1 (edited by Burial 2012-02-24 04:58:24)

Topic: Virtual Wars - A safe PVP minigame

There would be a module placed on the alpha islands where people could sign them/their team up and after enought people have joined, the battle would start. There would be atleast two sides who fight to win the game. Fight could be over territorial points and territory, items or whatever else, it does not really matter. What matters is that IF people were to blow up, they would be teleported back to the start and after some time-out they would continue to play.

What it would archieve: People would have a nice AND fun thing to do besides what we have now, in addition, people would learn PVP without loosing anything besides ammo. I believe it would be a step towards more population as it would give something very different to do.

For the wins, one could get similar credit as one gets from the missions and one could buy cool stuff for it. In the future, it could be integrated into more systems and it could give even more meaning to the whole thing.

I hope I didnt miss any important details. The concept is pretty easy to grasp but if you have any questions, then shoot. smile

Re: Virtual Wars - A safe PVP minigame

This sounds neat, however it also goes against the entire purpose of this game.

If you want battlegrounds, instant action and no loss, then you are looking for a theme park game.

If you are looking for meaningful fights where dying actually means something and winning is so much better for that, then you are looking for a full loot game like Perpetuum.

Safe this, safe that.

Easy mode pve, easy mode pvp.

Theme parks are that way  -->

"PVP without loosing anything"

Open world PVP wouldnt be going anywhere. It would be just a thing people who want could do.

Bad idea is BAD!

Once again we have another "something for nothing" gamer who wants rewards for risking nothing......

Sandbox mmos are not for you.

Inappropriate signature.

dont over react to the no loss thing. this idea may need some adjustments, but in the basic this is a nice idea.

well you can put out the no loss thing. why not do this with t1 fittings only? so not much to loose anyway.
have some sort of minigame sonds intresting for a lot of ppl. this might be a good way to show ppl how this game works and maybe will give a lot ppl some fun when other things are unavalible.

give it a thought. you could do a fun thing out of this, if its done the right way.

7 (edited by Scyylla 2012-02-24 14:23:00)

Syrissa wrote:

dont over react to the no loss thing. this idea may need some adjustments, but in the basic this is a nice idea.

well you can put out the no loss thing. why not do this with t1 fittings only? so not much to loose anyway.
have some sort of minigame sonds intresting for a lot of ppl. this might be a good way to show ppl how this game works and maybe will give a lot ppl some fun when other things are unavalible.

give it a thought. you could do a fun thing out of this, if its done the right way.

Goes against the them of sandbox mmos....

Instanced pvp is not what these games are about. Introducing this kind of game play into a sandbox contradicts everything that pvp is about. Sandbox style mmos are about risk vs reward. If someone wants some twitched based no consequences pvp they can fire up the xbox and wait to join a COD match.....

As far as showing people how the game works--- Ummm no it won't. Instanced pvp for no risk (and yes even t1 gear is no risk!) will do nothing to show a new player what they game is about. PVP isn't about sitting and waiting for a match. It is about hunting and killing your prey>

Inappropriate signature.

personaly i dont care enough about this. but for you ppl to say. just try to think outside of your box instead of just saying this is not sandbox...

Syrissa wrote:

personaly i dont care enough about this. but for you ppl to say. just try to think outside of your box instead of just saying this is not sandbox...

Evidently you do care about it.

His idea isn't thinking outside the box.. He wants to change one of the core principles of the game and make it twitch based, something for nothing mentality gaming....

Inappropriate signature.

10 (edited by Burial 2012-02-24 15:01:40)

You dont get it at all Scyylla.
I am not saying anything about loosing what we already have. It would be something completely different. Heck, it even could have some specifically made equipment just to fight in the system. It would fit in the lore perfectly since we already have dematerialization inside terminals and teleporters.
And where does sandbox end and themepark start? If you look at the things in Perpetuum, you could easily see it already has tons of "themepark" features.
You should just think what is fun and what is not and not so much about breaking the sandbox.

Burial wrote:

I am not saying anything about loosing what we already have. It would be something completely different. Heck, it even could have some specifically made equipment just to fight in the system. It would fit in the lore perfectly since we already have dematerialization inside terminals and teleporters.
And where does sandbox end and themepark start? If you look at the things in Perpetuum, you could easily see it already has tons of "themepark" features.
You should just think what is fun and what is not and not so much about breaking the sandbox.

I most definitly "get" it.

You are the one that doesn't so I will spell it out for you:

The sandbox itself is the FUN part. You want to BREAK the sandbox........

Inappropriate signature.

12 (edited by Celebro 2012-02-24 15:41:48)

Scyylla wrote:
Burial wrote:

I most definitly "get" it.

You are the one that doesn't so I will spell it out for you:

The sandbox itself is the FUN part. You want to BREAK the sandbox........

Yes indeed it breaks it Burial, and that's where the sandbox ends and theme park starts. When you are given a choice of not risking your items/NIC .What's the point  of doing what we already have in place?.

This breaks the market too, where is the demand if you lose nothing?

RIP PERPETUUM

As I said before, the system could use some entirely new items only obtainable and usable in the minigame, that way it would keep it safely seperated from the main game economy. And of course it could and should be tweaked to fit the game.

