Topic: Continent!

It's time that Nia finally becomes a continent.
It's easy..just make all water between the islands land instead. And maybe this new land could be misty/radiated with high penalties to detection. No need for advanced terrain..just make it flat like a radiated desert.
I know this sounds like a quick fix..but I'm so sick of chokepoints. :-)

I know this has been posted about before, and I know the devs might even be working on it.
But what harm does another small topic do? ;-)

Re: Continent!

theres the loading issue between two map instances (1 island = one instance)
the DEVs already working on that since august or even earlier.

i would like to hear how much progress they made since then with the transition.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Egil wrote:

It's easy..just make all water between the islands land instead. And maybe this new land could be misty/radiated with high penalties to detection. No need for advanced terrain..just make it flat like a radiated desert.

I know this has been posted about before, and I know the devs might even be working on it.

One day someone will understand that no security on beta = no industry on beta = No one on beta but roamers = Some kind of :elitepvp: arena, which kills the rest of beta gameplay, and tbh I can go play Team Fortress or something for that kind of PvP.

+1 Egil, I hate chokepoints, perhaps security should be provided by something other than an arkhe on a gate?

+1 for Continent.
The continent, 50x bigger than current island, should be good start for POS warfare.

Heres continents for you. Your mining / farming ops can't be scouted, and no one wants to guard you with a squad everyday, so you mine / farm a few times and get ganked. You say f this and stop mining / farming there. Then :elitepvp: guys come on the forums and say wtf devs theres nothing to shoot at, its too easy for them to get away, etc, etc, and want security knocked down even further.

Or option B as someone just pointed out to me, Large Corps run 10 Detector alts along any borders or whatever.

The point is you can't just think about what you think is cool, you have to be realistic about how other players will actually play, which is almost always NOT how you want them to.

To be fair if we're talking about POSes and Terraforming, etc as part of this so you can somewhat defend yourselves then fine, but as the game is now, I really hope not.

There are already so many posts about not being able to defend outposts, now make the outpost a POS with real cost associated with losing it, and then there really is a reason to complain about needing 24/7 protection.

There's not enough players now to support holding the current number of outposts.

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE ContinentS INFACT ive been wanting them for umm most the time ive played this game lol. BUT! they need 2 things..

1. we need terraforming to building chock points.. dont like the large open plain that boards your enemy.... build a mountain range!
Wanting to invade your neighbors but dont want to walk 30mins to get around terrain? bulldozers forward! smile

2. failing terraforming. then the devs would need to make sure the continent is divided in a way that "natural" barriers are formed.

if either of those were in place (lets just all admit that terra forming would keep many of us in this game for a Bloody long time lol) then perpetuum would hit awesome sauce smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Dazamin wrote:
Egil wrote:

One day someone will understand that no security on beta = no industry on beta = No one on beta but roamers = Some kind of :elitepvp: arena, which kills the rest of beta gameplay, and tbh I can go play Team Fortress or something for that kind of PvP.

Are you saying that we should have riskfree mining on beta? Shouldnt it be a hassle? In need of detectors? Protection? ANYTHING than just eyes on a chokepoint. *sigh*

Eyes on a chokepoint is not great, but you need to give some chance to the guys mining, the fact their detector spots you 3k away makes no difference, and with out any chokepoints, you would need a stupid number of detectors to spot out any further than that. It's risk vs reward, but your risk when going to gank miners is not that high, so tbh neither should your reward.

Shielded miners? T1 fits? Masked? Protection?

Or is it only viable to have fully T4 fitted rivelers out?

My point is that there are always ways to adapt. Chokepoints hinders adaptation and makes the game streamlined and easymode. IMO

''Roaming gang on the island! Safelog miners and send out the blob!''
Works all the time. Fun stuff.. :-/

Egil wrote:

My point is that there are always ways to adapt. Chokepoints hinders adaptation and makes the game streamlined and easymode. IMO

so your idea of good pvp is ganking miners?

you really should go back to eve & play in worm hole space lol.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

the best shielded masked or protected miner isnt worth anythign if you need haul all that stuff to a known position witha transporter that is slow and needs the same, if not more pretection as the miner.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Egil wrote:

so your idea of good pvp is ganking miners?

you really should go back to eve & play in worm hole space lol.

F***. I kind of derailed this discussion into just miner ganking didn't I? The main issue was the chokepoints in general..why should it be so easy to see someone enter that big territory?
I'd rather go on an island unseen and maybe get a fun fight...than just be stomped by everybody and their moms.

