Topic: searching for a game

Im searching for a game that meets my criterias:

• mmo
    shared world, not only a lobby

• pve and pvp

• action based
    twitch based, hack&slay elements, long dogfights. something like that.
    not walking/flying for hours that getting one-shot killed and having to start all over again

• scifi
    no ork&elf fantasy, no WWII. no uncreative setups.

• meaningfull pve
    no grinding the same ever and ever respawning in same place npcs for a quest loot or some XP.

• pvp not much different from pve
    If the reason to kill an npc or another player differs to much, one of it cant be fun. (one for grind, one for grief?)

• pve not beeing just the leveling ground for pvp sandbox endgame

• Crafting
    Crafting as something you can do, but not have to.  I dont like crafting where you always know 100% exactly what you will get at the end. Neither do i like where crafting is bound to P2Win shop...

its a long list of criterias, and i havent ever found a game that meets all of them. Its a pitty that Perpetuum only meets two of the basic criterias there... mmo and scifi sad

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: searching for a game

I don't think any mmo will fit  all your criteria, if you can narrow it down a bit. From your request I will assume twitch based action and scifi is important to you, only thing I can think of is vendetta online, it's an old mmo but it has good twitch based pvp/pve . Played it for a month or so seemed hard to get into, was fun, but don't like twitch based combat.

RIP PERPETUUM

Neocron fits most of your requirements big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

4 (edited by Gremrod 2011-12-25 02:20:06)

The Chronciles of Spellborn would fit the bill. But they shut that game down. sad

Well with the exception of the crafting....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Sounds like what Perpetuum 2.0 should be. tongue

yeah, would be nice.

i doubt that all elements are possible in perp.

• crafting in perp
    is not to simple but wasting about 50% of its potential to be intresting due to fixed item stats.
    crafting in diablo has more appeal to me

• pve
    theres so much potential and you know what i want to see (miss Tabula Rasa...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

yeah, would be nice.

i doubt that all elements are possible in perp.

• crafting in perp
    is not to simple but wasting about 50% of its potential to be intresting due to fixed item stats.
    crafting in diablo has more appeal to me

• pve
    theres so much potential and you know what i want to see (miss Tabula Rasa...)

Would love to see the NPC moving towards a outpost or terminal and groups of players helping fight of the attack. Kinda like TR.

Im miss TR so bad, fighting against hordes of thraxs.

Anyone want to buy the TR special edition box set? I have one.....

Got the TR collectors edition too, best game I've ever played smile
Really sad to see it get shut down, it was really awesome! sad

TR had some flaws... for example beeing pure themepark, and to much repeating grind. Bane troops beeing teleported 10m infront of the outpostgate felt kinda... "why didnt they just land inside?"

I didn't play it anymore when they finally added the exosuits... but switching between my Engineer with all his pets, and my commando with all those funny AoE weapons was many hours of fun and action.

And all the NPC spawn animations... like when those Tripod where falling from the sky and unfolding infront of you... Perpetuum is missing a good bunch of ACTION...

12 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-22 00:57:48)

Update.

In yesterdays Live Q&A session, RED5 Studios talked abit about their NPCs and the Gameworld. It looks pretty promising, especially the part where they said:

The player will expand their territory by pushing back the melding (the bad force) and that once stabilised area can also destabilize again. Also the NPC bad guy faction does not follow simple scripted routes -> they patrol around on random routes, reacting to what they meet on their way...
edit: npcs will also attack other npcs if they are archenemies (unlike perp...)

really promising... to bad its a sharded game..

13 (edited by Jake Logan 2012-02-17 13:32:29)

Had an idea for my own game in the back of my mine for years, but no one would play it..lol. It would be too realistic something I think I'd like my rules would be:
1) any cheats found for game will be immediately fixed, no cheats of any kind, the writers made a game to play, play it..
2" Realist is the key, if you die you die, there might be a save game for the 'easy' side we'd see.
3)players would have to rest, no running across continents forever, no one is a superman if you think you are it wouldn't be the game for you.
4)eating is necessary, not just after hard fighting, but at regular intervals, 'nutri-bars' for food in space flights, on fighters, on patrol, more real meals on board large ships, and yes this is all a futuristic game, but during those meals you'd get information and even missions.
5)ships would show damage and more damage less speed and weapons would work, be careful because everyone has the same rights, npcs and pilots, hurt them they slow down same for you, die, go back to graduation get a new ship and start again.

