1 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-23 03:44:17)

Topic: Interactive Story based on Perp. This is not a joke; please read it

So, I took a small break for personal reasons,RL stuff(christ I hate deadlines), but now I'm thinking of coming back... and I've had a horrible realisation: If you don't stay in Perpetuum constantly the sheen slowly vanishes.   Firstly, I love this game; I love the world, the bots the people who play(even the ones I troll)... I love it all... more then anything I love the creative potential.  So, what's happened to me?

I'll let you in on a secret, I approached Avatar Creations proposing a dynamic story concept that would feed off the goings on within the game world.  A.C. would of course retain full editorial discretion vis a vie the content but the concept was, when reduced to total basics, the creation of an interactive, charcter driven story.

With a wary and justifiably conditional nod from David Maros I put together an exegesis outlining a dynamic plot in which the games population and developers would form the characters and hence dictate the plot.  Once completed I took said exegesis to my publisher and we harangued back and forth over details, mainly the fact that the story was, in theory, never ending.  The end result was positive...  until now.

I've come back after a very brief break and nothing is happening; there are no more epic battles, no more wresting control of territory.  The Super Pacs here make the U.S. electoral process look like a sewing circle.   

To the Players:  Stop being kissing cousins! Get out there and act like you want something more then Sid Meier in Space.  PvPers... you're the god damned conflict... get on with the internal betrayal and make it bloody!

To the Devs:  Why is everyone getting Syndicate protection when they have their own island holiday home.  They want independence then make them take it with blood and oil!  I have a plethora of justifications for it and they work within the present game mechanics.

I was going to send this as a private email but it's as stale as week old bread in here.  There are plenty of MMOs around and none of them have what Perpetuum does; minimal back story, an unlimited time frame unimpeded by causality and a population that is by and large intelligent enough to engage in a dynamic story.  Perpetuum is a Fort Knox of untapped creative potential.

The purpose of this comment is to gauge the reaction of the community, both players and staff.  If you wish to 'troll' this post please keep it brief as I shall not be the only one reviewing it.  Interactive stories have been attemptedf before and have usually failed under the weight of preconception; Perpetuum does not suffer that burden.

To TOG members; I am deeply sorry if you feel that I have used you as a 'focus group' of sorts.  If I do end up back in this game I honestly hope you'll let me stick around.  If not then kill me for all you're worth.  Either way you have my thanks.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

Re: Interactive Story based on Perp. This is not a joke; please read it

I think a lot of the super blocks have collapsed and there is plenty of good pvp going on. I see the gf's every night now and even some not so friendly banter when people run away tongue

I dont understand, but welcome back big_smile

(Sorry I really dont understand, my enlish not enough good for that.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Perpetuum is what it is. Completely driven by players but many players aren't drive to achieve anything by the game.
There is a lot of doing -exactly- the same thing which a lot of games suffer but most them use story or conflicts to spread this apart.

Even PVP is very 'Samey' in Perpetuum but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'll be honest. I have little urge to PVP because I don't feel I have the time to be involved in it. Slowing the progression of the enemy feels like a waste of time when I could be improving my wallet/assets. I don't have time for full scale 24/7 PVP which is what Perpetuum usually requires to maintain a high beta profile.

Perpetuum is a very good game but I agree, once you're away from it for a day or two.. the addiction quality isn't there any more and you start to see it from what it is. But I keep coming back! smile

5 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-22 16:17:54)

'Alexander you're character is as valid a part of the story as the robo-jocks that kill.   Greed and jealosy are classic motivations for conflict; your multi-billion NIC deal to shift x Units of Epitron may just boil the proverbial blood og your Alpha based compeditor so mch that he'd risk his Syndicate protection staus to hire Mercs ordered to destroy your miner fleet whilst they travel on a Syndicate protected highway...

The Miners are destroyed and the Syndicate owes you an explanation... who is to blame?  The Mercs did the deed, no more protection for them, no more Alpha islands... but how to take revenge on the one who hired them... you sneakily bribe his transporters.... suddenly his weeks supply of Titan ore is in your bunkers not his... "oh, and we just plum lost the paperwork"

Conflict is everywhere... it' doesn't need guns... it just needs lattitude.

