Re: Proximity Probes - Was this even though out at all?!?!?!?

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

Best solution?....Just SAY NO and get rid of them.  We have detectors, we have maskers, and scouts that can cover tele and strategic locations.

That's all we need, no arm chair easy buttons.

These eliminate arkhe scouts.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

I fully comprehend that.  What I am saying is that i  have to have an active CEO just to get those installed in the first place and there is more then one corp out there were deputy CEOs are running the  show due to mia ceos.

Right, it's high time for a CEO change mechanic anyway.

... No. Just no.

If you want to change your CEO, you can have your corp reform under another name and tag. The corp was made and is owned by the CEO.

If there is a CEO change mechanic, it should be optionally activated by the CEO himself before hand.

Anyway that belongs in another thread.

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

lol , this is so over power it epic !

Drahkar wrote:

I think a much better solution to limiting probes would be per outpost owned, not per corp.

The idea crossed our minds too, but that would very much limit their field of use, bar out small pirate squads and alpha corps, not to mention gamma islands with PBS where these probes would really shine in my opinion.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Drahkar wrote:

I think a much better solution to limiting probes would be per outpost owned, not per corp.

The idea crossed our minds too, but that would very much limit their field of use, bar out small pirate squads and alpha corps, not to mention gamma islands with PBS where these probes would really shine in my opinion.

Player built outposts could obviously also support a certain number of probes.

I'm not saying it's the only solution, just that a limit per corp seems like a quick emergency fix that wasn't given much thought and wouldn't be as balanced as it could be.

AXE JOKE ECORP N-A CIR

Arke scouts vs proximity probes?

They're essentially the same.

32 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-01-17 22:35:56)

No, they are not.  You have to have a client open for each arkhe scout, and actually be paying attention to each one, and then communicate to others on your comms .  With prox probes, 1 person can see everything not only on their island, but every other island that they are listed on the probes for, or 10 ppl can see each if all 10 are listed for all the probes deployed, and see it all on their radar, or the world map.

Not only that, but an arkhe scout has limited visablity range, whereas the probes allow you to track movement across an entire island or group of islands!

This is a HUGE differnece.

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

So they both track players, the probes cost more, the probes are more effective and they both kill the surprise factor in pvp and any viability of solo pvp.

Did I get that right?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Alright we talked about it some more and agreed that without any limits the system seems indeed overpowered. You may now herp some more asking how this could have happened, the truth is we are not perfect, deal with it cool

Our solution offer to the problem is to introduce a new CEO extension (around complexity 5-6), which will allow the corporation to control 1 probe per extension level. If this is in place, no other limitations should be needed.

Additionally we will also introduce another CEO extension (complexity 2-3) for the number of assignable users per probe. The base limit of 10 users will remain, and every level will add +3 users.

For this to work you also have to limit who can place probes as well as allowing the CEO to remotely destroy a probe.

You're also taking them away from freelance and new players but that's a fair. It's about time that corporations had their own extensions and upgrading them was a matter of NIC and resources/tokens/stuff to upgrade them.

If you're going to make CEO specific extensions for future corporation systems make them corporate based so hat changing in structure only effects future progression and does not cause further regression. smile

Unlimited number is obvious to change. Make the suggested change and then see how they end up working. Forums were full of OMG OMG OMG right after I 2.0 came out also.

My idea:

5-10 proximity probes / corporations

and you can use more when you have a Beta outpost when stability is better you have more.

The number because you can use that for be more safe where you live on Beta.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

37 (edited by Alexander 2012-01-17 23:24:54)

Arga wrote:

Unlimited number is obvious to change. Make the suggested change and then see how they end up working. Forums were full of OMG OMG OMG right after I 2.0 came out also.

And look how that turned out. Every outpost is at 100% apart from those being trolled.. So much free stuff is being pumped out of those SAPs smile

Adding mechanics really isn't doing the game the good I thought it would do. There are issues still with PVP scale, use of light robots, not everything being constructable and much more..

Next lets as.. Hmm *Pulls something out of a hat* some more islands and.. err.. *Pulls another idea out of the hat* critter spawns on alpha to watch hop about.

This needs to be disabled ASAP, and rethought.
WAY over powered.  Even with a limit of just 5, you can know any time when someone enters your island.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

WAY over powered.  Even with a limit of just 5, you can know any time when someone enters your island.

