Re: Market... or lack thereof.

if we stay as it is, NeX and friends will have an advantage over the others. I would like if everybody would be allowed(or not) to use these features.

Industrial Junkie

Yes, a crushing advantage. After all, we'll have less ep, less tech, less experience, no beta island (currently) and no significant pvp allies but we WILL have our black market!

Clearly we need a nerfing.

I don't like it. But it's already happening, so there's not a lot of choice.

Aeon, it's not NeX's market specifically. Its more that the idea is now in the open and it's inevitable that something like what Tamas is doing will happen, especially as it's being promoted as a cheap way to exchange goods without limits just as you described doing.

Dev's don't have to nerf anything, just do as you asked and reduce tax on the open market.

Devs were warned about things before that players have found to be destructive in nature, but they did nothing until they saw the glaring truth of the notion in action. Here we are again.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

We exploit the mechanisms available to us. Why spend EP to gain exactly what we get out of the corporate market? Silliness in the extreme!

At the least let us set up a tax system on said market so that we can tax transactions on it and gain the revenue for the corp. It'd make the whole thing very much so more interesting!

AeonThePiglet wrote:

We exploit the mechanisms available to us. Why spend EP to gain exactly what we get out of the corporate market? Silliness in the extreme!

At the least let us set up a tax system on said market so that we can tax transactions on it and gain the revenue for the corp. It'd make the whole thing very much so more interesting!

I support THIS.

Lower all the tax, and tax them both.  That way nic stays in the corp but the CORP benefits from people using the corp market.  It would be a good step towards making BLATANT capitalism a more viable choice (at the moment, NeX is a hybrid).

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

83 (edited by Arga 2011-08-18 19:15:42)

Allowing corps to tax transaction is even more incentive to create player markets, and subdivide the available goods and buyers even more.

Turning the economy into a PVP arena, with totally seperate markets competing with each other is a totally awesome idea, but the rest of perp's mechanics are setup to deal with it. It's a bad idea. Kudo's for being the first, but lets make it a footnote and not the way to do business.

Just the thought of having to put alts in 4 or 5 markets is probably a marketeers dream, but from the supply side, it like the though of continually ramming my capsule against a gate camp.

Contracts.

----
I play MMOs. I need a signature which is deep, thought provoking, and devours bandwidth with the voracity of rabid weasels. It is also, by nature, vaguely sad with a tinge of my obvious internal, unfathomable loneliness. Like this, sad  , but at 1.3megs packed into 2 by 6 inches. ANIMATED.

Contracts. Want.

Imagine if the market only showed items at the outpost you were docked at. Dividing the into player markets will result in the same situation. It will require everyone to put an alt in each market corp to find what they want, and players not willing to do that will only see the smallest portion of the overall market.

It's just unfathomable that the devs don't see that.

The way the Corp market is setup and the way the public market is now, it WILL end up going to all private markets, just because there's a very large incentive to do so.

86 (edited by AeonThePiglet 2011-08-18 19:57:22)

I have an alternative suggestion.

Ditch the public market entirely and allow corps to sell access to their internal markets. Every order on that market is tagged by that corp, and if you buy access to multiple markets you can see them all simultaneously (with their corp tags). Corps can set the fee for access at anywhere from 0 to infinity. They can also set different prices at different relationship levels (so you could make it such that people set -5 pay 10mil for access, and people set -10 can't buy access at all, while people at +10 have automatic access). Or you can just deny access to everyone. Whatever!

You'd also be able to set a renewal period for the access (anywhere from a day to a year), or just set the period to infinite.

A corp could also buy access for its members by paying the fee times the number of members they've on average had in the last thirty days.

Players could click a button that shows all inaccessible orders, and the price/volume tracking function could be set to show the results of all transactions in an outpost, only transactions in markets you can use, or only your market.

I think this feature would help alliances and indy corps the most. Indy corps would be able to engage in outright competition, negotiating deals for their minerals and setting people red who annoy their miners (locking them out from buying the minerals entirely). A good market would provide a hefty sum to the corp wallet in the form of access purchasing, but newbies wouldn't be excluded entirely from the market (with said feature, NEX would probably sell neutrals access for a very minimal sum).

Use NPC b/s orders in newbie corp markets (taxed at anywhere from 1% to 5%) to cover the gap, and allow vets to buy access (for a nominal fee, say 50k nic) to said newbie corps to list things there.

All in all I think this would be a _very_ cool feature.

It'd give indy corps something to do and fight over (you won't sell us access? We'll set you red to lock you out and also bribe other corps to do the same, so ha!) without having to shoot one another, and would allow better and easier collaboration between corps in an alliance, who'd no longer have to deal with a fragmented market (they could set each other green and set green to automatic market access, creating an instant shared market). Finally, it'd provide corps with an incentive to increase market activity and a means of earning income from their members without those members having to mission or donate.

