101 (edited by Sundial 2011-11-01 03:40:06)

Re: Market... or lack thereof.

I used to buy T2/T3 when it was availabe. Most of the time, it was 1/4 the price of the comparable T4 item (a few months ago). As a noob, I would buy T3 LWFs for 400K compared to 1.6M for a T4.

Since then, I have started to produce T2 for myself which is the thing I fit most often for PvP, so I stopped buying it. I think the market for T2 is really PvPers trying to do some crazy / lightweight fit, but their corp provides those modules to them 9 out of 10 times.

Many corps in the game can make T1/T2/T3, but not all T4. So they buy protos / members find other sources to buy T4 gear (such as Lucius). Thats another reason T4 sells, not just because its better. T1/T2/T3 doesn't sell because its relatively easy to make for an organized corporation. The market for T4 for many corps is simply "filling in the gaps".

With a bigger population, I think there would be a bigger market for T2/T3.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Anyhow, I'll still listen to your concern, and I'll try to make a colleague in DTF produce some key t2 stuff for the market.

Sundial wrote:

And thats really the central issue.

With more players there would be more drops, more demand, more supply, more arbitrage trading, more competition, some items will go up in value some will drop,  more producers would use the market instead of avoiding it...  not just for modules but for all items.  Its called Economy. 

There are things you can do to encourage trading, like giving traders more tools to market themselves,  but it will never really have the same impact as simply having more customers and more competition.

even at its peak of some 900 players the market was tepid at best.

It's too bad the way the game is currently designed closed markets tend to be better for "your corp" than open markets. Assuming you can build the majority of stuff you need in your corp.

With the current design I dont think there will ever be a huge open market without either some changes to player thinking, or game mechanics.

TBH i do like the option for corps to have a closed market BUT i am starting to wonder if it would have been better implemented at a time when the server population was larger.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

106 (edited by Annihilator 2011-11-02 19:21:55)

corp internal market is simply a convenience tool that has absolutely nothing to do with the population size.

before it was implemented, you did it with complicated limited corp storage access and nearly no control.
Corp theft and other negative things have been a common thing.

Its the same as with alliances - some guys say the game should not provide any interface for alliances because of the population size - but still you have them ingame since day 1 (again using inapprotiate interface: squad + chatchannels)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Sade wrote:
Sundial wrote:

And thats really the central issue.

With more players there would be more drops, more demand, more supply, more arbitrage trading, more competition, some items will go up in value some will drop,  more producers would use the market instead of avoiding it...  not just for modules but for all items.  Its called Economy. 

There are things you can do to encourage trading, like giving traders more tools to market themselves,  but it will never really have the same impact as simply having more customers and more competition.

even at its peak of some 900 players the market was tepid at best.

That's because noone had the research then, and those corps that DID get the research weren't going to sell their technological advantage on the open market. I know, I was there and a part of at least one alliance keeping their research off the market. I stated long ago the market wouldnt get any better until there were independent researchers selling their wares on the open market, and a couple months ago a few independent researchers started doing just that.

The corp market thing was already happening, similar to alliances, but they were player driven, requiring spreadsheets or databases externally. RG had a spreadsheet based internal corp market (players sold to the corp, the corp sold back to the player with a slight mark up and cheaper then market).

I've been trying to convince corps to use the market for 8 months now, and they haven't listened yet. It's a catch 22 again in that we need more people using the market, but new players arent going to stick around if there isnt anything to buy. Most corps are only intrested in protecting them and theirs though.

I think what would really open the market up, create competition, and start making things move is a prototyper offering prototypes for 10x the material cost in the show info. A good prototyper will make a profit on 10x, but might lose margin on the finished products if there were enough competition. This would drive the market as the insanely long grind equation would be taken out, MORE people would be making teired items, which in turn fuels the materials sales. Eve solved this problem with blueprint copies.

To date I've only talked to 1 other person who agreed with me (it was his idea actually) on this. Here's the thread. http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … nsequence/

Reset each other yet?

