Topic: CEO change mechanic

As far as I know there are corporations where the CEO has gone missing and currently the only way to return to normal operations is to pack up the corporation and create a new one from scratch. It's probably not hard to imagine that this can be very tedious the more members and the more assets a corporations has, so a CEO change mechanic has been needed for a long time I think.

Here is how it would work:

• Deputy CEOs can click an option like "I wanna be a CEO"

• This starts a 24-hour timer

• At the end of the timer, the Deputy CEO becomes the CEO, the old CEO becomes a Deputy CEO

• The CEO and the other Deputy CEOs can cancel the 24-hour timer at any time

• There will be a system notification for CEOs and Deputy CEOs if there is a timer in progress

• Trial characters can't run for the CEO role

Seems pretty simple, right? Now is the time to tell your opinion and point out any flaws the system might have smile

Re: CEO change mechanic

Needs to be atleast a two week timer.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

• 24h is way too short.

• what if all deputy CEOs are CEO alt agents?
    dep-ceo has full storage access which is  - for me - a reason not to give it out

• missing election system for corps of a certain sice...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You could make democratic corps and authoritarian corps where in democratic corps there's a vote and in authoriarian corps its just the deputy's who can cancel.

But the proposed system sounds good with ville's suggestion.

Sounds nice zoom.

6 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-01-20 18:16:22)

For the most part, my initial reaction is that it sounds reasonable good.  I think some tweeking is still needed, and tbh, I think 24 hrs is too short a time.  If someone goes away for a week on vacation, they could come back to find a coup has occured.

The other issue here is that if a corp does not have a deputy, then what?  Or if a CEO, now knowing he could be ousted, purposefully does not make a deputy CEO?  I'd hate to force a corp to accept some sort of predetermined structure, but maybe a way to deal with this is to require a corp over a certain population has to have at least 1 CEO and 2 Deputies.  This in itself may be a problem as well.

Another way of handling this is a corp vote, and for a CEO to be replace would require lets say 75% of the members who had been on the previous 7 days to vote in favor of the change.

Just some initial thoughts, but in general, yes, there needs to be such a mechanic.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

24 hour timer for Deputies to take over is fair enough.
Members with HR roles should be able to start a countdown for non-deputy members to become CEOs but there should be a 7 day countdown on it.

All countdowns are halted if the CEO so much as logs in (So we don't want to have CEOs having to check the list and cancel each member one by one!)

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

The other issue here is that if a corp does not have a deputy, then what?  Or if a CEO, now knowing he could be ousted, purposefully does not make a deputy CEO?

We could of course assign the option to other corporation roles too, but if you don't trust anyone enough in your corp to give out at least one deputy role, then why would you give the option to make you step down into the hands of a HR-manager for example.

In my opinion any CEO change mechanic makes only sense if you have anyone in your corp who you can give the role to. This requires you to arrange for the possibility that you get hit by a car or something, and yes, this security for the future involves some obvious risk too, but that's what you have to "pay" for this service. And if you are running some kind of dictatorship it doesn't matter anyway, the corporation will die with the CEO.

Alexander wrote:

All countdowns are halted if the CEO so much as logs in (So we don't want to have CEOs having to check the list and cancel each member one by one!)

Sorry I wasn't clear on this: there can be only one timer in progress at a time, for one member. If anyone else wants to be CEO, he has to cancel the running timer first and start a new one.

To be honest, I find it a bit long to wait two weeks to replace a ceo that has gone awol, how about when the dep-ceo hits "the buttan", the system checks for how long the ceo didn´t log on and if it´s
>60 days the timer is 24h
>30d <60d 48h
>14d <30d 72h
etc.

If you are too scared to lose the corp to a supersecret spy-agent, well, then don´t give him dep-ceo roles at all.
There doesn´t need to be any function to make the food-soldier the ceo.

Also, make the countdowntimers automatically stop/cancel when the original ceo logs on during the timer.
Don´t make the original ceo have to check if he possibly get´s demoted...

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

Sid from mining wrote:

To be honest, I find it a bit long to wait two weeks to replace a ceo that has gone awol, how about when the dep-ceo hits "the buttan", the system checks for how long the ceo didn´t log on and if it´s
>30d <60d 48h
>14d <30d 72h
etc.

If you are too scared to lose the corp to a supersecret spy-agent, well, then don´t give him dep-ceo roles at all.

Also, make the countdowntimers automatically stop/cancel when the original ceo logs on during the timer.

What if the CEO is an alt account who almost never has to login.

Otherwise good idea.

12 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-20 19:07:28)

Sid from mining wrote:

>30d <60d 48h
>14d <30d 72h
etc.

This is a good idea but after 1 months without a CEO people won't mind waiting 2 days to replace them than another month to replace them 24 hours faster. hmm

13 (edited by Gremrod 2012-01-20 20:13:21)

Once the new CEO takes over is the corp now based off the new CEO's corp extensions or still based on the founding CEO corp extensions?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Once the new CEO takes over is the corp now based off the new CEO's corp extensions or still based on the founding CEO corp extensions?

It's based on the new CEO's extensions and there should be an extension check beforehand, so the system only lets those deputies run for CEO who have the necessary level in corporation management for example.

