Re: Walls decay over time

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Wow, some of the arguements and accusations of lazyness here is just epic.

What involves more effort here:

A) 1 time spamming of walls, with occasional review for punctures, making it almost impossible for anyone to get beyond immediate entry to an island, with probes at strategic locations that ping everytime a hostile gets near it

B) Constantly having scouts out, or detectors, and a ready defense force to respond to any incusion of hostiles on the island in question, and having to pay attention the whole time you are out doing any activity on beta?

It's astonding that so many who in the past claimed to be pvpers and want to have "good fights" now want to hide behind walls and be totally safe, with no risk, farming and mining on beta.  Another "easy button", and yes it is easy.  It's expensive and takes time, but once that time and expense has been done, it's a simple and and cheap to maintain.

It's a good indication, when people resort to ad hominem attacks and insults to argue their points.  An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument..  It's a pretty good indication that those resorting to it have little or no valid points to add to the arguement.

PS- keep posting in yellow Dan, it suits you, you are defineately "yellow", so concerned to be able to hide behind your maze of walls and not actually have to work to defend your territory.

Ad. A - it sounds more like you are jealous because you didn't pull it off first. I'll not tell you how you counter what you call "wall spam", because you should be able to figure out how it works by now IF:
- you aren't lazy and broke as I said and you've work long enough with your own walls;
- you are as good strategics as you said in multiple occasion.
I'll not add much to it, because of bad experiance with CHAOS and telling Alexadar why shield are good tongue

Ad. B - I recall you didn't want to spend so much time on Perpetuum, making it a second job, or complaining about arkhe trial characters scouting Nova external teleports. Defence force ready while doing anything on beta? Walls aren't shooting back, unless you found a bug which you should report instead of exploiting, so we still need guys to kill the attackers - I don't quite understand your problem here.

To make this post look like your let's step down to your level (I know you still beat me with experiance) and add some teasing and insults:

It's astonding that one who in the past claimed to be pvper and want to have "good fights" now have hard time using same game mechanics and tech to his advantage. I remember discussions about cuting off teleport to Kent and Shinjalar for security measures and using what you now call "wall spam" to defend Nauwy OP.

Ad Hominem? Hah, you hypocrite smile
Oh plus quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

PS.: I'm using yellow colour since release and it somehow didn't bother you earlier roll

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

no

Jelan wrote:

Dan, stop being blinkered and just using you're too lazy arguments, extropolate where walls will go in their current incarnation and maybe you can see the problem.

I have made any accusations of cowardice or whatever at your spamming of the island, I've simply pointed out what will happen if the mechanic isn't changed

Current wall incarnation allows you to modify hostile/unfriendly are the way it will suit/work for you. This illusion of safety which current walls give you - yes it is illusion - makes more bears leave their alpha caves to repopulate beta islands. Why illusion? 'Cause you can easily use walls against the defender, figure it out yourself how to do it. smile

This change repopulated Kentagura which is, imo, good sign.

Ofc, I agree that current system changes the rules of engagment. I like the change and I'll defend it. We entered the age of NICs Wars ;]

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

29 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-06 02:26:32)

Currently the bombs are just too big and cost too much to be practical except in cases where you have very little time.  Also why can't we just lock and shoot the damn wall?  It doesn't make any sense.

On a side note, maybe plasma bomb explosions should create a ping on the radar.  I mean a big boom is supposed to be hard to miss right?

+1
-Confucius

These wall sure make for some trippy landscapes.  I suppose one question is: do we want all the choke points on beta to look like this:
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n58 … m_0031.png
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n58 … m_0032.png

And remember, once they are put down, nobody will put in the time and effort to remove them unless they completely block off a route in which case:

DEV Zoom wrote:

Don't forget that you only need to breach one tile to make a whole line of wall a useless decoration.

Just wanted to point out, that i have nothing against walls and like the tactical possibilities, but as they are right now, they make almost impossible for new players and corps to even see pvp without a lot of investment thet they just don't have.

How the hell do you expect no get more players, if every new feature seems to be targeted against newer players.

