Topic: How to reduce network latency if you play far from Hungary

Hello there! This short post tries to help our dear customers who play far away from us and because of this, have lots of connection problems.

It's important to note that this network latency is not the server's fault, in most cases it's simply an internet infrastructure issue, or the distance itself.

The main issue is, that in most cases every message that is sent to our servers, travels a far too long road. This can cause pings over 600ms for people from Australia, or New Zealand.

There was a really useful post a few weeks ago, that I wish to refer to:
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/6156/#p6156

After testing a few times, I can clearly state that in many cases, I was able to ping far away places with at least -200ms than normally.

So, how to gain this network shortcut, and how's it working?

Anchorfree is a free, VPN (virtual private network) application. You can download it here:http://www.anchorfree.com/

What this application does, is that it routes your network traffic, so your connection will not jump trough tons of network hubs, as it will first jump to the vpn center, and try to navigate from there. This result in much quicker traffic, if you are playing far from us. This software will not only route Perpetuum; it will route every application that wish to access the internet on your computer, while turned on.

To use the software, just download it and turn it on. Simple to install and use. If you don't wish to use it just turn it off.

Finally, here's some nice test images from Hungary to Australia.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3269 … iaping.png

Please note that if you play in a nearby country (close to Hungary), this application will probably increase your latency, as it does not jump to the nearest spot. It will always jump to the center first, so the ping from the center of the Anchorfree should be same for everyone, and depending on the ping to the software's center, you may experience better or worse network connection to us.

Please also note that when you use this service, your whole network traffic goes through it, and we can't confirm or guarantee this service to be secure or trusted. Using not well protected applications (login to a website without https, and so on) is not advisable. (thx GLiMPSE!)

2 (edited by GLiMPSE 2010-12-28 17:47:50)

Re: How to reduce network latency if you play far from Hungary

DEV Mancs wrote:

Hello there! This short post tries to help our dear customers who play far from us and because of this, have lots of connection problems.

The main issue is, that in most cases every message that is sent to our servers, travels a far too long road. This can cause pings over 600ms for people from Australia, or New Zealand.

There was a really useful post a few weeks ago, that I wish to refer to.
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/6156/#p6156

After testing a few times, I can clearly state that in many cases, I was able to ping far away places with at least -200ms then normally.

So, how to gain this network shortcut, and how's it working?

Anchorfree is a free, VPN (virtual private network) application. You can download it here. http://www.anchorfree.com/

What this application does, is that it routes your network traffic, so your connection will not jump trough tons of network hubs, as it will first jump to the vpn center, and try to navigate from there. This result in much quicker traffic, if you playing far from us. This software will not only route Perpetuum; it will route every application that wish to access the internet on your computer, while turned on.

To use the software, just download it, and turn it on. Simple to install and use. If you don't wish to use it just turn off.

Finally, here's some nice test images from Hungary, to Australia.
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3269 … iaping.png

If you play in a nearby country, this application will probably increase your latency, as it does not jump to the nearest spot. It will always jump to the center first, so the ping from the center of the Anchorfree should be same for everyone, and depending on the ping to the software's center, you may experience better or worse network connection to us.

Please notice that this network latency is not the server's fault, in most cases it's simple the internet infrastructure issue, or the distance itself.

Not to knock this as an option but just as a generalized heads-up to anyone considering this. Please be careful to disconnect this service when not logging into Perpetuum. All traffic going over this service is funneled through this 3rd party provider. Potentially allowing them to view and decipherer important unencrypted (and some weakly encrypted) passwords or confidential information.

<Where'd the guy that posts like this go? Respeced>

~G~

That's a possible case, I will add your information to the post.

Might want to edit the topic...
Uhmericans gonna read it "Far from U.S" and go "Oh not me then"

OK, I'm from New Zealand and run on 365-450m/s lag inside the game at good times, lag spikes will take that up to 4k m/s.

It's not unplayable at 365m/s, but I still don't want to engage in PVP because of the 1-2 hour long lag spikes that just seem to happen randomly, coupled with 2-3 second 'freezes' at the most inconvenient times.

I installed and tested AnchorFree VPN, it does not work for New Zealand, my connection is twice as slow through the VPN than the normal route.

I like to stay subbed, but if the lag gets any worse and there's no workable solution (VPN is a workaround, for some), I guess the aussies and kiwis will just go back to EVE.

Please come up with a solution to this problem, in the long run it will severely damage the game and your company's reputation.

6 (edited by Weapon X 2010-12-30 02:30:55)

I tested it last night (Syd AU) and have to say it greatly reduced the lag spikes. Was running perfect for 20m then I started to get the occasional spike but it wasn't affecting gameplay like before.

The only problem is you can't choose what traffic goes thought it. All or nothing. Meaning if I want to do anything else on the internet I'll have to log out, disconnect the tunnel and reconnect when I'm done. Or risk sensitive data being intercepted by this company. I'm already suspicious why this service is "free".

