dev info on...............IRC....:fuuu:

Well, at least they said something about it AND someone posted the response for the vast majority of us that missed it.

Thanks, Sundial

14 (edited by eFlame 2012-03-05 16:20:34)

I have asked that if this issue is acknowledged by the Dev team and has been placed on their "lets get this fixed list" that this thread be closed and locked. The Dev Team can then open another thread requesting specific information as needed.

Specifically look at the area of  447, 1459 on Alsbale.

Three things to NOT do here, open a map, move, attempt to pvp.

+1

A networking/internet issue this is not!   That it is intensified, or amplified, by the slowness of the clients base, or static ping time is true.    That it is reproducible on demand is true.    All these things have been identified, and proven beyond reasonable doubt by players at both ends of the world.
The question now is, given this reproducible problem, "Can the developers provide the user base with a game that is playable outside of the terminals?"     I sincerely believe it is possible, and I intend to stick around and enjoy the game after this is fixed.    However I do urge the devs to first make the game fun again, before they add features that may accentuate this existing, reproducible, debilitating problem.

To the Devs, "Thanks for a very entertaining game, and please don't let it degrade so only half of the world can hope to play competitively"   

I'm in Australia, and have a base ping time of 440 to 460 secs under good conditions.    When people with 40 - 60sec base ping times are having problems you can only imagine what happens on my screen, sometimes I don't even get to see my own explosion.   I have to look at perp kill or combat logs to know what happened.

Lag Lines+ Opening a Map + Alsbale = Sad Panda.