And Alexander... why's Epitron so valuable?  Why are the Syndicate corps so so keen to aquire all the Plasma they can?  What is that laser the fires into the sky?  Tinfoil hats, tinfoil hats...

Gharl Incognito wrote:

To the Players:  Stop being kissing cousins! Get out there and act like you want something more then Sid Meier in Space.  PvPers... you're the god damned conflict... get on with the internal betrayal and make it bloody!

Stopped reading at this point. I just cant stand people telling me how I should play a game, specially one as open ended as Perpetuum.

RIP PERPETUUM

7 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-22 17:25:02)

Celebro wrote:

Stopped reading at this point. I just cant stand people telling me how I should play a game, specially one as open ended as Perpetuum.

Above we find the essence of the problem:  Celebro, the game tells you how you must play; it is not a choice you have.  The concept behind what I spoke of was to make that process dynamic, to alllow the player to tell the game how to behave through interaction.  Interaction as opposed to obdurate head burying; this is a sandbox after all... do you really want your head to be under it?

Maybe you concept is not clear to me. I make choices every time I play, don't you?

If you are talking about role playing, I don't really care that much. Epitron is valuable because its hard to get in a pvp zone. I don't care for a fictional story to tell me why.

RIP PERPETUUM

Gharl Incognito wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Above we find the essence of the problem:  Celebro, the game tells you how you must play; it is not a choice you have.  The concept behind what I spoke of was to make that process dynamic, to alllow the player to tell the game how to behave through interaction.  Interaction as opposed to obdurate head burying; this is a sandbox after all... do you really want your head to be under it?

-1 I like the Themepark with a sandbox title.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Coming from TOG...this thread is freaking EPIC!!!!

Stupid Carebears.

How about you get your *** together and make some noise.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

Stupid Carebears.

I can hear the clattering of syntec gear in the distance, on alpha.

Stupid Carebears.

The only noise they know how to make is the clattering of pen and paper to write petitions to eliminate the conflict drivers..........

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:

Stupid Carebears.

The only noise they know how to make is the clattering of pen and paper to write petitions to eliminate the conflict drivers..........

OFFICIAL STATEMENT:  I have personally let go my vendetta aganist TOG, and even informed Omen if he chooses to move to Beta We(Immortal Legacy) would not grief them on a daily basis.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM TOG: Our arkhe swarm is standing down, we humbly accept Ville's act of compassion and mercy.  We here by formally claim that Karapth station will be our new home.  Thank you for your time, and mercy in this on going issue.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

Ville wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

Stupid Carebears.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT:  I have personally let go my vendetta aganist TOG, and even informed Omen if he chooses to move to Beta We(Immortal Legacy) would not grief them on a daily basis.

I could care less what TOG does until a toggie posts crap like Gharl's. All the pissing and moaning about things that effect pvp and they aren't willing to get off their butts to do a damn thing other then alpha it up...... It is just insane that anyone in TOG is complaining about anything even remotely related to pvp or beta politics when they were among the group that decided the devs don't know how to handle their own game and wrote a petition that caused a comedy of banning and unbanning which drove a corp that was driving pvp on beta to rage quit..........

TLDR-- Gharl quit complaining about a problem your corp helped create.....

Inappropriate signature.

I petition to change the OP to, "This is a Joke; please don't waste your time."

The comic relief on this one is just too much to handle.

Great laugh for a Sunday tho.  Bravo.

Just Sayin

17 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-22 20:24:06)

Scyylla - which alt to you use for pvp?

@OP: nice try, but most of the forum player here are to dumb to get what you are requesting there.

like a quote from a german song:

Annette Luisan wrote:

Although I do not know what it is exactly,
but I'm against it

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

@OP

The feel your having for the game, is because your intel is limited. Check the kill mails, there is conflict occuring all the time, however its now all about just wanting to blow up bots and not some larger political agenda.