108 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-11-01 16:59:35)

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

I think what would really open the market up, create competition, and start making things move is a prototyper offering prototypes for 10x the material cost in the show info. A good prototyper will make a profit on 10x, but might lose margin on the finished products if there were enough competition.

There are two types of prototypers:

i) Corp-prototypers: These have been lucky enough to be fed almost all the kernels from corporation. Hence, it's mainly the corporation deciding if this research should be shared. Will they? Well, as we've seen in game so far, they're really not keen on this as it means sharing research with enemies, who might still lack certain things. And the 10x be a fairly small  margin in for top-prototypers. Why would a corp share their research for making 10M? Unless you offer super-high margins they really have no incentive to share this. If they want 10M, the corp can just produce some of the items and sell on market, that way they can more easily regulate the supply. If a corp wants to make a profit out of their research, they'd be much better of producing items and selling.

ii) Independent-prototypers: These guys have actually paid for their research, and they know that if they sell a prototype to another producer, that will drive down the price of the module, and eat into the market share. Hence they would only be willing to sell at very high amounts.

In conclusion, selling prototypes at 10x cost in market window (note that this is at best a 100% margin with top skills, personally my prototype multiplier is 6x) is plain stupid at this point. Business-wise it makes far more sense to just sell the modules. Doing what you suggest would mean the person would be far better off mass producing bots and T1 mods.

Further, I am always surprised by the fact that people always complain about T4 margins, but most T4 margins are the same or very close to the margins in a lot of T1/Bots (completely excluding the fact that T4 requires billions in investments).

Yes, I understand all that Lucius, what I was refering to is someone voluntarily taking a cut in profits to enable the market to flourish. It's a stretch, and I doubt anyone who's spent the time and effort to aquire the god-awful amounts of kernels it takes to finish t4 research would willingly accept less for "the good of the game" so-to-speak.

I did see a TOG guy awhile back offering prototypes for 10x mats plus 100k per hour it took to create the prototype in the prototype facility. He didn't have a very large selection of t4 prototypes, but I applauded his initiative.

I wish I had more research myself, I would gladly be the one to offer this hmm

Reset each other yet?

110 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-11-01 23:58:52)

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Yes, I understand all that Lucius, what I was refering to is someone voluntarily taking a cut in profits to enable the market to flourish. It's a stretch, and I doubt anyone who's spent the time and effort to aquire the god-awful amounts of kernels it takes to finish t4 research would willingly accept less for "the good of the game" so-to-speak.

I did see a TOG guy awhile back offering prototypes for 10x mats plus 100k per hour it took to create the prototype in the prototype facility. He didn't have a very large selection of t4 prototypes, but I applauded his initiative.

I wish I had more research myself, I would gladly be the one to offer this hmm

Of course it can happen, just like charity. And yes, probably easy to say you'd offer it now, but come back after you've spent many billion in kernels.

Best chance of this happening is if a prototyper leaves a corp. Which essentially is like someone winning the lottery and then feel he can be nice and give away 50% of his billions. But then, it's not difficult being charitable if you never had to put in any work for it.

An another note, if research was the only thing hindering a flourishing market, how come margins in t1/bots are so high as well? Because people sell to make NIC...

If you want be nice and support the market, there's no need to start complaining about people not sharing research, you can just produce and sell t1/bots on market at cost.

I actually did quit for a month or two (the 15 day come back is why I'm here again, and well university started), however a big reason I didn't just keep subbed and gain EP was i was every day more or less emptying the market of basic stuff, like ammo, lasers etc, even bots to some extent, the game just became annoying because I couldn't get what I needed.
With the extensions now not favouring one build over another I came back hoping to maybe help the game out by supplying the market and thus help myself as well... not that easy...
1: no one's selling resources... (meaning other than the most common ones)
2: some of what are sold is significantly overpriced
3: lack of skills
4: lack of kernels (and someones constantly outbidding me)
5: kernels are expensive
6: lack of funds
7: I don't mine

aka. I think I need a few months tongue

I really do think the market can drive away players.   (the only reason I haven't emptied ammo market more than once yet is because of lack of play time... But at last most t1 mods seem much better stocked now, though can't say I see many bots for sale).