I get it, that a new player shouldn't have a big impact on the beta islands, but as walls are now (and probes, but that's another matter), you cannot get to beta anymore and see in my opinion the most selling argument about this game.

32 (edited by Celebro 2012-02-06 09:08:04)

Well said Mordolloc, priority for the DEV should favour new players, which is what is needed, don't listen to the old beta vets whining. I have nothing against walls, they really add more thing to do in game, but I think with a slight buff for attackers more islands to create opportunities is what is needed.

Bad timing to introduce walls. Gamma island or continents with just a flat terrain with no structures would have suit this best, instead of spoiling the landscaping done by DEV in beta which I predict was not the original idea for these islands.

This shows the lack of development plans, just throwing in more content/tools on a whim and hope that all of the game mechanics works well nicely in the end.

RIP PERPETUUM

33 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-06 09:31:36)

Post moved to a new thread.
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/60230/#p60230

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Kaldenines wrote:

Currently the bombs are just too big and cost too much to be practical except in cases where you have very little time.  Also why can't we just lock and shoot the damn wall?  It doesn't make any sense.

It's a tough balance. If the walls are too easy to destroy...nobody will build them. hmm

This discussion has moved from wall maintainenc, to being able to quickly revert back to the old style of roaming PVP play. Weaker walls or smaller bombs will allow stealthed bots to completely negate/bypass  the wall and beacon system. Resetting the game to roaming PVP, ninja sap looting, and ganking.

I keep saying it, roaming and territory war need to be seperated. There would be much less push-back on the wall system, if there were still areas that allowed players to continue to play a pirate/ganking/roaming style.

Arga wrote:

This discussion has moved from wall maintainenc, to being able to quickly revert back to the old style of roaming PVP play. Weaker walls or smaller bombs will allow stealthed bots to completely negate/bypass  the wall and beacon system. Resetting the game to roaming PVP, ninja sap looting, and ganking.

I keep saying it, roaming and territory war need to be seperated. There would be much less push-back on the wall system, if there were still areas that allowed players to continue to play a pirate/ganking/roaming style.

Yes and no, you can't really seperate the two completely, they're part of the same system, territory needs to be defended as well as conquered, and by defended, I mean by actual people, not by walls or probes. Being active in lights on an enemy Island, stopping their industry is as valid a method of fighting as capturing their station. Being able to build defences is fine, but they should be an aid to players actively defending, not a replacement.

I'm not talking about seperating pvp combat, nor adding in a mechanic that would require any particular type of play style. Players are free to roam the non-territory areas with 20 player heavy mech groups if they want, and solo masked ewar are still able to visit territory spaces; and you can consider both of those roams. But, that 20 player hmech group isn't likely to get any fights in a fast moving roaming space, while the ewar is going to find it difficult to be effective in the territory.

But, its more likely that an outpost (if they have the numbers online) are going to engage a 20 man fleet to defend thier SAP, as its more likely an ewar is going to play a strong game of cat and mouse in a no wall/ no detector area.

When a single ewar can stop all activity, and require a squad of players to undock and chase them around for an hour, that is too far balanced to single combat. Yes, the game has made 1 player happy, but frustrated many others that had to push him around. That's OK occasionally, but when it happens too foten, it can keep an outpost docked up and bored for days, and that drives people from the game.

So, it IS about seperating the two. Right now there's no where for the small roam to go, and that's not good, but they have also had free rein for many months; which I suppose makes it even harder on that type of player.

Remember though, there are (6) beta Island, and not all of them are strongly occupied... yet. Players ARE moving out to beta, if one island is too hard to roam, then try the others.

Its important to remember, this game is player driven. Every new module, item, and bot changes the way the game plays. I don't disagree that changes can have an impact on how individuals, groups, and alliances play, if they didn't then they wouldn't be changes.

What you seem to be talking about is essentially creating a consensual PvP only zone where everyone has time to dock up if the bad guys come in their heavy fortification destroying squad, while the roamers shoot each other somewhere else. Also, if a single EWar can stop all activity on an Island, you're doing it wrong.

