Topic: I am shooting a wall

Iā€™m thinking of making a post on the forums every time I am bored and shooting a wall on an enemy island. Consider it an artistic expression of how boring the game has become.

On a side note even if you don't consider the cost and space requirements of bombs (which are still to high) the fact that you need to use two, makes the process unnecessarily slow.

Perhaps both the cost of walls and bombs needs to be decreased making it just a time sink rather than a NIC sink as well.

Also we saw an interesting bug today where a section of walls would appear and be impassable for one character but would be absent for another character running from the same computer.

p.s. It may be technically difficult to make them shootable but from a game play perspective, is it really acceptable to have a player built structure that can't be locked and shot?

+1
-Confucius

Re: I am shooting a wall

Time sink for both wall builders and wall destroying could be more of a time sink, but in any case right now the time sink issue seems to be a problem on both sides (nobody wants to build walls or destroy them). Maybe its time to remove these damn walls and get back to the drawing board, and stop using us as guinea pigs for your eventual long term plans that have never materialized. Still I remain hopeful, but I don't know why anymore.

RIP PERPETUUM

Kaldenines wrote:

Also we saw an interesting bug today where a section of walls would appear and be impassable for one character but would be absent for another character running from the same computer.

p.s. It may be technically difficult to make them shootable but from a game play perspective, is it really acceptable to have a player built structure that can't be locked and shot?

I have seen this bug as well on alsbale after blowing up a wall, it updated for other peoples clients but not mine. I couldn't pass through.

You are not the only one who thinks the current way of destroying walls is highly annoying and time consuming.

I accidently killed my own detector when I ran it behind a wall and then my missles shot through it somehow and killed him. Walls really need to be targetable. Bombs are cool but are not very effective in terms of time, nic, and volume.

1 bomb should put a sizeable hole in the wall.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Making walls lockable changes the entire dynamic and basis on which walls would be deployed.

If they do make them lockable, they'll negate 80% of the current wall structures, which are basically there to prevent bots getting in behind them.

Frankly, at this point I don't even care if they do or don't make them lockable. But if they change the base functionality of the walls, again, they need to warn us the change is coming so we can let the walls we won't need degrade; 20 days would be suffcient.

By the time PBS come into play, plant-walls should be phased out in favor of PBS-linked defense structures.

a quick instant log, helps fix the wall thingy.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

You can have this wall redesign for free:

Step the first: Remove all walls from the game. Don't really care how you handle the inevitable cries from people wanting their NIC back but this implementation cannot persist into the age of PBS.

Now we lay down a very basic framework for PBS.

Influence:
Outposts give influence/control in a radius around them. This area increases with the level of the outpost. Structures can be built within this area.

Structure Footprint and Slope Tolerance:
No structure can be built within 3 tiles of another structure. Structures have a slope tolerance. If any one tile that the structure occupies exceeds this tolerance then the structure cannot be placed. Basically large buildings need very flat areas. Small ones can be built on fairly steep slopes etc.

Power:
Power Generators are structures that must be built. They are solar powered (anything else doesn't make sense and I'm sick of refuelling from managing POS in Eve) and generate an amount of power relative to their physical size. All power is distributed via Nanotechnology (nanotechnology is like saying magic) to any structures that need it within the influence area. All structures except Power Generators consume Power.

CPU:
All structures consume CPU except for SuperComputers. Supercomputers generate Terraflops. I think you can see where this is going.

Barrier Nodes:
These are the new walls. They use a small amount of CPU and a moderate amount of Power (Something like automated turrets might use a lot of CPU and Mining rigs may need lots of both). A Barrier Node is a 1 tile targetable structure with the same slope tolerance as a light bot. Basically they can be placed almost anywhere and be shot by everybody.

Each Barrier Node will emit a plasma barrier that prevents bots from passing through it. This barrier can only be connected to one other Node so no T-Junctions can be formed just lines. You can ring them around if you want.

When a Barrier node is destroyed then that section of "wall" will disappear. If there is not enough power or cpu to run all the structures then structures will offline (either in order of largest consumption to least or at random if there is a stalemate).

Security:
If any structure starts to take damage then all members of the owning corporation will be notified via a ping on their radar.

The structures can be "built" using the plant growth system (IE progressing in stages and can be accelerated) but I'd say that's as far as the similarities with plants should go.

Naturally you can fit a great many different structure types into that framework including gates, turrets, mining rigs, harvesters, factories etc.

Bring back player vs player, down with player vs walls!

At the very least make bombs 10 times cheaper and 10 times smaller and have them do 2 times the damage.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.