Re: Terraforming

Some terraforming ideas I picked up whilst playing Wurm online, probably the best terraforming mmo atm with years ahead in live development.

There is a need to avoid spamming and a large area with impassable terrain or high mountain regions can be annoying. Therefore we need to make it an enjoyable part of the game but it should take skills and loads of time in order to terraform, if we want it to be persistant.

1. Extension skill to terraform steeper slopes. The steeper the tile the higher the skill you need.

2. Do away with terraforming charges, you need dirt blocks from the ground to raise a tile and non to lower but your cargo gets full so having haulers in the mix seems like a nice addition. This I think provides a much more sandboxy feel than just buy charges on the market.

3. The NIC sink, settlements would need to be deeded (player corps only) in order to protect your terraforming efforts and building PBS. Make each tile deeded require a monthly fee with an initial cost to actually make the deed. Undeeded areas would be FFA.

4. Further into settlement areas we could place guard towers with npcs for a monthly cost if this can be balanced.

RIP PERPETUUM

Love where they are going but come on now.  You all whined that walls made it too difficult to get around and was an unfair advantage to the ones living on it.  Now you are all whooping it up about the ability to make impassable terrain with raising ridges and mountains out of a flat meadow?

We will abuse this until you have one tile wide and 34,000 m to get to anywhere that we live.  Better start crying decay, or erosion or "hey we need a way to flatten that ridge even though we don't have a PBS on that island but we want to go shoot them!" now before "Switch back peak" and "caught you in the pit" are common features!

Because you are giving players a way to build fortress islands that are 10X easier to defend than walls that can be shot!

Think it through now, cuz we going to dig pits to bury roamers and travelers in!

There might be easier way to piss on someones PBS, shell your neighbor with tokens of love fuuu

Regardless, the problem of taking out of entrenched positions might have crossed the devs minds once or twice. 
I would not be surprised that the long since forgotten artillery might finally find some use here.

Arga wrote:

Internal Gamma TP's can be player built and located, but externals should be hard pointed.

TP's are natural choke points, so its most likely that any outpost defense will start there. If Gamma's are big enough to support multiple alliances living there, then trying to TF off the TP's will be difficult, and reversible by the opposing side.

If entry / exit TPs were placed on the Beach by te devs that would mean any attackers can circumnavigate around a whole island. This would force an island owner to build mountains around the whole perimeter of TF'able land. loads of work.

If they dont do that & only mountain in a section of an island that could leave large areas to be claimed by some 1 else. an enemy living on the same island as u will brake your defenses faster then one that doesnt.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Siddy wrote:

There might be easier way to piss on someones PBS, shell your neighbor with tokens of love fuuu

Regardless, the problem of taking out of entrenched positions might have crossed the devs minds once or twice. 
I would not be surprised that the long since forgotten artillery might finally find some use here.

I will raise mountains from the depths of the islands so far away from my PBS that your artillary will be way out of range.

Think it through all, now is the time to complain before the trenches are full of your t4 loot drops!

Takeo Prime wrote:
Siddy wrote:

I will raise mountains from the depths of the islands so far away from my PBS that your artillary will be way out of range.

Think it through all, now is the time to complain before the trenches are full of your t4 loot drops!

Frack you and frack your stuff!

And remember, you are protecting assets; not some lame outpost, but a installation that can and will be leveled to the ground should your defenses fail. The incentive to frack with your stuff is proportionally of many magnitudes higher than before... now that it actually will hurt.

making the whole island flat as a mirrior will make you a very... poor corp, probably.

they didnt post any details about the resource-respawn algorithm - but it could be that your totally flat island would lack a good part of resources, because they need slopes to grow (plants) or only appear around hills (stermonite?).

Theres a good bit of code that could be written to make its simply "a bad idea" to terraform the islands to much.

Imagine certain NPCs would only visit your island if they could roam from teleporter to teleporter?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Theres a good bit of code that could be written to make its simply "a bad idea" to terraform the islands to much.

Fascinating.

34 (edited by Celebro 2012-02-16 01:03:09)

Takeo Prime wrote:
Siddy wrote:

That's why I think dirt tiles should be the way to go, not unlimited npc buy order charges. DEVs could set a limited amount on each island, dirt haulers cant teleport out. Raising mountains is limited by height and should take months to complete.

