Topic: Connectivity issue

Ok so, after installing game i ran through the character creation process no trouble. When i get to character selection and click to enter game however, I lose connection to the server. Not just the server but all internet connection. I am unable to connect any web sites via my browser etc. I believe this to be a DHCP error or somesuch but i am not receiving any error reports. My firewall does not appear to be blocking anything either. The only way I get connectivity back is to reboot the pc.
I am runnin XP with sp2. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Connectivity issue

That is a weird one.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

does your ISP block Torrent connections?

The Perpetuum connection is very similar to a torrent, and could be mistaken as one by your ISP. It should not happen anymore for a while now, but eventually your ISP is to strict?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I know my ISP throttle torrent downloads during peak hours but they dont actually block them. I did some digging around and discovered that WINXP service pack 2 has a built in setting that limits you to 10 concurrent connections. Its meant to be a security measure but it can also cause DHCP errors as it effectively shuts down your internet thinking youre under attack. There is a fix for it and I'll let you know if it works just in case anyone else gets same problem.

I´m sorry, but using a 10 year old operating system is kind of... pr0 smile

The ones saying "impossible" shall not disturb the ones already doing it

Sid from mining wrote:

I´m sorry, but using a 10 year old operating system is kind of... pr0 smile

Absolutely nothing wrong with winxp at all! This is the first game I have ever had a problem with, unlike the time I ran win 7 and had trouble with about 1 in every 3. So I'll ignore your remark

If you open a cmd window in XP and type "NETSTAT" it will show you all your IP connections... just to verify if your exceeding the 10 limit you mention.

yep i have the same problem like felcrowe,i also have xp home servpak 2. iwas thinking installing serv pak 3.yep mine just freezes and i have to shut down manually.

Well I tried the fix for the limited connections and it makes no difference, still losing connection when I try to enter the game. I did manage to connect via a 3mobile dongle so the problem either lies with my ISP or my network card. I have never had trouble with either before until trying to run this game. I see on the forums that several others have had same issue and it is still unresolved. I am of the opinion that the issue is with the client due to other people saying they too only have this issue with perpetuum.
Anyway, after entering game on my dongle I'll say I'm not overly concerned about connecting again. I would suggest the issue be looked into as it appears to be a common one and if people are expected to pay for the game it would at least be reasonable to assume a decent level of customer service and support.  It appears the game suffers from many connection/lag related issues from what I have read. I would also suggest a rethink of the minumum system requirements, my PC is way above spec and yet I found I had to run the game on the lowest settings just to get a decent framerate. Just a small point.

just throwing this out there, but Dongle = direct connection to internet while NIC connection goes through firewall/ISP.

If the perp client was causing an XP TCP stack issue, it would happen with both.

However, I have had a similar connection problem like you describe with Time Warner Cable on Win7x64. The last time it was while watching Netflix and I had to reboot both my netgear firewall and the cable modem to restore connection. It wasn't DNS, it was the firewall, since I couldn't ping the TW gateway. I'm not saying it couldn't be the Perp client, simply that I've experienced the same type of thing without the client running, and that at least for me, it was the firewall/modem communication causing the problem.

i dont think many people have connection issues anymore, they were pretty much resolved.. until next time!

Jelan wrote:

i dont think many people have connection issues anymore, they were pretty much resolved.. until next time!

Gonna have to agree with Jelan here (what is the world coming to!).

The issue isn't with Perpetuum. It is on your end somewhere.

I connect fine on Win7 64 bit and XP pro machines.

Inappropriate signature.

If you are running XP home Edition the client hates your fyi, well 6 clients hate you at one time smile

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.