I mean, good god. This is something that would be so easy to do in this game (95% of it is already there, just gotta add a few more features and voila) and would enormously increase the fun of market pvp! It'd be more like Patrician than EVE!

Whatcha think? Should I open a suggestion thread?

I guess I'd rather get contracts first.

Making a for profit Shopping Network is a good idea, but I think its more of a remake of the market then adding in and changing around a few features.

Arga wrote:

I guess I'd rather get contracts first.

Making a for profit Shopping Network is a good idea, but I think its more of a remake of the market then adding in and changing around a few features.

If we could sell access to our internal market, and other corps could do the same, the game would go from a bunch of fragmented crappy markets to a network of interconnected ones. Corps like yours would benefit the most on the sales perspective, and corps like ours (with lots of consumers) would benefit from negotiating access sales.

I mean, imagine if you could buy access to our internal market, and we sold said access with the understanding that no other indy corp would be sold access. You'd have sole supplier rights to a corp full of hungry consumers. We'd have a supplier who could provide us with more goodies than we're capable of producing on our own.

Wouldn't that be a far more interesting market model than the current one where .01nic and spreadsheet analysis is considered the height of the art? For the first time in a long time (possibly ever), an mmo would have a market system that incorporated all the negotiating and lies and supplier networks a real world market uses. That'd be some cool ish right there.

But nex isn't the 'only' market for sales. If I paid 10m for access, I want to get the most for my money, so would put the majority of items in there. Good for me, good for Nex, bad for everyone else. Or probably more likely, I endup in a bidding war for exclusive access, good for Nex, bad for me.

Trying to leverage being the largest consumer market in the game is good business sense,  and good game strategy. Being large enough to bend a game mechanic so that it actually has the potential to ruin the game is not so good for everyone else. It's not your responsiblity to NOT do this, its the Dev's to realize the negative potential and correct it.

In your example, as long as everyone is part of the Nex market its good. But it gives your corp an enourmous amount of power in the game, based soley on the fact that you have the largest member base.

Arga wrote:

But nex isn't the 'only' market for sales. If I paid 10m for access, I want to get the most for my money, so would put the majority of items in there. Good for me, good for Nex, bad for everyone else. Or probably more likely, I endup in a bidding war for exclusive access, good for Nex, bad for me.

Trying to leverage being the largest consumer market in the game is good business sense,  and good game strategy. Being large enough to bend a game mechanic so that it actually has the potential to ruin the game is not so good for everyone else. It's not your responsiblity to NOT do this, its the Dev's to realize the negative potential and correct it.

In your example, as long as everyone is part of the Nex market its good. But it gives your corp an enourmous amount of power in the game, based soley on the fact that you have the largest member base.

If you list an item it has your tag, and is visible to everyone who has bought access to your corp. We'd actually probably have to buy access to your market in this example, as I doubt you'd want to access our orders. Maybe for ore, but otherwise not really. But we'd probably demand a steep discount because, hey, we actually buy things!

We probably don't have the largest member base anymore (I don't think so, anyway). What gives us market power is that we've got a large base of pvpers who buy their own gear, and a large group of pvers who are constantly upgrading to new gear. Most of the other corps out there are small, already upgraded or supply themselves. We're the only net importers serious net importers of gear.

What we lack is seing who the seller actualy is. That way I know who can produce what (the sell order is something like an advert) and go to them for discounts :-) Also we need something to distinguish the producer from the loot seller.

Also please PLEASE a full contracting system with buy/sell/auction/BARTER contracts.

Forget about trying to fix the market tools. Buying/Selling on the market is so yesterday.

Well...

I set aside the game, quite forgot about it actually, until this latest promotion.

And still... no market.  Actually, much less market even.

Devs need to step up and take action; without a market and no NPC market to speak off, using a subscription model, there's nothing to keep the new players coming because there's nothing for them to purchase and thus no way for them to progress forward.

Private markets are all well and good, but they're going to result in zero open market activity, flat stopping new players dead in their tracks.  Perp has promise, but not when it's door is shut to newcomers.

BugSplat wrote:

Well...

I set aside the game, quite forgot about it actually, until this latest promotion.

Devs need to step up and take action; without a market and no NPC market to speak off, using a subscription model, there's nothing to keep the new players coming because there's nothing for them to purchase and thus no way for them to progress forward.

Private markets are all well and good, but they're going to result in zero open market activity, flat stopping new players dead in their tracks.  Perp has promise, but not when it's door is shut to newcomers.

