Topic: Nanite Wall Maintenance Facility

thought this might be better in its own thread. Lets see if we can throw some ideas around... heres mine! smile

what about having a PBS building called lets say ... Nanite Wall Maintenance facility (NWMF). this PBS requires fuel & is needed for walls to grow once they have been placed & to repair them selves of damage received. And while im at it let say it has a max range of 1km (for arguments sake)
This will add a meaning full cost to walls & their on going Maintenance.

This kind of building will add cost to the amount of walls you build. the more wall blocks with in a NWMF the more fuel it needs to build nanites & feed to the walls.

what say you?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Re: Nanite Wall Maintenance Facility

Reminds me of POS fueling chore in Eve, which I didn't like. Could work with the right balance.

RIP PERPETUUM

i agree i hated pos's in eve but then again i was for a long time happy to refuel them coz it was worth my effort.. If we want a nice wall network some up keep costs should be required. making those cost a pure Nic tax is dull & boring i feel tho.

But you are right some thing like this would need to be balanced.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Historically, walls have always been good and bad for combat. Today's OMG I luv you wall can turn to OMFG I hate you wall tomorrow. Walls are passive though and even stone walls last hundreds of years unless they are actively attacked. It only takes a fraction of the time to patrol a wall then it does to build it, but that still takes manpower, which is a premium cost in Perp.

If they wanted to introduce Force Fields, which are walls built instantly, but require powered upkeep that's a winner idea.

-1 on maintence facility, daily walking of the electric fence is like hide and go seek for me atm.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Well thats why the original idea is to have a single facility that needs occasional refuling (not daily, unless you cant afford the fuel).

The problem with the way things are now is that after a few days we have one island which is effectively a corridor.  Whats beta gonna look like in two-three months time?

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:

The problem with the way things are now is that after a few days we have one island which is effectively a corridor.  Whats beta gonna look like in two-three months time?

i think thats mostly because after you have built your first wall, you can place down self-building walls everywhere and just wait. Unlike the fully built up walls, the first few grow stages cannot be shot down without bombs.

self-grow of walls has to be removed with an hotfix - ASAP

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Kaldenines wrote:

i think thats mostly because after you have built your first wall, you can place down self-building walls everywhere and just wait. Unlike the fully built up walls, the first few grow stages cannot be shot down without bombs.

self-grow of walls has to be removed with an hotfix - ASAP

I hadn't really thought about this, but it now seems kind of obvious that you should actually build your own walls. +1 (Although the fact it uses the plant coding could be an issue)

Yeah, I'd agree with that, self-growing walls aren't needed. But I would make the charges player buildable then.

that they are using the plant layer is not an issue. they can define how fast a plant grows individually for the plants anyway. See - noragis is not spreading, walls do not either.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Firstly, it would of been nice to know that the wall degradation was coming so u could plan for it in advance.

2ndly understand why that it is there, but believe there should be a way to gain an auto repair system. Say if you get an outpost up to a 100 then you should be able to set it on for all walls current within a 4000 to 5000m radius from the O/P. If you dont maintain the O/P at 100 then u loose it.

12 (edited by Arga 2012-02-09 06:46:43)

Edit: NM

I think 4K to 5K radius is more fair as you cannot place walls within 1k of an O/P and 500M of a SAP and as they are all fairly close together i dont think 3K would cover this.

14 (edited by Allak Hazaam 2012-02-09 06:37:06)

Walls = Plant... or at least built on the plant mechanic... well to my understanding. why not remove the upkeep cost / natural growth but instead make the walls "harvestable". What you get back is the "Wall Compiler charge". Base plate is not recoverable. Wall size is determined by the number of wall charges in the wall. bombs ( or firing ammo at by targeting someone on the other side or splash damage when the wall is at its smaller stages) remain as only way of permanently removing the wall from that location. Would also probably need a skill.... because when in doubt add another skill to train or two for that matter in the case of probes. skill would affect cycle time of wall compiler module and enable deconstruction at level 5 ish

there are probably a lot of flaws to this idea and would require development, refining, consultation and maybe something called "testing" etc.

but I see the benefit being:

you now have a "gate" because you can reduce a wall to just the base plate and run over it

you can "defend" against being trapped by walls buy equipping one of the wall compiler modules

walls could then be used on alpha cause you can reduce them to the point you can walk over them without using bombs

would limit the walls to an extent because walls would become a bit like "rob the nest" I steal your charges to make my wall stronger you steal my charges to make your walls stronger the more walls you have out the more there are to harvest

This would also make reimbursement of the walls easier because the "value is determined by the number of charges in the wall based on the current size of the wall (which reflects time spent on it)

allows the tactic of using wall height eg. it may not be always be best to have wall up to top might be better to have it so that lights and assaults can't fire over it but mechs and H. Mechs can.

just a different solution which does include all current walls dying after 2-3 weeks

How about feed a "wall facility maintenance station" reactor plasma. The more walls you have the more plasma you need to feed it to keep your walls healthy.

16 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-09 12:57:52)

hmm ok got to thinking on this some more on this after reading the above posts.

What if instead of the Wall Maintenance facility having a Km range on it instead its tied to the zone it is built in.

as an example ill use alsbale smile

If you had walls say up in Port Elia & got sick of having to go out in ya wall rep bot ever week or so you build a "Wall Maintenance facility" in the Port Elie zone to maintain any wall tiles that are built within that area.

the WMF once fueled will now automatically maintain all walls in that area.

the pros of this building:
time saved by owner:

Cons:
far more costly to use a WMF than if you were to go out & maintain your own walls
why? you have to make a choice. do i want to save money but spend more time physicaly going around all my walls or am i willing to use a WMF that is very resources hungry.

Ideas about the building its self:
Requirements:
1.Med level of territory control for that zone. (aka u dont have to own an out post but have some form of territory   control how ever that will work)

Must be connected to a power plant.
Must be connected to a command center ( or what ever the main controlling PBS building will be called)

Nanite Fuel requirements per wall tile could be:
(the WMF has no fuel but it being hooked upto the Power plat adds extra drain & thus cost)

1 alligior
35 common reactor plasma (npc sell orders for this would need to be seeded. still a nic sink)
^^ just a thought.

this would be more expensive than going out ya self but would save u personally the time.

how ever the more walls u have the more nanite fuel you use & the nanites that need build the more power you will consume. sucking limited resources away from other PBS.

1 thing im unsure about is how often the WMF would consume nanite fuel in relation to number of wall segments.

This is the obvious answer to uncontrolled wall spam.  We dont want to go down the route of fuelling a gazillion stations but having walls/laser fences or whatever linked to a maintenance facility that is in itself destructable as well.  Nice ideas everyone that's suggested stuff

A wall maintenance building can influence a radius, and another wall maintenance building can be placed to start forming a grid... power grid.   1k influence, 2k distance between maintenance buildings.  The nic sink should be in the cost of the buildings.  The whole deal that sowers me is the time sink to maintain the walls with decay. Another time sink feeding the maw of a maintenance building is generic to these games....But there are other time and nic sinks in the future. Therefore i am not asking for ten lashes of a whip at this time.

We built a grid like this once, covered a 10km X 10km square. Fought over the grid for five six days. Ended up with one power station left. epic battle.  Building is cool and blowing it all up is also cool. Spending half a day throwing mud at walls,,,,,not so cool.