You do the same thing with gate arkhes. And I like a system to replace those...

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

Sid from mining wrote:
0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

You do the same thing with gate arkhes. And I like a system to replace those...

....and that takes accounts to do...a lot more effort.  OH and you can SEE them too...before they see you.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011

It just takes trial accounts and/or alts, it doesn´t generate any additional paid for accounts if you want to go there.
And I don´t call it effort to place an arkhe on a teleporter, keep the sound at 100% and minimize the client.

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

to bad they are gonna fix the "own corpmates showing up on ping-radar"

I'll take the blame for that one, simply didn't have the time anymore to add it before patch. I'll put it out tomorrow afternoon with some more client upgrades.

i thing you got me wrong there - that was no sarcasm.

with the omnipotence those probes got, i would prefer if they did not differ between friend or foe at all.
simply working like space marine motion tracker from "Aliens". Tell you that something has moved there - not less, not more.

if someone complains about the many pings he gets - noone told you to plaster 30+ proximity sensors all around the rather small world. With standard detection range from 1200m (sEWAR) to 2200m (mech, indu, heavy mech)
the 1km placement restriction is a kinda joke...

even the best stealthed bot ingame can be seen from 600m...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

but I want to use these to warn me of roamers while mining sad

They'll be deactivated before I can even get home to play with them. big_smile

44 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-18 00:11:21)

Ok.... Everyone raged when 62nd abused the broken mechanic where we would dock/undock a plated arkhe under Danarchov outpost before lockouts.

Now we can put a sensor under every single enemy outpost and watch them with absolutely 0 effort.

People who are saying this isn't completely and utterly broken have absolutely no imagination.

This mechanic is could be good in theory but is a complete and total disaster in this execution.

If you don't go back to the drawing boards on this one Devs, I guarantee you 62nd will exploit these mechanics until the forums are overflowing with rage fuuu

This mechanic needs more than a new extension / adjustment... Its needs a complete reworking/reballancing.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

Ok.... Everyone raged when 62nd abused the broken mechanic where we would dock/undock a plated arkhe under Danarchov outpost before lockouts.

Now we can put a sensor under every single enemy outpost and watch them with absolutely 0 effort.

People who are saying this isn't completely and utterly broken have absolutely no imagination.

This mechanic is could be good in theory but is a complete and total disaster in this execution.

If you don't go back to the drawing boards on this one Devs, I guarantee you 62nd will exploit these mechanics until the forums are overflowing with rage fuuu

Don't worry, there wont be any PVP to speak of, as everyone will know what everyone is doing all the time anyway.
+1 to the removal of these things.

Just Sayin

Alexander wrote:

Next lets as.. Hmm *Pulls something out of a hat* some more islands and.. err.. *Pulls another idea out of the hat* critter spawns on alpha to watch hop about.

I think we're all big boys here. I'd really rather see them have a beta server, but without that, they have to release stuff to us and let us see how it works. If they have to think, rethink, and over think everything before they release it, the game will simply die from lack of particiaption before anything gets done.

Sun: The detectors are hard to find, but not that hard. Putting a detector near an outpost that is used frequently, will just get blown up, and require you to spend another 8M NIC to replace it.... and that cat mouse game actually sounds interesting more than OP.

All these great ideas of how to use detectors, for both offense and defense... but its just like any other thought experiement, they are performed in a vaccum with limited number of variables.

exploit more then m2s already does atm?

btw, login for me atm is so slow, i think the server is already overloaded from sending the position of every online player to most beta corp members out there...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

48 (edited by Sundial 2012-01-18 00:15:40)

Arga wrote:

Sun: The detectors are hard to find, but not that hard. Putting a detector near an outpost that is used frequently, will just get blown up, and require you to spend another 8M NIC to replace it.... and that cat mouse game actually sounds interesting more than OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtkK3eijBso

Look fun to you?

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Other idea:

Makes the probes to bit worse, like dont get any info who is there and how many.
And make a bit more expensive.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Annihilator wrote:

exploit more then m2s already does atm?

btw, login for me atm is so slow, i think the server is already overloaded from sending the position of every online player to most beta corp members out there...

IT booted me and been trying to log back in for 6 minutes