Topic: Assembled robots and the importance of bonuses

Hi. Ill be short

All we are know that hybrid robots, or "Assembled robots" is on their way to this game. To all who don't know: look to devblog.

At the moments robots have bonuses, what defining fit what you will fit to them. I guess you will fit 3 damage tuners to vagabond, or 5 ECM to artemis in very rare cases.

Do we need bonuses for hybrid robots? I doubt. It will broke the level of encapsulation, what in my opinion this system want to achieve.

I propose:

1. Remove robot bonuses from robot parts, when hybrid system will be introduced.
2. Add module restrictions to the leg and head slots. f.e. thelodica head "Avalon" can carry 5 electronic modules and 1 damage module. Nuimquol leg part "Elephant" can carry 3 armor modules and 1 engeneering module.
3. Add big number of different racial robot parts.
4. Restrict cross-race hybrids.

This will solve one very important thing: you will be able to make universal robot, to play solo game. And anyway in mass pvp you will have to make specialized robot.

Re: Assembled robots and the importance of bonuses

This is a nice idea and I like the idea of head and leg slot restrictions but at the same time it seems like it's the same as giving the robots parts bonuses.

Thelodica head "Avalon" could give a 5% per level of Thelodica Robot Cont. to Ewar Range. But Nuimqol head "Counter-Block" could give a 5% per level of Nuimqol Robot Cont. to Ewar Strength.

Slot restrictions and module bonuses work in much the same way except one allows you to fit whatever you want despite the bonus and the other locks you into a certain fitting (Which should be avoided).

The idea is to remove bonuses at all.
5% per level bonus can be replaced with rebalancing of extensions and extra slot.
I think, if you want to make robot bonus for you: assemble it by yourself.

I think, robot part should be like a framework with restriction.
I think, robot functionality should be assembled by combining modules and extensions.
I think, bonuses are redundant and just adding useless complexity to the game.

Sounds interesting and original, I like it smile

but then players with less extensions will have harder time competing with vets hmm

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Alexadar wrote:

The idea is to remove bonuses at all.
5% per level bonus can be replaced with rebalancing of extensions and extra slot.
I think, if you want to make robot bonus for you: assemble it by yourself.

I think, robot part should be like a framework with restriction.
I think, robot functionality should be assembled by combining modules and extensions.
I think, bonuses are redundant and just adding useless complexity to the game.

I think building your own robots out of pieces, rebalancing extensions, and limiting modules that robots can fit increases complexity and removes overall freedom.

It will further put focus on needing a specific robot for a specific task. It will mean that you need to remember a lot more fittings as you need to remember not only good combinations of robot parts but also the modules to use with them. While this increases freedom it also increases complexity.

If you then rebalance all extensions (Correctly) it will be a lot of work for the devs which isn't simple.

If you also restrict modules that can be placed in head and legs slots as well you're taking away freedom of choice. It's more shifting optional bonuses into set fittings. Knowing the enemy fit will be as much just looking at the hybrid robot parts.

I agree more freedom and removing complexity is needed but I do not agree with limiting robot fittings. Bonuses guide people to use a specific fit but does not require it. More mixed bonuses would be nice and more robots choice would also be nice. At the moment there are not enough visual difference when fitting robots. Rather than release more robots I think changing their looks based on player choices or fittings would be much better. Let people fit what they like and base everything on extensions and allow for customised robot looks the more extensions level you have in robot control.

Either way if Hybrids come I'd still prefer them to keep bonuses per robot part for now. I don't see this system being a big enough change to need adding. But it's a good idea to work on. If Perpetuum was in Beta I'd say it would be worth developing but now I am not so sure..

I have hugely mixed opinions on this. This is not meant to be a negative post or a positive one. Sorry if it sounds like either.

I would like to see "hybird robots" ingame.

My idea about that, bring a new extensions to use this and that will must be really expensive. Then you can made that robot but that robots will be really expensive also (oh i see rich and dont rich problem then you maybe can change not expensive just incredible long time to make it).Then for the DEV -s need found out what stat connect what body part of robot head, chasis or leg. Then just DEV s need to implement ingame and see what happen, and after maybe will do some rebalancing prices and thats all.