I will stay this time though;
For those who don't know (probably all of you who don't know me from eve) I study MMO's at Staffordshire uni so what I want to do is see how much one (or a few) people can have of an effect on the game, I expect, very little, but who knows, we shall see smile

(written at 4 am, might be a bit incomprehensible)

Most likely the margins are driven by the people who produce the t1 stuff to put on the market. Your margins may be drastically diffrent then the next persons, who may not have as high of a relation, or as many EP in production. Their Cost is higher, but they may be the only ones producing for the market. Then along comes someone with much lower costs that undercuts, but not by much... because they can.

Research isn't the ONLY thing hindering, but it is hindering it, considering you can count on 1 hand the amount of independent production people who produce specifically for the market, in the case of T4. But that is only one bottleneck. Would you willingly take a 15-20% cut on your margins for a 10-15% increase in sales? More production also increases the demand of materials. The increase demand for materials gets more people mining which in turn depletes some spots, which in turn causes people to move further out, move to diffrent islands (including beta).

I'm not saying this to any specific person, you included. I'm also not complaining about people not sharing their research. I know that you and others have spent considerable time and effort to aquire the kernels, and I'm not trying to cheapen your acomplishments either. This isnt a sure-fire bullet cure-all to the problem, but having someone, anyone on the server willing to provide prototypes for t3/t4 at reasonable costs would sure go a long way to stimulate the market.

Reset each other yet?

adriaans wrote:

For those who don't know (probably all of you who don't know me from eve) I study MMO's at Staffordshire uni so what I want to do is see how much one (or a few) people can have of an effect on the game, I expect, very little, but who knows, we shall see smile

If you played Eve, and you played this game, you should know that 1 person can have a very significant impact on the game. If you've followed at all the history of this game you'd know that for certain *cough* styx *cough*

Reset each other yet?

SmokeyIndustries wrote:
adriaans wrote:

If you played Eve, and you played this game, you should know that 1 person can have a very significant impact on the game. If you've followed at all the history of this game you'd know that for certain *cough* styx *cough*

Played eve for more or less 7 years now, so yes I know, but in eve one guy effected the market is another question.. possible yes, but deffo not that easy to manage smile

I hope I can manage to actually affect both the market and the pvp, it would be a fantastic thing to use for when I do my masters wink

I always play the longterm game, don't expect to see me everywhere in a few days tongue

I am sadly not too familiar with the history of this game yet, however I read and remember everything I ever come across, if you want to throw some links/summaries my way, I'd be very grateful smile

115 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2011-11-02 05:22:18)

adriaans wrote:
SmokeyIndustries wrote:
adriaans wrote:

Played eve for more or less 7 years now, so yes I know, but in eve one guy effected the market is another question.. possible yes, but deffo not that easy to manage smile

I hope I can manage to actually affect both the market and the pvp, it would be a fantastic thing to use for when I do my masters wink

I always play the longterm game, don't expect to see me everywhere in a few days tongue

I am sadly not too familiar with the history of this game yet, however I read and remember everything I ever come across, if you want to throw some links/summaries my way, I'd be very grateful smile

be care full for what u wish for smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Open market does not really work like it should because every corp can become self-sufficient the moment they move to ANY beta island and join the local alliance.

they don't need anything out of the territory of their enemies, so theres also no real reason to fight or trade.
they don't even need to trade the non-beta mineral "titan ore" because they can mine it themselfs in safety of the syndicate protection.

The only guys that need to use the market are the solo-player, the alpha dweller that want to get epriton or, the ones who want kernels without need for mindless grinding spots on islands they don't have PvP protection.

adriaans wrote:

read the blogposts, there are not so many of them wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

117 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-11-02 15:59:52)

Can someone please address the following point, which I've stated several times:

Why are t4 margins unacceptable, when they're at approx the same level as bots/t1 margins? If the t4 failure comes from all the reasons you give, the margins in bots/t1 should be really small (which they are not). And if you're all such charitable crusaders, why are you not focusing on driving down margins there first? After all those are the markets that mostly affect new players.