Don't worry, once Lemon builds his arena it will be fine smile

15 (edited by Burial 2012-02-24 16:28:10)

Nice dream smile

where is written that perpetuum cant have this?

and where exactly is written that Perpetuum is a Sandbox?
Not even the DEVs have used that definition:
http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Features

also - theres a topic about Sandbox definition:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … e-sandbox/

but on topic: this must be the 20th topic about such a feature and it always ends with flaming and religious interpretations of what is allowed in a sandbox and what not.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

17 (edited by ZUBO 2012-02-24 17:15:27)

First of all i want to address the people who fear open world pvp would stop - really? So all mining bots an no one tempted to blow them up? And risk vs. reward: If reward is 0 the risk should be....??

But the arena as suggested here has some flaws. First of all i would not let people bring a bot - they should get a random one to prevent this becoming a testing ground for lolfits(maybe they should also give everyone some  skills that come with the bot).

Then it should not be a permanent place to hang around. More like the corp tourney with a time limit for a match. Also access should be limited somehow. There are a million choices: Pay nic for a match, find access card through artifact scanning on beta, max of 4 matches per day, only one day a week is "tourney day",...

Also it should not give out any reward. And no killmails. And teams must be random(again - not a training ground). The arena now has lost some appeal for senior pvp-ers but it should only really be a minigame.

Overall not very sandboxish but also nothing to be worried about. Suffice it to say there are a gazillion more important things this game needs than this arena...

18 (edited by Syrissa 2012-02-24 17:20:54)

ZUBO wrote:

Overall not very sandboxish but also nothing to be worried about.

this is sooo true

ZUBO wrote:

Suffice it to say there are a gazillion more important things this game needs than this arena...

this is even more true

but
this is a discussion to bring up new ideas. we dont discuss what is important or more important then other things. this is just about the posibillities and ideas and to discuss them... so no harm done anyway.

This thread is- safe pvp mini game: No, stop looking for more game content that sacrifices the open world we have now with silly mini games, there are enough of them out there.

RIP PERPETUUM

Making an arena, well they have one.

Making it non-FFA loot?

You could of course make bots non-destructable, but why? One of the challenges of new player pvp isn't in replacing the equipment, its in finding fights with players of comparable skill and equipment.

Just providing an arena that allows even EP/equipment battles would be incentive enough for most pvp players to enter in, and the cost of replacing thier bots is the price of battle if they lose. The game provides numerous ways for players to earn NIC and modules to equip themselves.

For those that want just instant gratification pvp, not having to go grind out nic to replace bots, will never 'graduate' out of the arena and into world PVP, because the loss to recovery time ratio will be too discouraging. Mixing no-death PVP arena's with a full FFA world PVP game... is there any examples of this? Has it been tried before?

Arga wrote:

For those that want just instant gratification pvp, not having to go grind out nic to replace bots, will never 'graduate' out of the arena and into world PVP, because the loss to recovery time ratio will be too discouraging. Mixing no-death PVP arena's with a full FFA world PVP game... is there any examples of this? Has it been tried before?

Sisi? wink

Arga wrote:

WOW PVP servers look at how many people just sit in the safe citys and do battlegrounds....
Bet its the same in SWtoR PVP servers.

while I do like the idea I must -1 as it gives people a safe pvp outlet.

LOL one of my best memories of 62nd was when Nova got fed up with us and stopped logging in, we set up 4 vs 4 out side of Galoly with ourselves fighting to 1/4 armor then you were out. We did that for about 3 hours, was some of the best pvp I ever had. That was the night I learned that a zenith could shut down 2 ictus if you were on top of your game.

TL:DR Set up your own learning PVP to find your strengths and weaknesses before you go crashing head first in to a pvp loss, but this Idea isn't a learning curve its a free pass which is not needed.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

NO...get out...really NO...just no...no need to explain anything...just no and get the *** out....

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Khader Khan wrote:

WOW PVP servers look at how many people just sit in the safe citys and do battlegrounds....
Bet its the same in SWtoR PVP servers.

I did some open world pvp (on a PVP server) but really not many do it what you say is mostly true for SWTOR..

big -1 for this idea sad

@ the OP do live fire training ops within your corp or other friendly corps. keep the fits real for pvp & practice..

Im also sure you could organise an equal pvp fight with many corps for fun & learning smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Without getting into the whole "gosh the game must be taken very, very seriously" thing, and also not planning to remotely compare fighting in a game like this to anything like real conflict or war-- some sort of arena or combat experience where the sides are somewhat equalized and where it becomes a matter of tactics would be interesting.

Now, I watched the videos of the 1st annual corp tournament.  Obviously, there were some problems with the point and victory parameters, but also as obviously, no one objected to a "non-warfare", arena style tournament.  Any more than they do in that other, big sandbox game. wink

Since loss of bots drives the otherwise artifical economies of the sandbox style games (presuming no other deliberate money sinks, like perhaps customizable mech skins, etc.), then perhaps an arena where the bots will be destroyed and salvagable might appeal better to folks.  However, keeping it to matched bots and with restrictions regardng modules might make things a bit more interesting.  Then new folk that do not have half a billion to risk could compete in ordinary lights or something.  Sure, blow 'em up, just don't beat the new folks to death with your wallet.

Frankly, if you just want skills to be the important factor, then having the arena generate the bots/mechs etc. would be best.  You neither provide them nor get to keep them; they are just a set of gear you put on for the fight.

Yes, the folks with more EP will have an advantage, but frankly they likely could field bigger and better bots/mechs too, so fair enough.  At least with gear parity one might get to see some interesting fights.

And it's something else to do in the game.  Variety is good.  Last I heard, games were for entertainment.  wink