That will be good for see the game changing by own way witch is always exciting (at least for me).

After these you will see some really useable robots and that will be expensive and cant use all time just when you want. And see some cool looking robots just because cool looking and so on.

For example:
head: robotbonus, detection, masking, ew, ...
chassis: HP, accumulator ...
leg: ...

Maybe I am wrong needed to thinking about that more. So pls dont attack me just say that is wrong Inda.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Alexander wrote:

Bonuses guide people to use a specific fit but does not require it.

I agree, that this is a purpose of bonuses. That is why i request to remove them, because their functionality can be replaced by existing content: extensions and modules.

PP is very hardcore game. Here is no place for guidance like bonuses. I think, its hard to disagree.

Alexadar wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Bonuses guide people to use a specific fit but does not require it.

I agree, that this is a purpose of bonuses. That is why i request to remove them, because their functionality can be replaced by existing content: extensions and modules.

PP is very hardcore game. Here is no place for guidance like bonuses. I think, its hard to disagree.

Hardcore games also struggle to become popular and keep their heads above water. I like PVP and Beta islands being hardcore and if Hybrid robots are just for the elite players then it makes sense not to have bonuses but new players often by robots based on general rules. "This is a Thelodica combat mech that is good with lasers and resistances" where as the proposed system sounds like "This is a Thelodica mech that can only use laser weapons, weapon tunings and resistance armour."

Sounds like cookie cutter fittings on old robots. Hybrid robot parts need to not be "This is THE ONLY ECM setup worth using" because then we might as well just keep our Vagabonds. Even now I see Zeniths using ECMs just as well as Vagabonds. smile

9 (edited by Alexadar 2012-01-14 16:26:24)

Not Alex, i dont propose hard restrictions. I propose to have variety of slots for parts for each race, but their overall capabilities will reflect specific of race. For example, i want that nuimquol parts will have more repair slots that other races have, thelodica parts will have more armor resistance slots that other races have, pelistian parts will have more engeneering slots that other races have but all races will have parts with slots for race and non-race modules.
The specific is: racial parts have more racial slots than non-racial. I think this sounds reasonable.
Lets move further:
If player want to boost his own part, he will train certain extension what will improve certain fitted part. f.e. engeneering extensions for pelistian and so on.

^^ Part bonuses can be easily removed, because they are not reasonable for this simple and clear picture.

1. Keep all the bots in the game as they are. (Balancing such and such sure, just keep them in game)
2. Adding "Hybrids" with bonus's just give them a "part pool" to pull from.  IE: 20 Different heads, 20 Different Legs, 20 Different Mids.
3. Different Parts Different Bonus's.

All of this however will be a bit hard to balance...but STeve did it successfully, so can Perp.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

All of this however will be a bit hard to balance...but STeve did it successfully, so can Perp.

No they didn't. T3s were/are insanely overpowered compared to the rest of the ships.

The balance was made in cost.

Money doesn't matter in eve due to the huge population of bots.

Therefore balance failed.

Trap Card wrote:
0110011100001111001010001 wrote:

No they didn't. T3s were/are insanely overpowered compared to the rest of the ships.

The balance was made in cost.

Money doesn't matter in eve due to the huge population of bots.

Therefore balance failed.

Its all because STeve didn't nerf ERP's.

It needs nerf, Now.

On a side note, T3's are not OP in STeve, the reasoning you say they are OP is because people will invest MAJOR bling into a T3.  We are talking billions of ISK, and with that comes the just rewards.

Similar to a T4+ Mk2 Seth/Grohpo/Mes.  Well not really, but you get the idear.

This "idea" the OP brings up, in all honestly, just isn't viable right now in the stage of the game.  Its cool and awesome, just doesn't work.

Just Sayin
01000110 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01100101 01110010 01110011
smileneutralsadbig_smileyikeswinkhmmtonguelolmadrollcoolyarr

EVE is another game
PO should be unique, we all want fresh and good game
Few post earlier i proposed how to partially achieve it