Re: Proximity Probes - Was this even though out at all?!?!?!?

I think it's need to nerf ERP.
Twice to be sure.

52 (edited by 0110011100001111001010001 2012-01-18 00:17:35)

Sundial wrote:
Arga wrote:

Sun: The detectors are hard to find, but not that hard. Putting a detector near an outpost that is used frequently, will just get blown up, and require you to spend another 8M NIC to replace it.... and that cat mouse game actually sounds interesting more than OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtkK3eijBso

Look fun to you?

HEHE take it literal!!!

Yea Nerfing ERP will solve this problem.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

53 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-18 00:19:09)

Inda wrote:

Other idea:

Makes the probes to bit worse, like dont get any info who is there and how many.
And make a bit more expensive.

Make them cheap and easy to find / destroy.

Problem solved.

Also they need to be limited.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

54 (edited by Kaldenines 2012-01-18 00:34:10)

Is the server coping with the load ok?  What if the population was of active people was 800 or even just 500?
Is this mechanic even technically viable?

p.s. please refund the costs of the probes when you remove them, the m2s corp wallet is now broke tongue

+1
-Confucius

looks like a successfull self-DDOS attack on the server.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:
Drahkar wrote:

I think a much better solution to limiting probes would be per outpost owned, not per corp.

The idea crossed our minds too, but that would very much limit their field of use, bar out small pirate squads and alpha corps, not to mention gamma islands with PBS where these probes would really shine in my opinion.

Easy solution:

Tie the number of Proximity Probes to outpost stability..... Gives us another reason to defend/attack a SAP.

Give the outposts an additional aura option for an increased amount of probes.

Non Beta corps--- They need in on the fun too so why not have probes available on a pilot basis and not a corp basis? Let the corp settings over-ride the personal ability to deploy if you happen to be in a corp that is an outpost owner.

Reduction of alt corp abuse-- you can hear a TP go off. Not sure I have ever heard someone show up on the radar. This means that someone has to actually have the "alt" toon logged in and constantly monitoring the radar display.

***I have yet to tinker with the new probes***

Inappropriate signature.

57 (edited by Arga 2012-01-18 00:41:20)

Ack, I no has access to youtube from work!

What images am I not seeing that look like no fun ... I hate network security!!!!

edit: also, I'm also not saying these probes don't need any changes, even beyond limiting the count, just that they need some deployed time, so they can get a 'solid' change, instead of a knee jerk changes. If we could play test them on a beta server first, that would be awesome.

Arga wrote:

Ack, I no has access to youtube from work!

What images am I not seeing that look like no fun ... I hate network security!!!!

Infamous "comb the desert" scene from spaceballs.

O.o

Mine sweeper module?

I think what he is saying is that looking for probes which you can only see 40m to 170m away is like combing the desert smile

+1
-Confucius

61 (edited by roBurky 2012-01-18 02:50:16)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Alright we talked about it some more and agreed that without any limits the system seems indeed overpowered. You may now herp some more asking how this could have happened, the truth is we are not perfect, deal with it cool

Our solution offer to the problem is to introduce a new CEO extension (around complexity 5-6), which will allow the corporation to control 1 probe per extension level. If this is in place, no other limitations should be needed.

Additionally we will also introduce another CEO extension (complexity 2-3) for the number of assignable users per probe. The base limit of 10 users will remain, and every level will add +3 users.

This sounds like an awful solution that solves nothing.

I can already see a way around it that leads straight back to the use of alt accounts. Except instead of each alt character watching one teleporter, each one will be in its own corp, with these skills trained, and its own bunch of invisible probes laid out.

I think the probes just need to be brought down to parity with alt scouts. Give them the sensor detection of an unboosted light bot, and the sensor masking of an unboosted light ewar bot. Let them be seen and destroyed.
Then it might not matter if people put them everywhere. They will still work as an early warning system, but not as near-permanent omniscience.

(Also: StateCorp says hi, Perpetuum!)

Played with probes for most of today and I must say I think you missed the target 180 degrees.

These sensors should be just the opposite of what you introduced.  They should be large towers with crazy hitpoints.
They should not be able to be set MORE than 1000 from a teleport or station.

Here is why:
Sensor probes should just alert you that someone has ENTERED your island.  If you have them set as you do now, and can track enemies while on the island, you take roaming PVP away from the game.

The sensor towers should cost about 50 mill, and have enough hitpoints to withstand a medium fleet pounding on it (and flagged while doing it) for a good 5 min.  The tower then stops transmitting until it is repaired, a task that also takes a bit of time and flags the repair bots for the task.

You need to be encouraging small gang PVP as you set up for a replacement for the silly arkhe alts on the gates.  What you have done is made roaming Intel too available and completely killed the reward of roaming a Beta island.

Before you scrap the whole failed masked sensors that you currently have, give this a thought.  Let every player have control of 1 current sensor that only he can see.  This would allow a fleet to tell one guy "drop one here and see if we are being cut off" or, run by that station and drop one to see who undocks.  Make the life of the "personal sensor beacon" either a timed 15 min life or make it as visable as a mech and just as easy to kill as you currently have them.  They would be a very nice "temporary" set of eyes, but ones that can be removed from hunting hostiles.