24 hours is way too short. This will be abused and many ceo toons will be demoted while away for whatever reason.

The timer needs to be tied to the inactivity of the ceo. A ceo that hasn't logged in for 30 days or more should trigger the option to promote a new CEO. It would be up to a deputy to start the process at that point. The timer still needs to be increased to a minimum of 3 to 4 days at this point.

* side note while I am thinking about it: put a mechanism in place to inform deputy and ceo toons any time a member of the corp has not logged in for 30 or more days. Scrolling through a gigantic member list to look for inactive members is very cumbersome as it is now. Perhaps a weekly automated in game mail that lists every member that hasn't logged on in the last 30 days.*

Inappropriate signature.

The memberlist is already hard to use since you cannot identify alts...
I remember back in beta when BKK had much more member, with several multi-account player... it was a pain.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

17 (edited by Arga 2012-01-20 22:56:36)

At first, I thought 24 hours was too short too, then i thought about a little with what Zoom was saying.

You don't have to assign a D-CEO. If you don't then there's no risk of a coo, but as members, you know the corp your in has a single point of failure. As a memebr, that is the risk you take with getting involved with that corp, you CEO could go AWOL, but the CEO of that type of corp also isn't going to give out a lot of hanger acess either.

If you have a deputy CEO and trust them, they aren't going to just snag CEO from you just because. But, it could be that there's a legitamate reason for wanting to promote your DCEO to CEO, like while your on vaction for a couple weeks to Hungary for the Perp meet-up. In which case, you can then take it back after 24 hours.

So, a short mechanic is actually good. This can be true too if these future CEO based extensions are highly desirable, but your CEO account has 0 EP on it, you can transfer it to an account with more free EP.

CEO isnt 'god'. The title really doesn't mean much in most cases, if you lose CEO and get booted while your out on a 48 hour drinking binge, that's how the game works. Don't be such an *** to your co-playing dceos smile

tl;dr - If your a dictator, don't assign DCEO. If your a republic rule, then your DCEO's arent going to arbitrailly remove you. If lvl 4 corp is for CEO only, dont do that, and keep it on your personal account. If they are shared with DCEO, they coould empty it at anytime without the CEO tag.

edit: speeellling

18 (edited by Alexadar 2012-01-21 09:38:27)

If corporation so unorganized, and loosing CEO it deserve to suffer.

Just live it as it is

+1 for more corp controls of any type.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

20 (edited by Inda 2012-01-21 12:55:46)

I dont see a real problem guys, this is problem for any corp now? that was happen in the past?

I bet just 1 or 2 times.

And maybe that idea will bring more problems.

So I think dont do anything with CEO settings. Just go ahead another corp controls like capitalistic corp things, now that is a pain.

If you want to do something, for my idea: when CEO rage quit the game or seomething, if the game can verify he did it, just make a button for every member "do me a CEO" and the all members can cancel that for 1 week, if you are still a corp you can do this because most of the members who is active wont cancel if you dont have corp you cant do this because of lots of cancels, then you need to make another corp.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

very good idea in the basics!

but 24h is way to short. 7days at least should be ok. better make it a option that the ceo can set ingame.
i personlay think 14 days should be best. anything else can cause too much problems.

22 (edited by Sid from mining 2012-01-21 13:42:23)

Inda wrote:

I dont see a real problem guys, this is problem for any corp now? that was happen in the past?

I bet just 1 or 2 times.

And maybe that idea will bring more problems.

So I think dont do anything with CEO settings. Just go ahead another corp controls like capitalistic corp things, now that is a pain.

If you want to do something, for my idea: when CEO rage quit the game or seomething, if the game can verify he did it, just make a button for every member "do me a CEO" and the all members can cancel that for 1 week, if you are still a corp you can do this because most of the members who is active wont cancel if you dont have corp you cant do this because of lots of cancels, then you need to make another corp.

The problem comes with Perpetuums lack of player retension.
Our CEO for example didn´t log in for 82 days now. 2/3rd of the deputy CEO´s didn´t log in for over 50 days.
If the one remaining deputy CEO decides that some other game that shall not be named here is more fun for him, well then the corp is completely screwed in points of leadership (well, maybe not in leadership only, but that´s something else).

I bet there are a lot of corporations out there that either went completely inactive or their leadership went awol.

I guess the DEV´s could run a query on corporation leaderships and post some numbers here. If I had to guess, I´d say more then 50% of the existing corporations have a CEO that didn´t log in for 60 days or more...

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

i think this mechanic is necessary... with CEOs leaving the game (ragequit, inactivity or ban) you see established corp names going. Especially with outpost ownership, or especiall PBS that is an issue.

If another certain player-request for a  game mechanic change regarding industry get granted, closing a corp due to missing ceo could be very painfull wink

This change is better than nothing +1. 24hr timer seems reasonable. A quick fix than can be developed over time with more features, but lets not try and make it too complicated.

RIP PERPETUUM

simply - start with a longer timer and then adjust it if necessary.
Do not start with the shortest possible timer and start trying damage control after half of the player base has ragequit over it...