Topic: Gargaj, release API documentation

Perp-Kill.net is corrupt and filled with ads.

Please release API documentation, so people who are actually playing the game can start developing real KBs.

Re: Gargaj, release API documentation

Me andSundial called the ads thing. Like a month ago.

Hmm I am a programming noob but isn't sharing the whole point of having an API?

+1
-Confucius

+1 to open access to API. Personally I would like to be able to pull the kill data myself for some analysis smile Also, anything that encourages development of third party out of game tools is great for a complex game like Perpetuum

I just saw ads on kb... It's *** horrible. fuuu

Time to release API and KM dump to us peons.

Whats the problem? Install Addblocker, problem solved.

If Mitix wouldn't have written it into his news, i wouldn't have noticed it at all.

Its Jasdemis fault that this free killboard had to face this...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Yeah, the ads don't really bother me, but still I would like to be able to pull from the API myself

I have host file method of blocking ad related content.  I havent seen anything on there.  I dont even know where on there he put the ads.

His sourcecode is found on the about page on perp-kill.

http://perp-kill.net/?m=about

direct link to download of sourcecode:

http://perp-kill.net/files/Perp-Kill-Source.rar

1. API docs aren't finished yet, and even then access will be very restricted.
2. If you don't want ads on Perp-Kill, chip in to pay his hosting.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

there are even better ways if you dont like ads...

try using firefox and the adblock plus addon. i havent seen too much advertising on most websites for quite a while. this stuff is good. it cant block everything, but it does block a lot. i can recomend that ^^

13 (edited by Mark Zima 2012-02-24 17:31:56)

DEV Gargaj wrote:

1. API docs aren't finished yet, and even then access will be very restricted.

Wrong answer. Why would I pay for his hosting when I can pay for mine?

UPD: and btw the source code linked above is obsolete by at least half a year.

14 (edited by Sundial 2012-02-24 18:16:22)

Well I always assumed the guy wants to make a proffit (long term) from the KB from the moment he stopped playing the game but still developed the KB.

I think it would be nice if mitix posted his long term goals here with the KB. Does he wan't to make money and develop it himself? Or does he wan't it to be a community effort?

Community effort would mean he would let people who play the game develop the KB as well. As far as hosting is concerned, I am sure we have people in the community that could help with the sites hosting.

One way or another when API is released we might be seeing other alternative KB's pop up with support for things like corp/alliance/island features as well as intelligent filtering of kills with diminishing returns for people abusing the system instead of banning people on a case by case basis.

Mitix, what are your long term plans for the site?

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

dont rush it garg - make it good and hack-proof

the last thing we want that is a hacked KB hoster...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

16 (edited by Mara Kaid Pirate of Nia 2012-02-24 19:08:50)

Looks like on the current killboard some people got their feelings hurt by having comments posted about them. That was pretty lame, and if we had our own way of utilizing an api we could make a fun killboard to make comments on.

We need a way to make our own boards so we can post comments. I could careless if they are against myself, others or meaningless drivel. That added something fun to the game. Another dimension that people appreciate.

An api documentation we could use would be nice.

Killboard should be official. End of. It is going to SUCK having lots of different kill boards and then the Jelan-Rumor-Mill will start and people will accuse each other of hacks or manipulating killboard stats!

If you want to make your own then the API can be used for that to monitor your own corp or whatever.

Alexander wrote:

Killboard should be official. End of. It is going to SUCK having lots of different kill boards and then the Jelan-Rumor-Mill will start and people will accuse each other of hacks or manipulating killboard stats!

If you want to make your own then the API can be used for that to monitor your own corp or whatever.

This shouldn't be a priority for the devs, they have much more important things to work on.

Let the players have their drama if they really want it that bad. A simple API to make your own killboard / interpret it how you want is fine.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Mara Kaid Pirate of Nia wrote:

Looks like on the current killboard some people got their feelings hurt by having comments posted about them. That was pretty lame, and if we had our own way of utilizing an api we could make a fun killboard to make comments on.

We need a way to make our own boards so we can post comments. I could careless if they are against myself, others or meaningless drivel. That added something fun to the game. Another dimension that people appreciate.

**SPOILER ALERT**

You can still post comments

Dazamin wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I'm up there man! I already did it! WAIT FOR IT! WAIT FOR IT!

Made an alt already in game ( in game char check )
have reg'd email ( check )

Let the posting continue!

Dazamin wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

I'm up there man! I already did it! WAIT FOR IT! WAIT FOR IT!

Made an alt already in game ( in game char check )
have reg'd email ( check )

Let the posting continue!

I'd probably say that if what you want to post is so stupid that you don't even want your fake internet robot name to be associated with it, then its probably not worth posting smile

Personall access to kill API doesn't help the community, it just gives one player more intel.

Having 2 KB sites would be ok, as they would keep each other honest, and promote competition for better layouts and features.

Having a dozen just means your going to be posting and commenting on kills to a website that maybe only a handfull of the community actually visits.

Personally I find it funny how everyone thinks his own killboard would be better, but hey, whatever motivates you is good smile

I find it funny that devs STILL don't want to learn from eve. Visit some of the different alliances killboards and you will see that our killboard while usefull and great is always improvable.

the innovations a committed playerbase will implement with open wide ranging api are well worth it. killboards are just the tip of the iceberg.

At the end of the day with such a small dev team making as much of the game open source as possible is advantageous. The devs see it with the concept of the game - that's why its a sandbox. They see it with territory control which is why terraforming and walls will be used. Open your mind to the possibilities of API and other open source activities.

Tonnik wrote:

At the end of the day with such a small dev team making as much of the game open source as possible is advantageous.

I would agree, but it's equally dangerous too.