1 (edited by Annihilator 2011-11-03 18:40:04)

Topic: How many games do you know, that...

... offer you infinite Storage space?

All games that i have played up to now, had a kind of storage limit. If you wanted to expand it, you had to either pay real money, or do something ingame.

And that even with the given freedom of having magical full access from anywhere in the gameworld (non sandbox games).

Looking at perpetuums infinite storage for zero costs (each agent in each terminal/outpost) or laughable small fee corp storages all around the perpetuum world -> i start to wonder why other games do that...

(lets not talk about the black-hole-driven field containers here)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: How many games do you know, that...

Its a compromise.

In those other games, you have the ability, thru bigger bags, to increase your carrying capcity on the field. In perp, your cargo size is fixed.

The idea being that you may have infinite resources, but you'll never be able to carry more then your cargo's capcity.

pretty sure that Eve gives you unlimted storage in the station... at least i've never hit a cap, and at one point I had a lot of stuff.

Smokeyii wrote:

pretty sure that Eve gives you unlimted storage in the station... at least i've never hit a cap, and at one point I had a lot of stuff.

more info please?

- PoS or indestructible NPC station?
- for free or for fee?
- how did you lose it?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

5 (edited by Kroth 2011-11-04 07:41:34)

in eve they did put in a cap on the number of types of items you could have in one storage folder but i recall it was a huge number and you'd have to be a hell of a packrat to gather that many different stacks of things on one place.

I wish more games would be like perp and let you horde your pixels, i hate having restrictions on stuff smile

Annihilator wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

more info please?

- PoS or indestructible NPC station?
- for free or for fee?
- how did you lose it?

station storage was practicaly unlimited. POS storage was limited by m3 but was extensible via ingame means (no need to pay $$$ extra). also cargo capacity is expandable unlike PO.

I really see no point in limiting storage in this game.

In eve any particular container could contain 1000 entries; be it 1000 units of tritanium or 1000 stacks of it, the limit was in entries, not sheer quantity unless that container had a specific volume (from giant secures at 3900m3 to warehouses with 100 million m3).

Perpetuum's limitless capacity is just fine the way it is, even with the deployable cans; the limit comes in the cargo capacity of your mech (which is fixed at this time).

Yea, Eve is infinite space.

But you are right.. until perpetuum came along, Eve was the only game that offerd that.

Another thing which no game does is retain market data for 12 months...  Single server.. etc

its why the Database gets really really big and needs daily down times, presumably, should that happen to PO they would also need some kind of regular database maintenance.

The lore actually covers this, in that only items deployed to the terrain take up actual physical space, so storage is only limited by memory capacity. So bots, which have limited space for memory, have limited storage capacity. While the outposts have only power and memory.

Which is kind of strange when you think about it. When you run factory lines, your really using CPU time to convert data to material, process a small amount, then convert it back to data.

If you look at the lithus, there appears to be (3) cargo modules built into the chassis. If that's what 80U modules look like, it would explain why smaller bots can't have larger cargo. Also why there are not add on cargo modules, they're simply too bulky to add to combat chassis.

Of course, this doesn't preclude the ability of our scientists to develope a high-density cargo module replacement, which is the same physical size but with more memory capacity, or for us to discover these bots are simply using the 'cheap' disks and the next generation of bots we haven't seen yet may have better power/memory resources.

11 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-04 23:06:03)

Eve had unlimited storage on station, but 1 main difference to perp is the limited factory,RE lines available and some stations didn't have any only refinery, and occasionally not even that. What that did is force some corps to use a Pos, where storage was limited.

So IMO we actually have it quite easy in manufacturing, w/o a Pos to maintain, but I better keep quiet for now yikes

RIP PERPETUUM

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/11/fa … -universe/

Well, at least one world is ending in 2012, it seems: the Lego Universe will be shutting down on January 31, 2012. According to their press release, the MMO was well-received and got a lot of good feedback, but there simply weren’t enough paying customers to keep it going.

If you haven’t checked it out, there’s is a free play area that you can try out, and membership will run you $9.99 a month. Presumably you can still buy in for just a couple months before it all shuts down and give it a spin.

Even freemium models aren't immune ...

RIP Lego Universe Oct 2010-Jan 2012

Again though, you have to remember that there are fairly large franchise fees (NetDevil Studios has to pay to use Lego name) and overhead when you consider the recurring costs and number of subscribers required to keep it going.

MMO is a tuff business to be in.

Arga wrote:

As long as you keep yourself debt-clear you can run indefinitely.  It depends on whether the company backing it is powered by love or money (or, in Perp's case, cardboard robots driven by cats)

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Arga wrote:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/11/fa … -universe/

Well, at least one world is ending in 2012, it seems: the Lego Universe will be shutting down on January 31, 2012. According to their press release, the MMO was well-received and got a lot of good feedback, but there simply weren’t enough paying customers to keep it going.

If you haven’t checked it out, there’s is a free play area that you can try out, and membership will run you $9.99 a month. Presumably you can still buy in for just a couple months before it all shuts down and give it a spin.

Even freemium models aren't immune ...

RIP Lego Universe Oct 2010-Jan 2012

Again though, you have to remember that there are fairly large franchise fees (NetDevil Studios has to pay to use Lego name) and overhead when you consider the recurring costs and number of subscribers required to keep it going.

To be fair, the targeted audience of lego universe usually doesn't even have a credit card... But I do agree that the MMO corner is pretty harsh when it comes to competition.

Kroth wrote:

in eve they did put in a cap on the number of types of items you could have in one storage folder but i recall it was a huge number and you'd have to be a hell of a packrat to gather that many different stacks of things on one place.

I wish more games would be like perp and let you horde your pixels, i hate having restrictions on stuff smile

EVE has a limit at 1k of any single item and you can have 1k of every item at any station. I know, my friend is a pack rat and hit the limit on items at stations. smile

I see no problem with unlimited storeage. I would have a problem if it was unlimited and also global at the same time.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23