Topic: Some Small Beta Islands, Please

It's fairly simple. Because corporations want to control a full island, and because this requires a lot of people, they recruit more and more. This leads to progressively larger and larger corporations with bigger and bigger fights.

Frankly, I have little to no interest in 300v300 fights, 150v150, or even 75v75. However, smaller groups of people don't have any way to control a section of an island unless they NAP (non-aggression pact) anyone and everyone. This leads to blob warfare between large island controlling entities, and less frequent small group engagements.

By having lots and lots of smaller islands in addition to a few larger ones, you would allow for smaller corporations to have their own place, outside of corporations they simply are forced to join otherwise if they want to be on a beta island.

Also, smaller islands allow for more small engagements, as well as the element of surprise in ganks and other things. It would keep the solo player or the small group player entertained. In addition, it would allow for larger entities to try to conquer smaller islands, allowing for progressive wars between larger entities accross multiple islands, where progress can be tracked through smaller island conquests.

Things a small island would probably include:
1 terminal, perhaps upgraded facilities like other outposts
2-3 teleport stations
5-6 npc spawns
Ore deposits, but perhaps not every type of ore, depending on the size of said small island.

In fact, simply changing up the sizes of islands in multiple levels would be more interesting and allow for more fun. Have medium sized islands as well. Have islands without any terminal. Basically, island variation would make the game much more competitive and entertaining.

Re: Some Small Beta Islands, Please

your reasoning is wrong

Give them all level 1 facilities, *** bot spawns, and no epriton and you can have it.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

I'm shocked that a large corporation would disagree with me. roll How is my reasoning wrong, exactly?

And why limit the facilities to crap? Having some that are worth something gives people things to fight over. No epriton on any of them makes them pointless and meaningless, and no good spawns means no way to make money outside of mining.

The only reason I could see you wanting these islands to be crap is because you already have control of a large island. Shock! You do have control! But that means you're biased towards wanting a monopoly on all the good stuff, whereas the solo/small group players simply don't care for that. The game needs more diversity - don't let your greed ruin the game's longevity.

Because if its going to be so secluded and small it will be much easier to protect.

Especially if you just want a corner of the owrld to your own, I wouldnt be surprised that you want it easy to protect to prevent attacks.  If thats the case you have less risk, and therefore should get less reward.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

1) They wouldn't necessarily be secluded. Some could be connected to the alpha islands, as extra pathways to the larger beta islands.
2) Miners would be easily ganked, as gates would be nearby at all times on a smaller island, and any traffic through would be able to see them.
3) As soon as cloaks enter the game, small islands become highly vulnerable to small roaming gangs.
4) With so few resources that you could have on an island, you wouldn't want many people on your island. "easy to defend" changes when you only have 15-30 people on the island and a larger corporation sends 100 to take it from you.

Not everything should be on par with larger islands, but some islands with epriton (possibly random moving spawns to prevent the dysporium effect) should exist.

Sounds like a good idea! I think there should be level 0 facilities and a couple of drone spawns on this island. Maybe some green titanium spots. If it had anything useful on it the bigger corps might bully you! We wouldn't want that. sad

A smaller crappy island does not mean people won't blob. Blobs will happen at every level of the game until they are fixed.

The Game

9 (edited by Loco 2010-12-08 00:33:42)

I would disagree with that in this case. By having several islands strung out, you could see people coming via scouts and be able to get safe. Blobs would thus be wandering looking for fights they simply wouldn't get unless another blob decided to fight them.

It's less of a "this will fix blobs do it naow" and more of a "smaller islands would allow for more variety" however.

I like the idea. Gives smaller corps something to fight over.

Think of it like hamlets in agon on the mainland. While the alliances control the outer islands in the corners.

Having 2-3 big alliances duke it out for everything on the board is boring. I want to see smaller wars going on as well.

What's to stop the larger Corps from just taking over all the small Islands too?

Take them back. Why would a large corp protect a small less useful outpost. It would be up to players not to extend alliance territory to include these islands however.

Although I see a flaw with the current block mechanic. Make it that blocks can only be used for same size outposts or something.

It would be a logistical nightmare in comparison to controlling a large island. Instead of controlling a few in/out stations, you'd have to manage many, many more to get the same amount of spawns/ore that a large island has.

14 (edited by Ekim 2010-12-08 03:57:39)

eve hs thousands and thousands of tiny islands yet has insane amounts of blob action

even wormholes suffer from blobs and they just need to be more planned due to mass limits

fact is any game were there is no friendly fire/ bots dont block LOS and a bigger group almost secures victory will have issues with blob warfare

True but atm theres quite a limited number of outposts to own and they are taken by just a few alliances.

Small corps don't have any choice but to ally if they want a piece of beta.

The devs said they'd expand on the islands when there was enough population to support it.

I think we're getting close to it.  Right now anyone else who tries to get a foothold in beta will just get roflstomped if they dont have a very strong player base.  Not to say that any corp should be able to set up shop anywhere they want, but right now its very limiting.

Another question. What is to stop Perpetuum's most dangerous agent from stomping all the arkhes and claiming one of these small beta islands for himself? big_smile

Neoxx wrote:

The devs said they'd expand on the islands when there was enough population to support it.

I think we're getting close to it.  Right now anyone else who tries to get a foothold in beta will just get roflstomped if they dont have a very strong player base.  Not to say that any corp should be able to set up shop anywhere they want, but right now its very limiting.

Agreed. But I think this is also caused by how easy it is to have a few teams camp each teleport and deny all entry. I personally dislike this one alliance = one island gameplay.

Kaito Kurusaki wrote:

I personally dislike this one alliance = one island gameplay.

yeah, me too. Some smaller, less valuable islands would be good to have. also more islands: more possible entry to the bigger islands: less chance for camping all the entrances

Loco,

Agreed, trying to cover small Islands would be a logistical strain, but the point I was trying to make was if there was something of value on the Island, then a Big Corp, or an ally of that Corp, would find a way.

Like Neoxx said though, if it was just a small Island with nothing of value it wouldn't be worth the effort of taking or keeping it.

If they do implement small Islands, and a corporation manages to 'improve' the Island somehow to make it valuable, they had better get protection from a larger corp, or they will find themselves being the target of the next Intrusion. This will happen for sure as the 'Big' corps get more and more pilots and start looking at expanding as opposed to just barely holding what they have.

So, I agree with Seridur and others, smaller less valuable Islands could have the result the OP is looking for, which is smaller engagements.

I hate to be the bubble buster, but even the small ones will end up having someone larger then you take them over. Honestly this thread comes off as "I want a beta island too please", but surely these same big corps would come stomp them if they had the big rewards of beta islands.