And then, virtually all t4 is supplied on the market. Indeed it has a margin, very similar to bots/t1, but then it has also required billions in research.

And if the problem is t2/t3 availability, I already stated that DTF will start providing the most common ones very soon. Further, t2/t3 prototypes are not that hard to come by, I'd even make those on request myself.

Lucius has awesome prices, I am not complaining about anything cool

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Just two examples of games, which had no or just a very buggy Market/AH and died becouse of this:
- Hellgate:London -> NO Market ... died as it was just boring to have all this nice drobs but no posibility to trade them
- Mythos -> it had a function "search for item name" which never worked ... with around 100 different craft mats it was a pain to find the right ones

Yes, this are very different games.

But no market | buggy market -> games die

With a small playerbase like Perpetuum it's very unclever to further split an allready small market into public/corp markets (which are further split into XXXX different corp markets).

Over all the idear of corp markets is cool. But it NEED a much bigger player base to not hurt.

I don't think anyone is complaining about t4 margins, at least not recently. I think everyone knows that t4 is expensive to make, and therefore expensive to buy.

Smokeyii wrote:

I don't think anyone is complaining about t4 margins, at least not recently. I think everyone knows that t4 is expensive to make, and therefore expensive to buy.

Then what's the complaint about then? Almost all t4 is on market, standard gear is readily, a lot of t2/t3 gear might be missing, but as I said I've already started doing something for this.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

Then what's the complaint about then? Almost all t4 is on market, standard gear is readily, a lot of t2/t3 gear might be missing, but as I said I've already started doing something for this.

Well, I didn't realize that I was complaining. Maybe I do so much of it that anything I say is construed to look like im complaining, but I was more or less debating why the market is the way it is, and rehashing statements I've previously made concerning corps and their internal markets being somewhat of a hinderance to a game built around a market, espically with such a small populations.

Then again, all your problems with not having anything to buy are solved the moment you join one of the afore mentioned corps.

Any economy, not based wholly on trade, is a house of cards.

If players lose confidence in currency, the value of a NIC, then the market also loses credibility since it is based on trading items for NIC.

This has been a problem with self-suffcient corps since release. If you don't need NIC, then there's no reason to participate in the open market.

124 (edited by BugSplat 2011-11-02 21:39:51)

adriaans wrote:
SmokeyIndustries wrote:
adriaans wrote:

Unfortunately this game will not be able to provide you with a great deal of information for your research except at how a poorly seeded market can hamper a game severely.  You will have zero effect on PvP; that is almost entirely internalized.  Very few PvP folks would expect to be competitive with what little they can find on the open market.

As stated before; limited visibility of items due to corp limited listings, throttle market growth.

Sure, there's in-corp sales in Eve, but the market itself is transparent; there is no way to limit sales to corp members only.  So in-corp stuff has considerably less effect on the overall market, even when the game first launched.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
Smokeyii wrote:

Yes, it's not the price point that people complain about (much), it's the fact that they simply cannot find anything.  Even many standard items are not seeded, much less t2/t3, and when they look at t4 most younger players simply choke...  It's like a nuublet in Eve flying his first frigate, that cost 450k, being confronted with T2 guns before invention.  A single T2 small gun could cost more than 4 frigates.  Even after invention a full kitout for a new player can be expensive.
BUT the nuublet can always open the market and 95% of the time find exactly what they're looking for somewhere in the region... and 100% in Jita.

BugSplat wrote:

As stated before; in-corp sales throttle market growth.

I don't see how this is possibly true.

When PIE was selling bots and modules to our miners through the internal market, we were selling them at cost. We were also buying ore at below market value with internal buy orders.

There's no way we were going to put those items up on the open market at cost, and hope our members would happen to log in and buy them,.

Putting the items into the corporate market simply allowed us to better manage how we distributed resources internally. If there was no corporate market, members would have had to wait until we were online to do a trade, or we would have to work on the honor system of dropping it into a corp folder.

I'd be interested in an explaination of that statement, because maybe I'm missing something.