Re: Interactive Story based on Perp. This is not a joke; please read it

HMMM interesting this is... closely watching i shall be.

*pop corn*

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Um...this guy is probably one of the best trolls.

This guy has nearly everyone going.

+1

Reasons I say...if you have a deal, for reals moneys, you don't go blabbing about it on the forums...if said deal isnt actually completed.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

28 (edited by The Omen 2012-01-23 07:49:32)

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

Coming from TOG...this thread is freaking EPIC!!!!

Stupid Carebears.

How about you get your *** together and make some noise.

Just because Gharl has TOG corp tags on doesn't mean this is the view or opinion of the Corp roll

Also Gharl no we don't hate you smile
Good on you for trying something and expressing your own opinion big_smile

Basically, good idea.

31 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-23 11:43:17)

I'll admit it. I'm a simple man so I need this explained again in really short sentences.

If I understand correctly you want to make a fan-fic of Perpetuum but the contents of the fan-fic will be based around player interactions such as battles or key events?

Back when I was in M2S this was a daily occurrence. Siddy would, while roaming, regale us stories of battles. Usually with much voice acting and swear words.

Amusing none the less. Honestly this is more a form of advertising for Perpetuum. I, myself, would not be purchasing a copy of any Perpetuum fan-fic. I am also subscribed to "Sequer Monthly" and "Two Rivelers, one Titan Field"

Best of luck to you. Sadly putting "No Joke" in the title made it hard to take seriously.

There's plenty happening, your just not hearing about it.

When Grem was trying to do his political section of his podcast, even he had trouble getting other corps to talk about what they are doing, and he's a lot more connected into the Perp player base.

I suspect there will be lots of skepticism as to the reality of this, until they see something in e-print. At that point, you'll probably get more stories than you know what to do with.

Alexander wrote:

Back when I was in M2S this was a daily occurrence. Siddy would, while roaming, regale us stories of battles. Usually with much voice acting and swear words.

Those were the days...

Too bad m2s is no more. Perhaps the terraforming will get people out of woodworks, and i can start to make new legends.

So quiet in the forums today, a little more storytelling would liven it up!

Siddy wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Those were the days...

Too bad m2s is no more. Perhaps the terraforming will get people out of woodworks, and i can start to make new legends.

If PBS and Terraforming does anything but create whine, discord and strife I shall be amazed. BUT if that day comes and the player base plays the game as it's meant to be played (At each others throats, much higher than where they're aiming now) then I look forward to much "Siddy did.." This and "Oh god, Siddy was.."

I AM NOT A GM™

Alexandra wrote:
Siddy wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Those were the days...

If PBS and Terraforming does anything but create whine, discord and strife I shall be amazed. BUT if that day comes and the player base plays the game as it's meant to be played (At each others throats, much higher than where they're aiming now) then I look forward to much "Siddy did.." This and "Oh god, Siddy was.."

Remember minecraft drama?

I vote for wikipedia mode for PP history.

38 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-23 23:30:36)

If this were to go ahead 'I' would cese to engage in Perpetuum  as a player and would as such request feeback, as biased as you like, from players and player groups.  The inate cynicism and skepticism of experienced game communities is one of the variables being evaluated.

EDIT: Also, do not take this as any kind of insult whomever you may be but I and my editors have read all of the Perpetuum fan fiction on offer; the is motivation and a smattering of content.  More is required to make readable stories. 

Another question for the forum warriors; would a character driven narrative or a graphic novel format be preferable; both are options at present.  What other languages would be needed to reach the player base; French is not a concern, if a language based in the cyrillic text were used then there would be only one.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

39 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-01-24 08:23:22)

Gharl Incognito wrote:

If this were to go ahead 'I' would cese to engage in Perpetuum  as a player and would as such request feeback, as biased as you like, from players and player groups.  The inate cynicism and skepticism of experienced game communities is one of the variables being evaluated.

EDIT: Also, do not take this as any kind of insult whomever you may be but I and my editors have read all of the Perpetuum fan fiction on offer; the is motivation and a smattering of content.  More is required to make readable stories. 

