1 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-02-12 21:38:53)

Topic: Ultimate solution to log in exploit

We all know that this is one obvious exploit.
You can fix this with 3 simple steps:

1. When you log in, you CANNOT target another PLAYER for 5 minutes after being logged off for 5+ minutes, so DC's won't be affected.
2. ???????????????????????????
3. PROFIT for everyone, except the log in exploiters.

I wanna see this change in the next patch. KTHXBYE.

2 (edited by Spectronsminion 2012-02-12 21:09:04)

Re: Ultimate solution to log in exploit

if the server was stable be good ida but maby not so long

no stop crying

Spectronsminion wrote:

if the server was stable be good idera

Good point. Edited step 1. Check it out.

if id known there was going to be more wine today i would of brought the chease
ooops looks like i just did big_smile

lose player placed objects on beta introduce gamma islands and allow all placeables there
allow manufacturable bombs and walls [well manufacturable of all items]remove all infinates from all markets
do that and then maybe ill feel the game is going some where

I fully support all Jasdemis ideas as good ideas!

It's not an exploit, its a tactical log in TARP!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Jasdemi wrote:

1. When you log in, you CANNOT target another PLAYER for 5 minutes after being logged off for 5+ minutes, so DC's won't be affected.

Alone victim anyway will die. Tacklers could not be in offline.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

10 (edited by Jasdemi 2012-02-15 14:42:19)

Devs forgot to add this in the last patch. Can happen ... I forgive you.

11 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-02-16 22:17:46)

Actually, it is rather strange, that a character logs off and just disappears into the aether.  Argue the point one way or another, it's the players option to log off at any time, or it's exploiting a game mechanic.

However, there is some validity that the logoff mechanism is being used in a way that was not intended.  And there is something that could be done here:

- When a bot logs on the terrain, and the 2 min timer on beta is up, the bot still appears on the terrain, but not on radar and not lockable.  This means if you get in visual on screen range, you will see it like a "statue", but you would have to be within a couple hundred meters to see it.

-While logged off, it is not targetable or affected by AOE damage

-When the character logs back in, it has the normal instablity and protection.

Let the screaming commence.

However, this would not eliminate logoffs, it would only limit them.  Out of the way locations, mountain passes and crevasses, would still work as places to logoff.  But logging off right in front of an OP, you would see the statues there.  Lack of radar detection would still give the ablity not to be seen by a detector, only if someone walks right past them and visually sees it.

Face it, the mechanic is being used in such a way currently so that ppl can set up traps.  But it is totally 1 sided, and impossible to do anything about.  Something like this would balance the scales.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

I endorse that Idea or service...

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO POKI

*official mascot of NeX*

yeah lupus - spam all teleporters with logged off trail arkhes from countless already expired accounts.... good suggestion...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Actually, it is rather strange, that a character logs off and just disappears into the aether.  Argue the point one way or another, it's the players option to log off at any time, or it's exploiting a game mechanic.

However, there is some validity that the logoff mechanism is being used in a way that was not intended.  And there is something that could be done here:

- When a bot logs on the terrain, and the 2 min timer on beta is up, the bot still appears on the terrain, but not on radar and not lockable.  This means if you get in visual on screen range, you will see it like a "statue", but you would have to be within a couple hundred meters to see it.

However, this would not eliminate logoffs, it would only limit them.  Out of the way locations, mountain passes and crevasses, would still work as places to logoff.  But logging off right in front of an OP, you would see the statues there.  Lack of radar detection would still give the ablity not to be seen by a detector, only if someone walks right past them and visually sees it.

Face it, the mechanic is being used in such a way currently so that ppl can set up traps.  But it is totally 1 sided, and impossible to do anything about.  Something like this would balance the scales.

I can see this becoming an issue in the long run imagine 100s of bots having to be loaded by the client when walking around. the bots need to still disappear imo...

Maybe logging off can leave a scare on the terrain for 15mins?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Annihilator wrote:

yeah lupus - spam all teleporters with logged off trail arkhes from countless already expired accounts.... good suggestion...

C'mon, use your imagination here...imagine a logoff trap where there are already a bunch of bot statues on the landscape...

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

Bumpitybump

Jasdemi wrote:

-9000, As mostly a victim of login traps myself, I still think they're a viable and fun strategy that adds spice to the game and more flavor to the pvp.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

1. Lose a connection due to ISP fault on the field
2. Log in a few hours later when your connection restored
3. Find yourself surrounded by enemies/NPC/minorities parade
4. fuuu fuuu fuuu fuuu fuuu
5. Ohhai terminal!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

19 (edited by Burial 2012-06-08 17:54:15)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

I actually like the idea but it needs tweaking. Somewhat fixes the lore issue too associated with logging out.

Again, i propose to add "anchor beacon". This time on forums.
After player logged out on beta or gamma on terrain, he would be replaced with "anchor beacon". This small beacon will have good signal masking value, to prevent detecting from a large distance. If anyone will kill this beacon, beacon will be destroyed, cargo container with robot cargo will appear on the ground (to prevent insta-hauler-teleporting), and robot, what was logged off, will appear in a home base.

How long should that beacon stay on the field?

Alexadar wrote:

Again, i propose to add "anchor beacon". This time on forums.
After player logged out on beta or gamma on terrain, he would be replaced with "anchor beacon". This small beacon will have good signal masking value, to prevent detecting from a large distance. If anyone will kill this beacon, beacon will be destroyed, cargo container with robot cargo will appear on the ground (to prevent insta-hauler-teleporting), and robot, what was logged off, will appear in a home base.

LOL!!!!!!!

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The beacon should not be targetable/shootable.

Burial wrote:

The beacon should not be targetable/shootable.

If beacons will have logoff cooldown, lets say 24h then disappear and teleport you to home, i agree you can make them invincible. I like this idea.

They should be more visible if they are invincible then.