1 (edited by Alexadar 2012-02-01 22:58:27)

Topic: Walls :: first impressions

I've finished my first row of wall pylons. Impressions was good.
Maybe, bombs need adjustment and reballancing as well as walls. Time will show.

After first impressions, i will request few positions:

1. Replace wall-booster module with "construction" module.
2. Make "construction" module craftable and with tiers (t1-t4).
3. Remove NPC sell order from market.
4. Replace cycles in this module with toggle ON/OFF.
5. Remove this silly charges, and make building fully depend on accumulator. (AP/S)
6. Tie this new module with upcoming PBS system
7. Add proper extensions and maybe a new bot for construction
8. ??
9. Profit

Re: Walls :: first impressions

I think the walls being a bit of a NIC sink is a good thing as those are needed too, might not want to make this fully player reliant.

3 (edited by Syrissa 2012-02-02 09:04:01)

did anybody try to block a npc roaming squad path with them? so that they cant get around it. for example close a gap between 2 mountains. how does the ai react?

running into the wall and stay stuck?
attacking the wall?
trying to find another way around? (even if its a long walk)
magicly walking through the wall?

4 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-02-03 03:07:57)

Already see an issue, once the initial expense is paid, there is no further upkeep required other than replacement.  We are already seeing wall spam on an epic scale, and some limitation might be in order.  Two possible immediate suggestions come to mind:

1)  Walls become non-permanent structures, that have a limited life and have to be replaced, or require some maintenance to keep them healthy

2)  Walls have an associated cost over time.  Call it a maintenance fee, for every wall segment you have, there would be a monthly fee.

Either of these would limit spamming walls to some extent.  Right now, it's just too damn easy to build thousands of walls all over beta, and for them to remain as permanent features useless specifically targeted with bombs or weapon fire, with no need to do anything to maintain them.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

5 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-02-03 05:59:14)

i actually like walls as they are atm.... Altho if they were to degrade over time (say a month they stay at peak then after that they slowly dust & degrade down... tho i dont propose them completely disappear)

I can think of a few ideas that go along with the above:

1. Have to repair walls after xyz weeks...

2. When PBS comes in a Wall Maintenance PBS Can be built that auto repairs walls with a given radius.
    It could work like this: corp A invade alsbale... Corp A now rules the island they can
    1. (after blowing up all the previous PBS on the island)leave the walls as are & replace the Wall Maintenance PBS.
    2. Rebuild their own Wall Maintenance PBS & reuse the walls
    3. Hate where the walls are built & blow them up Or let the walls rust away over the next few weeks & then    rebuild.

this PBS could require a power plant & to be connected to the island power grid....

Anyway just a few ideas But i really am enjoying walls smile

Edit: PS DEVs can you make the walls targetable so we can shoot them directly?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Initially, the wall spamming is working very well as a NIC sink. Its still a new mechanic, so how it is going to afffect roaming, and how often walls are going to need to be repaired from bombs in unknown.

At this point, I don't see the harm in letting the players play with the sand. But I wouldn't exclude the possibilty of some maintance requirments in a later patch.

7 (edited by Dazamin 2012-02-03 08:00:24)

I like the idea of walls, but I think it needs adjusting. Firstly walls should be directly shootable. With the amount of wall spam, carrying a sequer full bombs around will be needed just to roam. You could make plants shootable while you're at it if that makes it easier smile.
Secondly, the way they are limited needs changing, right now there's no reason not to spam as many walls as possible if your aim is to make any PvP roaming on your Island as horrible an experience as possible. Walling off strategic locations would be one thing, but covering a whole Island in the things seems a little excessive. It also causes horrible client side lag sad

As some others said, assuming PBS structures will have some kind of limiting factor (powergrid, fuel use or whatever) including walls in that might limit their use a little. Right now, theres simply no downside to building as many as possible everywhere.

I don't mean to sound too negative about it, and don't think it needs a proximity probe style nerf or anything smile Just some small adjustments might make all the difference.

Kentagura is probably the most walled Island out there, and I didn't notice any lag issues playing between 8 and 11 PST. But the area was also well explored, so there was no 'first time' loading or the area, which may cause lag as the client synchs. Not sure how that mechanic works.