There would be enough sand to play with but not to spam a whole island.

RIP PERPETUUM

35 (edited by Siddy 2012-02-16 01:20:52)

Celebro wrote:
Takeo Prime wrote:
Siddy wrote:

That's why I think dirt tiles should be the way to go, not unlimited npc buy order charges. DEVs could set a limited amount on each island, dirt haulers cant teleport out. Raising mountains is limited by height and should take months to complete.

Eeeeexept that there is a way to get rid of dirt tiles too. So you can get a mirror smooth or a fortress in either cases. Solves absolutely nothing.

With "dirt hauling" it will just make it a little bit more complicated with no real tangible benefits. Also, have any one of you, even for a second, paused and considered how much land mass can you fit in a island? With that puny 1 tile terraform tool it will take 100 man crew at least months to get any tangible results on islands general topography.
The real question here is how the "template" terraforming is going to work for the large crew.

Celebro wrote:
Takeo Prime wrote:
Siddy wrote:

I see where you are going, but what happens when one group uses all the 'limits" of dirt movement then another group takes the island?  There is no more room to make changes?  Resets?  If resets, won't they "stage" the take over with an alt corp and get all the new limits?

You have to decide:  Let the players build what they want (sandbox) and not whine (wow that would be new) or limit them in such a way that nobody ever gets upset about what they build (theme park game).  I just wish the players would stop getting everything nerfed by whining and getting the Devs to retreat on an idea.  If you don't like what a group builds on a gama island, stay the f*&^k off it and leave them alone.

IMHO

The point siddy makes is the more relevant so far.

The outpost is destructable and we'll assume expensive.

Defenders should have free reign to do anything and everything to make blowing that outpost up as difficult as possible.

Its important to remember, the same with walls, all it takes is a single path to render 10 sq KM of impassible terrain, passable.

Like walls, TF will slow attackers down, and give defenders time to rally a defense; which may be a couple islands away trying to take down someone else's stuff.

As I pointed out before, gamma should not be easy to roam. There needs to be big boy islands.

Anni's point about time is relevant too, fully formed defenses and walls will not show up magically over-night (walls maybe, but probably not impassable terrain) and we've already seen how easy walls are to remove.

too many rules COULD end up making gamma just as unsatisfying to live on as beta is, mainly the risk/loss doesn't justify the gain/epeen of having your own outpost.

38 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-16 02:47:41)

Arga wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

man i must be the only person in game who wants to use TF to make an awesome looking island sad

flat is awesome wink

I wonder if you lower tiles close to the water, if they will fill up... You can make some lakes that way Obi big_smile

i get the feeling based on what the devs said about beaches is we will TF down & hit "sand" & thats where we will stop.

As some people have said b4 & in other threads i believe that at least Beta 1 should be turned completely to NPC stations. as a base for the more nomadic to roam.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

39 (edited by Inda 2012-02-16 10:03:17)

I saw 2 most interesting thing on the blog comments.

1. From: Azyre: Can we have Gamma 1, Gamma 2 islands ? as Gamma 1 is safe by syndicate Gamma 2 is pvp island
I am definately ON this, there are many people to want to doing things just for fun, so can be possible. But yes that also contain some problem.

2. From: Mark Zima: The dynamic ore spawn is a wrong idea
I undersatnd Zima, but I need to ask for more details the DEVs these ores will be changed when they "mined out" or there will be a timer to change like 1 mounth there will be static just then will change?
And I also see a problem, you make an area to you to live and then ores just change many times? I wold like to oposite you know the ores on the field and then make "fortress" to help mined out.
After I got some more info can be say more.

And an interesting an would be cool idea.

From: Kaldenines: "...I think some kind of device for going over impassible terrain would be in order. ... how about a carrier type floating platform which would move very slowly over any terrain but mechs would be able to dock in it. ..."

I like this idea but I would like to see these carrier to have low masking range, for the defenders can be see that in time.

AFTER the reading this post:

I see 2-3 things, now we dont know how we can do terraforming will be "dirt" (landmass) or wont, but i prefer that, you can see there will be an island and if there will be dirt you need to accumulate at least in terminal or somewher else on the map you you cant do totatlly flat islands.

