Topic: Perspective on State of the Game

I have read quite a bit on these forums about lack of player-base, lack of market, etc.  These discussions often conclude one thing; lack of a sustainable game.  I would like to put forward a different perspective.

While I have never really understood the role-play approach to gaming, I think looking at the lore of this game and taking it to heart has something to offer.  The players “work” on a distant planet with large, exploitable energy reserves.  But, because the Perpetuum Project is still in its infancy, we represent little more than the advanced guard.  After all, energy transmission back to Earth hasn’t even come on-line yet.  We are simply laying the groundwork so that further exploitation of the energy resources can proceed. 

In this context, expecting the markets to be developed beyond a rudimentary level doesn’t make much sense.  Both the market and industry on Niaa are pretty much intended to be subsistence-level features at this stage of the Project’s development.  To expect them to be anything else is not really consistent with the “first on the beach” position that we, as the pioneering agents of the Project, find ourselves in.

Sure, it will be great when we have a higher population and both the market and industry became more vibrant.  But at the moment, the state of both is very consistent with the early stages of development of the Project described in the backstory.  The high rotation of new agents through the game also seems to fit as well; not everyone likes being a pioneer/settler.

I am not commenting on lack of advertisement, retention of playerbase or anything like that.  I simply feel that the devs do indeed have a plan for their game, it it consistent with the backstory, and will develop at its own pace.  While existence on Niaa may be sort of bleak, what do you expect when you partake in what is essentially an expeditionary force.  You can either choose to work through the "hard times" or not.  In an RP framework, I guess that would make you a bad employee that left because they couldn't cut the grade.

tl;dr – The current state of the market and industry seem to fit well with the world that the devs have framed for us.  Folks can either work with it or not.  To expect that both would be robust at the early stages of the Project’s development is asking for the world to be something that it has not yet evolved into.

Feel free to flame at will.

Re: Perspective on State of the Game

its interesting to note that the numbers online seem to be going up at a slow steady pace if compared to say a few weeks ago... (no hard numbers tho just observation)
http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

would be good to have a running graph over say weeks & months. But my internet skillz are not that good tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I see a market Full of needed T4 mods as well as some protos are showing up for what some would say, reasonable prices.

(10millish or something like that?)

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

Seems reasonable with the lore, but yeah I do see a market thats growing.

Is that since we threw off the shackles of our oppresive regime and embraced our new capitalist overlords?

Jelan wrote:

Is that since we threw off the shackles of our oppresive regime and embraced our new capitalist overlords?

Welcome to the way of the future!... can i now buy your loyalty?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Jelan wrote:

Welcome to the way of the future!... can i now buy your loyalty?

I've always been for sale, I'm a man of impeccable low moral fibre

8 (edited by Mara Kaid Pirate of Nia 2012-01-16 17:31:29)

Fibre is good for you, as it helps you pass stuff fast!