If there is a larger story available to players, which I haven't seen, then the way to activate it is to have a town meeting with the players that can help drive it; for instance CEO's from the corps that currently own outposts.

Your OP seems to indicated that you have some sort of 'special' meta-relationship to the game, unless that is somehow supported, your not going to get the cooperation of any one in game. If this player driven dynamic story is just you taking what happens and serializing it for publication, then you'll just have to wait until something happens, because Perpetuum power leaders tend to dislike taking direction from anyone (but even less likely from someone that hasn't bulit up any respect in the game).

Annihilator wrote:

@OP: nice try, but most of the forum player here are to dumb to get what you are requesting there.

Annette Luisan wrote:

but I'm against it

My pvp toon is pretty obvious if you look at the killboard or have any knowledge of Homer's Odyssey. tongue
Of course there are minor spelling variations from the original work with both my toons.

I "get" what Gharl is wanting to do but I take issue with the statement he made regarding the players:

Gharl Incognito wrote:

His corp is one of the most vocal whiners whenever there is a change that makes beta worthwhile to live on. They see it as a nerf to alpha and not a stimulation and motivation to go to beta. TOG complains about any boost to beta, refuses to interact with beta (a few small exceptions here and there with light bot roams by 3-4 members and failed attempts to ally with existing beta corps because TOG won't do anything but exploit the resources and not defend the territory) and then has the nerve to ask where the conflict is..........

The conflict is there. Your just not involved in it......

Inappropriate signature.

See what happens when the server is down...all hell breaks lose on the forums.  fuuu

Just Sayin

Bow chicka bow wow!

See what happens when the server is down...all hell breaks lose on the forums.  fuuu

Hell????? This is a little slice of heaven! big_smile

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Annette Luisan wrote:

but I'm against it

My pvp toon is pretty obvious if you look at the killboard or have any knowledge of Homer's Odyssey. tongue
Of course there are minor spelling variations from the original work with both my toons.

I "get" what Gharl is wanting to do but I take issue with the statement he made regarding the players:

Gharl Incognito wrote:

His corp is one of the most vocal whiners whenever there is a change that makes beta worthwhile to live on. They see it as a nerf to alpha and not a stimulation and motivation to go to beta. TOG complains about any boost to beta, refuses to interact with beta (a few small exceptions here and there with light bot roams by 3-4 members and failed attempts to ally with existing beta corps because TOG won't do anything but exploit the resources and not defend the territory) and then has the nerve to ask where the conflict is..........

The conflict is there. Your just not involved in it......

Or my personal favorite is selling arms to enemy alliance while in an alliance.  Never got how you would sell some one something so ťhey turned around shot up your miners with the bots you sold them.

As fellow alpha resident, not going into pvp, i support his statement here:

To the Devs:  Why is everyone getting Syndicate protection when they have their own island holiday home.

This is something regarding alpha islands - so are you forbidden to talk about it since your a beta dweller

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

25 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-23 03:25:57)

I tried employing a measure of subtly in my speaking to the players, I also asked that those prone to aggressive response show a little restraint.  Both appear to have fallen short of the mark; that being the case I'll speak plainly.

I have been working on an interactive story concept based in the Perpetuum game world.  It would require significant input from the player base, both active and passive.  This interaction would be needed not to direct the players but to take direction from their actions; put plainly you would give me orders.

I have already put together a solid and concise exegesis mapping out the concept.  This is predominantly concerned with expanding on the existing Developer created back story and selecting specific players and player factions to form the story base on a month by month basis.  My regular illustrator is also quite keen on including a graphic novel element as well as the standard narrative(any excuse to draw giant robots) though the cost my prove untenable.

The crux of the matter is I have conditional approval from my publisher to run this as an 'e-zine' (online publication for those who've not encountered the term) but the condition is that my editors are satisfied the game environment offers enough variety to maintain a minimum of quarterly publication.

Again TOG members, really really sorry to take advantage of your kindness.  Your help has been invaluable and shall not be forgotten should the project go ahead.

Development Team:   You should have received an email from my 'money man' regarding creative licence; it favours Avatar Creations heavily.