Although walls will probably will be targetable at some point, it seems like it swings the bomb issue to the other direction; that is no one will carry bombs. The 10U requirement means no small bots can carry them at all, and there's little room for ammo then in the larger ones.

Where do you see bombs being used if you can target walls?

Yeah I'm not sure what affects the lag, but we were getting a lot on Kent earlier (all client side as far as I could tell).

To be honest I don't much care if bombs are used or not, although they will clear walls faster than shooting them (shooting takes a few minutes depending on DPS), I'm more concerned about whether the gameplay is good or not. Perhaps a small HP buff for walls along with a bomb dmg buff would make bombs a viable alternative for some situations. 

I don't really get how walls fit with other changes that have been made if I'm honest. Intrusion 2.0, Walls, Proximity Probes, bombs, etc don't feel like part of one system, they feel like bits and pieces stuck together without any clear plan of how PvP should work on beta, maybe all will become clear with PBS *crosses fingers*

As possible variant: limit walls to be constructed in a X KM radius around your structure (outpost), not further.

Daramin wrote:

Secondly, the way they are limited needs changing, right now there's no reason not to spam as many walls as possible if your aim is to make any PvP roaming on your Island as horrible an experience as possible. Walling off strategic locations would be one thing, but covering a whole Island in the things seems a little excessive. It also causes horrible client side lag sad

well, you forget that walls do not only affect your enemies, but also your own movement. And since all robots can pass through a 1x1 tile big opening in a wall, the longest wall cannot hold off a mech roam with a brain for very long.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Adding in some feature thoughts that haven't been implemented yet too, like Artillary which I'm guessing won't need to be targeted, can also be used to take down walls without making the walls targetable.

Targetable walls, like Anni points out, are only as strong as the one tile that can be dps'd down. When they aren't targetable, then that makes them much more complicated to breach.

From a miner's perspective, a detector bot could previously make the rounds on 4 or 5 beta Island epi spots in less than an hour. Meaning it was very difficult to mine on beta without getting spotted, that includes island owners not just ninja miners. This is also true for the more common resources too, and a reason why people are saying they just mine on Alpha.

Walls make it much more difficult to roam around quickly.

From the roamers perspective, there are normally only about 10 players out on the beta islands, and it takes an hour of roaming just to find one.

Now we have a chicken/egg issue. If walls increase the number of players using beta, then the roamers will have a better chance of finding them; Ratters as well as miners. however, until players realize walls make beta safer, they won't go out and use them, making less targets, and roamers will get frustrated.

Its one thing to know there are targets in an area, then bring in bombs to get to them, and another to expect roamers to carry bombs for recon. But allowing roamers to blow holes in walls, means that sense of security disappears again, and we're back to 10 people in beta.

Maybe the devs want to see something bigger happening than just 2 or 3 light ewars bangin a riveler here and there....  Just my 2 cents.  Walls and "sense of security" are a good step toward that.  When good amount of players will be on beta enjoying their false sense of security, big roaming groups with bombs will come and harvest dem all, the pvp guys will be happy again. But the pvp guys cannot think farther than: "i cant pass wall dat dumb i cannot hunt poor miner alone!"

You guys want PBS?  Stop thinking with your old and somehow tiring method of ganking. Try to see the bigger scheme, even if your playstyle is hurt in the process....

Walls are good and natural growth time is not bad at all.
Charges to make them grow faster is good idea. | Keep charges

anything that can be destroyed should be "PERMANENT" until destroyed by another player the idea of walls growing then dying is nonsense and makes no sense ... the nanobots that construct them all of a sudden decide to tear them down ?!?

All PBS's that come into the game should be designed to allow the player corp to make its make on the landscape forever or until removed by another player corp.

+100 to walls as is !!! -1 for not requiring a skill to use the wall converter modules

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

15 (edited by Dan 2012-02-04 01:24:10)

Alexadar wrote:

As possible variant: limit walls to be constructed in a X KM radius around your structure (outpost), not further.

Lupus wrote:

1)  Walls become non-permanent structures, that have a limited life and have to be replaced, or require some maintenance to keep them healthy

2)  Walls have an associated cost over time.  Call it a maintenance fee, for every wall segment you have, there would be a monthly fee.