I'd expect a lot of whining about my game, people are spoiled and need to win quick, not going to happen here, but the graphics would be spectacular and the planets would come from real-space, a Nasa project giving away vids and pictures from the Hubble and its other satellites. Too bad I have no clue how to do it..lol.

Jake, there would always be a small group of people that would play a game like that, a total immersion game, or maybe call it a simulation instead. When the tech is here that allows wrap-around 3D, something like what you described will be written smile

Annihilator wrote:

Update.

In yesterdays Live Q&A session, RED5 Studios talked abit about their NPCs and the Gameworld. It looks pretty promising, especially the part where they said:

The player will expand their territory by pushing back the melding (the bad force) and that once stabilised area can also destabilize again. Also the NPC bad guy faction does not follow simple scripted routes -> they patrol around on random routes, reacting to what they meet on their way...
edit: npcs will also attack other npcs if they are archenemies (unlike perp...)

really promising... to bad its a sharded game..

I got my beta invite for FF. smile Not like I will get to play much because of work....

Earthrise just closed its doors  sad 

http://forum.play-earthrise.com/index.p … s-servers/

These sandbox games are just not popular

Pretty Hot wrote:

Earthrise just closed its doors  sad 

http://forum.play-earthrise.com/index.p … s-servers/

These sandbox games are just not popular

Has nothing to do with sandbox. It was do to poorly designed client/server code. The game has way too many issues with the client and beyond.

They clearly stated that they needed money to get things done and could not find investors.  The investors are not there because the genre is too risky.

Hey Gremrod - lucky bastard!

Annihilator wrote:

Hey Gremrod - lucky bastard!

big_smile tongue

21 (edited by Gremrod 2012-02-17 22:20:53)

Pretty Hot wrote:

They clearly stated that they needed money to get things done and could not find investors.  The investors are not there because the genre is too risky.

If you need money to get things done you should get the money first or don't do the project. Their client reflected poor coding and the lack of money.

That is why you don't try to publish any type of mmo game unless you know you have enough money to see it to the end and done correctly.

Sandbox still has nothing to do with why they are shutting down. One big factor could be that because of Interplay losing the rights to create the Fallout MMO. Masthead Studios was the studio working on it for Interplay.

interplay owes money to Bethesda because of the lawsuit outcome. So Masthead could be in the middle of it or because the project is canned they no longer have income to fuel ER.

Read: http://mastheadstudios.com/v13.html

If you will notice they started work on that project in 2009 and when ER was not complete. Not smart for an indie studio to try and pull off. If they had it would of been a good gamble for them.

But still makes be wonder what the FO MMO game performance would have been like.....

Sandbox or not. I would not invest in the game either If I was shown the client and its performance and the games low population.

22 (edited by Pretty Hot 2012-02-17 22:43:11)

You are awesome.  You sure showed me.

anyways, people are not touching the genre with a 10 foot pole

Pretty Hot wrote:

You are awesome.  You sure showed me.

anyways, people are not touching the genre with a 10 foot pole

Which genre? Sci-fi, sandbox, aim based shooter MMO?

Or all the above?

I think the future of MMO games will be the hybrid mix of Sand theme, like Archage.

It makes since to go this route since so many players burn through content faster then the developers and designers can create it.

The industry considers open worlds sandbox games, like La Noire and Grand Theft auto.

FFA, PVP loot sandboxes are like a subcategory of sandbox, but the term really just means non-linear and emergent game play - or open world if you will.

The content of a sandbox is more important for its appeal from investors, then just if its in the sandbox/openworld genre. GTA is a very successful franchise.

Gremrod wrote:

I think the future of MMO games will be the hybrid mix of Sand theme, like Archage.

Archage looks very intersting.