You borked this one too sad

63 (edited by 0110011100001111001010001 2012-01-18 03:29:48)

Takeo Prime wrote:

Played with probes for most of today and I must say I think you missed the target 180 degrees.

These sensors should be just the opposite of what you introduced.  They should be large towers with crazy hitpoints.
They should not be able to be set MORE than 1000 from a teleport or station.

I can agree with you kind of...just when they are dead...they are dead.

I see people comparing them to arkhe scouts...but with arkhe scouts when you ENTER a PVP zone you know if you were scouted or not.  Thats the deal breaker here...information is so key in this game, and you make a mod that gives information freely, with very little drawbacks.

I would rather see a thing that is seen on entry that has hit-points to stand up to a fleet.

Edit:
Timed ones seem viable.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

OK.. After tinkering with these probes for a bit I have come to the following conclusion:

THIS WILL KILL SMALL SCALE PVP!!! fuuu fuuu fuuu

I also agree with 99% of what Takeo said:

Time limit
Make them highly visible
No constant intel. More of a "hey I found something!"
Destroyable but with a decent amount of HP
Must be deployed within a certain range of a TP or outpost.

Inappropriate signature.

Another Idea:

Crazy I know:

Pull probes out of the game...

And...Drum Roll please....introduce a "Island chat"...if you really wana kill small scale PVP that will do it for sure, no questions asked.

The real deal is we need a way to either see if your detected, once the tower sees you, you can see the tower, or a CHANCE to get on the island undetected.

Just Sayin

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

Another Idea:

Crazy I know:

Pull probes out of the game...

And...Drum Roll please....introduce a "Island chat"...if you really wana kill small scale PVP that will do it for sure, no questions asked.

The real deal is we need a way to either see if your detected, once the tower sees you, you can see the tower, or a CHANCE to get on the island undetected.

One of the devs had this idea where you could see the tower before it could see you.

Imagine, splinter cell robots!

Except the towers are wallhackers and can see through solid objects. Hackers.

Limiting them just to corp will still allow the alliance to put enough of them on their own and on some enemy islands. How about to limit them per island? Says, 10 of them, no matter your or enemy ones. So you will need to find and destroy enemy ones to place your own if there is already 10 on island.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

or just make them highly visible But have a crap load of HP.... at least that way you might be able to sneek around a few.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

69 (edited by Drahkar 2012-01-18 12:50:23)

Annihilator wrote:

exploit more then m2s already does atm?

btw, login for me atm is so slow, i think the server is already overloaded from sending the position of every online player to most beta corp members out there...

LOL cry some more. The fact that you have such a stupid definition of exploiting makes any past and future accusations of it much less credible.

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

ah, drahkar... you missed the point. fuuu

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

71 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-18 16:30:09)

62nd now officially can see all of nia.

IS DIS OP?

EDIT:

I see that the probes have been removed... thank god!

what about having persistant, owned by no one, probes 1 at each teleport, 1 at each outpost & terminal....these probes need to be "hacked" to belong to someone or corp), but at any time (not at 8 hour intervals) can be rehacked by a different corp to gain ownership. (this could require 10 minutes of hacking, 30 minutes, whatever i don't know how to balance that) but the end-goal here is to have something else to "fight" over. that way anyone can utilize the probes.

kind of a "capture the flag" game with the probes?

And why not limit probe to corp owned area?  We have each island cut into several area, lets make use of them?
So you limit number with new extension, then you limit geographical placement by areas. That way a single corp could NOT scout every TP from its island, so for an island to be locked down must have whole corps of islands in the same alliance.  I can imagine too "walls" of probes at frontiers between two island areas...

This solution would solve everything:  no more aggressive use of probes.  Not more probes spamming.  No more "every TP locked by one corp"

74 (edited by Dazamin 2012-01-18 17:56:44)

What the hell is so wrong with putting scouts on gates / around stations to look for ppl. Seriously, ppl complain about Arkhe scouts then want an automated system that puts something thats harder to find, that sees much further, gives more reliable intel and never goes afk for a smoke on EVERY GATE AND STATION.

While we're on crazy ideas, how about a Teleport Diverter? So if I have a scout with the module fitted already on beta, I can put him say 3km from a TP and hit the button. I'm then stuck there for the next 5-10mins and unable to move, but during that time, my squad can use the tp but instead of landing on the scouted gate, they land on me?

Dazamin wrote:

What the hell is so wrong with putting scouts on gates / around stations to look for ppl. Seriously, ppl complain about Arkhe scouts then want an automated system that puts something thats harder to find, that sees much further, gives more reliable intel and never goes afk for a smoke on EVERY GATE AND STATION.

While we're on crazy ideas, how about a Teleport Diverter? So if I have a scout with the module fitted already on beta, I can put him say 3km from a TP and hit the button. I'm then stuck there for the next 5-10mins and unable to move, but during that time, my squad can use the tp but instead of landing on the scouted gate, they land on me?

As in "Hot-Drop-O´clock"? smile

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it