I dont know what will be the start "position" the Gammas we just get some randomly generated landmass or flat? Probably 1st.

What about you cant totally block one tile, like you need to do passable in 1 direction that can be a "rule" of terraforming, so you cant totally block.

To Takeo, as we saw if there will be totally sandbox that maximized the advantage to defenders you nearly cant do anything as attackers, at least add some counter "toy" to attackers.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

1. From: Azyre: Can we have Gamma 1, Gamma 2 islands ? as Gamma 1 is safe by syndicate Gamma 2 is pvp island
I am definately ON this, there are many people to want to doing things just for fun, so can be possible. But yes that also contain some problem.

I seen this comment to. The problem is on these islands PBS will not be allowed to be blown up. We would endup with a clutter of PBS all over the place. There must imo be a way for "natural" selection.

you know, the issue with "conserving" the total dirt of an island is, that you can either destroy anything in your robots cargo, or you destroy the robot.

making it drop on the ground and instant-raise a hill, in case of destruction of the bot isnt a good idea either (someone moves with a scarab to a pvp battle - and theres suddenly a mountain after it exploded wink)

half a year ago, i have discussed this with Alexadar - It would need a two-module game mechanic, where one is the "intake" and the other one the "outtake" - and one module alone just working as "smudge" or "blurr" brush on the hight-map.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

42 (edited by Arga 2012-02-16 18:28:34)

lets not overthink TF so that it gets delayed for another couple months while they work out where to hide the dirt smile

Edit: as long as the mechanics work for operating around on the island, and aren't OP or useless, the way it works can be tweaked in future patches.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Inda wrote:

I seen this comment to. The problem is on these islands PBS will not be allowed to be blown up. We would endup with a clutter of PBS all over the place. There must imo be a way for "natural" selection.

Yep... You should have a very high upkeep cost in order to "rent" to space, as well as a system where if someone wants it bad enough they can go to war with you somehow (maybe a NIC war, maybe PvP, i dunno)

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

44 (edited by Celebro 2012-02-16 18:40:45)

I would rather wait, so they get it right or at least half right smile

Just remove impassible terrain, make bots run slower on these tiles, if they can make you run faster on highways, I guess shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: Random ore spawn solved, blocking access with terraforming solved, but there is probably something I have overlooked big_smile

RIP PERPETUUM

Slowing tiles = free demob

Celebro wrote:

I would rather wait, so they get it right or at least half right smile

Just remove impassible terrain, make bots run slower on these tiles, if they can make you run faster on highways, I guess shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: Random ore spawn solved, blocking access with terraforming solved, but there is probably something I have overlooked big_smile

remove impassable terrain?  So limit what you can build or terraform to the point of not really making it worth the time and NIC?  Why even move out there then?

Let the players build ultimate fortresses.  If they are impassable, so be it, don't go there.  They will have to deal with troublesome logistics a lot more than you will have to deal with it on an occasional roam.

Mommy, evil carebares built a damn STARFORT, i cant roam in their back yard anymore!

So 'free demob' (well not really its your choice) and walls is not enough to be worth the time?. I really don't know why there is impassible terrain in the first place. Can some one enlighten me with their wisdom?

We could also leave it as is, don't be surprised if it gets nerfed like the walls. If the walls were bad before imagine them together with the terraforming and impassible terrain. At the end of the day the terraforming is not the problem , the real problem is the OP defensive use it can achieve.

RIP PERPETUUM

I love how people theorize about OP defense when no one have even presented a tangible argument of what "OP" defense constitutes of.

So far, the only "op" defense has been a defense what makes it just impossible to shoot at the structure. If the bases are killable and the owners of the base have big enough "fan base", i am sure the problem of "op" defense becomes quickly moot.
Walls and some, hypothetical, AI defense turrets can never replace players when it comes down to the business.

I want to build the base with scale like this
http://www.qctop.com/articles/upload/Si … -23199.jpg

Or with a mighty power like this
http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons2/610 … 97/re2.jpg

Or with a epic defence like this
http://www.supcomtalk.com/wp-content/up … x_base.jpg

Or i will quit this endless betatest and go play dota