Topic: Google Adwords Perpetuum Campaign I ran for a month

Here is the Summary Report

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … lBqZU04Mmc

Campaign activity: 6035 clicks

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: Google Adwords Perpetuum Campaign I ran for a month

Can you explain that to a common person grem, or summarize it for those that aren't in the "web data" area? I apologize, I do have good background in analysis, but my tech savy methods aren't so well.

Just explain a summary of your experiment as you would to a guy in a plane, then give me 3 bullet points. yarr

3 (edited by Gremrod 2012-02-01 17:55:47)

Sure thing.

I used common SEO terms/keywords to advertise the game. One of the ads advertise as a Sci-fi MMO and the other was under a Sandbox MMO.

I spent from 1.00 to 3.99 a day. Each day in the summary shows a number of clicks the ads received (A single click can cost as low as 0.03 cents and go up to 0.55 cents a click).

The ads display on different web sites within the Google network or on Google search.

==============================================================

TBH, I have no idea if this one month campaign brought new players to the game. I don't have the means to track that... But the DEVs can see if they get more traffic for the month of Jan. I think we would still be guessing if the ads did it or not, if they did happen to notice more traffic for that month.

Some more information
=================================================

Ad #1

Perpetuum - Sandbox MMO
Persistent sandbox universe
Player driven economy
www.perpetuum-online.com

Got 2% of the total clicks for the month of January.

Ad #2

Perpetuum - Sci-fi MMO
Persistent Sci-fi sandbox universe
Player driven economy and content
www.perpetuum-online.com

Got 98% of the total clicks for the month of January.

=================================================================

We can see that people are more likely to be interested in a Sci-Fi mmo when it comes to advertisement wording...

I am a programmer not a SEO (Search Engine Optimization) expert.

Someone that is a SEO master can get much better results than I did. But for just about $100 dollars. I was able to send 6k+ more traffic to the Perpetuum website.

Not too bad....

I originally found this game via Google adwords.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

First of all, great to see what you're doing for the game Gremrod, kudos for that.

Further, I seriously think this links with something that has been mentioned many times - this game needs more advertisement.

Let's do some math, say 5% of the clickers decide to download and try the trial, and that 10% of those who do then subscribe for 1 month. 6000 clicks => 300 trial agents => 30 one-month subs => £8*30=£240 (so it would turn out a reasonable profit, and I think the assumptions are fairly reserved here).

And these kind of initiatives is why we need an affiliate scheme

Also I would like to suggest that you set up a donation drive and allow us to donate money which you can use adwords to drive the game with

Thank you gremrod, this is very interesting.

Surprise wrote:

Also I would like to suggest that you set up a donation drive and allow us to donate money which you can use adwords to drive the game with

+1. I can only think of a company PayPal for such things but there are other services.

I AM NOT A GM™

Thanks for info, Gremrod. I have 200€ lying around on Adwords. Gonna use it for this purpose. big_smile

How much max. CPC did you set? Or have you let do that automatically?

Gratz Grimrod, fantastic attempt there smile wish I knew what you actually did so I could do it myself!

14 (edited by Gremrod 2012-02-01 22:53:19)

Jasdemi wrote:

Thanks for info, Gremrod. I have 200€ lying around on Adwords. Gonna use it for this purpose. big_smile

How much max. CPC did you set? Or have you let do that automatically?

The amount I spent per day was 3.99. I left CPC on auto.

3.99 or 4.00 seems good with 300+ clicks per day and let me run the ads for one month with $100 dollars to spend.

Excellent Work Grem, even tho this should be handeld by the DEV´s. Might check my AdWords Account as well, what I still have left to spent.

...just checked...

Did you use your personal budget or was there a Google AdWords Gift, which provided you with 100$ to spend on campaigns, as I don´t seem to have any budget left on my account for AdWords.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Awesome work Gremrod!

Surprise wrote:

...and an excellent idea!

Grem,

Awesome job man! And good insight into what people are looking for. I think it says a lot about how the company should market itself. Sandbox is such a niche term and Sci-Fi can bring people into the sandbox genre.. look what it did for that other game.

A few takeaways.

1 - An affiliate program was suggested.. this is a great idea. If the dev's dont want to spend the marketing budge they simply need to allow people to get new subscribers and provide custom codes to individuals interested in participating so that a portion of the proceeds for subscribers that joined under that affiliate code can be given to that user. This would be a 0 cost way to drive marketing and inspire very creative solutions for getting the word out about perpetuum.. it would also be a first that i know of in the industry and could create some buzz just around the solution itself.

2 - Marketing should be structured around the term sci-fi as opposed to sandbox. People that want to play a sandbox will know this is a sandbox -- the scifi market is much broader and people will identify with that and fall in love with the sandbox.. no reason to pigeon hole ourselves.

3 - Gremrod, is an awesome individual. Smooches.

GLiMPSE wrote:

1 - An affiliate program was suggested.. this is a great idea. If the dev's dont want to spend the marketing budge they simply need to allow people to get new subscribers and provide custom codes to individuals interested in participating so that a portion of the proceeds for subscribers that joined under that affiliate code can be given to that user. This would be a 0 cost way to drive marketing and inspire very creative solutions for getting the word out about perpetuum.. it would also be a first that i know of in the industry and could create some buzz just around the solution itself.
This would be awesome. Sign up, get a unique URL/Banners etc. Each account that uses and subs using your code gives you X days subscription time or discount on subscription time

2 - Marketing should be structured around the term sci-fi as opposed to sandbox. People that want to play a sandbox will know this is a sandbox -- the sci-fi market is much broader and people will identify with that and fall in love with the sandbox.. no reason to pigeon hole ourselves.
Grem showed this to be very true. MMO, Sci-Fi, Robots etc. Are the words that should be used for future marketing. Also the front pages gives a rather limited/poor idea of what the game is and the perspective it's played from. Most if not all the screen shots just show robots and plants with new users being unsure what they're going to see in game.

Thanks for the feedback.

To answer a few questions or one. I used a Google Ad word coupon of $100. Second one I have used for Perpetuum thus far....

Smooches, right back @ GLiMPSE. LOL

GLiMPSE wrote:

2 - Marketing should be structured around the term sci-fi as opposed to sandbox. People that want to play a sandbox will know this is a sandbox -- the scifi market is much broader and people will identify with that and fall in love with the sandbox.. no reason to pigeon hole ourselves.

And, at this time, there is another game raising awareness of Sci-Fi and bringing in many non-mmo players into the genre. Some of them will be dissapointed but will now be on the lookout for other "Sci-Fi" games. Now is a great time to ride on the marketing coat-tails of a multi-million dollar multimedia blitz for Sci-fi.

Also, I'm sending you a PM with a $50 adwords credit

Arga wrote:

Also, I'm sending you a PM with a $50 adwords credit

Code has expired... sad

Bastards!

I would even go as far as to structure this affiliate program on something simlar to.. for every 180 days of subscriptions you bring in.. you receive a 30 day time code to the email on file with the affiliate program. This would give people flexibility about what account they sub.

I opened up an adwords account, and hopefully they'll mail me another coupon to entice me to use it. I also opened a ticket with my webhosting company, which is where the code came from, and maybe they'll send me one too.

Affiliate program. Even with relativly small rewards, people are going to start their own advertising projects on forums, websites and among friends. Seems to me like a win-win situation smile

Adwords, looks like quite good results, and kudos to Glemrod for all he does for the community cool