I'm essentially talking about (2) types of zones still.

And your're using consensual PVP likes its a bad thing. smile

Although, if your SAP goes active, its always a choice if you want to defend. If there's 40 Hmechs and your at 100%, I'm going out on a limb and say your not going to undock with your (4) guys that are online. If its 10 enemies, and you have 8 or 10 guys, you probably ARE going to undock; this is true with or without an active SAP.

What is bad, is when the majority of the combat is non-consensual ganking. Remeber, in non-consensual, only 1 side is pleased that it happens.

Also, if a single EWar can stop all activity on an Island, you're doing it wrong.

There's a big difference between a single ewar enemy being on a island, and KNOWING that it's just the 1 bot. Much like termites, if you see one, it's only prudent to assume there are more.

40 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-02-07 01:34:36)

I try not get personal in arguments about game mechanics but I think here it comes down to personal prefernce as to what kind of gameplay you want in your MMO.

Arga it is clear to me that you would be quite happy to play a perptuum in which you wall yourself in, mine as much epi and harvest as much noralgis as you like with zero chance of being caught ever and with a very low probability of anyone even bothering to break walls to get to you.  The odd balls who want to pvp can go to their kinky pvp island (which btw does not exist) to do their dirty stuff there.

Well thats nice but its not the perpetuum that a lot (i suspect most of us) subscribed to.  Just ask STC what attracted them to the game.  These walls align with your interest in the short term but in the long run they will make for a very dull and soon dead game.  Unrestricted wall building is just not appropriate on the current beta islands.  The terrain clearly was not designed with this mechanic in mind.

Take a look at the new probes, they are useful as an extra set of eyes but are in no way a permanent feature.  Walls should have a similar role.  They should either have a limited number/range (e.g. per owned outpost) or require regular maintenance/refueling.

+1
-Confucius

consensual we have .... on alpha! & lets keep it there. If your on Beta its a free for all. Dont like then dont come here.
Back on topic: i feel as said b4 the number of walls you build shouldnt be limited. But a regular aintenance/refueling cost should be added.
@ those who used the example of the stone walls we see IRL i say to you this: were they built of ninites? NO lol.. this is a game set in the future. Build by tiny machines. They could require power no? so on going maintanace costs seem reasonable.

It would seem those who are saying No to this are the ones who have built more walls than the chines managed to in 2000 years roll

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

rephrase that:

walls should not grow over time on their own.

Thats the only fail mechanic, because it shifts the cost to build them, vs. cost to destroy them towards easy to build.

its a big difference if you have to raise all wall-tiles on your own and get it shot down, or if you just have to raise the first wall, and let everything behind grow over time.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Arga wrote:

What is bad, is when the majority of the combat is non-consensual ganking. Remeber, in non-consensual, only 1 side is pleased that it happens.

You consent to getting ganked the minute you jump on beta............

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:
Arga wrote:

You consent to getting ganked the minute you jump on beta............

QFT. This is the whole point of Beta, there are plenty of games that have 'consensual' 'fair' PvP, battlegrounds, scenarios, etc, etc. The PvP is separated off into its own little area, this it not one of those games, and hopefully never will be. Unconstrained open world PvP is an integral part of the game (on beta), if you don't like that, there is an area just for you, Alpha, where the PvP is switched off. Beta is the game as its meant to be, remember that initially the whole game world was PvP, it was switched off in Alpha because of issues with the protection provided to players by NPCs, so be grateful that Alpha is safer than it was intended to be and you have somewhere to go where you are immune from PvP.

45 (edited by Arga 2012-02-07 18:41:25)

@Kald

I'm not sure how to respond without it coming out as corporate dialog, but I'll try.

I admit my play style has an influence over my presonal preferrences, how couldn't it. But your also making assumptions about my play style (as is Scylla and Daz).

My stance on the walls is simple:

Walls add a sense of security to beta Islands, making living there a better risk/reward ratio.