And if you do have unprotected, easy to find miners out. I will of course blow them up. :-P

imo choke points r needed in a game like this . BUT!!!! having 4-5 per area is lol way to few yes.

island map we will always have this problem. continents the problem will still be there but being able to sneek around & bye pass the security should be easier.

tho lets be honest. we dont have continents at the moment so were just shooting the breeze here lol

i think the issue with the choke points is, that they are the entrypoints of the islands, not the eg. access routes to outposts.
lock down the teleporter = save island, save outpost.

So you have a mountain pass that works as a choke point between two areas on a continent.

How is that strategically different than a TP to another Island?

A detector bot at the choke point, or at the far side of the TP provides very similar warning.

If they were to remove protection on TP's between Beta Islands, with a 15 sec instability, that would simulate running through a mountain pass (PVP flag ignored).

I still think there are currently too many outpost, so adding a whole new continent would be a bad idea, but what if they add (2) more 'empty' beta Islands onto each Beta II with 2 or 3 TPs between them; but no 'external' TP's to alpha or other betas.

Thats basically the same thing as adding in a bunch more 'land' to the existing betaIIs.

If there are issues with this idea, those same issues would apply directly to a large land mass with choke points.

18 (edited by Celebro 2011-12-08 21:04:26)

Too many outposts? I think the more the better., more corps can have a chance at taking one. Even if some remain empty no harm in being spoiled for choice.

Edit: Btw I support   large continents +1

RIP PERPETUUM

19 (edited by Arga 2011-12-08 21:06:39)

More land mass can't really hurt now, since PVP is being centered around SAP's and available much more often, but putting in more SAPs actually dilutes the PVP again and just makes these sites loot pinatas.

The number of outposts shouldn't increase until there is pressure on the existing ones. If someplace like Moyar can get to 100% stability, then there's enough outposts for a pvp corp that really wanted to try to get one. They would probably need to have some Meta game policitics going on though, so as not to be just driven out immediately.

Edit: I'm not against the large land mass! There's actually a technical issue with it still I think, this setup would actually get us more land faster. And setup the possiblity that those empty Beta-2.5 Islands could be terraformed and built on at a later time. If they solve the technical issues, I'd love to see a huge continent added.

yes, the tactical issues you mention Arga with terraforming and large land mass is a problem, would be same as with teleports. Just cant get my head around a good solution.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

yes, the tactical issues you mention Arga with terraforming and large land mass is a problem, would be same as with teleports. Just cant get my head around a good solution.

The (2) new land masses could be considered part of thier beta II island, since they can only be reached from that Island. If an allaince was able to dominate the external TP's, those secondardy islands would make good places to mine, as they create secondary choke points where you can mount a defense if a large group happens to break through the external.... I suppose it would also give you time to log-out-ski if it was an alliance op. But that would be the same with large continent, more warning to bring in or log out, even more so since detectors at choke points would see more than you could from a TP.

Dare I suggest transport boat bots?

Load up the boat on one island, pick your landing spot on another island and have the new island initiate with you in a transport ship a short way off shore with ... thinking on my feet here ... about five minutes required to get to shore and unload during which you will pretty much be a sitting duck.

If the transport ship doesn't get destroyed whilst you're on the island then it can be used to get off too.

Would help with choke points and provide other interesting gameplay aspects too. Admittedly some aspects I almost certainly haven't considered that the more experienced Beta-ites might point out make it a daft idea but hey ... its just an idea smile

Somehow, shore-to-shore transport sounds awesome to me. (Or shore-to-shore mobile teleport). big_smile
You can't just drop it into the current system, but it will shine as a part of a global trabsportation system rebalance.

while the boat idea sounds nice... its based on the assumption that the islands are so close together that you drive with a boat inbetween them within a few minutes.

It must be a very very exotic planet to have three climatic zones / vegetations so close together.
how do you know where a zone ends and another one begins?

Stephanie wrote:

Dare I suggest transport boat bots?

Load up the boat on one island, pick your landing spot on another island and have the new island initiate with you in a transport ship a short way off shore with ... thinking on my feet here ... about five minutes required to get to shore and unload during which you will pretty much be a sitting duck.

If the transport ship doesn't get destroyed whilst you're on the island then it can be used to get off too.

Would help with choke points and provide other interesting gameplay aspects too. Admittedly some aspects I almost certainly haven't considered that the more experienced Beta-ites might point out make it a daft idea but hey ... its just an idea smile

I love it! <3