Which items?

Bugs plat: which item are you looking for honestly? I have no trouble finding 95 percent of the stuff. Please ask what you need  lucius can provide  nearly all of the high tech gear and all bots. I sell all ammo types  and most tier 1 items. No need for devs to fix anything, this is a player Market and I am sure other player are eager to sell stuff for nic.

RIP PERPETUUM

Lucius Provides for the finest warez in the land!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Bad necro:

To stay on topic: all true smile  Market offers some t1 items in semi-quantities and some t4 being sold by ** tycoons, with other odds and ends in between. Moar liquidity is needed for any and all items, but it'll only come if player base volume increases.

Tootsies.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:
BugSplat wrote:

Well...

Which items?

On the open market, not nicked out of a closed corporate hangar and privately sold between whomever this fellow is and myself.
A basic search?  Pretty much any t2 or t3, most t4 items on the market are so bloated it's not worth more than a glance and a laugh.  There are no marketers out there competing to drive prices down, but then there are no purchasers out there to drive prices up.

TOG, which I joined yesterday, is aware of this and ... well, like any other corp out there just shrugs and maintains internal markets or just internal stock bins.  You're looking for something you just ask, someone either has something in their stash or can produce it.
Not that much of it will ever see the open market; it's consumed internally for the most part.  I'm sure CIR, NeX, and any others are the same way.  Four or five t4 producers, who got in before the research nerf, can barely produce enough for the corp, much less enough to slap on the open market.

T2 and T3 seldom see the market because what's not in use on bots goes into T4 straightaway.

A player driven economy is a great way to make a game dynamic, but restrictions on those markets must be reduced, or altogether eliminated, for the early life of a game so that the market can become established.  Perp seems to have missed something to enable growth, but I'm no economist to point out the fine details;  I only see the big huge gaping hole where a dynamic, active market was supposed to go.

99 (edited by Lucius Marcellus 2011-11-01 02:01:04)

First of all, in general people seem to have a strong preference for either going cheap t1 fit or expensive t4 fit. There is little supply of t2/t3 on the market because there is a very low demand, and thus it's barely worth trying to sell. This is evidenced by the fact that many people actually have this research, but still are not willing to sell it on market, as the turnover is so bad. At the moment, it's purely bad business.

Secondly, the margins on t4 are at the moment on the same level as t1-t3 and most bots - what really makes the t4 business good is that it's a decent turnaround and reasonably high-value items, and not that is has higher margins than other stuff (in general it doesn't).

And are you surprised corps sell cheaper than market to you? In almost any game you'd see this type of effect (here it does happen to be more pronounced as it's a very small population), you don't think 0.0 corps in eve sell cheaper T2 to their members than can be found on market? It's purely a result of the fact that corps are there purely for the support of their members, while the market is purely a business.

Anyhow, your complaint has little to do with game mechanics, and this type of 'problem' will disappear as soon as the population goes up. If you really felt this needed changing, you have the power to do so. That is why this game is called a sandbox. I'm doing what I can about it, are you? (Don't even give me the sad story how all old timers got easy research back in the day, this is to some extent true, but I got almost all my mech research after it became more difficult, showing that it's still possible, and if your goal was to just build t2/t3 stuff it wouldn't be even nearly as difficult)

BugSplat wrote:

A player driven economy is a great way to make a game dynamic, but restrictions on those markets must be reduced, or altogether eliminated.

Which frictions? The tax rate? (that's the only friction in the market I can think of) If so I might agree the tax rate might be too high, but then the game needs serious NIC sinks...

It's really a catch 22 situation, as with the amount of people that play, there's not much of a market for producers to sell to, and there's not many producers to sell and compete with other producers. This also goes back to my previous efforts to keep espitium in t1 stuff as now the jump to t2 is quite a big diffrence in price for the end user that they don't want to spend the extra nic for a slightly better item (less weight and easier to fit), and the much more expensive t3 stuff that is better. And, like Lucius said... if you're going to spend the money on T3, you might as well go ahead and get the best in t4.

In a free open market such as this, the only thing that's going to change is if more people start using it. Realisiticly you're not going to get corporations to stop selling to their members, 1 because there's not much speculation (you make and sell what your members want) and the members are getting the end product often times for less then market value.

If there were 1000 people online at any time, the amount of things on the market would improve. Asking the devs to step in is a bit ludicris because for the most part t1 stuff IS on the market, which new players would be more inclined to buy anyways. And most T4 stuff is either on the market or advertised quite alot by the few that can make it. I've personally purchased all of the t4 stuff I've gotten in the last few months from other players, so it can be had.

Reset each other yet?