Those are the worst ideas ever. Walls are awesome as they are now. The only sad thing is that they are a little bit weak, even in final stage hmm

Start farming NIC so you could build your own stronghold instead of trying to ruin good content. You are really too lazy.

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Dan wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

Lupus wrote:

Those are the worst ideas ever. Walls are awesome as they are now. The only sad thing is that they are a little bit weak, even in final stage hmm

Start farming NIC so you could build your own stronghold instead of trying to ruin good content. You are really too lazy.

+1

Walls are not strong, they are resilient. They ignore low amounts of damage almost completely but you hit them with enough force at the same time and CRACK.

If you're a light robot roaming game, it's time to change tactics a little. You'll enjoy it soon enough.

I AM NOT A GM™

Well...small EWAR gangs are a thing of the past...your never see them again...sad...Good bye my love.  Good Bye.  sad

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Walls really have given island owners a lot of power to shape activity on 'thier' Island. This seems appropriate, since they are the ones putting in the time to defend it. Binary's mostly right though, the days of the fastest bots determining where and when to fight is gone. Walls slow down engagements, and give defense time to organize counters. Argueably more strategy and tactics are needed, on both sides.

From a risk reward standpoint, there's always been the issue where the reward of living on beta wasn't offset by the reward. Instead of making the reward greater, the walls make it feel like less risk, balancing it out and making beta more attractive.

There probably needs to be another 'layer' added back in, a Mid-Game though. Where solo and small groups can come together over targets less valuable than saps. outposts are for battles, and small objectives for skirmishes. If the next set of Islands are BIG continents, that that's going to be perfect, because they will simply be too big for corps to control the whole island (at least at our current population) even with walls.

19 (edited by Radstone 2012-02-04 11:32:24)

Walls as they are now will slowly destroy roaming pvp as islands get more and more spammed.  Some alliances have cut off strategic paths others have simply spammed the entire island leaving a narrow path to walk through.

Whatever the thought processes behind it, it will make roaming a boring clear a path affair, get bored, go home. 

Since there is no limitation once again on who can spam walls and you can effectively build them quicker than you can destroy them without bombs and it takes about 3 bombs to take out a fully grown wall.

I like the idea of giving some defences to the proximity probes etc but i think they need to be linked to something that generates power on them like the probes, tp's or outposts.

Lets face it if someone was really bored they could wall your entire island

Just my 2 cents worth

And yes its affecting my ninja mission running as well

Wallspam is bad for the game.

The best idea I've heard so far is to link walls to some kind of nearby "hub" structure that requires active maintenance (energy, fuel, money, watever, per wall tile). Distance from the hub should be limited (like, 1km radius). Total number of hubs also limited. This way we can build fortifications around bases and other important places, but can't spam indiscreetly. 1km from op/tp limitation needs to be removed in this case. Maybe outposts can serve as proto-hubs themselves.

Also we should be able to shoot wall (and plant) tiles directly.

are there screens of said wallspam?

i read about it everywhere, but havent seen it yet.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Mark Zima wrote:

Wallspam is bad for the game.

The best idea I've heard so far is to link walls to some kind of nearby "hub" structure that requires active maintenance (energy, fuel, money, watever, per wall tile). Distance from the hub should be limited (like, 1km radius). Total number of hubs also limited. This way we can build fortifications around bases and other important places, but can't spam indiscreetly. 1km from op/tp limitation needs to be removed in this case. Maybe outposts can serve as proto-hubs themselves.

Also we should be able to shoot wall (and plant) tiles directly.

"Fuel" them up with plasma perhaps? Having them up will be a good nic sink smile

Walls should be restricted to outpost defense/fortification instead of NPC/Ore trapping and island fortification. As such, they should be limited to a certain range from outposts and only constructible with a certain level of control over an outpost.

As for wall spam examples:

http://clip2net.com/s/1ys0M
http://clip2net.com/s/1yrZ3

Inspiration wrote:

Walls should be restricted to outpost defense/fortification instead of NPC/Ore trapping and island fortification. As such, they should be limited to a certain range from outposts and only constructible with a certain level of control over an outpost.

You call it a wall spam, I say you are jelly because you don't even own a beta island.

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Dan wrote:
Inspiration wrote:

You call it a wall spam, I say you are jelly because you don't even own a beta island.

I say you are a mindless troll and choose to further ignore your quite brainless contributions!