Topic: Server status display // Client on HDD & Junctions

Can we please have proper display of the server status when starting the client?
Right now I start the client and it says the server is online. So I type in my 64 digit password only to get the return message that the server is in "Admin only" mode...

Also, I have 5 accounts, for each Account I have a specific folder on my harddrive. Would it be possible to keep those folders, but only keep one main Perpetuum.gbf file in one of them and just create junctions (NTFS-Hardlinks) to it for the other folders?
It would save me 8GB of space (I know, 8 GB is nothing nowadays, but on a SSD it is A LOT).

Thanks for the answers!

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

2 (edited by Line 2012-01-17 15:34:38)

Re: Server status display // Client on HDD & Junctions

It's possible with simlinks to use just one folder, ppl even say that it works a little faster, lesser memory usage etc. May be unstable tho.

What do I really want, it's an option to save password in password field. It's really makes me mad to retype it each time ><

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

The GBF is written to very often and using one file with simlinks COULD cause issues but it might work.. it might kill the clients using it though. smile

Also, srsly a 64 character password? I'm surprised that's allowed. Most allow up to 16.

The game doesnt prevent launching same client exe multiply without reason (it was possible back in beta, and the reason for about 30% of the client based bug reports and corrupted installations)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Okay so it´s a bad idea to hardlink it, I understand. It has to stay on the slow HDD then sad

deactivate logging of chat and combat logs to hdd...

that optioin got implemented for SSD user

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

deactivate logging of chat and combat logs to hdd...

that optioin got implemented for SSD user

It makes very little difference. As long as you don't have your OS installed on it you'll be fine. OS's tend to *** SSDs.. sad

But turning off logging will help not to add to the problem.

The GBF is written to very often

The Perpetuum.gbf one is only written to when 1. there's a patch and 2. when you dock in.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

The Perpetuum.gbf one is only written to when 1. there's a patch and 2. when you dock in.

So what about terrain changes? Plant changes? You can't be telling me that the entire game runs in memory and that the terrain (Which can change dynamically) changed only changes in memory etc..

I can't see how the main game resource is only written to at two events. What if there is a change and you don't dock?

10 (edited by Scyylla 2012-01-18 15:05:02)

Alexander wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

So what about terrain changes? Plant changes? You can't be telling me that the entire game runs in memory and that the terrain (Which can change dynamically) changed only changes in memory etc..

I can't see how the main game resource is only written to at two events. What if there is a change and you don't dock?

Alex:

You are not a Dev..
You did not design the game or the software for the game

What the Dev's really want to say:

Just shut your pie hole! Quit spewing incorrect information all over the forums. You don't know 1/2 as much as you think you do!

*EDIT*-- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  Looking at Gargaj's post below this one, I have to say-- I TOLD YOU SO!:P

Inappropriate signature.

Alexander wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

Sure I can; but since you generally seem to be better informed than the people who wrote the actual code, I'll just leave this discussion be smile

12 (edited by OnOff 2012-01-18 15:06:23)

Scyylla : seems like you are a member of a great mmo developer firm

You may shoot over the target

OnOff wrote:

Scyylla : seems like you are a member of a great mmo developer firm

Well, unlike Alex I know enough not to tell the people that made this game how their code works......

Inappropriate signature.

Can you please stop derailing my Thread? Thank you smile

So Gargaj, is it good or bad to use NTFS Hardlinks to have just one main perpetuum.gbf when running multiple clients?
Because I would really like it to have Perpetuum on a SSD, but 5x 1.7GB is just too much space...

In _THEORY_ it could work, although you gotta make sure you only start one client at a time when patching.

and use the home user folder to write?

for multiple clients, use like [home]/perpetuum/char/...

Eng Daniel wrote:

and use the home user folder to write?

for multiple clients, use like [home]/perpetuum/char/...

How would I set that up?
Or was that a suggestion to the DEVs?

I know stEVE does it like that, and I had one REAL folder for it and then just a few more Junction-Folders for the other Accounts. Worked like a Charm because there was no writing to the datafolder, only to the ""username"/blahblah/eve" one...

But then again, stEVE was 11GB for one damn client...

Sid from mining wrote:

Or was that a suggestion to the DEVs?

Yes

And about EVE, was formerly lighter.

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Alexander wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:

Sure I can; but since you generally seem to be better informed than the people who wrote the actual code, I'll just leave this discussion be smile

You miss interpret what I am saying and what I mean. It was more a statement of surprise and I am impressed. It does raise questions about what happens when the file gets too large for the average computer to load all at once but that only further derails this thread.

So a question on "NTFS junction points" was the client originally designed to utilize this feature? If so it could mean running more client becomes easier as long as I only patch one at a time (I assume patching the same file twice at the same time would probably break it?)

*Bump* for server status display, it´s still annoying!

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

23 (edited by Alexander 2012-02-02 16:17:58)

Sid from mining wrote:

*Bump* for server status display, it´s still annoying!

According to IRC they're aware of the issue.
*Summons a Gargaj from the land of IRC*

The server currently doesn't notify us from the two different online modes (Admin-only vs. Open) but it will be added soon.

Thank you!