Topic: New devblog: Skittering Arkhes

We'll have another surprise in today's patch:

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … ng-arkhes/

Re: New devblog: Skittering Arkhes

Today, sweet!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Its jumping like a hamster.

I'm really appreciate this changes. It should be awesome to see updated animation of mechs and heavies.

GJ!

I have to say it looks much better.

It was always annoying to me that the bots feet would slide over the ground when moving.
I hate "gliding" in games it just looks so stupid

This looks amazing. Animal like. It turns into a bouncing leap forward!

I love it. Kains.. Will Look.. Soo Good..

6 (edited by Cobalt 2011-10-28 13:26:39)

Im not often commenting devblogs, but i have to say im impressed. It is very realistic, and finally we are freed from the legs moving like flies wing (unrealistic, it would need a massive amount of energy to move those legs forward and backward so swiftly).  For those who think its more animal like, and not enough "robot" like: care to studie a bit about zoomorphism, youll get all the answers you need there. The locomotion part of the robots are zoomorphs (except the wheels but this case is simple):  spider like legs, lezard like legs, biped like legs.  The true good animation for those is what they came up with = zoomorphist animations. Its 100% logical and they couldnt do otherwise, to maintain the physical and energetic consumption realism.

Thats as simple as that.  You need to make an animation, where the "feets" when touching ground, must not slide too much, but the body goes forward at the needed speed. Logically, the more the speed, the more the distance between two steps (horse trot/galop analogy). But for the old method, they just decided to accelerate the animation, retaining the "ground touching point" spacing. That ended with so fast legs and high frequency of complete movement for light EW, they looked like flies wings, moving too fast for we could see them clearly.

I feel like they made something that looks like lizard movement (due to legs shape and ratio to body height) they will certainly chose something different for different morphologies. Im a bit in modeling/animation, all i can say: great job, very realistic, not too much twitch.  Hope that will be realistic on 45° slopes too, why not.

I always loved object shapes (well except robots heads i feel like too big, smaller heads would help with the "huge robots/world" feeling. Imo the vagabond head/body ratio is perfect, more to the head is too much imo), now i love animations too smile

I am very impressed. yarr

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Cobalt wrote:

For those who think its more animal like, and not enough "robot" like: care to studie a bit about zoomorphism, youll get all the answers you need there. The locomotion part of the robots are zoomorphs (except the wheels but this case is simple):  spider like legs, lezard like legs, biped like legs.  The true good animation for those is what they came up with = zoomorphist animations. Its 100% logical and they couldnt do otherwise, to maintain the physical and energetic consumption realism.

I very much agree. But I do hope they make the cameleon move more like a spider than a deer. wink

Another more mechanical way is to keep the legs fixed and rotate the base, almost like a horizontal wheel. But from an animation point, its not as interesting, and really the 'cooler' the movement looks the better for the game; realism can suck a beacon smile

This is why martial arts movies use wires and other tricks, sure a real round house to the jaw is going to hurt, but a jumping spinning kick makes for better theatrics! One of my favorite scenes is in Flying Dragons when they are moving through the bamboo trees (moving? Flying!).

I'm especially impressed by the smoothness of the transition from walking to running! I didn't notice the switch at first and had to do some rewinding to actually spot it.

Other than buildings you can pass through, the "leg-blur" was my biggest/only graphical beef, so copious amounts of kudos to the Devs!

Tomo Meiji wrote:

I'm especially impressed by the smoothness of the transition from walking to running! I didn't notice the switch at first and had to do some rewinding to actually spot it.

Yes. Since I started drinking beer many Winters ago, I was impressed by fluid(s) movement and here we have a fine example! GJ devs smile

It looks very sweet Zoom.

Please don't change Kain walking animation tho, it marches in tune to the Soviet national anthem. big_smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

The Arkhe actually looked menacing when it was at full speed.

Syndic wrote:

It looks very sweet Zoom.

Please don't change Kain walking animation tho, it marches in tune to the Soviet national anthem. big_smile

Please change it then.....

oh noes, why don't i see here the usually whining that a DEV didn't work on something "more important" then just a visual thing?

ontopic: the forward legs of the arkhe do not reach far enough forward in gallop mode.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

When using an Arkhe it looks great but for some reason looking at other Arkhes looks really bad for some reason. It's jittery and the front legs don't reach far enough in my opinion.

i say its a huge improvement. Good job. Your small team is always surprising me.

"False friends are like our shadow, keeping close to us while we walk in the sunshine, but leaving us the instant we cross into the shade."