7 (edited by Locked 2010-12-30 15:03:46)

EDIT: Nevermind, installing now to see how it goes..

GLiMPSE wrote:

Not to knock this as an option but just as a generalized heads-up to anyone considering this. Please be careful to disconnect this service when not logging into Perpetuum. All traffic going over this service is funneled through this 3rd party provider. Potentially allowing them to view and decipherer important unencrypted (and some weakly encrypted) passwords or confidential information.

<Where'd the guy that posts like this go? Respeced>

~G~

This kinda worries me too, I'm not happy about having to use a 'free' 3rd party VPN tunnel to play your game.

Lag has been getting worse everyday now, it's gotten to the point where I can't choose when to play, but have to play for the 30min or so the connection is stable enough, whenever that might be.

You can't pvp under those circumstances, hell not even pve is safe.  I decided not to resub, and most likely will just go back to EVE Online.

Perpetuum has a lot of potential, and I will most certainly check it out again when these kinda issues been taken care off.

Yeah I'm also a kiwi and have some issues with lag in this game.

Was on my way to a  50 person clash today, was unable to make it to the fight due to all the rubberbanding and n/a ping. Taking 15 minutes to go 500m isn't fun.

At this point it looks like the end game is just inaccessable to me.

If you have problems with freezing you should try to trace Perpetuum server. To trace it you can use that guide http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article. … leId=18888 (it is related to wow but you can use it for Perpetuum).

If sometimes you freeze it is very likely thay you have packet loss at some point of your route. In most cases it's easy to solve that problem: you just have to call your ISP and ask them to change your route to Hungary. In some cases it won't help (because ISP can't change magistral provider as well as different ISPs can user the same magistral provider). Than you should try different VPNs (do not forget to trace VPN before buying it and ask their support about trace from VPN to Hungary).

If you have difficulties with understanding trace results you can post it here and we will help you (you can remove first IP address in trace result because usually it's yours IP).

Anyone with an average ping higher than 500ms is going to be out of the running for end game pretty much permanently. The current servers aren't placed somewhere stable and I see a huge jitter when just walking about on a completely stable connection.

The weird thing is that when I trace route the server I get a very stable 49ms if not lower. Then connecting I go from 50ms to 80ms.

It's taking 30ms to process each command? That's not a good server IMO.

The Game

What is the name of the software? Anchorfree is the company. The only software I saw was Hotspot shield which says nothing about being a VPN. It talks about protecting your website and advertising.

Posting reply that this has a 50/50 chance of working for u. Some ppl have tested it and got some good reduction from 800- 250 ping. I tried it  and got nothing but a increase of 50-100 ping, so this program will either help alot or do the complete opposite.

I recommend trying this out of u are having really bad ping. But only activate ( connect ) this while playing Perptuum for security purpose.

Im still testing mine atm hmm

PingPlot Standard is the program that the OP used for that neat graph or w/e u call it.

Gryffon VonSerrng wrote:

What is the name of the software? Anchorfree is the company. The only software I saw was Hotspot shield which says nothing about being a VPN. It talks about protecting your website and advertising.

Yeah all I can see there is Hotspot Shield too.  What gives?

I didn't try it personally, but as far as I can tell Hotspot Shield is the VPN software, they just advertise it as a privacy protection utility.

I tried this. I suggest you do not install it - it is adware of he worst kind. It intercepts everything from your browser and replaces it with ads. Good luck in trying to read anything else. Like a virus it installs drivers and hidden startup services. It intercepts all traffic from your network card and reports/passes it through some unknown server (yes, I know how VPN works and this is not it) therefore nothing is private. Uninstalling does not help much - you have to clean it manually out of the registry and wipe it off your disk.

seems like a common problem, i play a few games around the world and dont get the same probs as i do with perp. when i lost my bot again my ping was fine, but it does spike from time to time. why put up servers up that cant handle the distant? any one got any other ideas on what we could do to over come this???

Sprocket wrote:

seems like a common problem, i play a few games around the world and dont get the same probs as i do with perp. when i lost my bot again my ping was fine, but it does spike from time to time. why put up servers up that cant handle the distant? any one got any other ideas on what we could do to over come this???

Most games don't rely on having a low ping or high FPS to keep the game flowing smoothly. Those games however tend to be snorefest theme parks or incredibly expensive server farms.

To reduce ping the only thing you can do is live closer to Hungary on a stable connection. The server is table to handle connections that are stable up to around 200ms of latency. However this usually means the jitter will be around 50% at times which could cause the odd D/C.

The servers not unstable but it would be nice if it was more capable of handling unstable connections. As much as the Devs say packet loss does not effect the client I really feel it does. I did tests by dropping the odd packet and it seems if you drop an important one a few times the server thinks you're done and closes the connection. It's not a big issue but would be nice if it could be addressed.

I AM NOT A GM™