I was there right around launch, living out of Hydelhorn. It was hard enough back then keeping an outpost with 50 active players online nightly, let alone awhen corps are averaging 10 active players.

My opinion in this case has nothing to do with mining and everything to do with creating an environment that allows the smaller corps we have now to effectively secure an area. If that security involves a heavy time commitment price tag, then it defeats the purpose.

@Daz

Walls don't put any limits on the PVP mechanics, it doesn't constrain them. When I talk about seperating beta into two TYPES of areas, I'm not trying to make it like Alpha; It's about creating two types of PVP areas, that promote different types of engagments.

Solo players say that walls killed thier roaming PVP style. Decaying walls will bring it back, it will mean that the players that want the walls will have to spend a large portion of thier play time supporting them. To put words in your mouth "They don't have to, they can let them drop", which puts the game exactly back where it was without walls. Roaming is happy again, yea for them, but the sense of security is gone and the risk of owning an outpost increases again, and we are right back to the same situation.

My solution is to make beta areas where you can't put walls or probes, with some loot objective, which will make them roam friendly. Allowing BOTH small and territorial PVP to exist, where making walls temporary, simply returns the game to the previous roaming state.

The current state, may or may not increase the server population, but we already know that the previous status quo did not.

I would agree that there should be different types of PvP, but to me that is a terrible solution. Territorial warfare imo should be about big gangs, but that was removed for I 2.0 which made territory warfare about roaming gangs. I'll say again, roaming is a valid strategy for disrupting the enemy. I don't want a small gang PvP arena where we can all go and have 'good fights' against each other while our Indy guys are safe behind walls mining happily away. I want to come to your Island and make you defend your industrial operations, I want to defend my own industrial operations. Having some system, perhaps like the 'other' game where there is Player controlled space (Gamma?) with Player owned stations, etc, etc and NPC controlled space (Beta?) which has NPC controlled stations you can't be locked out of, and maybe further restrictions would be cool, but that doesn't change the fact that PLAYERS should defend their territory, NOT WALLS, defending before walls wasn't that hard, and if you are incapable of doing that, then game mechanics should not do it for you.

I disagree Daz smile

You are correct, that I 2.0 made outpost about roaming gangs, but I think that was the consequnce, not the intent. Defending territory was never "not hard", and 2.0 didn't make it easy, it made it not worth the effort to take the SAP, because the roaming gang didn't want the outpost, just the loot.

I'm also not talking about creating an arena for good fights, I'm talking about having an area where there's no territory defense, so no need for pbs.

I've said this a number of times too, Walls do not defend anything. I sense you disagree with that as you keep coming back to it, and implying that the walls are doing something 'magical'.

If I have 2 combat bots, and you attack with 10 combat bots, how exactly do walls make provide me with a win?
Sure, I know your coming and can dock up, but I'm not in anyway 'defending' the outpost then.

If I have 8 and you have 10, then yes, I can use my walls to help even the odds and help defend, but I have to have people still to do it.

The same thing with indy bots. If there are NO combat bots online, and you come onto the island, then my only recourse is to dock up, and you've just effectively interrupted my production. Walls don't allow me to mine or harvest 100% safely, if I'm missing something maybe you can tell me so I can mine 100% safely (No, the celebro method is not safe, its a death trap).

-1 on walls decaying.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Short and to the point Ville.

There nothing magical about what walls do, Islands have limited in points plus choke points, wall off chokepoints and place probes correctly, you are almost guaranteed to see whats coming in and have plenty of warning before they get anywhere near you. Dock up / safe log, wait for them to leave, congratulations, you've just created a consensual PvP only zone.

For bonus points, combine it with a pain in the *** ownership system, which means going back to that station 2-3 times a day for a week (two weeks if you don't want them to take it back in a day or so) at random times to apply pressure to your opponent by knocking down stability significantly / taking their station, which of course you won't do 99% of the time, because unless you intend to live there full time they will just take it back (In a day or so if you could only manage a week of SAPs).

So easy way to avoid unwanted fights + no incentive to attack or defend = ??????