Re: How to keep PvE oriented population - Achievements

The relations were a cobbled mess with half-fixes and left overs from the beta.

But I agree, any acheive that provides ingame power will have the same balance issues that any items has. It's either going to be a must have or useless. There never seems to be any middle ground in balance.

So do we just not implement anything new, because nothing can be balanced?

Also, balancing something that solo players can acheive with something that corps members can help each other with is going to effect balance.

Personally, I like the idea of acheives just giving vanity stuff, that effects the psychology of the game smile

Gief achievements. I luv them.

28 (edited by Syndic 2011-09-14 21:10:36)

Why does it have to be something that gives in-game power? Why not something like a vanity-trophy item?

EDIT: To explain a bit more clearly.

Warhammer had a nice Tome of Knowledge system where in-game achievements gave you vanity trophies you could equip to customize your character, nothing like a tyrannos skull bouncing on a kain's hip.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

DEV Zoom wrote:

We are planning to bring achievements in some form, but we're still in the middle of figuring out what the rewards should be, rare items, small permanent buffs, or a combination of these.

I'm a bit indecisive about Hugh's point, but I'm leaning towards including "everyday" achievements (even if only as a lower kind), since alone the goal of killing a thousand NPCs is an achievement in itself. Despite it's something the game "requires" you to do, reaching that goal means you played that far, and it provides you some kind of approval and bragging rights.

Rewards for achievements are a bad bad bad bad bad idea. Especially if they're of the permanent buff variety. Bragging rights are more than enough.

Lana Torrin wrote:
0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

meh...just work on something else actually more content related.

God im agreeing with binary face... Achievements in a sandbox game are kind of odd as you are doing everything for a reward already..

When referring to myself please write out my full name...we don't want to get the slow ones confused.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

I do not think a robot with a different skin or some faction ammo as rewards are power items, but vanity only rewards are fine too.

Industrial Junkie

Any kind of achievements (If they will be implemented anyway) should be hardly masked - like a Syndicate Special Tasks for example, and probably linked to a storyline - that will make them more interesting than just achievements board like on most of the games. And rewards - how about some exclusive syndicate prototypes of stuff? Maybe even with random properties to prevent "must grind" situations.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

What happend to this idea btw?

Even MS is using this in production tools to motivate programers...

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/20 … ievements/

Dan wrote:

Rare items = forced grind(but players could live with that), permanent buffs = Dear GOD! I MUST GRIND IT! (hell no!)

I have to say I strongly agree with this.  Having PvE achievements is great if it encourages people to play but lets not make it a compulsory grind for those who want to stay competitive in PvP.  Perhaps if you would like an actual reward for PvE achievements, have bonuses which are only relevant in PvE.  For example, sparks that improve your damage against NPCs only or something.

tldr: Please don't force people who play this game for the PvP to grind 1000 mobs.

+1
-Confucius

35 (edited by Rutuli 2012-01-25 06:36:36)

Obvious reward is obvious. Sparks!
Maybe mk2 bots, t4 mods or even nic rewards, after all most ppl pve for pvp, should be a bonus or motivation, not a must have.

Achievements should be bragging rights if they are implemented. That would be cool actually.

Keep it vanity.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.