Another question for the forum warriors; would a character driven narrative or a graphic novel format be preferable; both are options at present.  What other languages would be needed to reach the player base; French is not a concern, if a language based in the cyrillic text were used then there would be only one.

i think the main language of need is Zulu, there are just so many of them in this game.... tongue failing that I like pictures so a graphic novel wins for me \o/ big_smile

im a simple man with simple needs!

also if drama is needed i have vast numbers of Llamas at the ready!
http://s1.static.gotsmile.net/images/20 … 697069.jpg

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Gharl Incognito wrote:

OK (sigh) I will bite.  First, most of the Beta groups realize that we can't put undue pressure on any other Beta group.  CHAOS leaned on Squid for 1 week and 2/3 of their player base quite the game.  M2S begged us to NAP with them and not take their precious SAP cans and give them time to rebuild their player base.  MORTE, has run from skirt to skirt for protection as one group quits in mass and another group opens up to them. (no offense, I would do the same to live on Beta).

Here are the issues that underline all the great story lines that you want to see.  The game board is too small for groups to be at each others throat.  If one island is TRULY assaulted, where is that group going to go when over run?  If there really is bad blood, the advancing group will spend the 15 min required to go to the other end of the game board and hit them there again.  If they are forced to Alpha, well look for 50% to stop subbing.

We talk every day about putting enough pressure on a group to get epic fights but not leaning on them so hard that they stop playing.  Good luck making a story out of that!  We want the game to grow....the land mass to get so vast that a group can choose to go to a corner of the game board that is so far away that the bad blood motivation is not strong enough for an opposing group to take the time to follow.  Groups live on BETA because others let them, not because they have the group to earn it....sorry but that is the facts.  One month of trying to break any group on Beta would be 100% successful to the attackers, and 100% successful in lowering the payer base.  Then everyone looses.

There is no story.  We play a game with huge potential, but little room.  My advice is to wait for the potential to be realized before you look for an EPIC story that takes place in a game the size of one city block.

IMHO

41 (edited by Arga 2012-01-24 19:48:17)

Takeo

I agree with most of your assessment, and that pushing fights will push players out of the game.

Players that want battles, will drive as far as it takes to do it however, even if it takes all week to setup. So I'm not sure JUST more space will solve it. The new space is going to need a couple things to work.

The new space will need the focused attention of who ever is moving there and require it for an extended period. Meaning that the new space shouldnt be someplace to run to, but a place that the more powerful corp wants to take and hold, leaving the less dangerous existing space for other corps to gather strengh. Since there player base isn't there, it would have to be some type of NPC defense, something that would take time and effort to win. Something like NPC's drop items that you have to get 10,000 of to unlock the station, which will allow the corp to dock, but then another stage to open PBS, and then needing to defend that against NPC's. And of course, the whole time PVP can be happening on that space too, but the key is that players that want to fight are getting to, while corps or players that are on the fence (can't be pushed) are given time to rest up.

tl;dr - The game needs a challenge for established corps, if that challenge is new space, that will work.

Edit; Oh, and whatever is there, should be Fun not just a long grind; yeah, tricky smile

Arga wrote:

Takeo

I agree with most of your assessment, and that pushing fights will push players out of the game.

Players that want battles, will drive as far as it takes to do it however, even if it takes all week to setup. So I'm not sure JUST more space will solve it. The new space is going to need a couple things to work.

The new space will need the focused attention of who ever is moving there and require it for an extended period. Meaning that the new space shouldnt be someplace to run to, but a place that the more powerful corp wants to take and hold, leaving the less dangerous existing space for other corps to gather strengh. Since there player base isn't there, it would have to be some type of NPC defense, something that would take time and effort to win. Something like NPC's drop items that you have to get 10,000 of to unlock the station, which will allow the corp to dock, but then another stage to open PBS, and then needing to defend that against NPC's. And of course, the whole time PVP can be happening on that space too, but the key is that players that want to fight are getting to, while corps or players that are on the fence (can't be pushed) are given time to rest up.

tl;dr - The game needs a challenge for established corps, if that challenge is new space, that will work.

Edit; Oh, and whatever is there, should be Fun not just a long grind; yeah, tricky smile

+1
Well summed up big_smile

Plaeyers 'Takeo Prime' and 'Arga'; thank you for rationalised comment.

ed.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

44 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-01-25 04:05:24)

imho i say if you want good stories the past is full of them tongue

coz i cant see epic battles between good & evil happening any time soon in perpetuum... game is to small. both population & world size as previous posters have said.